Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2016, 08:49 AM   #1
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts
Default Oooop's

Picked my boat up at Winnisquam Marine yesterday and headed home in a brisk wind. It was a beautiful sunny day and the boat was running nicely.....until I took out the lower unit on a submerged rock at 40MPH.
Don't know if the rock grew over the winter or the navigation marker moved but I was about 30' outside of the marker.
We were able to paddle and pole to an empty dock and secure the boat but it wasn't looking too pretty. No damage to the boat, though.
Guess I'll find out how good my BoatUS coverage is.
By the way, I did take a picture shortly after it happened and it clearly shows the trail of my prop wash well outside of the marker although I don't know if it makes a difference for an insurance claim.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:55 AM   #2
Winnisquamer

Where was this said rock? The rest of us would like to avoid it this season!!
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:56 AM   #3
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Well that sure must have ruined your day. Good that the boat did not get damaged.

Could you pass on the specific location?
Slickcraft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:34 AM   #4
SAMIAM

Type in 520 Shore Drive, Laconia NH on Google earth......that's where we borrowed a dock that wasn't in use. The marker is right there and I'm guessing the rock was 20' to 30' west of the red marker.
The Following User Says Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
dave603 (04-28-2016)
Old 04-28-2016, 11:21 AM   #5
Winnisquamer

I would hope for customer service sake seeing as you just picked up your boat from Winnisquam that they would be willing to give you a tow back to their docks (assuming you launched there)....

And hmm I wasn't aware of too many hazards in that area.. I will have to carefully investigate that area this weekend.
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2016, 11:46 AM   #6
Rattletrap

Default oops

Someone should let MP know
Old 04-28-2016, 11:50 AM   #7
Hillcountry

I see the rock and the red marker too...if, in fact it is that large long rock just south of the dock...the marker sure seems like it's in the wrong place by the Earth photo. Sorry for the troubles! That would ruin my day for sure.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:59 AM   #8
Dave R

What I learned when I backed into a rock taking my boat of the trailer at a ramp in Maine a few years ago: If the drive is over 10 years old, they will value the parts at 10% of retail, but they will pay full labor.

BoatUS Insurance covered everything that was even slightly damaged by the impact and I only changed the parts that were unusable so I ended up making a few grand on the deal. If you can change the broken stuff yourself, you can likely cover the parts at new cost. That said, I'd shop for used parts and pocket the extra money. You had used parts when you started the trip...

What kind of drive and what broke?
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 12:07 PM   #9
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Is this what we're talking about (the marker center and rock south)?

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

Last edited by thinkxingu; 04-28-2016 at 01:36 PM.
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:12 PM   #10
Dad sold the C * C

Oh, that really stinks, heck of a way to start the season.

Yikes that's right across from me. It's my late evening "take a left here" marker.

Last year I kayaked around there and was surprised by the number of boulders from there down to the state park.
Dad sold the C * C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:34 PM   #11
dave603

I always give that area a wide berth at least until the park area.
Hard to tell whats under there.
dave603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:52 PM   #12
SIKSUKR

I would think there would be another marker to cover the south side of that rock.I dont have chart of Winnisquam but is there one missing?
Old 04-28-2016, 02:48 PM   #13
Phantom

A truly unfortunate event for SAMIAM .....

But let others beware ..... In early Season, the markers may have moved (radically) and in some cases disappeared altogether .... regardless if Winnisquam or the Big Lake

Old 04-28-2016, 06:33 PM   #14
SAMIAM

Could have been worse. We're insured and its early in the season. we were close to shore and able to pole&paddle to a dock. I will say that Bennington was a handful in the wind getting into a dock.
Winnisquam Marine was great. Greg, the service manager had it picked up even though it was after 5 by the time I reached him.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:37 PM   #15
SAMIAM

Misspoke ...Gary in service. Not Greg
Old 04-28-2016, 08:36 PM   #16
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Good luck with the repairs Bob!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 06:14 AM   #17
Kamper

I almost had a similar incident once but I had an eye on my chart-plotter (Bizer chip). When I noticed the discrepancy I slowed down and steered wide of the area.

Remember. Technology is a wonderful thing and he who dies with the most toys wins!

Better luck next time.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:46 PM   #18
Flotnjr

Your insurance company will cover your repair 100%- doesn't even matter what side of the marker you are on. You are in good hands with Winnisquam and their service department. Too bad about the accident- but nobody got hurt, and boats can be fixed. Better now than in a month!
Flotnjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 05:00 AM   #19
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Picked my boat up at Winnisquam Marine yesterday and headed home in a brisk wind. It was a beautiful sunny day and the boat was running nicely.....until I took out the lower unit on a submerged rock at 40MPH.
Don't know if the rock grew over the winter or the navigation marker moved but I was about 30' outside of the marker.
We were able to paddle and pole to an empty dock and secure the boat but it wasn't looking too pretty. No damage to the boat, though.
Guess I'll find out how good my BoatUS coverage is.
By the way, I did take a picture shortly after it happened and it clearly shows the trail of my prop wash well outside of the marker although I don't know if it makes a difference for an insurance claim.
Sam, it sounds like you were navigating by the marker/map? Do you, or does anyone know, if GPS shows the marker in a different place?

This might be an example of how GPS adds to navigational success?

thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 06:34 AM   #20
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

The one and only time we ever hit a rock while traveling on the lake was going through the six pack. It was fall when the water was down and we were well inside the buoy but whether the buoy got moved or what, I don't know. But we lost a prop.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 06:38 AM   #21
Gavia immer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
I see the rock and the red marker too...if, in fact it is that large long rock just south of the dock...the marker sure seems like it's in the wrong place by the Earth photo. Sorry for the troubles! That would ruin my day for sure.
I see the red marker, too. The MPs would never put that marker within 150 feet of the shoreline, as it appears to be.
Gavia immer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 11:06 AM   #22
DickR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
The one and only time we ever hit a rock while traveling on the lake was going through the six pack. It was fall when the water was down and we were well inside the buoy...
Assuming you mean the "six pack" off the east point of Long Island, can you pinpoint just where in the six pack you were? Does anyone have a link to a decent aerial view of the area that would show the shallow areas? I've never had any issue with that passage at any time of the fall, but I'd like to know where there is something close enough to hit at low water.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 12:17 PM   #23
Leoskeys

Here is our oops from last weekend. We were going headway speed approaching a friends dock. My wife opened the walkthrough door/windshield to access the bowcover and docklines to tie-up. The glass door slipped out of her hands and the impact and/or vibration shattered the port windshield. Shocked that occurred on a 2015 boat with sixty hours. I've never seen it happen in 20 years of boating. Worst part is that my marina said it'll be 3-4 weeks before they can replace it!
Photo should be attached.
Attached Images

Leoskeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 01:15 PM   #24
8gv

My windshield almost met that fate as well. I still wonder how it didn't.

I was piloting my boat many miles through very rough seas for about two hours. When I turned to enter a channel the wind was now under the opened part of the windshield. It tore the retaining strap and smashed loudly against its mating part. It scared the crap out of me! All of the pounding must have sawed away at the strap.

SAM:

Thank you for stimulating the marine services sector of our economy!

I too have contributed in past years...
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 01:35 PM   #25
Lakeboater

Default Glass co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoskeys View Post
Here is our oops from last weekend. We were going headway speed approaching a friends dock. My wife opened the walkthrough door/windshield to access the bowcover and docklines to tie-up. The glass door slipped out of her hands and the impact and/or vibration shattered the port windshield. Shocked that occurred on a 2015 boat with sixty hours. I've never seen it happen in 20 years of boating. Worst part is that my marina said it'll be 3-4 weeks before they can replace it!
3-4 weeks seems like a long wait. Have you tried a glass or windshield replacement company? I would think they would be able to get the right piece of glass a lot quicker.
Lakeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 03:03 PM   #26
Leoskeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeboater View Post
3-4 weeks seems like a long wait. Have you tried a glass or windshield replacement company? I would think they would be able to get the right piece of glass a lot quicker.

The marina said the entire port side windshield needs to be replaced. Taylormade has a monopoly I guess? And for some reason they don't keep them in stock.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:20 PM   #27
AB_Monterey

ooop's?

Hope the insurance is painless.
AB_Monterey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:23 AM   #28
SAMIAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Sam, it sounds like you were navigating by the marker/map? Do you, or does anyone know, if GPS shows the marker in a different place?

This might be an example of how GPS adds to navigational success?

Actually, I wasn't using my GPS because I've been by that marker many times so I'm thinking the ice might have moved it closer to shore.
The Following User Says Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (05-01-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 03:11 PM   #29
Bizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
... Do you, or does anyone know, if GPS shows the marker in a different place? ...
I've been to FL02 three times over the past 20 years. Each reading is within the pink circle.

I do not believe the small, red dot about two inches above the rock is the buoy itself because (A) the photograph is probably 2015, and (B) the buoys are too small to be seen. The buoys are only about six inches in diameter. Look in the boat on the pier. The smallest thing that would be visible would be about three feet in diameter.
Attached Images

Bizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:05 PM   #30
NoBozo

I've been doing the lake for over 20 years with a 20 foot Donzi at various times of the year..usually in late September. I have hit a rock on one occasion.... I was just idling along, at headway speed, looking at the Real Estate on shore..and Boom. Destroyed my SS Cleaver Prop and bent my skeg. There was a "mark" nearby that I missed. I wasn't paying attention. I TOTALLY Accept Responsibility for that miss.

I hate it when people can't accept that THEY screwed up, and want to blame it on the Chart, OR the buoy is somewhere else...OR Something..... STUPID. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:16 PM   #31
DBreskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavia immer View Post
The MPs would never put that marker within 150 feet of the shoreline, as it appears to be.
I've seen markers on Winnipesaukee that are within 150' of shoreline. There are some examples around Nineacre Island and Whaleback island, as well as FL50.
DBreskin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DBreskin For This Useful Post:
dpg (05-04-2016)
Old 05-11-2016, 05:28 PM   #32
Hillcountry

Anyone know if the marker in question has been "fixed" with regard to it's position near that rock?
I'm launching my new boat for the first time tomorrow on Winnisquam (after Winnsquam Marine replaces my battery) and was wondering about it...
Old 05-11-2016, 06:30 PM   #33
Leoskeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoskeys View Post
Hello all, an update on my situation. I called BoatUS two weeks ago to submit my claim to have windshield replaced. I'm still waiting on them to approve the replacement of the windshield. And I'm calling every-other-day to check in. Pretty poor experience.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:34 PM   #34
Dad sold the C * C

I have not Been out yet, but as someone pointed out it is sort of in line with some other markers and you have to be fairly close to shore.
Looking at the chart now and I think it's FL2, I normally stay away from that point.

Hope all goes well, and you have an enjoyable day. We hope to unwrap the boat this weekend and get everything ready to put the dock in soon.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dad sold the C * C For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (05-11-2016)
Old 05-11-2016, 06:59 PM   #35
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad sold the C * C View Post
I have not Been out yet, but as someone pointed out it is sort of in line with some other markers and you have to be fairly close to shore.
Looking at the chart now and I think it's FL2, I normally stay away from that point.

Hope all goes well, and you have an enjoyable day. We hope to unwrap the boat this weekend and get everything ready to put the dock in soon.
Thank you for that info...I need to get a Winnisquam chart soon.
I have operated on W-squam for years without incident as it is pretty much, an "open" lake. This will, however, be the first time with my own boat.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:15 PM   #36
Hillcountry

Quote:

What a great day! We launched from the F&G ramps without a hitch (1st time with a boat other than a 14 ft aluminum) then Cruised at about 1200 rpms while I figured out how to trim the out drive for holding a headway( for a while I was having to correct way too much) the I trimmed down all the way and solved that conundrum...we went to the loon sanctuary and just drifted for an hour (very little breeze...then we hugged the western shore all the way back to mosquito bridge and over into the south side of the lake made a loop and back to the F&G ramps...nice day in the sun! Had a picnic lunch somewhere in there too..��
Old 05-12-2016, 08:07 PM   #37
Dad sold the C * C

It was nice out. Glad you had a nice outing in your new boat. Did you happen to notice the water temperature?
Old 05-12-2016, 08:45 PM   #38
Hillcountry

Quote:
It was nice out. Glad you had a nice outing in your new boat. Did you happen to notice the water temperature?
Thanks!
Yes...50 to 53 on the north side and warmer south of mosquito...as high as 57 in some of the shallows.