Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2012, 09:59 PM   #1
Pinklake

Default HELP My Flowers !!!!!

I really need to stop the deer from eating all my flowers and plants. I tried Irish Spring, it seemed to work for a couple of weeks, and when I came back to the house friday, All my flowers were now stumps!!!!!

Did the rain wash away all my Irish Spring or should I be trying something else????????

Any advice would be sooooo appreciatd!!!!!
Pinklake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:26 PM   #2
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Grain Stores

Places like Tractor Supply or the grain stores in the area should carry deer repellant.

We did have a squirrel that ate the blossoms off our Peonies. Sat right by the window and watched him climb up the support we have for them, bite the bulbs off and carry them away like an oversize acorn. Weird.

House behind us through the woods has had to put up electric fence to keep the deer away from their hemlock bushes. He tried everything and that was the only thing that worked. He had the fence up for two years and just took it down...hopefully they have moved on and won't return. The fence was ugly!

Good luck.
Pinklake (06-11-2012)
Old 06-10-2012, 10:44 PM   #3
Bear Island South

My wife is having the same problem with our plants. We went the past several weeks with no sign, but this weekend they were back. We have tried the deer repellent, but if you are not there to apply after it rains the scent is washed away.
I suggested we get some motion detected Halloween decorations that jump up and make some weird noise.
Bear Island South is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bear Island South For This Useful Post:
Pinklake (06-11-2012)
Old 06-11-2012, 06:09 AM   #4
RLW

Smile

Pinklake, I just noticed that you are fairly new to the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends. Sorry to hear about your problem with the deer as we also had that problem until we moved here permanently and then an only then it all stopped. I’m sure the friendly members will give you many great suggestions on how to prevent them from having a gourmet meal of your flowers and shrubs. Best of luck.

Pinklake (06-13-2012)
Old 06-11-2012, 06:11 AM   #5
JDeere

Default combo

The most effective way to keep the deer away is a combo of deterrents.

First use “Liquid Fence” do not waste your time or money on the others. Liquid Fence will work. Spray every 2 weeks or so paying attention to new growth that has not been sprayed.

Second, I cut the Irish spring in to 4 pieces and try to put some under the plants I am protecting. The mice eat them so you have to do it more than once per season.

I am 100% sure this will work for you.
JDeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2012, 08:29 AM   #6
jmen24

I have always used other plants and flowers as my repellent and it has worked well.

Although they did grab about 60% of the 150 transplants into a wood edge flower garden area this spring. Will allow the non-attractive-to-deer plants grow this year and transplant again next year.

At the bottom of this link is a listing a plants deer generally will not eat. I have many annual flowers mixed through my garden as well. Helps with pollination by attracting bees and keeps the deer from sniffing around.

http://usagardener.com/disease_pests...the_garden.php

The spray type repellents seem to have a good effect and I like the idea of a motion activated system. Would be funny to see the kids activate that as well when they walk by.

Last edited by jmen24; 06-11-2012 at 09:35 AM.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jmen24 For This Useful Post:
Pinklake (06-13-2012)
Old 06-11-2012, 01:44 PM   #7
Whimsey

My neighbor uses a motion activated water sprinkler. It uses a 9 volt battery that lasts the season. Works pretty well.
Whimsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:12 PM   #8
Dog's Ear

I use Deer Away, it smells terrible, but seems to work. I sprayed it on my garden at ground level and they have not touched it (yet......). I have never worried about the potted plants on my deck (about 4 steps up from the ground), however after being gone 5 days we arrived back at camp on Saturday morning and they had come up on the deck and ate my potted geraniums, basil and OxAlice plants. I was so upset. I have now sprayed my potted plants (not the basil). We also had some gates that we used to use when the grandkids were little to keep them on the deck away from the water. We are putting those up to see if that will help as well. So far we have seen 4 deer on Whortleberry this year, last year only 3.
Dog's Ear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dog's Ear For This Useful Post:
Pinklake (06-13-2012)
Old 06-11-2012, 03:02 PM   #9
Rangervx

don't shoot the messenger...but the best and most effective trick for me is good 'ole "number 1". no joke...it works. you are essentially marking your territory. if you live in a rural setting...no problem...if not, have to resort to night-time manuvers. saves water as well. total cost= $0.00!!! not sure??? google it!!!!!!!!
Rangervx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:22 PM   #10
SAB1

#1 won't stop them. They are not altered by the scent of human urine. # 2 might help though!

I had a friend that had trouble with them and she swore by the scented dryer sheets.

Aside from that, come mid mid September hunt them..............they taste great!
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:53 PM   #11
Rangervx

i have anywhere from 5 to 30 deer on my property nightly...and never touch my flowers...and cant tell you how many bunnies...works for me
Rangervx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:10 PM   #12
chipj29

I have bought the deer repellent at Home Depot and it works quite well. The deer seem to have a taste for the hostas. I spray them a couple times a year, and the deer do not eat them.

One downside is the stuff literally smells like roadkill. The first time I sprayed it, my dogs went absolutely insane for about 10 minutes. The smell does not permeate the air for very long though.

Sorry, I am not sure of the brand name, but I think it is the only one that Home Depot carries. I will check the brand later today or tomorrow.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:14 PM   #13
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Deer LOVE hostas and peppers! I got deer repellant at Spider Web a few years ago. One year they ate all the shrubs etc around the house.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:30 AM   #14
Pinklake

Default Old Number One

I'll see if my husband will work on that for me.

Thanks
Pinklake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:25 PM   #15
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
I have bought the deer repellent at Home Depot and it works quite well. The deer seem to have a taste for the hostas. I spray them a couple times a year, and the deer do not eat them.

One downside is the stuff literally smells like roadkill. The first time I sprayed it, my dogs went absolutely insane for about 10 minutes. The smell does not permeate the air for very long though.

Sorry, I am not sure of the brand name, but I think it is the only one that Home Depot carries. I will check the brand later today or tomorrow.
The brand of deer repellent is Liquid Fence. It works very well.

Also, I had a skunk problem earlier this spring. I got one of the motion activated sprinklers, and I have not had a skunk problem since.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:50 PM   #16
Little Bear

http://m.wrsweeney.com/products.php?...t=weatherproof

We have used this product for the last two years. They work perfectly and last the entire year. Lowes in Gilford carries them.
Little Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:43 PM   #17
Marauder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bear View Post
http://m.wrsweeney.com/products.php?...t=weatherproof

We have used this product for the last two years. They work perfectly and last the entire year. Lowes in Gilford carries them.
I have used them the past two years on my apple trees - so far so good!
Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote