Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 06:09 AM   #1
fatlazyless

Default ...death at Meredith hotel!

Today's April 5, 2012, LaDaSun has a short on this on page 13.

Meredith-A New Hampshire doctor accused of sexually assaulting patients has been found dead in a hotel room in Meredith.

The Citizen reports Dr Steven Chern, age 63, who had surrendered his medical license, was found unresponsive Monday afternoon, April 2, in a room at Church Landing. He was declared dead a short time later.

That's the entire report in the Laconia Daily Sun......pretty short.....just three sentences......

It usually not-to-easy to get any info about local suicides and it is not unusual for an obituary to avoid mentioning that a death was a suicide. For me, it's an interesting topic just to see what drives people, most always men and not women, to go take their own life. How unhappy and miserable does one have to be to do it, and when does someone cross the line from stability to suicidal thoughts.....and then actually doing it?

So, what drove him to do it and what could have been a different route to take considering the legal and personal problems that he faced?

http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...WS03/111029893
and hopefully this link works. If not, can someone create a working link.....thanks!

Seems like a huge tragedy......maybe taking one small mistep with a patient.....and bing-bang-boom....a well liked and appreciated medical practicioner kills himself.....seems like a major blunder to me.....killing yourself just for getting a wee bit forward with some 39-year old patient lady.....or something....that is not too much of a big deal to me.........

"...has a great reputation in the medical community."

"He is a great doctor."

.....quotes from the Union Leader, Oct 27, 2011

From the movie KINGPIN (1996) with Woody Harrelson, Randy Quaid, and Bill Murray......here's a one of my favorite all-time quotes on human relationships between men and women:..... it went something like this..... "Guys like to go knock on the front door.....and it's the woman's place to say NO!"

Last edited by fatlazyless; 04-05-2012 at 11:09 AM.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:01 AM   #2
songkrai

The hotel management probably does not desire that this information get out either.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:24 AM   #3
WakeboardMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by songkrai View Post
The hotel management probably does not desire that this information get out either.
I agree! ("What room?")
Old 04-05-2012, 12:01 PM   #4
P-3 Guy

FLL, where are you getting that this was a suicide? Or are you just "conjecturing"?

As far as a woman saying "No" when a guy "knocks on the front door," a doctor-patient relationship is a whole different ball of wax, especially when the doctor is actively engaged in examining the patient. It doesn't matter how "great" a doctor he was or how "great a reputation" he had in the medical community, he willingly stepped over a huge line, ethically, morally and legally.

And I certainly wouldn't call non-consensual and not medically indicated digital penetration during the course of a medical exam "getting a wee bit forward." How about you go in for an ear infection, and then have the doctor administer a digital prostate exam without your permission or forewarning, and then come back here and tell us that it wasn't "too much of a big deal" for you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to P-3 Guy For This Useful Post:
ChocolateGypsy (04-05-2012), JMR (04-05-2012)
Old 04-05-2012, 01:43 PM   #5
GTO

Default mmmm,

Quote:
How about you go in for an ear infection, and then have the doctor administer a digital prostate exam without your permission or forewarning, and then come back here and tell us that it wasn't "too much of a big deal" for you.
would that Dr be a waomn or a man? just kidding
Old 04-05-2012, 03:23 PM   #6
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMI Guy View Post
FLL, where are you getting that this was a suicide? Or are you just "conjecturing"?
Today's Thursday April 5 www.laconiadailysun.com on page 13 has a very brief report about it.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:05 PM   #7
P-3 Guy

[QUOTE=fatlazyless;179383]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMI Guy View Post

Today's Thursday April 5 www.laconiadailysun.com on page 13 has a very brief report about it.
The story on page 13 is the exact same thing that you quote in your first post. The question still stands- where are you getting that this was a suicide?
Old 04-05-2012, 06:38 PM   #8
no-engine

Default Pure speculation at hotel

FOLKS: WHY DON'T WE STOP THIS THREAD?

I just browsed all sorts of sites reporting news after searching his name in google. There was NO mention of possible suicide.

THEREFORE, I SUGGEST THE MODERATORS OVERSEE NO MORE SPECULATION

Disclaimer: I am not related to or never was in any manner met the victim or his family or neighbors or business associates. I have absolutely no relationship with any hotel, in Meredith or elsewhere. I have no relationship with any portion of the hospitality industry.
I hate to read speculation!
Old 04-05-2012, 06:40 PM   #9
RandallDunn

What a tragedy. Very sad-- for all parties.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:04 PM   #10
no-engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallDunn View Post
What a tragedy. Very sad-- for all parties.
Very true.

All, please note that I did not mean to take away from that thought.
No media said anything related to suicide. Thread should not have that word in the title. Maybe originator will edit, please.

For all anyone knows, I or moderator or originator, could visit a hotel and drop dead of heart attack, an annurism (sp?), appendix issue, or any other sudden illness, and it would not be called suicide! A sales rep in my industry today, told me of another client in mid-30's recently died suddenly. He had no clue of this incident! Nor did I bring it up to him.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:24 PM   #11
Hospitality Guy

Default Heard it too......

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-engine View Post
Very true.

All, please note that I did not mean to take away from that thought.
No media said anything related to suicide. Thread should not have that word in the title. Maybe originator will edit, please.

For all anyone knows, I or moderator or originator, could visit a hotel and drop dead of heart attack, an annurism (sp?), appendix issue, or any other sudden illness, and it would not be called suicide! A sales rep in my industry today, told me of another client in mid-30's recently died suddenly. He had no clue of this incident! Nor did I bring it up to him.

I heard it was a suicide too, just sayin................
Old 04-05-2012, 07:34 PM   #12
no-engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hospitality Guy View Post
"heard"?
I reviewed several news media website stories; none said "suicide", but they did not say what was possible cause of death. No report said how the death was discovered, housekeeping department, room service, or who. We all know that rumors spread so very fast.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:02 PM   #13
Merrymeeting

and this is directly related to Winnipesaukee and the lakes how?

While some complain about heavy-handed moderation, this is an example of one where I'd support stronger moderation and deletion...
The Following User Says Thank You to Merrymeeting For This Useful Post:
diz (04-05-2012)
Old 04-05-2012, 08:41 PM   #14
P-3 Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hospitality Guy View Post
You may very well have "heard" that, and you may even know it for a fact, but until it's announced publicly, it's extremely disrespectful of the family and the deceased (yes, he deserves a measure of respect, too) to be speculating, spreading rumor, or passing along unverified or non-public information on an open internet forum... especially when the thread title makes it sound like a known fact, with emphasis (!) even.

Characterizing an alleged rapist as only being "a wee bit forward" and the alleged rape of a patient by her physician during the process of a medical exam as "one small mistep [sic]" and "not too much of a big deal," that's another issue altogether.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:54 PM   #15
Mr. V

He died, apparently alone, in a hotel room on the eve of his arraignment.

This sort of thing happens fairly frequently.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. V For This Useful Post:
codeman671 (04-07-2012)
Old 04-06-2012, 06:32 AM   #16
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
"heard"?
I reviewed several news media website stories; none said "suicide", but they did not say what was possible cause of death. No report said how the death was discovered, housekeeping department, room service, or who. We all know that rumors spread so very fast.
Maybe this will help...from the Concord Monitor.
April 5, 2012

The lawyer for Steven Chern issued a brief statement yesterday that expressed sorrow for the Bow doctor's death but shed no light on the circumstances.
"We are greatly saddened to hear of Dr. Chern's death," Bill Christie said in the statement. "This is a very sad set of circumstances. Our thoughts are with his many friends and most especially his family."
Christie told a reporter he did not know the doctor's cause of death. He said he expected that information would come from the state medical examiner's office.
Chern, who was charged with sexually assaulting three female patients and due to go on trial in August, was found dead Monday in Meredith, according to law enforcement officials. The Citizen reported yesterday that Chern was found unresponsive shortly before 3 p.m. Monday in a hotel room at Church Landing in Meredith.
The Citizen, which didn't name its sources, reported that Chern died of an apparent overdose. It also reported that he left a note explaining how he wanted his property divided.
A manager at Church Landing did not return a call yesterday, and the Meredith police have referred questions to the Merrimack County Attorney's Office.
Merrimack County Attorney Scott Murray confirmed Chern's death Tuesday but said he couldn't provide additional information. He said he hadn't been given any indication the incident was criminal in nature.
A representative from the state medical examiner's office said yesterday that autopsy results likely would not be available for six to eight weeks.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:49 AM   #17
fatlazyless

"Blanchette (Bow police detective Stacey Blanchette) and Concord police detective Sean Ford were upstairs in the woman's home and heard the entire conversation, Blanchette said." ; from the Oct 27, 2011 Union Leader link in post #1.

So's, in all likelihood if Dr Chern had totally denied, denied, denied, and claimed that absolutely nothing happened, then he would be much better off today. Best, not to go visit an accuser and have a heart to heart honest apology type of conversation because look what it ended up getting him. It, in all liklihood, got him dead by suicide, alone in a Meredith hotel room, which is not exactly a very happening ending..........capice!
Old 04-06-2012, 02:34 PM   #18
Rusty

It's hard to believe that some forum members can participate in a conversation about someone who died by suicide. Actually it has almost turned into debate as to what happened and why it happened.

Why don't we give the unfortunate person who passed away, and his family some respect.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:10 PM   #19
Newbiesaukee

Sometimes it is fun on the Forum to bat around ideas on issues...this is truly NOT one of those times. Yes, I can choose not to contribute, or read the thread, but this, IMO, is on the border between ridiculous and tragic.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Newbiesaukee For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (04-06-2012), Lakesrider (04-06-2012)
Old 04-06-2012, 04:17 PM   #20
no-engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
Sometimes it is fun on the Forum to bat around ideas on issues...this is truly NOT one of those times. Yes, I can choose not to contribute, or read the thread, but this, IMO, is on the border between ridiculous and tragic.
Totally agree, on the border. FYI, not a sentence in today's Laconia Daily Sun. During my lunch at work, I decided to search news media again. I found no statement of cause of death, but possible, BUT NO WORD SUICIDE.
Therefore, I continue to plead that the thread starter edit the title deleting suicide to "death" or some such phrase. Yes, we can speculate suicide. "Overdose" hints at self medication! However, I believe it unfair to title suicide before any authority or medical examiner say that word. It could cause reason for a new viewer to not return. I think the moderator should monitor and delete such speculation. As I wrote once, any one of us could check in to a hotel and unexpectedly die of some sudden illness: appendix rupture, brain annurism, heart condition, stress over impending tax return filing, financial matters.... on & on & on.

On the other side, I do read some very informative threads, and as a boater since childhood, I hope any of my writings are well received.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:41 PM   #21
fatlazyless

Here's a NH criminal law factoid that is kind of interesting..........supposedly, New Hampshire used to penalize anyone who attempted suicide....... with one year in prison.......no kidding here......I'm not making this up......so's a successfull suicide would get youself exempted from one year in the state slammer......what-a-deal!
Old 04-06-2012, 10:52 PM   #22
eillac@dow

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
so's a successfull suicide would get youself exempted from one year in the state slammer......what-a-deal!
FLL....I usually don't mind your posts.....but this one got to me.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to eillac@dow For This Useful Post:
chipj29 (04-08-2012), diz (04-07-2012), no-engine (04-07-2012), trfour (04-06-2012)
Old 04-06-2012, 11:55 PM   #23
trfour

Post Let us Hope For A Full Lake This Season

However, high and or low, and just trying to be honest over here, either the title should be changed, and or this thread should be closed until it has been justly proven over speculation...

Is the cost of indigestion pills going up over this one? ( Not Necessarily.)

At the same time, FLL could have had a bad day cause there want no snow left to ski on, and the tennis courts were still pucked up, you know with the early ice-out, spring thaw and all o'that there!

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
Old 04-07-2012, 08:25 AM   #24
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
Totally agree, on the border. FYI, not a sentence in today's Laconia Daily Sun. During my lunch at work, I decided to search news media again. I found no statement of cause of death, but possible, BUT NO WORD SUICIDE.
Therefore, I continue to plead that the thread starter edit the title deleting suicide to "death" or some such phrase.
No -engine please look a the highlighted print below...Tell me do you think he had a Heart Attack or a Brain Aneurysm before hand, and that is the reason he left the note?? No reported call to 911??

The Citizen, which didn't name its sources, reported that Chern died of an apparent overdose. It also reported that he left a note explaining how he wanted his property divided.

I think you are drawing at straws here, let it go!
fatlazyless (04-07-2012)
Old 04-08-2012, 01:46 AM   #25
fatlazyless

http://www.concordmonitor.com/articl...94&CSGroupId=1

is a front page article in today's April 8, Sunday newspaper. If the Concord Monitor does not let you read it due to non-payment issues, then maybe try googling: "The good doctor that was - Concord Monitor."

Last edited by fatlazyless; 04-08-2012 at 08:35 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to fatlazyless For This Useful Post:
Billy Bob (04-09-2012)
Old 04-08-2012, 08:30 AM   #26
topwater

Some people just like to keep their head in the sand... Its the nature of the beast. It did, some don't want to say it because they are to PC. People on here should really try to see life as it is, not just in their make believe world....
TOPWATER...
The Following User Says Thank You to topwater For This Useful Post:
tricia1218 (04-09-2012)
Old 04-08-2012, 11:29 AM   #27
BlackCatIslander

Default Is This Appropriate Today?

Can we drop this issue?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlackCatIslander For This Useful Post:
diz (04-08-2012), ishoot308 (04-08-2012), Mink Islander (04-08-2012), Resident 2B (04-08-2012)
Old 04-08-2012, 12:34 PM   #28
RLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCatIslander View Post
Can we drop this issue?
I definately the above. Enough is enough.
no-engine (04-11-2012), Resident 2B (04-08-2012)
Closed Thread