Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-26-2006, 03:35 PM   #1
sportsmaniac38

Default Ropes Swings around the lake

Fist of all I have been reading this forum for a while and I got to say you guys do a great jobs answering questions...so I figured I would post one.

Where are there rope swings and/or cliffs to jump off of around the lake? and what type of access is there to them?i.e. do you have to anchor way out and swim in or can you anchor close?

Now I know of the rope swing on timber island. Its a great rope swing but it has its busy days and its times when people switch the rope to a not very user friendly rope. I have also heard about one in meredith but havent been able to find it.

I also know about the cliffs near alton bay. My brother used to jump off them 10-12 years ago when I was little. I know now they have built some mighty big houses on those cliffs so those are pretty much out of the question unless you know the people in those houses.

Any input would be awesome.
sportsmaniac38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 03:57 PM   #2
Seadoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsmaniac38
Fist of all I have been reading this forum for a while and I got to say you guys do a great jobs answering questions...so I figured I would post one.

Where are there rope swings and/or cliffs to jump off of around the lake? and what type of access is there to them?i.e. do you have to anchor way out and swim in or can you anchor close?

Now I know of the rope swing on timber island. Its a great rope swing but it has its busy days and its times when people switch the rope to a not very user friendly rope. I have also heard about one in meredith but havent been able to find it.

I also know about the cliffs near alton bay. My brother used to jump off them 10-12 years ago when I was little. I know now they have built some mighty big houses on those cliffs so those are pretty much out of the question unless you know the people in those houses.

Any input would be awesome.
timber island is gone, don't know why but it is not longer there, i have heared about the one in meredith also but i can't seem to find too.
Seadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 08:20 PM   #3
JG1222

Default Meredith Rope Swing

I'm not sure if it's still there, but there used to be a great rope swing in Meredith Bay. If you were looking at Meredith Marina, it was to the left along the train tracks. You used to be able to swing from a platform up by the tracks and swing waaaaay out over the water.

I remember this rope swing (and the subsequent trip to Lakes Region General Hospital) very well, after my hands slipped down the rope and I landed in a foot of water two feet from the shoreline, hyperextending my knee. My PARENTS remember the bill from Winchester Hospital when a year later I had to have surgery to have the busted pieces of cartilage removed.

In any case, it was a great ropeswing. But now I'll stick to bridge jumping in Tilton. The water's plenty deep there.
JG1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 08:32 PM   #4
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadoo
timber island is gone, don't know why but it is not longer there, i have heared about the one in meredith also but i can't seem to find too.
I'm guessing that the Timber Island swing was removed for liabilty reasons and to comply with the conservation easement. With trial lawyers today, I don't think you'll see any for public use, again.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 08:08 AM   #5
Hallnit

Default rope swing

JG
Where do you bridge jump in Tilton??
We stay on Winnisquam and last year while we were camping with friends at Pawtuckaway state park it was fun to watch the right of passage for allot of our children jumping off bridges for the first time.
Thanks,
Gary
Hallnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2006, 08:39 AM   #6
ossipeeboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallnit
JG
Where do you bridge jump in Tilton??
We stay on Winnisquam and last year while we were camping with friends at Pawtuckaway state park it was fun to watch the right of passage for allot of our children jumping off bridges for the first time.
Thanks,
Gary

liability is such an issue these days, there used to be a rock in pawtuckaway to jump from that we'd swim out to as a kid. back then we thought it was buiig I'm sure it probably wasn't but my son was there last week with his camp and theres no place to jump anymore they moved it.

somehowthe rope swing on Ossipee keeps surviving and my 6 year old likes to go on it but those days are going by, when I was a kid on Winni and Winnisquam there were always rope swings and places to jump from.

Before we came back to NH we had a place on Sebago lake which has one fo the highest jumping points I've evern seen at Fryes Leap. At 18 I'd have done it but at 30 I wasn't going to it's got to be about 60 feet up.
ossipeeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 09:42 AM   #7
JG1222

Default Bridge in Tilton

Not that I know anything about it, of course - BUT, if you happen to be traveling up Route 3/11 from the outlets in Tilton, and you turn right onto Silver Lake Rd., you will come to a set of train tracks. There's a dirt lot on the right where one might park to avoid parking right next to where one might be jumping off a bridge in broad daylight. If you were to cross the street from where you parked and walked the tracks, in about 300 yards you might find yourself on the top of a really great bridge to jump from.

I've "heard" that the water is deep. I've also "heard" you should bring a pair of old shoes, as the climb back up to the top of the bridge is a little rocky. But I really don't know much about it.

Last edited by JG1222; 01-13-2009 at 11:05 PM.
JG1222 is offline   Reply With Quote