Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2006, 06:07 PM   #1
bigdog

Default Several boat issues - Need HELP

I have several boat issues I hope this forum can help with....
Engine is a Mercruiser 4.3 V6 (1995), with Alpha Outdrive.

1. Engine appears to have to slight vibration at slow speed (5-8MPH)
Above this speed vibration disappears. Could this be a propeller problem?

2. Tilt gauge on dash, does not register when in use. Tilt works OK, gauge
doesn't. register tilt in any direction. Is this possible related to a switch,
and not sending signal to gauge.

3. Speedometer gauge doesn't register? I don't have he old sensor type
at bottom of boat at stern. How is this speedometer gauge being
controlled ? Does the engine have a sensor, which may be sending a
signal to the gauge converting RPM's to MPH ?
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 06:17 PM   #2
Dave R

Vibration could be normal, does it do it mostly when turning? The U joints cause vibration when the wheel is hard over. Even if it does it straight, it still may be normal. Get someone with experience with this drive and engine to go for a ride and see how it feels to them.

The trim sender is under a round plastic cap on the starboard side of the drive where it pivots up and down. It could be bad or it may just be unplugged in the engine compartment. Look for a black duplex wire (like a lamp cord) coming from the starboard side of the drive inside the engine compartment, and trace the wire until you come to the connector. If it's all plugged in, you'll need to check for continuity from the guage back to the trim sender. I think you'll find that if it's troublesome ot troublshoot, you can live without a working trim guage.

The speedometer pickup is in the front of the drive leg. With luck, it's just got some debris in it. It operates solely by pressure. The faster you go, the more pressure is applied to the speedometer (which is really just a pressure guage. If the inlet is not clogged, the hose that goes from the drive to the speedometer may be broken.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 06:36 PM   #3
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog
I have several boat issues I hope this forum can help with....
Engine is a Mercruiser 4.3 V6 (1995), with Alpha Outdrive.
Dave advice is good. Could be u-joints, sometimes the vibration is always there just swamped out by other stuff when at speed.

If you dig down on the following site they have drawings of all the outdrives. You can find the trim position sender and the u-joints for that matter. If your really handy you can order parts and fix them. It's not something I would do. http://www.mercruiserparts.com

I've heard you can disconnect the pitot tube from the speedometer and blow out the crude and some times that will fix it.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:35 AM   #4
Woodsy

BigDog...

Dave's advice is pretty much spot on.

1. Check your propeller. If there are any dings at all you can have a vibration. If the prop is fine, take the boat to the shop and have the alignment checked. They need to pull the drive to check the U-joints anyway. More than likely all you will need is a little grease in the u-joints and Gimble bearing. It is possible that your Gimble bearing is starting to go, but thats a noise that usually manifests itself while turning.

2. I don't think its the trim limit switches as Dave R mentioned. When those go bad the trim usually doesn't work. More than likely its a loose wire on the back of your trim gauge.

3. Dave R was right on about the speedometer... more than likely the pickup is packed with debris.

Woodsy
Old 05-30-2006, 11:02 AM   #5
searay220

Red face Boat Repair

Is there a boat repair shop out there that is honest and have fair prices and does good work? Or am I dreaming that there is such a place. My camp is in the Alton aera but am willing to travel for honest work at a fair price.
Please any suggestions would be great. Thanks
searay220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2006, 12:48 PM   #6
jrc

Check the boat links on this site. I've had good experience with Dave's motorboat shop in Gilford.

You may know that Irwin bought Hillcrest in Alton. Irwin always gets it right eventually but it's not always fast or cheap. But they are full service and will fix anything.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 02:35 PM   #7
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy
BigDog...

2. I don't think its the trim limit switches as Dave R mentioned. When those go bad the trim usually doesn't work. More than likely its a loose wire on the back of your trim gauge.
The trim limit switch is different than the sender. The limit switch is on the port side of the Merc drive. I still think it's the sender.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:49 PM   #8
RumGuy

Default Coincidence

Although I am not familiar with that outdrive, it seems more than coincidental that TWO aspects that come from it are not functioning. Is there a possibility that they share the same wiring harness (or easier-plug connection?) Perhaps a ground? Maybe something in the dash area that they share.
RumGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 03:51 PM   #9
GTO

Default repairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by searay220
Is there a boat repair shop out there that is honest and have fair prices and does good work? Or am I dreaming that there is such a place. My camp is in the Alton aera but am willing to travel for honest work at a fair price.
Please any suggestions would be great. Thanks

I have brought my Searay 220 to Meredith Marina since I have owned it. Don't know how they compare to oter marinas but I find them to be very honest.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:32 PM   #10
Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R
The speedometer pickup is in the front of the drive leg. With luck, it's just got some debris in it. It operates solely by pressure. The faster you go, the more pressure is applied to the speedometer (which is really just a pressure guage. If the inlet is not clogged, the hose that goes from the drive to the speedometer may be broken.
Pressure is the operative word in your statement. As in water pressure.
It's not a big problem if it just drains into the bilge. Now, I'm not that familiar with Alpha outdrives (owned only Volvo and Bravo). But if they are like a Bravo, the water that leaks from that tube can be extensive as it goes all the way to your speedo--And when that tube leaks in your dash panel it is a real pain in the arse to repair! I speak from experience.

Just my $0.02, but is might be worth checking out, since you are having problems with other gauges.

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of Obamunism should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest the Republic become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."

. . .Evidently nothing.

(Cicero, 55 BC augmented by me, 2010 AD)
Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 07:15 AM   #11
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumGuy
Although I am not familiar with that outdrive, it seems more than coincidental that TWO aspects that come from it are not functioning. Is there a possibility that they share the same wiring harness (or easier-plug connection?) Perhaps a ground? Maybe something in the dash area that they share.
Good thought but not possible. The speedometer does not use any electricity to display speed. It is purely mechanical. The trim indicator is electric (it's just an ammeter) and the trim sender is a rheostat (variable resistor).
Old 05-31-2006, 05:35 PM   #12
father nukes kid

Default tilt

I believe dead center at the back side (towards boat) of the outdrive, there is a snap in wiring connection the helps feed the speeo, tilt and such. see if it's plugged in.
father nukes kid is offline   Reply With Quote