Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-02-2014, 12:08 PM   #1
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts
Default That was a close one

We were coming back in from Akwa last night in the dark (945 or so). I came through the hole in the wall, got on plane and was headed to the graveyard with FL49 as my marker to keep on my starboard side. I was getting a weird pattern out of the light blink. As I started my turn, suddenly an all white light lit, then was gone near FL49. Lit again- it was a black bass boat that must have pulled up to the buoy to figure out where he was, the light was a flashlight (assuming to see his chart) and he was blocking the blinker from me at times. No running lights, nothing. We yelled over at him to turn his lights on with no good response.

There were other boats in the area and I did not feel it was safe to stop at that intersection. He kept his flashlight on and a few seconds later a center console (I believe) headed up into 19 Mile Bay must have missed the bass boat by a few yards and started yelling at the bass boat. It would have been real ugly.

I am still questioning myself as to whether I should have stopped and directed him.

If you are lost on the lake, please turn your lights on, and don't hang out at a buoy without them. The folks running to the islands can make the runs from the mainland to their island homes in their sleep. They know the buoys and will keep tight to them on the correct side but certainly are expecting an unlit boat to be sitting there. If you need help, ask for it.

Be safe out there.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (08-03-2014), Chaselady (08-02-2014)
Old 08-02-2014, 12:50 PM   #2
Greene's Basin Girl

I have been on the lake my entire life. Since our place is in Greene's Basin I have not ventured out much at night. I worry about not seeing markers or other boats ( especially idiots without lights). When I was young just about everyone used their flashlight as a boat light. It was very dangerous!
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 04:17 PM   #3
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green's Basin Girl View Post
I have been on the lake my entire life. Since our place is in Greene's Basin I have not ventured out much at night. I worry about not seeing markers or other boats ( especially idiots without lights). When I was young just about everyone used their flashlight as a boat light. It was very dangerous!
Jill, I hear you on seeing the other boats- I will say I love the Bizer app on the Iphone as a backup to buoy knowledge and the chart! Even Bizer can't help us to see others though!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:12 PM   #4
Fast Algae

I try to keep my head on a swivel, but missed a boat the other evening. They honked at us to let us know (sorry!) but we did not see them until they were behind us. Whenever you see a boat at night, assume that they a) do not see you, and b) do not know the rules. Like aviation, it can go bad fast.
Fast Algae is offline   Reply With Quote