Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2012, 06:33 AM   #1
Jonas Pilot

Default Marine Patrol deals with fewer officers, more boats

GILFORD — With fewer officers and a recent surge in boat registrations, the Marine Patrol is bracing for a busy summer.

“We wish we could be everywhere at once, but you can't, especially with what we've been given to work with this year,” said State Police Marine Patrol Bureau Sgt. Joshua Dirth, who is now second in command of the patrol after two senior positions were left vacant.

“The boating public is going to start feeling the impacts of the budget cuts,” he said. “We are going to do the very best job we can do, nothing will change that, but people should know that we don't have the resources that we once had.”

About $1.2 million in state budget cuts in the past two years and a decline in boat registrations during that period were factors in staffing cuts. Reductions in matching federal funds, allotted by perceived need of each agency, was another factor. The number of seasonal officers has been cut from more than 70 to about 30, Dirth said.

When former Marine Patrol Director David Barrett died last year, he was not replaced, nor was his second in command, Dirth said.

Meanwhile, it looks like one of the busiest boating seasons in years is about to arrive. Boat registrations are up by 9.1 percent for the first four months of 2012 compared with the same period a year ago — from 37,353 to 40,756 — said James C. Van Dongen, public information officer for the Department of Safety.

In 2011, there were 91,950 boats registered. In 2005, there were 102,258.

Planning for this summer's coverage hasn't been easy, Dirth said.

The patrol will cover all of the state's 975 water bodies and its coastline as usual, just not in as many numbers as before.

http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...299945/-1/news
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:33 AM   #2
codeman671

A few of the commenters made good points. Since the ice was out so early compared to last year it makes sense that more people would be registering early. It is too early to tell if there will truly be a significant rise in registrations over the season.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codeman671 For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (05-01-2012)
Old 04-29-2012, 07:36 AM   #3
Rinkerfam

I was thinking the exact same thing Codeman before reading your post. Hopefully the department won't be overwhelmed this season. I also believe that folks started thinking about spring much earlier than normal this year.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:03 PM   #4
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Sgt Dirth of the marine patrol shouldn't feel bad because none of us in the private sector have the resources that we once had either.Everyone is having to make do with a little less these days so you're not alone.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (04-29-2012), Billy Bob (04-30-2012), BroadHopper (04-29-2012), CGI3 (04-29-2012), NoRegrets (04-30-2012), Pontoon Goon (04-29-2012), Sue Doe-Nym (04-30-2012), tis (04-29-2012)
Old 04-29-2012, 05:05 PM   #5
Lakegeezer

Default Boater Safety

The most important service from the Marine Patrol is rescue. Are there auxiliary services active on the lake to provide backup, should the MP be busy?
Old 04-29-2012, 05:54 PM   #6
NoBozo

Maybe this is a good time for Boaters to demonstrate that they can take Personal Responsibility for their own safety. Would that work..... NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
diz (04-29-2012), Jonas Pilot (04-30-2012), lawn psycho (05-01-2012), NHBUOY (04-30-2012), Rattlesnake Gal (04-30-2012), Rattlesnake Guy (04-29-2012), Sandy Island fan (04-29-2012), SAUGUS BOATER (04-29-2012), SuperG (06-05-2012)
Old 04-29-2012, 07:42 PM   #7
Rattlesnake Guy

Default Supply and Demand

With the price of gas, it might be reasonable to expect less boats on the water. (moving anyway)
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rattlesnake Guy For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (04-30-2012), LIforrelaxin (05-01-2012)
Old 04-30-2012, 06:11 AM   #8
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
The most important service from the Marine Patrol is rescue. Are there auxiliary services active on the lake to provide backup, should the MP be busy?
Perhaps we can all look out for each other. I'll leave my VHF on and monitoring 13 all the time.

I'm curious to see what the MP deems most important this year. Will they be monitoring areas of common no-wake violations, patrolling no-rafting zones, or monitoring speed?
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:22 AM   #9
Belmont Resident

Default Mp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
Perhaps we can all look out for each other. I'll leave my VHF on and monitoring 13 all the time.

I'm curious to see what the MP deems most important this year. Will they be monitoring areas of common no-wake violations, patrolling no-rafting zones, or monitoring speed?
Since MP always stood by their opinions that speed never was a factor on the lake I doubt that will be a priority.
And monitoring no rafting zones equates to baby sitting for land owners who think they own the water in front of their property and don’t like to see others enjoy it, I doubt that will be a priority.
I’d vote they do their job and enforce the laws of boating like 150’ rule, ROW and illegal exhaust, those seem to be the most violated rules and two out of three involve safety on the lake.
BroadHopper (04-30-2012), Two dobys (05-01-2012)
Old 04-30-2012, 07:25 AM   #10
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post

Can I ask WHY Channell 13 ??

I always "scan" 9 & 16 (as well as our family designated "Chat Channell")
Old 04-30-2012, 07:27 AM   #11
SIKSUKR

It is intersting to note that the article states 2 sides of the arguement with conflicting statements.

"a decline in boat registrations during that period were factors in staffing cuts."
And then:
" Boat registrations are up by 9.1 percent"
Old 04-30-2012, 10:13 AM   #12
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Can I ask WHY Channell 13 ??

I always "scan" 9 & 16 (as well as our family designated "Chat Channell")
Just a typo, meant 16.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:06 AM   #13
jrc

You can be sure that rafting zones will be enforced this year, even with lower staffing levels. The squeaky wheel get the grease and people living near rafting zones have the MP on speed dial.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:51 AM   #14
dpg

"summer help" marine patrol = wanna be cops.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:19 PM   #15
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Summer Hire at Marine patrol

Once upon a time there were a group of volunteers that helps the marine patrol. The auxillary was responsible for dock side inspections and safety courses. They also provide emergency coverage in case of a paddle boat flip over or the like. This was an excellent idea that should be reinstated.

At one time, cadets from the police academy will spend a few hours getting their feet wet (literally) in the field doing patrol work. According to Skip, it is not true anymore. I think this is another great idea. The cadets should be partnered with an experienced officer.

I think the marine patrol should spend time going after the actual lawbreakers rather than responding to every landowners hearsay about this guy is speeding and that guy is rafting.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:25 PM   #16
ishoot308

Thanked 4,936 Times in 1,912 Posts
Default No Complaints Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Most of the young officers I have encountered have been very respectful, helpful and polite. Come to think of it, I have yet to come across a "badge heavy" young officer.

Better to be a "wanna be cop" than a wanna be drug addict...

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (05-01-2012)
Old 05-01-2012, 01:57 PM   #17
Sunbeam lodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
It is intersting to note that the article states 2 sides of the arguement with conflicting statements.

"a decline in boat registrations during that period were factors in staffing cuts."
And then:
If each boat registration went up an average of $10.00 that would bring in close to 1 million more in revenue
Doesn't that help?
Sunbeam lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:34 PM   #18
Wolfeboro_Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
Maybe this is a good time for Boaters to demonstrate that they can take Personal Responsibility for their own safety. Would that work..... NB
You're joking, right? If they haven't taken responsibility before, what makes you think they're going to start now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post

And then:
They're comparing past and present; refering to "a decline in boat registrations" in the PAST two years was the reason to reduce staff and then "registrations are up by 9.1 percent" is refering to THIS year's registrations.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:47 PM   #19
Wolfeboro_Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbeam lodge View Post
If each boat registration went up an average of $10.00 that would bring in close to 1 million more in revenue
Doesn't that help?
As I recall, didn't they nearly double the fees to register boats in NH about 2-3 yrs ago? It cost me $93 and change to register my boat this year so I could use it once a week from (roughly) May to early November plus one full week in July I'm here on vacation! ENOUGH IS ENOUGH ALREADY!!
Old 05-01-2012, 04:42 PM   #20
Jonas Pilot

That comes to about $3.00 a trip.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:06 PM   #21
Bear Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post

I think the marine patrol should spend time going after the actual lawbreakers rather than responding to every landowners hearsay about this guy is speeding and that guy is rafting.
Boaters that are speeding or rafting in a no-rafting zone ARE "actual lawbreakers"! Laws you don't like or agree with are still laws.

Are you suggesting the Marine Patrol should ignore citizen complains about lawbreakers?
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:14 PM   #22
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
Boaters that are speeding or rafting in a no-rafting zone ARE "actual lawbreakers"! Laws you don't like or agree with are still laws.

Are you suggesting the Marine Patrol should ignore citizen complains about lawbreakers?
You can still be tied to another boat in a "no rafting zone" and be 100% legal.

Homeowners who put their rafts in precarios spots and having swimlines greater than allow from shore and MP should also follow-up with to those complaints as well.

Funny, if you look at some of the MP complaint logs you'll see boaters actually complaining about shorefront owners. Be careful what you wish for.
lawn psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:30 PM   #23
Woodsy

Do more with less!! The new mantra!

I suspect that the SP/MP will do the best they can with what resources they have. I doubt rafting and speeding will be HIGH priority missions for the SP/MP. Not to say the SP/MP won't enforce the rules... no doubt they will, but I suspect speeding and rafting enforcement will be opportunistic, and will take a backseat to flying the flag/patrolling the busy areas looking for more flagrant violations such as 150' and BWI...

Woodsy
Old 05-01-2012, 09:01 PM   #24
pete1207

Default Goody two shoes

I am no saint and far from a police role but will never criticize marine patrol. Yes they are scary to see, but to leave boater responsibility up to the individual boater just to save funds is ridiculous. I am on the lake and cannot believe the lack of responsibility or dangerous behaviors displayed by boaters, especially on a weekend. I have been cut off, have tubers well within 150 ft, and boats riding my ass. I have more road rage on the lake than I do in Boston rush hour traffic. If I had the right to exercise my own judgment then this would not be an issue for me; however, I do depend on marine patrol to make me smile and feel that vindication.
pete1207 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pete1207 For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (05-02-2012), lfodnh (05-03-2012), Winnisquamguy (05-02-2012)
Old 05-02-2012, 05:00 AM   #25
Belmont Resident

Default here we go again

Quote:

There would not be a problem with landowners complaining about rafting if they did their homework and researched before they bought their lakefront homes.
The lake is a public way, and all that comes with it, yes this includes the noise the loud music the hanging out drinking, everything else as well.
Come to think of it is becoming no different then living in the city. Loud cars with tricked out weed whacker engines and big pipes, and have their base cranked up and think it might actually sound good. Sounds like a day on the lake to me.
Wait till the lake starts to pick up to the boating volumes of 7-5 years ago when you could hardly find a place to hang out and Weirs channel was backed up from one end to the other EVERY weekend not just on the holidays. I remember weekends where the channel was blocked off in one direction to alleviate the traffic backup.
It is a lake, people don’t just come up to drive around all day, if you want to park and swim or hang out it shouldn’t be a problem as long as your not anchored right off someone’s dock or swim raft. Winnipesaukee isn’t the quiet, peaceful, tranquil place it was 100 years ago and it never will be again and it is only gonna get worse as time goes on. Sad but true, it is called tourism. Once started it grows to the point of overcrowding then people look for other less crowded places to go.
BroadHopper (05-02-2012), lawn psycho (05-02-2012), SuperG (06-05-2012), Winnisquamguy (05-02-2012)
Old 05-02-2012, 03:06 PM   #26
W Clarke

Smile A safer lake this year

Now that we have proper laws in place to insure a safer lake we don't need as many Marine Patrol officers cruising the lake. Fewer officers can accomplish quite a bit by sitting in their patrol boat with a radar gun and bagging the cowboys. The MPs will have more reason to pull you over and check on you to be sure you have proper equipment and paperwork and are sober.

We will be saving money and have a safer lake. it is a win-win situation.
W Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:05 PM   #27
RailroadJoe

WClarke I think you are a dreamer.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RailroadJoe For This Useful Post:
lfodnh (05-03-2012), Resident 2B (05-02-2012), Two dobys (05-02-2012)
Old 05-02-2012, 05:29 PM   #28
Belmont Resident

Default I have to agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by RailroadJoe View Post
WClarke I think you are a dreamer.
The speed limit has done nothing to make the lake any safer. The whole safety thing stems from lack of courtesy and respect for both other boaters and the laws. 150 foot rule, excessive noise and BWI are the things that speed limits have and will do nothing to prevent.
The only thing that has made the lake appear to be somewhat safer is the economy’s effect on boating. Less boaters out, plus less boaters that are out are traveling very far due to the cost.
As I remember the proponents of the speed limit came up with 7% of the boaters on the lake being the cause of all the problems and saying that is about the number of boaters who will be affected by the speed limit. We were at all the hearings and that is exactly what was said.
Now if you believe that a law that affects 7% of all the boaters, which totals in the thousands, on the lake is going to have a drastic impact on boating safety then you are out of your mind.
Just sit outside the Weirs or for that matter ANY town dock and watch all the weekend warriors; unless you are blind you will see what total chaos is.
This does not apply to all boaters, but a good majority of them from what we have seen over the years. Boater etiquette is almost none existent on Winnipesaukee.
pete1207 (05-02-2012), Resident 2B (05-02-2012)
Old 05-02-2012, 08:43 PM   #29
Lakegeezer

Having seen how laws are purchased changed my attitude towards the value of law enforcement. I learned that they are paid, in part, to enforce what the 1% dictate. My experiences with the Marine Patrol have been nothing but positive, but I find myself feeling a bit glad that their budget has been cut. That way, they are forced to prioritize. Hopefully, their focus will be on true safety issues and less on the laws with questionable linage and value.
Belmont Resident (05-03-2012), BroadHopper (05-03-2012), Jonas Pilot (05-03-2012), NoRegrets (05-03-2012), RailroadJoe (05-03-2012), Resident 2B (05-02-2012), Two dobys (05-03-2012), Winnisquamguy (05-03-2012)
Old 05-03-2012, 11:50 AM   #30
lfodnh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Knowing many seasonal MPO's, I feel that your post is very inaccurate and misinformed. MPO's are police officers and have statutory authority as such. In fact, maritime law enforcement is a specialized function that is highly respected throughout the world. Lastly, a vast majority of MPO's work as full or part time police officers for other municipalities. Take your ignorance elsewhere.
lfodnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:11 PM   #31
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Discrimination

Quote:

The point I'm getting at and I have expressed this a number of times, Why do certain landowners call the marine patrol every time I go on plane and make a statement: 'He is going 90 mph'. Every weekend, I get pulled over and I have to prove with my GPS that show maximum speed less than 45 mph. Truly a case of discrimination and waste of valuble resources.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:25 PM   #32
Woodsy

This should clear up any misconceptions of who/what the part time SP/MP officer requirements are...

https://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/...onalmarine.pdf

That being said I seriously doubt there will be any lack of State Troopers willing to take the MP training course.... I think driving around in a RIB all day on the lake checking out girls in bikinis beats giving speeding tickets on 93 anyday!

Woodsy
Belmont Resident (05-03-2012), lfodnh (05-03-2012)
Old 05-03-2012, 06:19 PM   #33
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
The point I'm getting at and I have expressed this a number of times, Why do certain landowners call the marine patrol every time I go on plane and make a statement: 'He is going 90 mph'. Every weekend, I get pulled over and I have to prove with my GPS that show maximum speed less than 45 mph. Truly a case of discrimination and waste of valuble resources.
Since the waterfront owners pay 70-90% of the property taxes in many lakes region communities I suppose they have the right to call in complaints about obnoxious boaters. Not that I'm suggesting you are one of those boaters....
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:43 PM   #34
Jonas Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
Since the waterfront owners pay 70-90% of the property taxes in many lakes region communities I suppose they have the right to call in complaints about obnoxious boaters. Not that I'm suggesting you are one of those boaters....
Are you saying that money should buy special treatment?
Old 05-03-2012, 07:03 PM   #35
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
Unless of course those complaints are unfounded, misguided attempts for them to try and assert their property rights extend much further than they do in reality.
chipj29 (05-04-2012), Jonas Pilot (05-03-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 04:37 AM   #36
Belmont Resident

Default of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Pilot View Post
For many of the loaded with money, chest beating ones yes.
But, there are many who just go with the flow.
Then there are the a-hole boaters, and there are many, who create problems.
Then the property owner thinks all boaters are the problem.
So you see it is a vicious circle with many wrong and many caught in the middle.
Hey you put that many people in close proximity to each other on a busy weekend in the summer sun. Add alcohol & egos’s and stir it up and that is what you get.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:46 AM   #37
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Pilot View Post
Not at all. I don't think calling in a complaint about an obnoxious boater is "special treatment". My point was intended to remind folks that the big waterfront owners pay for the majority of government infrastructure and resources in the lakes region and as a result they certainly are entitled to use those resources just like anyone else.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:35 AM   #38
NoRegrets

I think we have too many laws that someone can call in on! We will all be walking around with instant access to the law base on our iPods’ so as soon as we see the first infraction of someone having fun we can look up the ordinance and hit another button to take a photo, and then forward it to the authorities! Citizen arrest - citizen arrest - citizen arrest!!!!!

Where is all the sharing of experiences on wonderful Winnipesaukee going?
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:48 AM   #39
MikeF-NH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
So you see it is a vicious circle with many wrong and many caught in the middle.
Hey you put that many people in close proximity to each other on a busy weekend in the summer sun. Add alcohol & egos’s and stir it up and that is what you get.
x2...that is truly well stated. I've definitely seen BOTH and victims on both sides. I also don't think the "I own the lake landowners" and the "I can do anything I want boat owners" are going to change any time soon. If either side can't deal with it there is lots of other water in NH and other states they can "own". I treat other people respectfully when on the water (both land and boat owners) and don't tolerate others who don't return the favor...the Golden Rule. I've never called MP, Fish and Game or local PDs but will to protect my rights...it just costs too much to haul my boat up there to accept people breaking laws and compromising my or my families safety and enjoyment on the Lake.

Both land and boat owners...know the law and respect each other and nobody has a problem.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeF-NH For This Useful Post:
NoRegrets (05-04-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 10:02 AM   #40
Seaplane Pilot

Default Here's the solution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRegrets View Post
I think we have too many laws that someone can call in on! We will all be walking around with instant access to the law base on our iPods’ so as soon as we see the first infraction of someone having fun we can look up the ordinance and hit another button to take a photo, and then forward it to the authorities! Citizen arrest - citizen arrest - citizen arrest!!!!!

I think we should start to self-police! Yes, that's it! If one finds oneself committing a violation, then one should report themselves to Marine Patrol and perhaps even be able to write oneself a ticket. The State could issue a debit card of sorts - if a violation occurs, then the violator could stop at the nearest ATM, choose the violation on the screen, then the card would be debited for the appropriate fine amount. It's the solution to all problems. I'd better find a convenient ATM for all the fines I'm going to impose on myself for speeding by Bear Island this summer.
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:08 AM   #41
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRegrets View Post

You mean an ipad not an ipod.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:00 PM   #42
NoRegrets

Thank you. I am getting to the age where I should have known better but failed to pay attention. I really miss the simplicity of having a cell phone to make a phone call......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
I think we should start to self-police! Yes, that's it! If one finds oneself committing a violation, then one should report themselves to Marine Patrol and perhaps even be able to write oneself a ticket. The State could issue a debit card of sorts - if a violation occurs, then the violator could stop at the nearest ATM, choose the violation on the screen, and then the card would be debited for the appropriate fine amount. It's the solution to all problems. I'd better find a convenient ATM for all the fines I'm going to impose on myself for speeding by Bear Island this summer.
LMAO - It would be a hardship for people to take the action you suggested - BUT - Maybe we could start a business creating and selling software that fits the requirements you outlined to our government. They in turn can create a new law forcing all citizens run it on their personal devices.

We can use Motown to make a catchy little jingle "Report Yourself".

Back to the topic at hand.

Marine Patrol deals with fewer officers, more boats... It is really about safety and we need to deal with Public Safety with the soured perspective of dwi - rudeness - and a sense of arrogant entitlement. I am all in favor of a smack to the head of someone who is out of line but that is not possible anymore so we resort to the technicality of laws and catch me if you can behavior. The OWS protests have progressed the destruction of our police agencies credibility’s. If they arrest someone for breaking laws it is taped, on the internet within minutes, and on the six o’clock news. The police are portrayed in a bad light.

A percentage of more Marine Patrol on the waters will not change the crime of arrogance. It will take a more significant social shock to fix that.

Have a great weekend. Leaving to get to the lake before the afternoon traffic jams!
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:08 PM   #43
T2Green

Marine patrol are cops, State Cops.
T2Green is offline   Reply With Quote