Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Snowmobiling
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2008, 10:19 PM   #1
Winopt

Default Snowmobile rental

Does anyone have any recommendation on where I can rent a skimobile in the Laconia area?

Thanks!
Winopt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 05:59 PM   #2
Winopt

Default Area rentals

Ok, so no one knows where you can rent a skimobile in Laconia. It could very well be that there are no places that rent in laconia. What if I broaden the question to the Lakes Region! If not rentals, does anyone have and recommendation for skimobile dealers?

Thanks!
Winopt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 07:33 PM   #3
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

http://www.newhampshiresnowmobilerentals.com/

The lakes region has not gotten a ton of snow in the recent past (except last year) so it is hard to support rentals here. You will have to go north. There is a place in Ossipee on 16 near White lake. Also I think there is a place in Lincoln heading toward Loon off 93.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 04:10 PM   #4
Belmont Resident

Default very expensive to rent

Not sure about this area but up in Maine its $250.00 a day and gets really expensive for every hour your late returning the machine.
If you are looking for a dealer be wary of HK. The prices are higher than most dealers and many locals including myself would never go there for service.
I went in one time with a question. I was pretty much told, we do not make money telling you how to fix it, bring it in and we will look at the problem for you.
I've had enough bad experiences with their lack of people skills that I'd drive to the other side of the lake before I went to them for even a part.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 08:32 AM   #5
hilltopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
Not sure about this area but up in Maine its $250.00 a day and gets really expensive for every hour your late returning the machine.
If you are looking for a dealer be wary of HK. The prices are higher than most dealers and many locals including myself would never go there for service.
I went in one time with a question. I was pretty much told, we do not make money telling you how to fix it, bring it in and we will look at the problem for you.
I've had enough bad experiences with their lack of people skills that I'd drive to the other side of the lake before I went to them for even a part.
I have a Honda ATV that's needed service in the past. Apparently HK's in Tilton gets $80/hour for service labor .

Is there any other option for Honda ATV maintenance?
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2008, 08:00 PM   #6
fatlazyless

About four miles from exit 40 on route 93, in Littleton NH, there's Moore Dam Honda, and Littleton Motorsports. Both most likely service Honda atv's.

Also, check out the Vllage Store on Main Street, route 302, in nearby Bethlehem, altitude about 1800' for real good, made-to-order, large submarine sandwiches for just 2.99.

Everything north of Franconia Notch costs less because everyone is always broke, up there. Living 'north of the notch' is just another way of saying 'permanently broke.'

Times are tough all around. Hey, I noticed that even the Saint Vincent de Paul, second hand store in Laconia has recently installed video security cameras to help prevent shop lifting. And , they charge all of ten cents each for old style, audio cassette cartridges of Nat King Cole, Frank Sinatre, and Dave Brubeck.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:10 AM   #7
gtxrider

Default Rentals

Used Little Man but the only problem is that you are limited to where you can ride.

Watch what you say about HK they are a sponser!

FLL could thing you don't live here is Joisey spelling Sinatra wrong could get you a nap with the fishes.
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:51 AM   #8
Belmont Resident

Default atv service

I bought a used fixer upper motorcycle for my son. Laconia Motorbike did a lot of work getting it running. I've been happy and the owner, Rick I believe is very good to work with. He is located right off 107 behind the Laconia ice arene.
He works on just about every make & model including ATV's.
The best part is he is not against giving you a place to look if your interrested in troubleshooting a problem yourself.
Laconia Motorbike LLC (603) 527-9275
GTXRIDER sponser or not they still are open to comments if their work is substandard.

Last edited by Belmont Resident; 12-08-2008 at 08:55 AM. Reason: additional comment
Old 12-08-2008, 10:40 AM   #9
hilltopper

I've done business with Littleton Motorsports and like them, but don't want to travel over an hour each way for service.

I'll definitely keep Laconia Motorbike in mind, thanks! Any idea what they charge per hour for labor?

I've got nothing against the work HK has done for me, but $80/hour for labor? It's not a Ferrari, it's an ATV.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:51 AM   #10
Belmont Resident

Default labor rate

I have no idea what he charges.
But your right $80 is steep. But look at the area, mostly second homes, lots of money and they know it and charge accordingly. (That comment came from an HK employee that I met on a job site).
The problem is that is how quite a few businesses set their rates in area's where tourism is a thriving industry.
Unfortunately the average Joe is caught in the middle looking for a job done at a reasonable rate.
Another instance:
I have used Belknap tire for all my service work on our 2 and recently 3 vehicles for the last 5-6 years.
They have just recently lost my business, not because of only the labor but on top of that they mark up their parts to the extent that between labor cost and parts I did a job myself and saved over 400.00 and it only took 2 hours out of my day with NAPA's premium parts not the junk at VIP.
Don't get my wrong I've never had a complaint about the quality of work; I just can no longer afford to pay someone else to do a job I can do myself.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:28 PM   #11
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Belmont,you're right about HK.We bought two brand new sleds and a trailer in 2004.Last year one of them died on a mountain in Rumney and had to tow it 15 miles back.HK ripped it down and wanted $2700 for a rebuild..........it only had 2000 miles.I threw the parts in a box and took it out of there and have never been back.A used moter is under $1000.....so there it sits waiting for a motor.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:17 AM   #12
hilltopper

Default I wouldn't have gone back either....

...and probably won't. The place Belmont mentioned will get my next repair. It's frustrating to hear that HK screws the locals becuase they are priced for the seasonal influx of money. Hopefully that comes back and bites them in the arse....
Old 12-10-2008, 01:38 PM   #13
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopper View Post
...and probably won't. The place Belmont mentioned will get my next repair. It's frustrating to hear that HK screws the locals becuase they are priced for the seasonal influx of money. Hopefully that comes back and bites them in the arse....
I'm sorry, HK is not screwing the locals or anyone else. Their rates are posted. You may not like their rates, but that is a different story. Bringing your machines to the dealer for service is like bringing your car or truck to the dealer- it is more expensive than most independent shops- they have more and different overhead.

The rate should not matter- it is about value received. If you don't think you are receiving value for your $$ move on.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:03 PM   #14
hilltopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
I'm sorry, HK is not screwing the locals or anyone else. Their rates are posted. You may not like their rates, but that is a different story. Bringing your machines to the dealer for service is like bringing your car or truck to the dealer- it is more expensive than most independent shops- they have more and different overhead.

The rate should not matter- it is about value received. If you don't think you are receiving value for your $$ move on.
All I know is that I'm going to try other options. You ask 10 people about a dealership/repair shop and it always seems that 5 people love them and 5 people hate them. I think HK's prices are over the top and I was looking for other shops that will diagnose and fix issues I can't for under $80/hour. Dealer's are great if your equipment is under warranty or they're the only game in town. Now I know they are not!
Old 12-10-2008, 03:09 PM   #15
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopper View Post
All I know is that I'm going to try other options. You ask 10 people about a dealership/repair shop and it always seems that 5 people love them and 5 people hate them. I think HK's prices are over the top and I was looking for other shops that will diagnose and fix issues I can't for under $80/hour. Dealer's are great if your equipment is under warranty or they're the only game in town. Now I know they are not!
I am with you completely! I do not bring my vehicles or toys to dealers for service.

I was just saying that before most of us walk in the door, we know that going the dealers will be more $$. Some people will always go to the dealer (like my dad), some people never will (like me).

I get my dander up on forums (mostly truck forums)sometimes when people refer to dealerships as stealerships. The overhead on those places are out of sight and like it or not, they all have to make money or they cease to exist.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:22 PM   #16
Belmont Resident

Default HK is overly expensive though

I was just talking with someone tonight who agreed with HK's prices and motive and they said they used to be at $90.00 hourly but lost too much business and dropped to the current $80. I do believe they are taking advantage of this location and the influx of tourism. The sad part is that back in the late 90's and early 2000-2001 they actually had some really good mechanics. Some whom I know left because management just did not make it a pleasant place to work. Since then their reputation for doing quality work has gotten worse and worse. I honestly believe if there was more competition they would either go under or be forced to change their ways.

As for Laconia Motorbike his rates are $50.00 an hour, I just talked with him today.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:22 PM   #17
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Another HK story.....Next door neighbors moved up from Mass and had never been snowmobiling but were dying to learn.They went to HK and the salesman,seeing that they knew nothing about the sport,sold them two leftover dogs.......no electric start and no mirrors.....these folks are in their 50's also bought a trailer and complete outfits,all at top dollar. Shameful
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote