Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2009, 06:51 AM   #1
Just Sold

Post Personal Watercraft Accident

Channel 9 reported this morning that there was a Personal Watercraft accident Saturday in Wolfeboro. One operator cut in front of another and was hit. The hit operator suffered a serious leg injury and was taken to Huggins Hospital and later med-flighted to U-MAss Medical Center. The other operator was not injured. Under investigation by MP. No link on Ch 9 web site as of right now

Last edited by Just Sold; 07-13-2009 at 08:51 AM. Reason: typos - correct description - Politically Correct :)
Just Sold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 07:15 AM   #2
fatlazyless

WMUR says a 55 year old man from Moultonboro had a jet ski collision with another jetski that happened in Tuftonboro. He got a serious leg injury and was helicoptered to a Boston hospital by the Dartmouth medivac helicopter.

I heard somewhere that a helicopter ambulance ride runs about 14-thousand dollars so I think I'd opt to hitchhike to the Lakes Region Hospital emergency room. I bet you that someone lying down by the side of the road, all bloody and in shock could get a fast, free hitchhike ride to the hospital. Someone with an old Ford pickup truck would volunteer a fast trip in the back of the truck.

Better a freebie pickup truck ride than a 14-thousand dollar helicopter. What did people do before the DHART copter was here starting in about 1995?
Old 07-12-2009, 07:47 AM   #3
Skip

Post Lake Wentworth PWC collision

The collision happened on Lake Wentworth.

HERE is a short AP article on the incident as posted at the Union Leader website.
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:26 AM   #4
mneck1814

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
I heard somewhere that a helicopter ambulance ride runs about 14-thousand dollars so I think I'd opt to hitchhike to the Lakes Region Hospital emergency room. I bet you that someone lying down by the side of the road, all bloody and in shock could get a fast, free hitchhike ride to the hospital. Someone with an old Ford pickup truck would volunteer a fast trip in the back of the truck.

Better a freebie pickup truck ride than a 14-thousand dollar helicopter. What did people do before the DHART copter was here starting in about 1995?
You can complain about how expensive it is all you want, but when you or a loved one are in a life threatening situation you will be thankful that the service is available. I know I was when my sister had to be airlifted...
On a side note, DHMC just announced that one of the two DHART helicopters will be relocating to Manchester to better serve the southern part of the state.
Here is the article from last Thursdays Valley News:
http://www.vnews.com/07092009/5821810.htm
mneck1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:01 AM   #5
EricP

2 things come to mind.

Doesn't seem like they could have been 150' apart or it's likely the other driver might have been able to avoid him, speculation of course.

The other driver wasn't paying attention to his/her surroundings.

Both are just my thoughts on the subject, I do hope he's ok.
EricP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2009, 10:44 AM   #6
ApS

Default Sounds Serious, Hope All Is Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneck1814 View Post
"...You can complain about how expensive it is all you want, but when you or a loved one are in a life threatening situation you will be thankful that the service is available..."
You still must use some judgment in an emergency:

A few years ago, and before his telephone had been restored for the season, my neighbor staggered over to my place complaining of shortness of breath, and asked that I call an ambulance. I did so, and set him down in my vehicle to await the ambulance.

About 20 minutes later, the ambulance finally arrived, but continued on its way driving past my driveway.

Fortunately, ours is a dead-end road, and I flagged him down on his return. Still more minutes disappeared while he was carried up the hill.

All things turned out well, but I could have driven the same distance to Huggins Hospital in 8 minutes at legal speeds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Sold View Post
Channel 9 reported this morning that there was a jet ski accident Saturday in Wolfeboro.
It happened in Lake Wentworth, which is technically within the Town Limits of Wolfeboro—but just barely.

The Lake Wentworth Association had previously outlawed the "Jet-Ski"—probably more for their...ummm...err...ummm..."omnipresent ambiance" than to protect the public.

With a little help from the Legi$lature, the "Jet-Ski" model-name morphed into the "PWC" moniker, and all was right with the Lake Wentworth world once again.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:05 AM   #7
Dave R

Quote:
What did people do before the DHART copter was here starting in about 1995?
If they needed it, they died.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 11:12 AM   #8
weim2

Angry

OK Fatlazyless, how much is your life worth? And someone might remember what you just said when you need that heicopter!
weim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 09:59 PM   #9
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default OK Less

Next time you have a thought like this...don't !!!!
Old 07-13-2009, 06:16 AM   #10
Coolbreeze

The "scoop and run" logic is a dangerous one. The responding medics and ambulances carry the knowledge, professionalism and equipment to stabilize a patient at the scene or as they transport. A personal vehicle can not. The operator of the personal vehicle will be white knuckled while driving which can cause another accident because adrenaline is now added to the equation. In my opinion, everyone should know the basics of first aid and CPR. That knowledge alone may buy a patient golden minutes. If you are in a rural area and are waiting for help, help the responders find you by flagging them down or pulling your car in the street with the headlights and flashers on. A radio system and now computer cads in some emergency rigs will alow the emergency vehicle communicate to the hospital to prepare for the incoming patient, sometimes a cell phone can't. Where I am from, a medic or fire fightercan request a Fly of our Medivac but a Doctor gives the final go ahead.
Coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 07:03 AM   #11
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
You still must use some judgment in an emergency:

A few years ago, and before his telephone had been restored for the season, my neighbor staggered over to my place complaining of shortness of breath, and asked that I call an ambulance. I did so, and set him down in my vehicle to await the ambulance.

About 20 minutes later, the ambulance finally arrived, but continued on its way driving past my driveway.

Fortunately, ours is a dead-end road, and I flagged him down on his return. Still more minutes disappeared while he was carried up the hill.

All things turned out well, but I could have driven the same distance to Huggins Hospital in 8 minutes at legal speeds!

It happened in Lake Wentworth, which is technically within the Town Limits of Wolfeboro—but just barely.

The Lake Wentworth Association had previously outlawed the "Jet-Ski"—probably more for their...ummm...err...ummm..."omnipresent ambiance" than to protect the public.

With a little help from the Legi$lature, the "Jet-Ski" model-name morphed into the "PWC" moniker, and all was right with the Lake Wentworth world once again.
You might want to read up on the rules regarding the classification of ski-craft and boats.
Ski-craft is defined in NH as a craft capable of carrying no more than 2 people.

The name "Jet Ski" is a brand/model name, made by Kawasaki.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:17 PM   #12
Shreddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
You might want to read up on the rules regarding the classification of ski-craft and boats.
Ski-craft is defined in NH as a craft capable of carrying no more than 2 people.

The name "Jet Ski" is a brand/model name, made by Kawasaki.
Close, but not exactly. That "ski-craft" you refer to has been called a jet-ski for as long as I can remember. All PWC's have been called jet-skis and still called so nowadays. The only difference, as noted, is that a PWC that can carry three or more passengers is classified as a boat.

For reference...Green's Basin on Lake Winnipesaukee is a "No Jet-Ski" zone as stated by such on the map. That means "Jet-skis" can not go in there, however, PWC's that are considered boats (three or more passengers) can. If it was as you stated, only the Kawasaki model Jet-Ski wouldn't be allowed.
Shreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:40 PM   #13
Airwaves

Chipj29 is correct.
Jet-Ski is a brand name. It has slipped into the vernacular just as Kleenex is used to discribe a tissue. Both discribe a specific generic item (PWC or tissue) but both are brand names.
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:42 AM   #14
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreddy View Post
Close, but not exactly. That "ski-craft" you refer to has been called a jet-ski for as long as I can remember. All PWC's have been called jet-skis and still called so nowadays. The only difference, as noted, is that a PWC that can carry three or more passengers is classified as a boat.

For reference...Green's Basin on Lake Winnipesaukee is a "No Jet-Ski" zone as stated by such on the map. That means "Jet-skis" can not go in there, however, PWC's that are considered boats (three or more passengers) can. If it was as you stated, only the Kawasaki model Jet-Ski wouldn't be allowed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
Chipj29 is correct.
Jet-Ski is a brand name. It has slipped into the vernacular just as Kleenex is used to discribe a tissue. Both discribe a specific generic item (PWC or tissue) but both are brand names.
Thank you Airwaves. I was going to use the Xerox analogy, but Kleenex works too.
Shreddy, check out the NH boating laws. "Ski-craft" is referenced in there quite often.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:08 AM   #15
SIKSUKR

Chip and Airwaves are correct. I never refer to my PWC as a jetski. A jetski was named that because it was originally a powered stand on "ski" device. They eventually evolved into the sit-down versions that we see today. PWC do not fit this discription at all. The generic term jetski should be used for the stand-up models in my opinion.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:03 PM   #16
ApS

Unhappy Amputation Required...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Sold View Post
"...The hit operator suffered a serious leg injury and was taken to Huggins Hospital and later med-flighted to U-MAss Medical Center..."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
"...The collision happened on Lake Wentworth..."
A friend of that Tuftonboro family told me yesterday that the collision happened on Lake Winnipesaukee: The collision was severe enough that the victim, in Worcester, had his right leg amputated below the knee.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:51 AM   #17
Skip

Post Lake Wentworth PWC collision

Quote:
...A friend of that Tuftonboro family told me yesterday that the collision happened on Lake Winnipesaukee...
One of you is apparently confused.

The collision did indeed take place on Lake Wentworth, specifically it was offshore of the Warren Sands Road area.
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:54 AM   #18
Tank151

Default Huh?

Quote:
WMUR says a 55 year old man from Moultonboro had a jet ski collision with another jetski that happened in Tuftonboro. He got a serious leg injury and was helicoptered to a Boston hospital by the Dartmouth medivac helicopter.

Maybe Stephen Gostkowski or Adam Vinatieri's legs are worth more, but I know my leg is worth $14k?
Tank
Tank151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:32 AM   #19
wolfegirl

Quote:

:
Not sure what source you used, but the entirety of Lake Wentworth is within Wolfeboro town limits -- it is the largest lake in NH entirely within one municipality, without qualification.
wolfegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 01:31 PM   #20
fatlazyless

Default N72eh

N72EH.....tail numbers on a new Boston based helicopter ambulance. The EH are the initials of a 72 year old Boston medical doctor who drowned last year in a Maine dinghy tip-over in the 48-degree, May, Maine ocean waves. Helicopters and boats go together like hotdogs and applesauce, don't ya know! Probably would be alive today had he used a kayak as kayaks are very stabil and can negotiate large waves. Not to worry, not too sure what I mean either?

Heck, he probably had good enough medical insurance coverage to fully pay for a $14,000 helicopter ambulance ride, but it did him no good for lack of wearing a pfd or a swimmers belt.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 07-18-2009 at 03:08 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 03:13 PM   #21
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

I used to work at Hanscom AFB. I would refuel the Boston Med-Flight helicopters. Sometimes being called in a 2 am to do an emergency flight.
That money, and I'm not like the others harping on you, are worth every penny.
The maintenance of those two helicopters of theirs, training, payroll, hangar rent, office rent, meds, life saving equipment, insurance, etc., are not cheap. Not to mention the pyschological effects on the paramedics and nurses flying in those aircraft, after seeing injuries and death on a daily basis. Just something to think about when debating costs... BTW they did recently get a new Sikorsky (SR 76) the replace the aging Dolphine. Much quieter helo.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:52 AM   #22
ApS

Wink No Confusion Here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfegirl View Post
Not sure what source you used, but the entirety of Lake Wentworth is within Wolfeboro town limits -- it is the largest lake in NH entirely within one municipality, without qualification.
I intended nothing different: It's just a "hop-skip-and-a-jump" to New Durham, and just 10 miles to Maine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
"...One of you is apparently confused..."
The "family friend" was quite insistent; however, a Lake Wentworth resident wrote me that a crash did occur on Lake Wentworth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolbreeze View Post
"...The "scoop and run" logic is a dangerous one. The responding medics and ambulances carry the knowledge, professionalism and equipment to stabilize a patient at the scene or as they transport. A personal vehicle can not..."
Since the victim was already seated in my car, there wasn't any "scooping" to be done. (But I understand what you say).

I'm reminded of an analogous statement adopted by self-defense advocates:
Quote:
"When seconds count, the police are just minutes away".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
If they needed it, [DHART] they died.
Maybe a little overstated?

Not all Medevac flights are life-or-death flights; moreover, last year there weere 28 fatal Medevac crashes nationally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
"...PWC do not fit this description at all. The generic term jetski should be used for the stand-up models in my opinion..."
I'm agreeing with you on "stand-up" and "Jet-Ski", although there "stand-ups" that aren't Kawasaki—or was it a Suzuki? Are we clear on this yet?

Did you know that former VP Al Gore is saving Planet Earth—and owns a boat that carries a "ski-craft"?

>
>

Hey, this one looks like a "Jet-Ski"—or is it a "water-bike"?
Attached Images

Old 07-25-2009, 08:19 AM   #23
VtSteve

Al Gore has a carbon footprint the size of Texas His outrageous claims and yelling in speeches remind me of many such topics where people feel the only way to make a case is to throw stuff on the wall and see what sticks.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 10:23 AM   #24
jetskier

Default Kawasaki and Yamaha

Quote:
I intended nothing different: It's just a "hop-skip-and-a-jump" to New Durham, and just 10 miles to Maine.

The "family friend" was quite insistent; however, a Lake Wentworth resident wrote me that a crash did occur on Lake Wentworth.

Since the victim was already seated in my car, there wasn't any "scooping" to be done. (But I understand what you say).

I'm reminded of an analogous statement adopted by self-defense advocates:

Maybe a little overstated?

Not all Medevac flights are life-or-death flights; moreover, last year there weere 28 fatal Medevac crashes nationally.

I'm agreeing with you on "stand-up" and "Jet-Ski", although there "stand-ups" that aren't Kawasaki—or was it a Suzuki? Are we clear on this yet?

Did you know that former VP Al Gore is saving Planet Earth—and owns a boat that carries a "ski-craft"?

>
>

Hey, this one looks like a "Jet-Ski"—or is it a "water-bike"?
The two primary manufacturers of standup watercraft are Kawasaki and Yamaha. There have been some other small companies that have built standups primarily for racing. I used to have a Kawasaki 750SX and I decided that I was too old for it and gave it to my brother in law. That was a mistake.

For a short period of time, waterbikes were manufactured and they look like a bike sort of with skis. They never became popular and are rarely seen. The sitdown watercraft has pretty much taken over the market except for the racing scene. Standups are still preferable for tricks and freestyle. Since I gave away my standup, I have only seen one other on the lake.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 06:03 PM   #25
breathe easy

What did people do before the DHART copter was here starting in about 1995?[/QUOTE]

What many of them did was ...well die. Neither Lakes nor Huggins is a trauma center and the "golden hour" to get a patient to the proper level of care is truly life saving. These life flights are not dispatched on a whim, but in true medical emergencies.
breathe easy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:58 AM   #26
4Fun

I don't have a picture but Circa 1992 I used to haul my stand up JetSki around in the back of my my Mustang GT. It got some funny looks on the highway!!

I still have it but just don't have time to use it. The JetSki that is.
4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:10 AM   #27
Woodsy

Jetskier...

I saw a red WetBike going thru the Weirs Channel this weekend! They are def cool to watch people ride when its choppy!

Woodsy

PS: The DHART guys saved my fathers life when he had the motorcyle accident! IMHO they are absolutely critical to saving lives in this area!