Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2015, 09:24 AM   #1
fatlazyless

Default Bike Week 2015 visitor numbers?

"Anne Deli, President of Laconia Harley-Davidson which is located in Meredith, told the Meredith Board of Selectmen that her staff counted about 40,000 visitors to the dealership during the rally and estimated that between 80,000 and 100,000 attended the rally in 2015 - 'a lot less than what's reported'."

You can read all about it here: http://www.laconiadailysun.com/index...harley-at-odds

Myself: I don't know what to think about this; is this good news, bad news, or just indifferent news ......... hmmmm .... and does it make any difference?

About all I can say is that Weirs Beach could be a good go-to spot for bicycles and bike pedalers once the WOW Trail gets built. Combining a WOW Trail 18-mile, back and forth, Laconia-Meredith-Laconia bicycle ride along the Winnipesaukee shoreline with a stop at Weirs Beach and maybe a cruise on the Mount Washington seems like a natural ...... a pretty decent tourist way to spend the day in the area ....... time to see the big lake by bike, and by boat.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 08-21-2015 at 10:41 AM. Reason: ...forgot hyphen between Harley and Davidson!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 10:09 AM   #2
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

One of the things I hate about driving to the Gilford side is seeing all the empty areas used one week a year.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Resident 2B (08-29-2015)
Old 08-29-2015, 09:27 AM   #3
fatlazyless

Here's a follow up opinion from Anne Deli in the August 29 LaDaSun:

http://www.laconiadailysun.com/index...otorcycle-week

In all honesty I don't think I give two poops about bike week, and would just as soon see Laconia Harley-Davidson be reformed into a giant bicycle store, and bike week could go from motorcycles to bicycles, and still be called bike week which would continue the 95-year history of bike week. Just picture the lakes region with state roads like Rt 3, Rt 11, and Rt 104 with a seperate bicycle lane along-side the two car lanes, plus the luxurious waterfront Winnipesaukee-Opechee-Winnisquam rail-trail, bicycle and walking trail .... the www.wowtrail.org. I recall that Laconia Harley-Davidson was placed 'for sale' maybe 2-3 years ago, but apparently it has not been sold, and is still probably owned by Anne Deli and her husband?

Does the lakes region really want to save bike week from dwindling down in numbers and maybe disappearing .......like.......who cares....and it could be that bike week would better serve the lakes region if it once again became a three day, weekend event as opposed to a nine day, non-event?
Old 08-29-2015, 11:38 AM   #4
camp guy

Default Bike Week

I am not a motorcycle biker in any sense of the word, never was, and probably never will be, but I do live in the Lakes Region - Home to Bike Week.

FLL is not so far off base as some may think; however, considering the magnitude of Bike Week, this question deserves a lot of discussion before any discisions are made. Bike Week is centered at Weirs Beach, but it's financial tentacles reach virtually every corner, nook, and cranny of New Hampshire, and into Maine, Vermont, and even neighboring Massachusetts, Connecticut and New York.

There is no denying the economic impact Bike Week has to the merchants who sell bike-related material, fuel, food, and other sundries. The local housing market gets a boost, not to mention the restaurants of all shapes and sizes.

Years ago Bike Week was a different animal, not really family-friendly, and trainted (sadly) by the bad-boy behavior of many of the participants. However, I think this is changing, and will take time, to a situation wherein the bad-boy syndrome is going away and a more family-friendly atmosphere prevails. This is not to say that Bike Week will lose its edgy feeling, but to say that the unsavory element may go away in favor of a less "frightening" crowd.

One has to remember that the Bike Week bikers are not the only users of Bike Week, in that many, many visitors participate simply as 'watchers', and, also, these people use the gas stations, retail outlets, and restaurants.

Does reform need to happen - probably, does it need to be immediate - probably not.

As I started out by saying, I am not a biker (and it probably shows), but I do strongly feel this is an event with deep roots in out area, and I would like to see it continue, but I would also think that all sides need to be heard from to discuss issues. The article by Anne Deli is a great starting point.

Enjoy the rest of the summer.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 11:38 AM   #5
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
One of the things I hate about driving to the Gilford side is seeing all the empty areas used one week a year.
Don't point a finger solely at Bike Week.

The Lakes Region is basically a quasi-rural area with a small permanent population.

There is not enough year-round demand to support more businesses than are already in operation; many of those seem to barely get by.

Supply and demand at work.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2015, 05:25 PM   #6
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
Don't point a finger solely at Bike Week.

The Lakes Region is basically a quasi-rural area with a small permanent population.

There is not enough year-round demand to support more businesses than are already in operation; many of those seem to barely get by.

Supply and demand at work.
I'm mostly referring to the empty parking lots.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 05:32 PM   #7
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
"Anne Deli, President of Laconia Harley-Davidson which is located in Meredith, told the Meredith Board of Selectmen that her staff counted about 40,000 visitors to the dealership during the rally and estimated that between 80,000 and 100,000 attended the rally in 2015 - 'a lot less than what's reported'."

You can read all about it here: http://www.laconiadailysun.com/index...harley-at-odds

Myself: I don't know what to think about this; is this good news, bad news, or just indifferent news ......... hmmmm .... and does it make any difference?

About all I can say is that Weirs Beach could be a good go-to spot for bicycles and bike pedalers once the WOW Trail gets built. Combining a WOW Trail 18-mile, back and forth, Laconia-Meredith-Laconia bicycle ride along the Winnipesaukee shoreline with a stop at Weirs Beach and maybe a cruise on the Mount Washington seems like a natural ...... a pretty decent tourist way to spend the day in the area ....... time to see the big lake by bike, and by boat.
This area is a relatively difficult area to bicycle in. There are many long steep hills. Especially along the Weirs to Meredith route.

I know, I love to bicycle here and by the end of the summer cycling back at home is a piece of cake and I average a few mph faster on my go to routes.

That said, I think bike week should stay. I see many people enjoying themselves and it does bring some badly needed money in for local businesses.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 09:41 AM   #8
fatlazyless

Default ....greater and broader investment!

"Mayor calls for greater and broader investment in Bike Week" - Laconia Daily Sun; to read what Laconia Mayor, and editor/publisher of the LaDaSun, Ed Engler, has to say in the August 26 Laconia Daily Sun; you have my permission to google this.

http://www.laconiadailysun.com/index...r-on-bike-week

So's Mr Mayor ...... duh ......what's the plan here .....do's we lets Bike Week dry up and die away or what here? You knows that all the empty lots at the Weirs on Rt 3 create some very nice, serene, open spaces which probably all at the same time as being vacant, pay some very big property taxes! As a knowing zoning person recently said; "the Weirs seems to be at war with itself?"

Last edited by fatlazyless; 08-31-2015 at 11:25 AM.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:48 AM   #9
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
This area is a relatively difficult area to bicycle in. There are many long steep hills. Especially along the Weirs to Meredith route.

I know, I love to bicycle here and by the end of the summer cycling back at home is a piece of cake and I average a few mph faster on my go to routes.

That said, I think bike week should stay. I see many people enjoying themselves and it does bring some badly needed money in for local businesses.
....and, the WOW Trail is by definition, a rail trail that will travel 9-miles-plus from Laconia to Meredith, and straight through the Weirs that would offer the walker, jogger, bicycle pedaler, and baby carraige pusher, a smooth waterfront 'trail' that is almost totally flat with no ups or downs to climb because it is directly on the waterfront.....which is a big plus.....and would make it more user friendly.

With no hills and valleys, no ups and downs, why, even your great great grandma and great great grandpa could go do the WOW Trail together in their wheel chair and ambulatory care walker .... which unlike a motorcycle......have no engine ..... hut-hut-hut ...... let's move it out - it's time to be ambulat'n .....Grandpa!
Old 08-30-2015, 12:34 PM   #10
noreast

What is the point of this thread? Is bike vs bike a topic in Laconia. All I know is that it brings in a ton of money and should be duplicated by any convention or gathering possible. seriously is this an Issue? the way all local Gov operates I would think more not less is the goal. The spending certainly won't go the other way.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 02:21 PM   #11
Acrossamerica

Not sure if the big bike crowd is ready for spandex and very strange helmets. Can't wait to see how the first hiker/biker handles being scared out of their shorts by the summer tourist train that sneaks up on them on the other trail.
Acrossamerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:25 AM   #12
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
....and, the WOW Trail is by definition, a rail trail that will travel 9-miles-plus from Laconia to Meredith, and straight through the Weirs that would offer the walker, jogger, bicycle pedaler, and baby carraige pusher, a smooth waterfront 'trail' that is almost totally flat with no ups or downs to climb because it is directly on the waterfront.....which is a big plus.....and would make it more user friendly.

With no hills and valleys, no ups and downs, why, even your great great grandma and great great grandpa could go do the WOW Trail together in their wheel chair and ambulatory care walker .... which unlike a motorcycle......have no engine ..... hut-hut-hut ...... let's move it out - it's time to be ambulat'n .....Grandpa!
Trail wouldn't be a plus for the shore front owners who would be staring at a chain link fence.....also, on the Meredith link, there is a lot of woodlands behind the tracks and all of the wild life would be cut off from the water. The Laconia Lakeport end is fine because of the dense population but north of Lakeport is a bad idea.
BTW we are dues paying Rails to Trails members and bike often....not too much in this area but mostly in the south on vacation.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:32 AM   #13
Woodsy

Samiam...

As a resident of the Weirs... I think the WOW trail is a great idea. I think the fence requirement is silly, especially since the trains are slow moving. Walking/jogging/biking along Weirs Blvd is far more dangerous! I will take my chances with the train any day! I also think there are different fencing options that can be explored other than an ugly chain link fence. I get that the property owners in Southdown are a bit twisted, but the property along the railroad ROW belongs to the people of NH and should be developed for their use.

Woodsy
Resident 2B (09-01-2015)
Old 08-31-2015, 03:40 PM   #14
ITD

I have friends who come up for bike week every year and have been for the last 35 or so years.

One friend summed it up nicely I think. He pointed out the massive police presence in the past 10 or so years and the implication to a kid who comes up here to enjoy the rally.

Kid comes up, gets nabbed in one of the many speed traps, other observation points, is issued a $100 + ticket, plus the associated insurance premium hike. Pretty devastating to a 20 something just starting out and not worth the risk. This kid tells all his friends, word gets around and they avoid the rally like the plague. This is pretty apparent as you walk around the Weirs and the median age is 50+.

Now some are going say obey the law and you won't have problem, and that's true, but intimidate your customers and they will stay away.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 04:57 PM   #15
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
I have friends who come up for bike week every year and have been for the last 35 or so years.

One friend summed it up nicely I think. He pointed out the massive police presence in the past 10 or so years and the implication to a kid who comes up here to enjoy the rally.

Kid comes up, gets nabbed in one of the many speed traps, other observation points, is issued a $100 + ticket, plus the associated insurance premium hike. Pretty devastating to a 20 something just starting out and not worth the risk. This kid tells all his friends, word gets around and they avoid the rally like the plague. This is pretty apparent as you walk around the Weirs and the median age is 50+.

Now some are going say obey the law and you won't have problem, and that's true, but intimidate your customers and they will stay away.
NH State Police had a car stationed across from Cumberland Farms. He was writing tickets left and right. After he issued a ticket he would turn to the traffic, which was at a dead stop, and point (like a tough guy) at a bike or two to pull next to him. I saw tickets for handle bar and other petty equipment violations. He wrote people up for shutting off their bike while sitting in dead stop traffic (Harley's are air cooled and it's not uncommon to shut a bike down in extreme heat while sitting in traffic). This happened on multiple days. Ridiculous and counterproductive.
PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaugusBayFireFighter For This Useful Post:
idoso (09-01-2015)
Old 08-31-2015, 05:57 PM   #16
Tank151

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaugusBayFireFighter View Post
NH State Police had a car stationed across from Cumberland Farms. He was writing tickets left and right. After he issued a ticket he would turn to the traffic, which was at a dead stop, and point (like a tough guy) at a bike or two to pull next to him. I saw tickets for handle bar and other petty equipment violations. He wrote people up for shutting off their bike while sitting in dead stop traffic (Harley's are air cooled and it's not uncommon to shut a bike down in extreme heat while sitting in traffic). This happened on multiple days. Ridiculous and counterproductive.
I had seen the same trooper. He pulled over an older couple in front of me that had done nothing wrong. I was behind them all the way from Meredith. They drove straight as an arrow, no speeding or any other infraction. It couldn't have been for expired tags or inspection sticker because he pointed to them prior to him viewing their plates.

Although I'm biased towards motorcycles, the large "bullying" police presence will ruin this event.

Bike week and Nascar are the two events that keeps local businesses in business!

FLL - Please post meaningful posts!
Tank151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:51 AM   #17
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaugusBayFireFighter View Post
Last year wife and I were eating at the Tamarack one evening and bikes were backed up as usual at the lights.One kid in his 20's or so just pushed his sun glasses up briefly to look around officers motioned him to pull over and they wrote him a ticket for not having proper eye protection.
Totally uncalled for and heavy handed.The kid was stopped in traffic.
We've enjoyed bike week since it was called the Gypsy Tour but it's being ruined by too much law enforcement.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:50 AM   #18
fatlazyless

Here's my complaint ..... a couple years ago....was down there on a Wednesday evening.... booped over there by motorboat ....and just to the left of the Mount Washington dock area.....there was a large transportable outdoor stage that was a 53' semi van trailer that opens up into a large outdoor performance stage which was sponsored by Progressive Insurance.

What was missing up on the very nice stage? There was absolutely nothing happening on the stage ...... no commentator.....no live musicians.....no hotdog eating contest.... no comedian .... no nothing ..... it was a totally empty stage at 7:30-pm ....and one hour later ....at 8:30-pm.....it was still very empty. Where the heck was the high quality, free entertainment ..... or even the low quality, free entertainment ... like some local farmer to demonstrate 'how to milk a cow', with a real live cow up on stage, accompanied by a 4-piece band, or something corny like that...... good grief......even Sarah Palin would have been an up-grade?

There was nothing to do except to walk around Lakeside Ave and visit the temporary retail venders who sell t-shirts, patches, and sunglasses.

U-know....if I want to buy a MC-Week t-shirt, then I can go to the St Vincent de Paul thrift store and get one from last year for just two dollars! And, ditto that for sunglasses for 50-cents!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 09-02-2015 at 03:10 AM.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:32 AM   #19
jbolty

Organizing a big event is a huge undertaking and takes a year of planning.

For many, many , many years this even was just an excuse for bikers to meet up, swap lies and hang out for a couple days. In the modern world people expect to be entertained and there is money to be made in doing it. It costs a lot of money to travel these days and it better be worth it.

The event organizers would do well to see how others do it. New Orleans hosts about 500,000 for jazzfest, Austin has SXSW and ACL and there are many others that surround some event but fling activities all over the surrounding areas.

There is no excuse for the empty stage mentioned above.

At the same time it would be great to use the infrastructure to host another event later in the year. Why not a music festival around foliage time with concerts scattered around the lakes region?

Small thinking gets small results
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote