Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2012, 09:02 AM   #1
Rinkerfam

Default Kudos to Paugus Bay Marina

After seeing thumbs up to East Coast Flight Craft and Gillan Marine, I wish that I had posted this on Monday like I had planned. Last Saturday we headed out from Paugus Bay Marina for a day on the water with family. We got as far as Eagle Island and the boats engine control alarm started to sound. I thought it was low drive oil and throttled back to investigate. The engine stalled upon placing the throttle in neutral. I checked the drive oil reservoir and it was full, so I decided to try and re-start the engine. I could only keep it running in neutral with enough throttle to keep the revs up. After a few tries at getting it into gear I finally succeeded and headed back to the marina. I knew that the oil pressure was fine and the engine temp was fine so I didn't think there would be an issue getting back under the boats own power. After banging into the dock (again, motor died as soon as I tried to put it into reverse), we tied up at the marina. I knew that we wouldn't get anyone to look at the the boat that day as it was the marina's annual customer appreciation day and the place was jammin'. I spoke to Reggie (the head mechanic, who also happened to be the dj for the days festivities) and he told me based on the symptoms I described that I needed a new IAC (idle air control valve). He said that if he had one in stock he would change it first thing Sunday morning so we wouldn't lose the weekend. I called at 8:30 Sunday am and was told that he had located the part and was installing it. This is customer service!! I have been wowed by these people before in terms of how well they treat their customers, but this was worthy of sharing. A lot of other marinas would have told me to call mid-week to see if they could have me in the water the following weekend. Reggie really went out of his way to get me up and running in less than 24 hours, on a WEEKEND! Thanks Reggie and the rest of the gang at Paugus Bay Marina.
Excalibur (09-21-2012)
Old 08-25-2012, 01:44 PM   #2
NHBUOY

Thumbs up

Reggie..Zen Master wrench turner by day, & spinnin the hot wax by night.
NHBUOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:29 AM   #3
Dave R

That's great to hear. I love hearing all the positive stories about local small businesses.

I'm starting to think an IAC should be in every fuel-injected boat owner's spares kit. Mine failed this year too. They are pathetically simple to replace on a GM motor.

I think they fail often on boats due to the lack of a proper air filter. When mine failed, I was able to get it working at the Wolfeboro public dock by removing it and exercising it a bit. Worked fine after that, but I put a new one in anyway and put the old one in my tool box as a spare. If you opt to have one on hand, make sure you have the tools (typically a torx driver) on hand to swap it out. They are not terribly expensive and can save your day/weekend.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote