Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2014, 12:32 PM   #1
Crusty

Default T-Bones, Patrick's & Lyons Den

I was up at the lake last week and had the opportunity to have dinner at three local restaurants.

T-Bones: Tuesday night, and the place was packed (a good sign). I ordered the special "horseradish crusted steak tips". I don't care for spicy-hot foods, but I like a little horseradish sauce from time-to-time, so I thought "what the heck". Well, they were delicious! Just a hint of horseradish flavor, without the heat. Good service, good food. The only downside was that the place was packed and a bit noisy. I'm reminded of Yogi Berra's quote: "Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded."

Patrick's: Wednesday night, it was Patrick's. I had their teriyaki steak tips; the wife had the haddock. We we seated in the restaurant part to avoid the bar noise. Two more delicious meals! The dining room was pleasant and reasonably quiet, the service was excellent.

Lyons Den: Thursday night, we went to Lyons Den. The wife ordered the haddock; I tried their steak tips. [Anyone noticing a pattern?]. Although it wasn't on the menu, I was offered a "surf and turf" with stuffed shrimp. I really liked it. The staff was very friendly, helpful, and pleasant. A nice quiet room with a lake view AND a fireplace.

We had some great dining experiences while waiting for the lake to unfreeze, and I have a general observation: The greater Columbus area has about the same population as New Hampshire and there are a hundred restaurants within a mile of my home. They mostly all suck. There are a few good ones mixed in, but you're lucky to find them before they close.

In the lakes region, I have seldom had a bad meal (or bad service, for that matter).

My theory is that because there are many fewer people in the lakes region, only the great restaurants survive.

Oh well, I guess I'll head over to the local White Castle and lunch on a couple of bullet burgers (they go right through you) or perhaps an "aqua rat with the dairy option" (fish sandwich with cheese).

[Hey! What do you know! I just made "Member" status ]
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Crusty For This Useful Post:
Acinonyx (04-27-2014), Rattlesnake Gal (04-25-2014), Resident 2B (05-01-2014), RLW (04-25-2014)
Old 04-25-2014, 12:47 PM   #2
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

We were at T-Bones on Monday and found that they had a new brew on tap, 603 Winni Ale. It was one of the best ales that I have ever had.
http://www.603brewery.com/
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 06:33 AM   #3
Diver Vince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
I was up at the lake last week and had the opportunity to have dinner at three local restaurants.

Oh well, I guess I'll head over to the local White Castle and lunch on a couple of bullet burgers (they go right through you) or perhaps an "aqua rat with the dairy option" (fish sandwich with cheese).
I hate to admit it, but seriously I do miss White Castle. We used to meet the most interesting folks when I was in my youth at 2:00 AM!
Diver Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:09 AM   #4
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default hmmm..

Great reviews, all good restaurants, though I'm not crazy about Patrick's. Too jammed in and too noisy.

I am concerned that you should consider a Cholesterol test fairly soon..
Old 04-26-2014, 08:38 AM   #5
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA View Post
Great reviews, all good restaurants, though I'm not crazy about Patrick's. Too jammed in and too noisy.

I am concerned that you should consider a Cholesterol test fairly soon..
Off season, during the week, Patrick's is fine.

My personal trainer would kill me if I had that much beef!

You should seriously add Avery's in Lakeport, 405 Grill and Local Eatery to or itinerary. Also Tavern 27. You wont be disappointed.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:30 PM   #6
mets3007

Patrick's is good, me and my dad would go there on early or mid week when its not as noisy and T Bone's was one of my favorite places the last 2 years I went to NH ( 2008 and 2009).
mets3007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:51 PM   #7
BroadHopper

Default King's Catch

The miss and I shared this summer special. The whole bellied clams, shrimp, scallops and haddock were fried to perfection! Home made cole slaw, French fries and onion rings compliment the seafood. Even the tarter sauce was gourmet. The best fried seafood plate I've had since the Clam Shack in Kennebunkport! The meal is definitely for two and then some which we took home.

I don't know what was in the batter, but it was very light with a hint of spice. I did not feel greasy at all and the fried food did not bother my stomach.

We saw a fantastic sunset off the patio overlooking Paugus Bay. It was an evening to remember.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:36 PM   #8
Phantom

Always accommodating.......

Always friendly & great service........

Always great food !

If the choice is between the three listed (all good places) -- Lyon's Den wins hands down

My only gripe is that it has become too popular and I now have to scramble at times to get a slip (damn how I hate to drive by car) or find my favorite table already reserved (how dare they) !!

Not a bad thing for Lauren/ Nicole though, they have built a GREAT reputation through the past years!

psssst ... heading up next week.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:30 AM   #9
Ross_t

Default Patricks

My wife and I weren't happy with our last trip to Patricks. We both ordered open face turkey sandwiches, listed on the outside sign as a special We hoped for a good quick lunch, but ended up with a bland meal and really, really slow service. I guess when I have a craving for turkey, I'll go to Harts.
Ross_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:03 AM   #10
BroadHopper

Default Time of week

As you can see we ate during the week. We always seem to have bad service on weekends when the restaurants are mobbed. Perhaps ross_t hit Patrick's on a weekend?

My opinion of Harts' is very bland food with a menu that have not been updated for decades.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:10 PM   #11
BrownstoneNorth

Default More kudos for Lyon's Den

Our party of four had a wonderful dining experience at Lyon's Den on Tuesday evening. Everything was great, as usual -- the food (duck, scampi, fish chowder, salads), owner Lauren, and the waitstaff. Our first choice for taking out-of-town visitors because it's so consistent.

Last edited by BrownstoneNorth; 07-24-2014 at 01:11 PM. Reason: stray asterisks
BrownstoneNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 01:10 PM   #12
jrc

What I noticed and complained about before is exactly the opposite at Patrick's. They seem to have poor service during slow times. I've been there on a hopping Saturday night, great food, great service. But went for a late lunch at 3pm on a Wednesday, painful, definitely got the "B" team. I know a lot of places used to close between lunch and dinner, but they have the bar.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:12 PM   #13
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
What I noticed and complained about before is exactly the opposite at Patrick's. They seem to have poor service during slow times. I've been there on a hopping Saturday night, great food, great service. But went for a late lunch at 3pm on a Wednesday, painful, definitely got the "B" team. I know a lot of places used to close between lunch and dinner, but they have the bar.
That has been our experience as well. Only 2 visits, both during non-peak hours, both times resulting in an experience that probably won't lead to a 3rd visit.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:13 PM   #14
Dave R

How are the prices at Lyons Den? Thinking about dinner by boat Friday evening, will I be able to get dock space?
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:29 PM   #15
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
How are the prices at Lyons Den? Thinking about dinner by boat Friday evening, will I be able to get dock space?
Prices are reasonable and food is great! Dock space is limited to dock #1 only (far right as viewed from water) unless you are a Gilford island resident. Be sure not to park in the unload only areas also. These are clearly marked on the uprights. I think you will be O.K. on Friday, go a little early 6:00ish if possible. Best to make reservations.

Enjoy!

Dan
Old 07-24-2014, 02:32 PM   #16
BroadHopper

Default Friday night

I would reserve ahead for a window seat. Friday nights are packed!

As for dock space, unless you have a Gilford sticker, space is very limited.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:19 AM   #17
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
I would reserve ahead for a window seat. Friday nights are packed!

As for dock space, unless you have a Gilford sticker, space is very limited.

Limited dock space means I don't want to make a reservation (and have nowhere to tie up...). Gonna grill some shrimp and steak on the boat instead.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:01 AM   #18
fpartri497

Default C Js

went there about 5:30 last night for dinner. was seated Immediately even though the place was packed with concert goers.then the wait. 49 min. after we placed our order for food, we got our medioca dinner. It was nothing to write home about but not horrible.

This was the second time this Mth. this has happened to us. Mgr. told us Its because of the concerts. don't have enough staff to handle. I said shame on you. not sure If I will go back or not

Old 07-25-2014, 10:11 AM   #19
Bumble2249

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpartri497 View Post
went there about 5:30 last night for dinner. was seated Immediately even though the place was packed with concert goers.then the wait. 49 min. after we placed our order for food, we got our medioca dinner. It was nothing to write home about but not horrible.

This was the second time this Mth. this has happened to us. Mgr. told us Its because of the concerts. don't have enough staff to handle. I said shame on you. not sure If I will go back or not

Eat Local.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-25-2014, 02:18 PM   #20
jrc

CJ = Cactus Jacks = local restaurant

What are you talking about?
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:56 PM   #21
BroadHopper

Default Better luck upstairs.

CJ's is a zoo, noisy and totally different atmosphere. I have better luck upstairs (T-Bones).

I can't understand why the management will not allow CJ menu upstairs and vice versa. I also found I can't order beer served downstairs, upstairs and vice versa.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:19 PM   #22
Bumble2249

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
CJ = Cactus Jacks = local restaurant

What are you talking about?

Really??? Local restaurant means a restaurant owned by a LOCAL. Not a corporation.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:04 PM   #23
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumble2249 View Post
Really??? Local restaurant means a restaurant owned by a LOCAL. Not a corporation.

Sorry, but eat local means different things to different people. You probably should refrain some from disparaging other restaurants when you obviously are in the business locally.

Which restaurant do you work at?

Any wise restaurateur incorporates
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:32 PM   #24
Resident 2B

Quote:

It may mean that to you, but it does not mean that to me. To me, eat local means eat close to where you are staying. I could care less who owns it. If it is good, I go there. That said, best around the Lanocia/Gilford area is Lyon's Den, in my opinion. It happens to be owned by local folks who do a great job.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:16 AM   #25
Bumble2249

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Sorry, but eat local means different things to different people. You probably should refrain some from disparaging other restaurants when you obviously are in the business locally.

Which restaurant do you work at?

Any wise restaurateur incorporates

Sorry but I don't work at any restaurant. Eat local, shop local, support local business owners. Does that make sense? Maybe I'm out of line and I'm sure you'll let me know, but like to eat at locally owned establishments. Just like I would shop at my local grocer rather than the big box store.

Old 07-27-2014, 05:10 AM   #26
BroadHopper

Default Local business

In my mind a local business is owned by local natives. The Lyons Den owners may live locally but they are not local natives. My 2 cents.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:18 AM   #27
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
In my mind a local business is owned by local natives. The Lyons Den owners may live locally but they are not local natives. My 2 cents.
If you put a little more thought into it, you might be able to come up with even more specific qualifications.
Bumble2249 (07-27-2014)
Old 07-27-2014, 06:24 AM   #28
brk-lnt

Quote:
Sorry but I don't work at any restaurant. Eat local, shop local, support local business owners. Does that make sense? Maybe I'm out of line and I'm sure you'll let me know, but like to eat at locally owned establishments. Just like I would shop at my local grocer rather than the big box store.
IMO, I think the whole "local" thing is a bit of scam or misdirection sometimes. I've seen plenty of "local" business owners run a skeleton crew, and then take their profits to buy a nice place in Naples, where they spend the majority of the earnings from the business.

The employees of a "big box store" are locals, and are usually spending their paycheck in the local community. It's not like these stores are siphoning money out of the community, and in many cases they are able to create MORE jobs and availability of products or services than similar local businesses could.

There is this perception that local business means everything is staying within the community, when frequently that is not really the case.

When it comes to eating, I'm generally not a fan of large franchised outlets in general. But, I'm not making my decisions based on a misconception of where the profits are going.
blacksheep (07-27-2014)
Old 07-27-2014, 06:32 PM   #29
Bumble2249

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
IMO, I think the whole "local" thing is a bit of scam or misdirection sometimes. I've seen plenty of "local" business owners run a skeleton crew, and then take their profits to buy a nice place in Naples, where they spend the majority of the earnings from the business.

The employees of a "big box store" are locals, and are usually spending their paycheck in the local community. It's not like these stores are siphoning money out of the community, and in many cases they are able to create MORE jobs and availability of products or services than similar local businesses could.

There is this perception that local business means everything is staying within the community, when frequently that is not really the case.

When it comes to eating, I'm generally not a fan of large franchised outlets in general. But, I'm not making my decisions based on a misconception of where the profits are going.

Yeah it's a constant debate over the big box vs the small town guy. I get that. But I have witnessed many times the big guys come into a small community and put multiple business's out of business. As I'm sure you have seen as well. Maybe I'm just that guy who enjoys supporting the business that's owned and run by a local family rather than the big conglomerate that even though their sales pitch to the community might be that of more jobs, they still take their profit and shuttle it back to the big home office and it goes from there.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:50 PM   #30
Chaselady

I really don't care who owns a business. If the food is "outstanding" and is offered by a family from somewhere else, I don't care. I go out to have a good dinner. If a local can't provide it, and an outsider does, guess where I will leave my money?
Chaselady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chaselady For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (07-28-2014), Bumble2249 (07-28-2014)
Old 07-28-2014, 12:39 AM   #31
Bumble2249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaselady View Post
I really don't care who owns a business. If the food is "outstanding" and is offered by a family from somewhere else, I don't care. I go out to have a good dinner. If a local can't provide it, and an outsider does, guess where I will leave my money?

That's an awesome way of thinking...
Old 07-28-2014, 08:39 AM   #32
fpartri497

when I go out to dinner or any other meal at a restrauint, I don't give a hoot who owns It as long as the food & service are good,