Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2011, 09:19 AM   #1
Belmont Resident

Default Removing snow off roofs

Having spent countless hours removing snow off roofs there are a few things to keep in mind.
First of all Joe the next door neighbor who has no knowledge of construction or roofs can do a lot of damage to a roof if he isn’t careful.
Having seen on the news those who were clearing ice and snow off a roof down in Mass. hacking away with the claw end of a hammer prompted this reminder.
Do not use a hammer especially not the claw end, instead use a rubber mallet. Rubber mallet not a metal sledge hammer.
Use a snow scoop or a plastic shovel without a metal edge on it. The edge can and usually will tear into shingles. While the metal edge on a snow scoop is rounded and blunt.
If you are going to hire someone hire a contractor. Weather it be a builder a painter or whatever, we have experience being up on ladders and roofs and most of us have at least a little knowledge of how to do things without causing further damage.
Hope this helps because you will not no if there is damage till spring and by then whoever you hired could be long gone.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Belmont Resident For This Useful Post:
NHKathy (02-05-2011)
Old 02-05-2011, 10:30 AM   #2
Sunrise Point

I was cringing when I saw that news segment with the fellow and his hammer.. I think that those folks will be having a lot of shingles replaced come springtime. If I remember correctly, that person with the claw hammer was from O'Lyn Roofing, a big, well known, roofing contractor down here.

Your method might take longer, but has to be much easier on the roof.

Stay safe up there and thanks for the info.
Sunrise Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:35 AM   #3
RLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
Having spent countless hours removing snow off roofs there are a few things to keep in mind.
First of all Joe the next door neighbor who has no knowledge of construction or roofs can do a lot of damage to a roof if he isn’t careful.
Having seen on the news those who were clearing ice and snow off a roof down in Mass. hacking away with the claw end of a hammer prompted this reminder. Do not use a hammer especially not the claw end, instead use a rubber mallet. Rubber mallet not a metal sledge hammer.
Use a snow scoop or a plastic shovel without a metal edge on it. The edge can and usually will tear into shingles. While the metal edge on a snow scoop is rounded and blunt.
If you are going to hire someone hire a contractor. Weather it be a builder a painter or whatever, we have experience being up on ladders and roofs and most of us have at least a little knowledge of how to do things without causing further damage.
Hope this helps because you will not no if there is damage till spring and by then whoever you hired could be long gone.
Did you also notice that the people swinging the hammers were from what some call a reputable contractor, I believe the name was O'Lynn Roofing. That said, guess one can not depend on a contractor to do the job right either.snowy-house
Old 02-05-2011, 11:03 AM   #4
Lakegeezer

Default Is it necessary?

When is removing the snow really needed? Modern houses (say, last 30 years) have been built to codes that expect snow loads. Is 3' of snow with high water content really create a risk of failure? Are those risks greater than the risks of removing it (falls, expense, damage to shingles, creating new water dams)? Some of the older homes and outbuildings not built to code may be a different story - but I am just wondering if I should just leave my very high roof alone, since it was built just a few years ago.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:03 PM   #5
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Yeah if you think of the gazzilions of houses out there and how many actually collapse from snow load.....I still take some off 'cause I can with a snow rake. I won't climb up anywhere. Nice if you have ranch house. Only rain on the snow makes me nervous.
This powdery stuff not so much. But I still take it off when it gets to about a foot or so deep. Just no sense in risking it I guess. It's like playing the lottery.... You never know when your gonna win....or lose.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2011, 01:08 PM   #6
MarkinNH

I have used a straight clawed hammer to chop away at ice damns for many years with no problems. I just use it on the thick heavy ice near the edge of the roof. The key is to have enough intelligance and common sense to know when your close enough and it's time to stop.
MarkinNH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkinNH For This Useful Post:
Waterbaby (02-07-2011)
Old 02-05-2011, 10:16 PM   #7
Cobalt 25

Although I have absolutely no knowledge about O'Lyn (or O'Lynn ?) Roofing, it doesn't seem fair to disparage a business without first hand experience with their work. A public forum hardly seems to be the place to make accusations about someone's livelihood without proof.

Positive suggestions on snow removal are always welcome. The advice of MarkinNH says it all- use common sense and know when to stop. I have used both a sledge hammer and a 2 pound hammer this year to break up the six inch thick ice on a section of my house with rubber roofing. Works for me...

Peter
Cobalt 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:27 PM   #8
KDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinNH View Post
I have used a straight clawed hammer to chop away at ice damns for many years with no problems. I just use it on the thick heavy ice near the edge of the roof. The key is to have enough intelligance and common sense to know when your close enough and it's time to stop.
Agree. We have been clearing a lot of snow and ice dams. We`either use a straight claw hammer or a small hatchet to cut small channels in the ice to relive the water. An inch of ice left on the roof won't hurt anything. We never touch the shingles.
KDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:04 AM   #9
MarkinNH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
When is removing the snow really needed? Modern houses (say, last 30 years) have been built to codes that expect snow loads. Is 3' of snow with high water content really create a risk of failure? Are those risks greater than the risks of removing it (falls, expense, damage to shingles, creating new water dams)? Some of the older homes and outbuildings not built to code may be a different story - but I am just wondering if I should just leave my very high roof alone, since it was built just a few years ago.
I believe most modern homes with a decent pitch to the roof will take a considerable amount of snow weight without a problem. When you take into account multiple small roofs, lots of intersecting interior walls that all help spread the roof load down to load bearing walls.
The roofs I would be most concerned with are detached garages, flat shed roofs, roofs with a very minimal pitch, car ports etc.
But as was stated. any roof that can easily have some of the weight removed, never hurts to do so.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:01 AM   #10
Chillin & Grillin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
Yeah if you think of the gazzilions of houses out there and how many actually collapse from snow load.....I still take some off 'cause I can with a snow rake. I won't climb up anywhere. Nice if you have ranch house. Only rain on the snow makes me nervous.
This powdery stuff not so much. But I still take it off when it gets to about a foot or so deep. Just no sense in risking it I guess. It's like playing the lottery.... You never know when your gonna win....or lose.
I have two 10,000 sf metal building in CT with a 3 pitch. The snow on the roof was 3' wet & packed mid last week. I cut out one square feet by 3' high put it in a garbage back and weighed it. 58.9 pounds! The building is designed to CT codes rated for 35 lbs per sqft.
So 20,000 sqft x 60 lbs = 1.2 million lbs.

I spend three days x 10 mens + rented lifts. Building is now cleared. Better safe then sorry.

There have been a number of commercial collapses in CT this past week.
Attached Images

Chillin & Grillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:15 AM   #11
Lakesrider

I used to work down at Hanscom Air Force Base. We had 20,000 sq ft Aircraft Hangars. We would actually hoist up snow blowers to the roof. If your at a million lbs I can't imagine what we had on the roofs during some of the storms we had down there. I agree, simple insurance is to get the snow off, if possible.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:57 AM   #12
Sal

Default This is a better method ...

Don't need no stinkin' claw hammer .....

Name:  Snowblowing_in_NH_11.jpg
Views: 1482
Size:  203.8 KB
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:03 AM   #13
Lakesrider

Exactly! LOL! Great pic. Just don;t go too close to the edge!
Old 02-06-2011, 09:24 AM   #14
KDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillin & Grillin View Post
I have two 10,000 sf metal building in CT with a 3 pitch. The snow on the roof was 3' wet & packed mid last week. I cut out one square feet by 3' high put it in a garbage back and weighed it. 58.9 pounds! The building is designed to CT codes rated for 35 lbs per sqft.
So 20,000 sqft x 60 lbs = 1.2 million lbs.

I spend three days x 10 mens + rented lifts. Building is now cleared. Better safe then sorry.

There have been a number of commercial collapses in CT this past week.
Truly amazing figures.
KDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:40 AM   #15
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
Don't need no stinkin' claw hammer .....
I'm sorry but there should be a law against doing that!

Is that a person on the porch just below the snowblower...to the left a little bit?

I reduced the picture to save on band width. To see the head of a person the larger photo shows it better.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:03 AM   #16
MarkinNH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post

Is that a person on the porch just below the snowblower...to the left a little bit?

I reduced the picture to save on band width. To see the head of a person the larger photo shows it better.
I believe your right, it Sure looks like a person sitting in a chair.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:35 PM   #17
Zee

Quote:

We already have too many laws. Do we need a law to protect all fools? I vote for common sense. They are both adults.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Zee For This Useful Post:
Argie's Wife (02-15-2011), Lucky1 (02-16-2011), RailroadJoe (02-07-2011), Resident 2B (02-06-2011), Waterbaby (02-07-2011)
Old 02-06-2011, 04:22 PM   #18
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

I agree with you Zee!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:56 PM   #19
brk-lnt

Quote:

For what reason would we need a law against someone removing snow from their roof?
Old 02-06-2011, 07:02 PM   #20
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
For what reason would we need a law against someone removing snow from their roof?
It was just a figure of speech.

I have two good reasons why I wouldn't do it:

1. Injury to you or someone else.
2. Damage to the roof.

To each there own I guess...I sure wouldn't put it over the internet for the whole world to see.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:41 PM   #21
Formula260SS

Quote:

The Snowblower was still up on the roof as of yesterday, I pass that house everyday. It's hilarious to see that picture posted
Formula260SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:57 PM   #22
trfour

Smile Other Than An Occasional Roof Rake...

I have relied mostly on Mother Nature's Spring! I think it's still available in the Sears catalog!

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:02 PM   #23
lawn psycho

Quote:

Looks life a fairly flat roof and the operator seems to be having no issues handling the snowblower. Set the shoes about 2 inches off the roof and there would be no damage to the shingles.

This is precisely why when you build a house you don't want anything less than a 10 pitch IMO!
lawn psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:07 AM   #24
SIKSUKR

Yup, now we have the snowblower police.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:26 PM   #25
Argie's Wife

There are laws for things like that - Darwin's Law of Natural Selection.

Quote:
Increased intelligence sometimes increases survival and reproduction.
Translation: Do something stupid and you won't survive or reproduce.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:34 PM   #26
Sal

I think that's a corollary, not a "translation".
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:14 PM   #27
Rattlesnake Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
Translation: Do something stupid and you won't survive or reproduce.
I actually wonder how many people have accidentally reproduced because they did something stupid?

Last edited by Rattlesnake Guy; 02-15-2011 at 09:45 PM. Reason: spelling
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rattlesnake Guy For This Useful Post:
Argie's Wife (02-16-2011)
Old 02-15-2011, 08:54 PM   #28
MarkinNH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Guy View Post
I actually wonder how many people have ardently reproduced because they did something stupid?

Umm, I personally know of one.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:04 AM   #29
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
There is one that they leave up on the roof on the Winnipesaukee River across from the public ramp on Winnisquam. Its up on the covered boat houses, some of those roofs don't look like they are in the best shape.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:10 AM   #30
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamguy View Post
There is one that they leave up on the roof on the Winnipesaukee River across from the public ramp on Winnisquam. Its up on the covered boat houses, some of those roofs don't look like they are in the best shape.
Am pretty sure I recall seeing that old sno-thro up on the roof at the Belknap Marina, where Lake Winnisquam meets the Winnipesaukee River in the summer time as seen from the state boat launch dock behind Boulia Gourell's lumber.