Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2010, 09:00 AM   #1
fatlazyless

Default federal motorcycle helmet law proposed

Motorcycles and motorcycling are very popular in the lakes region what with the Laconia Motorcycle Week, Meredith Harley Davidson dealer, and the new police motorcycle museum being built in the old Meredith antiques barn. Only New Hampshire, Iowa, and Illinois have no motorcycle helmet laws according to today's Nov 17 article in the www.concordmonitor.com. It takes all of ten minutes of warm weather driving to figure out that motorcycles are all over the lakes region and there's plenty who chose not to wear a helmet.

Here's some talk about a federal law that would require helmets country-wide. With the Republicans now in majority control of the U.S. House, it seems unlikely to get passed, but one never knows? Driving around the area, it's very common to see plenty of people driving a bike without a helmet. Does it make any difference? According to State Rep Sherman Packard, R-Londonderry, current NH House-minority leader and Sturgis Motorcycle Hall of Famer: Most all motorcycle deaths would get killed with or without a helmet, so it really don't make any difference, wearing a helmet!

You know something....as a long time motorcycle driver.... State Rep Sherm Packard must know what he's talk'n about and is probably correct on that...helmets do not really matter all that much...

On second thought, this law would probably not have to get passed through congress but would be a rule issued by the National Transportation Safety Board, which is a federal agency within the Dept of Transportation.....so who knows.....& stay tuned??? It seems likely that a national motorcycle helmet law and a national health insurance requirement are health care partners. Oops....did I just say that....but it's probably true.....national health care and national helmets are a natural go-together....even President Obama was on tv the other month riding a bicycle on Martha's Vineyard and guess what......Obama was not wearing his helmet.....it all just shows to go!
Old 11-17-2010, 09:12 AM   #2
AC2717

If I am not mistaken, in R.I. the driver does not need a helmut, but the passenger does

So if this still holds true? I have been out of the state for just over tow years now, they already have their statistics wrong
Old 11-17-2010, 09:55 AM   #3
ironhorsetim

There is no helmut law in Florida either....just sayin

"Always do sober,what you say you'll do drunk,
That will teach you to keep your mouth shut"
Ernest Hemmingway
ironhorsetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:13 AM   #4
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
If I am not mistaken, in R.I. the driver does not need a helmut, but the passenger does
The above is true. Something else I have noticed. Just about 100% of adults riding bicycles wear Helmut's. Anywhere Helmut's are NOT required while riding motorcycles.. Rhode Island, Connecticut and New Hampshire, many don't wear them.

It's NOT About Safety..it's about what is COOL and CHIC. Helmut's on bicycles ARE COOL. Helmut's on motorcycles are NOT COOL.

It's all about Coolness. Nobody want's to be UN Cool. NB (TOTALLY UN Cool )
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:34 AM   #5
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
The above is true. Something else I have noticed. Just about 100% of adults riding bicycles wear Helmut's. Anywhere Helmut's are NOT required while riding motorcycles.. Rhode Island, Connecticut and New Hampshire, many don't wear them.

It's NOT About Safety..it's about what is COOL and CHIC. Helmut's on bicycles ARE COOL. Helmut's on motorcycles are NOT COOL.

N.B.;

I have to disagree and here's why... If it was all about safety why aren't helmets required when driving automobiles?? According to the NHTSA in 2003 there were 42,643 automobile deaths in the US. Of those deaths 90% were caused by head injuries. In that same year there were 3,661 motorcycle fatalities. Wouldn't a heck of a lot more lives be saved if automobile drivers wore helmets??... or for that matter why isn't someone pushing for legislation to require all licensed drivers auto or motorcycle to wear helmets??

Knowing that wearing a helmet in an automobile would save a lot of lives would you be for it?? If not why??

I ride and wear a helmet, not all the time but many times and anyone would be an idiot to say that helmets do not help in low speed crashes. However I feel that is my decision whether to wear one or not and not the governments. I am sick of "big brother" trying to save me from myself. When does government intervention end??...

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (11-17-2010), Lakepilot (11-17-2010), LIforrelaxin (11-18-2010), Slickcraft (11-17-2010)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2010, 10:37 AM   #6
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts
Default I can govern myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
N.B.;

I have to disagree and here's why... If it was all about safety why aren't helmets required when driving automobiles?? According to the NHTSA in 2003 there were 42,643 automobile deaths in the US. Of those deaths 90% were caused by head injuries. In that same year there were 3,661 motorcycle fatalities. Wouldn't a heck of a lot more lives be saved if automobile drivers wore helmets??... or for that matter why isn't someone pushing for legislation to require all licensed drivers auto or motorcycle to wear helmets??

Knowing that wearing a helmet in an automobile would save a lot of lives would you be for it?? If not why??

I ride and wear a helmet, not all the time but many times and anyone would be an idiot to say that helmets do not help in low speed crashes. However I feel that is my decision whether to wear one or not and not the governments. I am sick of "big brother" trying to save me from myself. When does government intervention end??...

Dan
That is the reason why no matter where I am I do not wear a seatbelt whether in NY, NH or anywhere else.
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:37 AM   #7
RailroadJoe

All the time I rode a "bike" I chose not to wear a helmet for the same reason I do not wear seat belts. It's my life and let me be me, not a pawn of the government.
Let common sense return, drive safely not like some of the idiots I see flying low.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:45 AM   #8
jrc

I think we need helmet laws for legislators. It's pretty obvious to anyone that being in goverment causes brain damage. So they should be required to wear helmets to protect themselves.

A free adult should be able to make their own risk decisions. We can't let government use fear of high health care costs to curtail this. What's next motorcycle helmets, bike helmets, ski helmets, jogging helmets, soccer helmets, dog walking helmets...

BTW I always wear my hemet, I feel naked without it. Once in awhile I take it off during bike week when stuck in traffic. It's my choice.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
nicole (11-17-2010)
Old 11-17-2010, 11:20 AM   #9
AC2717

TO focus on another part of the automobile helmet thing,
do you know that in MA when you get pulled over for a moving violation they start you off, if they are going to give you a ticket, with a $25 automatic donation as I like to call it, to the Head Tramua Fund, and then whatever you ticket would be
Old 11-17-2010, 11:23 AM   #10
John A. Birdsall

Default helmets

I have a problem getting in most cars nowadays. My head hits the roof as I get in. Put a helmet on and I won't be able to get in or sit in the front seat of the car. I think the mfg of cars ought to try to get into there cars, then maybe they would raise the roof.

I used to ride a motorcycle, and I wore a helmet. I felt safer with it on. I know here in CT they had a pappy's run annually, and when they tried to legislate a helmet law. They came out in force against it.

What they should legislate is roll bars in boats. So if they roll, they will roll back to right side up!
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:59 AM   #11
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A. Birdsall View Post
IWhat they should legislate is roll bars in boats. So if they roll, they will roll back to right side up!

Remember JOAN CLAYBROOK..? She was a past administrator of NHTSA some 30 years ago. She was a big advocate of the 55 mph National Speed Limit as well as "Botts Dots"..those little reflectors that were required to be embedded in the highway, along with the painted white lines, so you wouldn't run off the road at night.

One of her other proposals was "Roll Bars" for motorcycles. (Essentially a Full Roll Cage). I think seat belts were also required as part of that scheme. Fortunately, that one didn't get implemented. NB

PS: I believe JOAN is still lurking around in DC to this day.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:52 PM   #12
Wolfeboro_Baja

I do not own a bike and do not ride. If I did, I would probably wear a helmet (please note the proper spelling!) 50% of the time if not more.

I have a co-worker that has a strong opinion on the subject. He states that he has no problem with riders not wearing a helmet as long as they sign a statement that they are fully responsible for ALL medical care and will not have to resort to applying to Social Security or other forms of public assistance. Essentially, he doesn’t want to end up paying for someone’s healthcare because they chose not to wear a helmet and was involved in a crash that ultimately required expensive, long-term health care and they had no insurance to pay for it.

What do you riders think of that idea? I see his point, I’m just not sure that I agree with it.
Wolfeboro_Baja is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wolfeboro_Baja For This Useful Post:
Natt (11-18-2010)
Old 11-17-2010, 03:56 PM   #13
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfeboro_Baja View Post
I do not own a bike and do not ride. If I did, I would probably wear a helmet (please note the proper spelling!) 50% of the time if not more.

I have a co-worker that has a strong opinion on the subject. He states that he has no problem with riders not wearing a helmet as long as they sign a statement that they are fully responsible for ALL medical care and will not have to resort to applying to Social Security or other forms of public assistance. Essentially, he doesn’t want to end up paying for someone’s healthcare because they chose not to wear a helmet and was involved in a crash that ultimately required expensive, long-term health care and they had no insurance to pay for it.

What do you riders think of that idea? I see his point, I’m just not sure that I agree with it.
Well then again I ask, why not for automobile drivers since many many more of them would be saved by a helmet law...??

Dan
Old 11-17-2010, 05:05 PM   #14
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Well when I was single I wouldn't wear a helmet much unless driving to MA. But after getting involved and later married I started to wear one. The way I think about it is that you may not think you have a responsibility to keep yourself safe, But for my wife's sake I would prefer to at least try to stay alive in an accident so as not to leave her a widow...

You have to ask yourself...With so many states requiring a helmet, has anyone died because they had one on?

Last edited by Lakesrider; 11-17-2010 at 06:20 PM.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lakesrider For This Useful Post:
Natt (11-18-2010)
Old 11-17-2010, 05:29 PM   #15
Wolfeboro_Baja

Quote:
According to the NHTSA in 2003 there were 42,643 automobile deaths in the US. Of those deaths 90% were caused by head injuries.
Quote:
Well then again I ask, why not for automobile drivers since many many more of them would be saved by a helmet law...??

Dan
I'm not saying you don't have a valid point, it's just that there are extenuating circumstances to consider before requiring EVERYONE to wear a helmet.

Dan, regarding the statistic I quoted from your earlier post, how many of those 38,379 deaths (that's 90% of 42,643) were wearing their seat belts? And how many were in passenger cars vs. pick-ups vs. SUV's?

I know that passenger cars are required to meet a federal standard for strength in the roof area; it's supposed to be able to withstand/resist crushing in a roll-over accident (I don't know the exact requirement). Unless something changed over the years, pick-ups do not have to meet the same standard and I'm not sure about SUV's. So if they're in a car, they have a cheap version of a rollbar to help them survive (although it's nothing compared to a rollbar you'd see in NASCAR or NHRA Top Fuel or Funny Car drag racing).

It's presumed that if the occupants stay in the vehicle in a crash, they stand a better chance of survival. If they're not wearing a seatbelt, there's a very good chance they're bouncing around inside the vehicle and quite possibly being ejected from it depending on the severity of the crash. I'm certainly not an expert but in my opinion, from a survival standpoint, that's probably about as good as being in a crash on a motorcycle. In a car, pick-up or SUV, you've got something around you to absorb some of the impact instead of your body absorbing all of it, provided your body stays in the car. That's the whole point of seat belts but alot of people won't wear them unless required to by law and then there are those that won't wear them even if there's a law. The point is if more people wore seat belts, there would be fewer deaths so their logic continues that if more bike riders wore helmets, there would be fewer deaths or at least fewer cases of severe brain trauma.

Let me ask you, would you wear a helmet in a car? Would you wear it if it were required by law? Do you currently wear your seat belt?

Does anyone happen to know of statistics regarding voluntary helmet usage? I'm sure Lakesrider can't be the only person who thinks the way he does (see his comments above).

Wow, this got a LOT longer than I ever thought it would!
Old 11-17-2010, 06:09 PM   #16
Sal

If a nitwit gets his/her brain scrambled because he/she chose not to wear a helmet while cycling, it's his/her business.

However, I don't want to participate in defraying the medical expenses and ongoing expenses of living a disabled life for the nitwit. Nitwit should be self-insured for nitwit-try.

Helmets for car drivers is a red herring. How many bikes come with air-bags?

In keeping with the NH Motto, perhaps EMTs should be instructed to ... oh never mind.
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:36 PM   #17
Lakesrider

I'll tell you how it will go. They will make it a law to wear a helmet or lose federal highway funding. So this new helmet law will be a bi#$h to some people. You know....the tough guys...then in about two or three years everyone will be wearing them as a standard operating procedure and it will simply become something you do when you start your bike. You'll put on your helmet, and go for just as nice a ride as you used to before the helmet law. Just like the...tough guys...in MA and all those other helmet wearing States. Oh you can stomp you feet, swear and spit on the sidewalk, but the helmet law will be here someday. Better go out and buy that shiny new lid and break it in.....

People will adjust to it, just like the Lake speed limits, the toll booths, the roundabout in Meridith, the speed traps in Moultonborough, the upcoming NH State sales tax, (You know it is coming...) etc, etc, etc, etc, etc....We are Americans. We Adapt. It will not kill anyone to wear a helmet and possibly save your life someday. Maybe then you will thank that g@d da* politician that made you wear it....Just like seat belts. Seat belts that saved my life one day in 1999 when I hit a rock wall in my Chevy Malibu. Wish I would have been wearing a helmet that day too.

Well that is my sermon for the day. Taken from Lakesrider 3:16....

Last edited by Lakesrider; 11-17-2010 at 07:50 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lakesrider For This Useful Post:
Cobalt 25 (11-18-2010)
Old 11-17-2010, 06:41 PM   #18
ishoot308

Quote:
I'm not saying you don't have a valid point, it's just that there are extenuating circumstances to consider before requiring EVERYONE to wear a helmet.

Dan, regarding the statistic I quoted from your earlier post, how many of those 38,379 deaths (that's 90% of 42,643) were wearing their seat belts? And how many were in passenger cars vs. pick-ups vs. SUV's?

I know that passenger cars are required to meet a federal standard for strength in the roof area; it's supposed to be able to withstand/resist crushing in a roll-over accident (I don't know the exact requirement). Unless something changed over the years, pick-ups do not have to meet the same standard and I'm not sure about SUV's. So if they're in a car, they have a cheap version of a rollbar to help them survive (although it's nothing compared to a rollbar you'd see in NASCAR or NHRA Top Fuel or Funny Car drag racing).

It's presumed that if the occupants stay in the vehicle in a crash, they stand a better chance of survival. If they're not wearing a seatbelt, there's a very good chance they're bouncing around inside the vehicle and quite possibly being ejected from it depending on the severity of the crash. I'm certainly not an expert but in my opinion, from a survival standpoint, that's probably about as good as being in a crash on a motorcycle. In a car, pick-up or SUV, you've got something around you to absorb some of the impact instead of your body absorbing all of it, provided your body stays in the car. That's the whole point of seat belts but alot of people won't wear them unless required to by law and then there are those that won't wear them even if there's a law. The point is if more people wore seat belts, there would be fewer deaths so their logic continues that if more bike riders wore helmets, there would be fewer deaths or at least fewer cases of severe brain trauma.

Let me ask you, would you wear a helmet in a car? Would you wear it if it were required by law? Do you currently wear your seat belt?

Does anyone happen to know of statistics regarding voluntary helmet usage? I'm sure Lakesrider can't be the only person who thinks the way he does (see his comments above).

Wow, this got a LOT longer than I ever thought it would!
Would I wear a helmet in a car? No not for daily ordinary street and highway driving. Off road and race track or similar, yes I would.

Would I wear it in a car if required by law?? Well I certainly hope it would never get to that but if it did what choice would I have so I would be forced to say yes.

Do I wear my seat belt? 95% of the time. I have one vehicle that does not remind me with those annoying chimes to put it on so I occasionally forget when driving that vehicle. I wear it by choice not because I am forced to.

My point is it is clear fact that more lives would be saved if those driving autos wore helmets yet no one goes around trying to legislate it because it affects their "comfort" level. Its a double standard and total B.S. The argument about taxpayers paying for brain trauma and so on is also bogus as once again 10 times more head trauma comes from auto accidents than motorcycles.

I don't want or need the local or federal government to force their double sided safety standards on me. I do not need their help to protect me from myself.

Maybe we should outlaw rock climbing, down hill skiing and bob sled racing too after all those are dangerous sports and we don't want the taxpayers to have to pick up the pieces when an accident happens. Heck we might as well let the feds tell us what sports are safe and what's not. I having a feeling though we would all be playing touch nerf football!

Keep letting the feds get their foot in the door and soon they will be telling you how fast you can go in your boat on Winnipesaukee.... oh yeah, never mind...

Take care;

Dan
Old 11-17-2010, 07:34 PM   #19
NoBozo

It's funny how LIBERALS who are ALL FOR more Laws and Regulation then all of a sudden against ...more laws and regulations....OH Wait..that doesn't make sense.

BTW: I think there was a person who shall go unamed that needs to get a better spell checker..or maybe use the one they already have on their own posts. No offence intended. I have been guilty of mis spelling a word now and then.. NB
Old 11-17-2010, 10:32 PM   #20
Wolfeboro_Baja

Quote:
Would I wear a helmet in a car? No not for daily ordinary street and highway driving. Off road and race track or similar, yes I would.

Would I wear it in a car if required by law?? Well I certainly hope it would never get to that but if it did what choice would I have so I would be forced to say yes.

Do I wear my seat belt? 95% of the time. I have one vehicle that does not remind me with those annoying chimes to put it on so I occasionally forget when driving that vehicle. I wear it by choice not because I am forced to.

My point is it is clear fact that more lives would be saved if those driving autos wore helmets yet no one goes around trying to legislate it because it affects their "comfort" level. Its a double standard and total B.S. The argument about taxpayers paying for brain trauma and so on is also bogus as once again 10 times more head trauma comes from auto accidents than motorcycles.

I don't want or need the local or federal government to force their double sided safety standards on me. I do not need their help to protect me from myself.

Maybe we should outlaw rock climbing, down hill skiing and bob sled racing too after all those are dangerous sports and we don't want the taxpayers to have to pick up the pieces when an accident happens. Heck we might as well let the feds tell us what sports are safe and what's not. I having a feeling though we would all be playing touch nerf football!

Keep letting the feds get their foot in the door and soon they will be telling you how fast you can go in your boat on Winnipesaukee.... oh yeah, never mind...

Take care;

Dan
I agree with most everything you state here; I wasn't trying to argue with you.

One thing I'd like to point out; you suggest 10 times more head trauma comes from auto accidents than motorcycles (I'm not holding you to that number!) but could the reason for that be the fact that there are way more cars on the road than bikes? Wikipedia says there are 234,524,000 cars, pickups and SUVs on the road and 6,686,000 bikes. I think that more than explains the differential in head trauma between cars and bikes. Again, not trying to argue, just stating a fact.

For the record, I probably only wear my seat belt about 80% of the time. Of our 3 vehicles, only one beeps constantly until I buckle up. The second one just blinks a red light on the dash as a reminder (so that one's easy to ignore) and the third has an automatic shoulder belt but a manual lap belt which I rarely ever use. So my bad but I'm fine with it.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:07 PM   #21
ishoot308

Quote:
I agree with most everything you state here; I wasn't trying to argue with you.

One thing I'd like to point out; you suggest 10 times more head trauma comes from auto accidents than motorcycles (I'm not holding you to that number!) but could the reason for that be the fact that there are way more cars on the road than bikes? Wikipedia says there are 234,524,000 cars, pickups and SUVs on the road and 6,686,000 bikes. I think that more than explains the differential in head trauma between cars and bikes. Again, not trying to argue, just stating a fact.

For the record, I probably only wear my seat belt about 80% of the time. Of our 3 vehicles, only one beeps constantly until I buckle up. The second one just blinks a red light on the dash as a reminder (so that one's easy to ignore) and the third has an automatic shoulder belt but a manual lap belt which I rarely ever use. So my bad but I'm fine with it.
W.B;

I know you are not arguing and even if you were no big deal, it's healthy for good forum discussion.

Of course the reason there is 10 times more head trauma in autos is because there is a hell of a lot more cars on the roads than bikes. No disagreement there LOL.

I guess I should of stuck with simply more lives would be saved if auto drivers wore helmets than bike riders.

Every 13 seconds someone dies in an auto crash. I wonder how many people died in the amount of time it took me to type this post...

Dan
Old 11-18-2010, 06:28 AM   #22
ironhorsetim

Quote:
I would probably wear a helmet (please note the proper spelling!)
You are a true hero in my book.

Ernest Hemmingway
The Following User Says Thank You to ironhorsetim For This Useful Post:
Wolfeboro_Baja (11-18-2010)
Old 11-18-2010, 09:24 AM   #23
Woodsy

Quote:

I am pretty familiar with the why you should wear a helmet vs. why not. I have a family member who was brain injured (no helmet)!

There is one thing the helmetless do not know.... YOUR HEALTH INSURANCE WILL NOT COVER YOU!!! YOUR MOTORCYCLE INSURANCE WILL NOT COVER YOU!

If you go and read the fine print of your health insurance... (yes I know its worse than reading War & Peace) you will eventually find a clause that exempts the ins co from paying out ANY medical expenses on any head injury that occurs while driving a motorcycle or ATV without a helmet....

NO HELMET = NO COVERAGE!!

Woodsy

PS: Baja... I just used your quote because it was relevant! Def not a slam!

Last edited by Woodsy; 11-18-2010 at 10:14 AM.
Woodsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Woodsy For This Useful Post:
Cobalt 25 (11-18-2010)
Old 11-18-2010, 10:05 AM   #24
Wolfeboro_Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironhorsetim View Post
You are a true hero in my book.
Thanks, I think! You have no idea how hard I thought I was going to get slammed for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
I am pretty familiar with the why you should wear a helmet vs. why not. I have a family member who was brain injured (no helmet)!

There is one thing the helmetless do not know.... YOUR HEALTH INSURANCE WILL NOT COVER YOU!!! YOUR MOTORCYCLE INSURANCE WILL NOT COVER YOU!

If you go and read the fine print of your health insurance... (yes I know its worse than reading War & Peace) you will eventually find a clause that exempts the ins co from paying out ANY medical expenses on any head injury that occurs while driving a motorcycle or ATV without a helmet....

Woodsy
And there we have what it all boils down to!

On the flip side of that coin, I've often wondered has anyone ever been in an accident and had their helmet on, saving their brain, only to have a severe neck injury due to the added weight of the helmet? Wouldn't that be ironic?
Old 11-18-2010, 10:43 AM   #25
ironhorsetim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post

And boats will be next..I know all the drivers wear them in key west

Ernest Hemmingway
Old 11-18-2010, 11:19 AM   #26
SIKSUKR

Having had friends that lost their son at Laconia this past MC week after a crash w/o a helmet, Im not convinced it would have helped him at all in this case. Having said that, I always use one while mountain biking. Now to skiing. I never wanted to wear one skiing until Sonny Bono's death made me think about it. Besides, myself and the guys I ski with are hi speed skiers. I tried one and didn't like the the difference in hearing. Anyway, I wear it at all times now and would never go out without it now. Having said that also, I would never want it to be manditory. It's my choice and because I choose to does not mean others should have to, period!

Last edited by SIKSUKR; 11-19-2010 at 01:11 PM.
SIKSUKR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SIKSUKR For This Useful Post:
nicole (11-18-2010)
Old 11-18-2010, 01:39 PM   #27
fatlazyless

Helmets for skiing and ice skating (ice hockey helmets) are very expensive. There's no law that says you cannot just wear an all-purpose $16.99 bicycle helmet from Wallyworld with a ski hat underneath, plus it's a good conversation opener in the lift line. "Like hey there, what a dorkey looking helmet you are wearing, like isn't that thing just a bicycle helmet!" And voila.....you automatically have something new to argue about ..... !

Last June 2009 while riding a bicycle, I managed to catch the front wheel in a crack in the asphalt road and smacked my forehead on an asphalt sidewalk curb while trying to reread the notice about a nearby yard sale that was attached to a telephone pole, and through my own dumb luck, was wearing a bicycle helmet at the time, which did get a small crack from the impact. After about five days of minor headaches and taking some tylenol, and NEVER going to see a doctor, the symptoms disappeared and all was well. Nice thing about the human anatomy, it is automatically self-repairing .... ....if just left to heal with a little time! I just said to myself: "Head - go fix yourself, because going to see some doctor is just too expensive!"
Old 11-18-2010, 02:08 PM   #28
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
.... After about five days of minor headaches and taking some tylenol, and NEVER going to see a doctor, the symptoms disappeared and all was well. ......"

Can't do it, just too easy to be sporting........
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:54 PM   #29
fpartri497

Default Fll

oh go ahead Its just too inviting

Old 11-18-2010, 03:36 PM   #30
Cobalt 25

There are so many posts here that are just so nonsensical it's hard to know where to begin.

A life member of the American Motorcycling Association, I've been riding motorcycles since 1965. (Motorcycles are ridden, not driven.) Two years ago my son crashed his motorcycle and would have had severe head injuries had it not been for his helmet.

Two things come to mind when reading this thread. One is that there seems to be the mentality that the gummint is intruding in my life, I'm mad as hell, and I ain't gonna take it no more. Is crying and whining about policies that help to improve the overall quality of life all that helpful? Are you really egocentric enough to think 47 or so states with helmet laws are wrong and NH is right? Who, in the long run, pays to treat uninsured motorcycle-related head injuries? Like it or not, we do.

The other point I see, as mentioned above, is the tough guy approach. I'm a bad a## and I don't wear no stinkin' helmet. Many say they wear a helmet MOST of the time. I wonder how many riders receiving head injuries told the EMTs, if they were still alive, "I usually wear a helmet!". The tough guy argument cannot move forward with common sense.

Sometimes we need laws to save us from ourselves. I believe this is one of those situations.

Peter
Cobalt 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cobalt 25 For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (11-18-2010)
Old 11-18-2010, 06:37 PM   #31
Lakepilot

I've seen a lot of data that is incorrect.

There are 20 states that require everyone to wear a helmet. There are 2 states that don't require anyone to wear a helmet and the rest of the states are in the middle.

http://www.bikersrights.com/states/50state.html
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 07:00 PM   #32
secondcurve

Quote:

Dan
I think you need to look at this on a percentage basis to make an apples to apples comparison. If you did this, it would be obvious that head injuries on motorcycles occur at an exponential rate when compared to head injuries caused by car crashes.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 07:09 PM   #33
Lakesrider

One thing I forgot to mention is that I believe I have seen more riders wearing helmets this year. I actually like to watch to see who and who does not wear them. I also believe the riders ages are getting older. I don't see as many young kids riding as I used to. Possibly the cost of a Harley keeps the younger folks off of the bikes? Anyway I noticed this year many more people with brain buckets on. Maybe this is a good thing. Now, I sold my Bike this year so I have no right to say people should or shouldn't wear one anymore, but I will get another bike someday. Just as soon as I know my heart is not going to crap out on me........and I will wear my helmet...usually, and I will make my wife wear hers while she is riding with me.

Did I spell everything correctly?
Old 11-18-2010, 07:24 PM   #34
NoBozo

I'll tell you one thing about this thread...NOW I know how to SPELL Helmit... NB
Old 11-18-2010, 08:26 PM   #35
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
Can't do it, just too easy to be sporting........
But it WAS tempting.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:29 PM   #36
secondcurve

I guess it is debatable whether a rider should or shouldn't wear a helmet while riding a motorcycle in the state of NH. However, one thing that shouldn't be debatable is whether a passenger should wear a helmet. I don't know how many times I have seen guys driving a bike with their girl friends/wives hanging off the back without a helmet. This certainly should be a criminal act in my estimation.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:56 PM   #37
Natt

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
I guess it is debatable whether a rider should or shouldn't wear a helmet while riding a motorcycle in the state of NH. However, one thing that shouldn't be debatable is whether a passenger should wear a helmet. I don't know how many times I have seen guys driving a bike with their girl friends/wives hanging off the back without a helmet. This certainly should be a criminal act in my estimation.
If you're a big enough nitwit not to wear a helmet on a bike or a seat belt in a car let it be so. But if you are injured in an accident let it be that your insurance be null and void and government help be voided. You take the risk you pay the price, not the premium payers or the tax payers.
Natt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Natt For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (11-19-2010), Winni P (11-27-2010)
Old 11-19-2010, 07:45 AM   #38
Belmont Resident

Default FYI maine also has no helmet law.

I'm all for it on snowmobiles, motorcycles and ATV's.
I could give 2 $#it’s about the victim if they are not wearing one.
I feel for those who have to drag their ass out on a holiday to pick up the pieces.

On another note, NH is again considering moving the tolls from Bedford to Nashua.
That should have been done a long time ago.
The reasoning is that the state will be loosing millions with the new bypass directly to the airport.
My question is why not just put a toll on the bypass?

Last edited by Belmont Resident; 11-19-2010 at 07:52 AM. Reason: more comments
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 08:20 AM   #39
Happy Gourmand

Default 16.99 Helmet

If you have a 16.99 brain, then a 16.99 helmet will do just fine!!
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:59 AM   #40
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
If you have a 16.99 brain, then a 16.99 helmet will do just fine!!
...ok...so if I have a $396 full-face Shoei and decide to remove it after crossing from Mass into NH....what's the message there? ......it's.....Welcome to New Hampshire....the LIVE FREE or DIE state......and furthermore....it's not an empty helmet.....it's my personal freedom....Live Free or Die! ..

...say hey....no surprise that a 16.99 helmet goes a long way for safety on a bicycle, snow skis, ice skates or tennis court.....

...dumb question of the day.....what's better? ....wearing a $16.99 helmet or not wearing a $396 helmet...? dumb answer of the day ....if I decide not to wear it, that's my problem!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 11-19-2010 at 12:47 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatlazyless For This Useful Post:
RailroadJoe (11-19-2010)
Old 11-19-2010, 10:49 PM   #41
hancoveguy

I am throwing a b/s flag on the play. If I am up to date on my insurance and not legally required to wear a helmet, ie in NH or ME etc, the insurance WILL be covering me regardless of how stupid I am...Scoured the policy and nowhere does add an overly restrictive clause that punishes for adhering to the law of the state I am traveling in. Same goes for seatbelts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fully paid policy = coverage!

Exception- Military personnel. While on active duty, regardless of a states helmet law/seatbelt law, the military member is in violation of the UCMJ and will void their Gov't guaranteed life insurance. FYI- the military also requires a road guard vest (orange flag man's vest) as well while riding a motor cycle on or off base.

One little known advantage of a state that has a helmet law. Motorcycle theft is exponentially lower. Who carries a helmet just in case they wanna steal a bike? Who can get very far on a stolen bike with no helmet?

No opinion on the helmet law. If there is a law, I wear the DOT certified helmet. If there is no law, I wear said helmet 75-85% of the time.

Seatbelt law- I WILL not wear a seatbelt.

HCG
P.s.
I practice what I preach, as a police officer, I have never and will never issue a seatbelt ticket. But... I will ticket and tow a bike for no helmet or a blatant non-DOT helmet.
hancoveguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hancoveguy For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (11-20-2010), RailroadJoe (11-20-2010)
Old 11-20-2010, 12:11 AM   #42
trfour

Default The Gift Of Life, You Decide...

I had stored my 750 SS four Cylinder Super Sport and tuned, in Nashua for the winter. Picked it up in the spring and was on my way home on route three south. I got one of those looks in the rear view mirrors that said to me that someone behind me was speeding, closing fast, and in a defensive move I chose to get over into the breakdown lane to keep from being hit or overrun from behind. Well when I got into the breakdown lane, it was frozen with snow still covering the guardrails that would melt during the day and freeze during the evening. I was waring a DOT approved full faced helmet that very likely saved my life this day. It cracked on impact with my head hitting the roadway, along with many fractured ribs that I didn't find out about until I visited my doctor about a week later after reaching down behind my stereo to hook up some more speakers when I heard a crack and got some more pain.

Live Free Or Die is cool, just be alive.

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 01:45 PM   #43
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by hancoveguy View Post
I am throwing a b/s flag on the play. If I am up to date on my insurance and not legally required to wear a helmet, ie in NH or ME etc, the insurance WILL be covering me regardless of how stupid I am...Scoured the policy and nowhere does add an overly restrictive clause that punishes for adhering to the law of the state I am traveling in. Same goes for seatbelts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fully paid policy = coverage!

Exception- Military personnel. While on active duty, regardless of a states helmet law/seatbelt law, the military member is in violation of the UCMJ and will void their Gov't guaranteed life insurance. FYI- the military also requires a road guard vest (orange flag man's vest) as well while riding a motor cycle on or off base.

One little known advantage of a state that has a helmet law. Motorcycle theft is exponentially lower. Who carries a helmet just in case they wanna steal a bike? Who can get very far on a stolen bike with no helmet?

No opinion on the helmet law. If there is a law, I wear the DOT certified helmet. If there is no law, I wear said helmet 75-85% of the time.

Seatbelt law- I WILL not wear a seatbelt.

HCG
P.s.
I practice what I preach, as a police officer, I have never and will never issue a seatbelt ticket. But... I will ticket and tow a bike for no helmet or a blatant non-DOT helmet.
Hancoveguy;

Great honest reply! I am curious however, being a Police officer (thank you for your service!) in Massachusetts, what is it about seat belts you dislike, the forced law or do you not agree about the safety factor they supposedly provide.

Thanks!!

Dan
Old 11-20-2010, 02:07 PM   #44
RailroadJoe

Not my remark, but, me I do not like the FORCED law telling me what to do to save my life.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:20 PM   #45
hancoveguy

I cannot dispute the safety factor whatsoever. I just don't think that it makes that much difference that it would/should warrant a law that the people of the commonwealth have voted down atleast twice. Cars are built so much better than in days gone by. I responded to a head on crash between 2 Nissan Pathfinders. Directly head on at 40 mph, front and side curatin airbags deployed, one wearing a seatbelt and one not. On arrival both driver's were outside exchanging paperwork and joking around. So, yes I think seatbelts are a good idea, but no they shouldn't force anyone to wear one.

Additionally, the people of Mass have repeatedly voted the law down and will still not allow the legislature to make it primary enforcement (police can stop for not wearing seatbelt with no other violation). Yet, our esteemed law makers, because they wanted the federal highway safety money, continued to vote the law in. If they cared about the safety of the motoring public they would strengthen the existing OUI laws but they don't, they just want the seatbelt law so they can get the federal money.

Anyway, .02 more cents from me,
HCG
The Following User Says Thank You to hancoveguy For This Useful Post:
RailroadJoe (11-20-2010)
Old 11-20-2010, 02:28 PM   #46
hancoveguy

Quote:
Hancoveguy;

being a Police officer (thank you for your service!) in Massachusetts,

Dan
Oh yeah, almost forgot. My service is absolutely my pleasure, I am glad to do it. Thank you for your appreciation.

HCG
Old 11-20-2010, 09:15 PM   #47
Cobalt 25

hancoveguy,

I'm confused. You say, "If they cared about the safety of the motoring public they would strengthen the existing OUI laws but they don't, ..." in reference to the state legislature. It would seem as though you are dissing the lawmakers for not caring about the safety of the motoring public, right?

Yet, you refuse to wear a seatbelt, even though you say that in your experience you think they are a good idea. You care about your own safety and the people riding with you, right? If you get into an accident, wouldn't you want to be in a position to help your loved ones/passengers if they were hurt? Wouldn't your chances of being able to help them increase if you were wearing a seat belt?

In my opinion, you are respected as a police officer and should think about setting a more positive example, at least in a public forum.

Peter
Cobalt 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:51 AM   #48
hancoveguy

Cobalt,
You make some very good points, some I can't argue with and I am wrong about. I respect your opinion and conceed that on its face, most of what you said is logical, however, in my vehicle, I make the decisions as to what safety precautions are taken, not the government. I trust my judgement and ability to avoid tragedy over someone elses.

As to OUI regulations...an intoxicated driver loses the ability (and the right) to make good decisions and, while they may have the best of intentions, are not able to exercise good judgement, coordination or the divided attention required to safely operate an automobile. Therefore it is impossible to take reasonable precautions and avoid situations an otherwise sober, responsible adult can handle.

Just another dose of my unsolicited opinion,
HCG
The Following User Says Thank You to hancoveguy For This Useful Post:
RailroadJoe (11-21-2010)
Old 11-21-2010, 10:27 AM   #49
no-engine

Default What's the message here?

I have been legally driving for over 40 years. For a while, I'd use trail bikes (motorcycles, knobby tires & the works) on logging roads and similar places, and better believe that we used helmets! We did not use shin guards and such. However, also when we were on the conventional roads we maintained our helmets! Safety!
Then, better believe I had a bike as a kid, but I started bicycling with a hybrid bike; better believe I wear a helmet. I bike the paths beside railroad tracks, dirt roads and other not so frequented paved roads.

I remember when seat belts came in to being in cars and I started using them, even though not mandated; my mother started to follow idea. Why sit on them, so we used them!

I've been downhill skiing for over 50 years, and was so reckless back originally. Society started promoting helmets in ski schools and patrol people; I concluded and started wearing a helmet. I was standing on edge of a ski trail, and recklessly crashed in to about six years ago. If I was not wearing helmet, I would likely have severe head injury as my helmet hit my skis in the fall!
Even spring skiing, once I took one run w/o helmet, and I felt so uncomfortable, and went to my car to exchange baseball hat for helmet.

A good friend on his large motorcycle was traveling about 35mph, and a dog came out on road in front of him in a crash; he went over, and was seriously injured; without helmet, his injuries would have been far worse.

We take the appropriate life jackets & safety gear when we are out boating. Was taught safety and courtesy by my elders.

I started using earpiece while driving with mobile phone long ago, but will never initiate a call unless a necessity. It's very unfortunate that we see so many law enforcement people driving with phone to their ear! That's another thread!

Helmets and seat belts when installed! Use is a no brainer, literally. However, if one chooses to not use safety products, so be it. Where'd he/she learn common sense?
no-engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:36 AM   #50
ApS

Question RISK Your NECK...?

Quote:
About half of vehicles on the roads today are SUVs, and SUVs have a "roll-over" problem. Even our ever-present Armco barriers aren't built high enough to prevent an SUV from completely rolling over them!

Airbags don't help, and too many drivers aren't wearing their seatbelts. This will expose a SUV "rollover victim" to cervical fracture, a common—and too-frequent—fatal result.

A helmet, which is designed to protect one's brain against objects of steel, oak, asphalt or granite, would subject an unbelted driver to an even-greater risk of fatal cervical fracture.

Quote:
I ride and wear a helmet, not all the time but many times and anyone would be an idiot to say that helmets do not help in low speed crashes. However I feel that is my decision whether to wear one or not and not the governments. I am sick of "big brother" trying to save me from myself. When does government intervention end??...Dan
A helmet for bikers is the definition for "Common Sense".
IMNSHO
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:22 AM   #51
ishoot308

Default Please Save Us From Ourselves!!

Here ya go, it never ends... Helmets for sledders now!!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40479252...and_parenting/
Old 12-04-2010, 09:07 AM   #52
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

This is just plain stupid. It absolutely amazes me with all the problems going on in this world, in this country the idiots in DC are more fascinated with passing nation wide helmet laws than dealing with critical matter of state. What the hell is going on in this country anyways? You aren't going to have to worry about riding around with or without a helmet on if this country ceases to exist because of the ineptitude of our so called "enlightened" elected leaders.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (12-04-2010), RailroadJoe (12-04-2010)
Old 12-04-2010, 10:08 AM   #53
RailroadJoe

How about a law that shoes are required at all times to prevent injury to the toes and feet. How many people stub their toe when at the beach? Lets stop paying those pediatricians all that money. Think healty feet.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:31 PM   #54
Lucky1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post

So just wondering. After someone is in a terrible accident and has severe brain damage and spends the rest of his or her life on machines looking at the ceiling, would that be COOL or NOT COOL?
Lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote