Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2011, 04:50 PM   #1
Grove84

Default Canoe in Center Harbor

I have always wanted to travel to center harbor early in the evening for dinner at canoe with my family, as we have dined at the O many times and want to experience Canoe. I will be up the week of 7/4 and was wondering have others traveled via boat to canoe, and if so what was your experience navigating there , the canoe shuttle, etc...thanks in advance for the feedback
Grove84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:02 AM   #2
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts
Default They Will Pick You Up

I have dined there several times. We always go by boat and the shuttle comes right to the dock for pick up and return whenever you are ready.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:46 PM   #3
MikeF-NH

Try their "dinner" sized Seafood chowder and bring you appetite...it's the only thing you will eat. It is excellent!
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:17 PM   #4
Phantom

If I understood the other part of Grove's question, it was how was it to navigate to Center Harbor

First, it all depends on your personal level of comfort driving at dusk / dark on the Lake

Second, a lot of it depends on where you will be coming from / returning to

although the route is not all THAT difficult, there are some markers to contend with (again depending upon your direction of travel)

With that said, the experiance is in the boat ride for our family, then again I have no issues navigating 85% of the Lake in the dark -- there are still some areas however that after 20 years I am not completely comfortable navigating in the BLACK.

If your timid about the ride -- remeber they also serve an AWESOME lunch!
Old 06-27-2011, 01:42 PM   #5
Grove84

Thank you all for the great feedback, it would have been helpful if I stated where I am navigating from.

I will be coming out of Paugus Bay via Weirs Channel. We have been on the lake many times at night, but I prefer to be on the return trip at dusk so I get to see the sunset while in PB. We store the boat at PB Marina. I am interested to hear about the markers to watch for as it is always helpful to learn from others
Grove84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2011, 04:58 PM   #6
sa meredith

Default me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grove84 View Post
Thank you all for the great feedback, it would have been helpful if I stated where I am navigating from.

I will be coming out of Paugus Bay via Weirs Channel. We have been on the lake many times at night, but I prefer to be on the return trip at dusk so I get to see the sunset while in PB. We store the boat at PB Marina. I am interested to hear about the markers to watch for as it is always helpful to learn from others
I, too, am at PBM. And make the trek to Center Harbor a few times a year. A few markers to be careful of on the way in. On the way out, at night, be careful for Becky's Garden ( I think that is what it is called) Can sneak up on you. Why she decided to live and grow a gardan out there in that tiny place is beyond me.
I run with no GPS...just old fashioned chart and compass, and have never had any type of issue over there.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:16 AM   #7
spider22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grove84 View Post

I can understand why you want to try the canoe experience. I have been there once with my family and it was and enjoyable meal. I was wondering if you tried Fratello's yet.
spider22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:30 AM   #8
Greene's Basin Girl

I think Canoe is very overrated. I eat there about every 6 months and it always just OK. Every time I go I hope the food will improve, but it never does. They often try to sit us at a terrible table with benches. Forget it--it's awful!!! I don't understand why they do that because there is always plenty of other tables available. They should use that table only when there isn't any other tables available in the entire restaurant.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:17 AM   #9
upnorth

Default Table Seating Selection

While I agree and it drives me nuts when the host/hostess tries to seat us at a table I don't like, I simply say, "can we sit over there...". Never had a problem since and I would be completely shocked if Canoe or any other resteraunt would not accomodate. Life's too short to have a bad dinner experience -- or flat tonic in a G&T in an effort to use the remaining half bottle...

Disagree about the food -- we had only one not so exceptional food experience, but have been back many times and it's very good.
upnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:17 PM   #10
Just Sold

Unhappy Average Food & Bad Dishes

The last time we went to the Canoe the food was good but nothing to get excited about. Service was only OK and not great.

What really got me was the plate my meal was served on was chipped, an obvious big chip on the rim. That plate should have never been plated in the kitchen or been placed in front of me. So we have not had a reason to return and I doubt that we will.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:10 AM   #11
GonetotheLake

Lightbulb

Sad to hear they're slipping. Maybe stretched too thin with 4 restaurants? North End last night was excellent - too bad no one even knows it exists. Maybe it's time they hire some marketing people and the owners can focus more on the quality of food/service. two birds, one stone!
GonetotheLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:22 AM   #12
Greene's Basin Girl

Many of us know that the North End exists. The problem is that te food and service have been lousy since they opened. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed it. Maybe it is time to try it again.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:08 AM   #13
natureboy79

I agree basin girl, Friday night was the first time I have seen more than 5 or 6 cars in the parking lot on a weekend.Time for another try......
natureboy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:40 AM   #14
GonetotheLake

Thumbs up

I was in the same boat as you basin girl and natureboy. Seems like it's different in there now.

Last night was great again. No risotto , but had the cacciatore special. Could be the best cacciatore i've ever had. Wife had pasta with meatballs - biggest meatballs i've ever seen. In-laws practically inhaled the ravioli special and fish n chips. And we couldnt pass up on the chocolate mouse. Thumbs up yet again.
GonetotheLake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GonetotheLake For This Useful Post:
natureboy79 (07-04-2011)
Old 07-03-2011, 11:13 AM   #15
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonetotheLake View Post
I was in the same boat as you basin girl and natureboy. Seems like it's different in there now.

Last night was great again. No risotto , but had the cacciatore special. Could be the best cacciatore i've ever had. Wife had pasta with meatballs - biggest meatballs i've ever seen. In-laws practically inhaled the ravioli special and fish n chips. And we couldnt pass up on the chocolate mouse. Thumbs up yet again.
I have heard they did some menu and prep improvements- tried to go there this past Wed but they were closed.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:22 AM   #16
Shore Driver

Went to Canoe over the holiday weekend and had a nice time. A scallops app, calimari, and a pork tenderloin which were all very tasty.

Even lucked out on the parking! Arrived at 7 sharp and it seemed to be a soft spot between the early and late dinner crowds there. Place was mobbed as always.
Shore Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:27 PM   #17
kayleigh

THe Canoe was very good. I love the bread in a brown paper bag...and if you go to the O you get your bread in a white paper bag. cute idea
kayleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:26 PM   #18
Loony Singer

Default lunch @ Canoe

went to Canoe for a family luncheon over Thanksgiving weekend. It was clear that the waitstaff was stretched too thin (though the place wasn't full). It took 20 minutes before our server was even able to take our drink orders, and we were at the table for close to an hour before our meals showed up. Then I recalled having similar service problems at lunchtime a couple of times in the past.

As for the food, it was tasty and enjoyable...except for those who ordered the famous lobster mac & cheese. All agreed that they definitely skimped on the lobster.

Disappointing, since some of our group had never been there before and had come along on our recommendation.
Loony Singer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:43 PM   #19
Belmont Resident

Default What size did you order loony singer?

We went to O’s a few weeks ago with friends. I opted to order the largest Lobster Mac & cheese they had. It was packed with lobster. Now take the same meal and only order one of the smaller lobster options and it definitely could seem like the lobster is lost especially if served with the same amount of mac & cheese.
I honestly made 3 meals out of mine. I’m not sure if it was 1 or 2 pounds of lobster.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:38 PM   #20
VitaBene

Canoe is a great restaurant, we are lucky to have them!

You can order the Lobster Mac in three lobster quantities (there is no more pasta). From their site:
Try our Lobster Mac & Cheese! Order it with 1/4 lb, 1/2 lb or 1 lb of fresh lobster meat! Feeling adventurous? Try our Surf & Turf Mac & Cheese with Prime Cuts of Filet and NY Strip Tossed w/ Lobster. All of these can be purchased at Canoe and O Steaks and Seafood!
Old 11-29-2011, 10:55 PM   #21
Bigstan

Default Lobster Mac

I never did get the concept of Lobster Mac &Cheese....one just overpowers the other, or so I think. The menu states that you are shelling out $22/$32/$42 for .25/.5/1lb of Lobster in your Mac and Chee. Seems like for the dollar you can do better for yourself, but if that is your thing then more power to you.

On the other hand, the short ribs are incredible, and at a fraction of the price of a good size Lobster Mac I will have them every time (maybe with a small lobster bisque just to tide me over). The Cioppino is great too, those are the only three things I've ever had there, and I have had no reason to try anyting else.

No matter what you choose, never a bad meal.....
Bigstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:35 PM   #22
Loony Singer

Default only one choice...

There is only one option for lobster mac & cheese available for lunch, at $12. The amount of lobster isn't specified on the menu. Guess ya get what ya pay for, given the price of lobster at restaurants.
Loony Singer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:02 PM   #23
hilltopper

Personally a big fan of the lobster ravioli. I've had one below average meal there when I strayed away from the aforementioned ravioli.
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:21 AM   #24
Liquorish

Been to Canoe many times , always in the summer. Have found the food to be ok, and the service usually very slow. On the other hand, we love going to O, food and service always top notch. I know they are owned by the same people. O just always seems to get it right, when Canoe can struggle.
Liquorish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:35 PM   #25
MDoug

Default Canoe

We still miss the old Chequer's, especially the main floor dining room for a good lunch at a reasonable price. The last few times at Canoe we had to sit in the bar area for lunch, TV on, etc.
MDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:46 PM   #26
Jeanzb1

Smile O's is NUMBER ONE!

We were fortunate enough to receive a gift certificate from our neighbors to O's in Laconia and we used it in late September. Holey Moley, was it ever GOOD!
A unique menu, gorgeous presentation of delicious food, big portions, great service. By far, O's is the best place we have eaten in the Lakes Region! We will definitely be customers again when we return in late April!
Jeanzb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:22 PM   #27
beaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquorish View Post
Been to Canoe many times , always in the summer. Have found the food to be ok, and the service usually very slow. On the other hand, we love going to O, food and service always top notch. I know they are owned by the same people. O just always seems to get it right, when Canoe can struggle.
We've had similar experiences at both places. We won't go back to Canoe, but we love O. Go figure?!
beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:35 AM   #28
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaner View Post
We've had similar experiences at both places. We won't go back to Canoe, but we love O. Go figure?!
Same here, Canoe is O.K., O's is GREAT!!
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 01:01 PM   #29
topwater

One other MAJOR difference between the two is, after you have a few cocktails, from the Canoe you probably will be driving your BOAT, and from O's you probably will be driving your CAR.
topwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 02:36 PM   #30
Irish mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDoug View Post
We still miss the old Chequer's, especially the main floor dining room for a good lunch at a reasonable price. The last few times at Canoe we had to sit in the bar area for lunch, TV on, etc.
You took the words right out of my mouth.....Chequer's Loved that place. Remember the $7 all-you-can-eat pizza at lunch time !
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:47 AM   #31
Greene's Basin Girl

Does anyone remember when Longwood's was there?
Old 12-11-2011, 07:15 AM   #32
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

I do. How old does that make us???
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:42 AM   #33
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Lots of great memories from the "Lomgwood Farms Restaurant"......guess that dates me, too, GB Girl.
It's still the same building, but was renovated by Dick Flynn and then a more extensive renovation when Canoe took over.
Used to be a beautiful view of the bay and Red Hill until they planted all the walnut trees below.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:25 AM   #34
GB Boater

Default Longwood Farms

I seem to remember working a couple of summers at Longwoods in the kitchen and the ice cream boat.
GB Boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:52 PM   #35
MDoug

Default Canoe & Chequers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish mist View Post
You took the words right out of my mouth.....Chequer's Loved that place. Remember the $7 all-you-can-eat pizza at lunch time !
We used to go to Chequer's for our birthday luncheons. Without fail, the wait staff brought cake after the meal and sang Happy Birthday to us.
MDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:55 PM   #36
Pine Island Guy

Default me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB Boater View Post
I seem to remember working a couple of summers at Longwoods in the kitchen and the ice cream boat.
Not sure when you were there, but I washed dishes for Rick Tower there the summer of '73... 3pm to 11pm, what a great time! Believe it or not, was cleaning out a box from the attic last week, and came across my pay-stubs and w2 from that summer... $1.65/hour... i was riding high!!

think ice! -PIG
Pine Island Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pine Island Guy For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (12-12-2011), Redwing (12-11-2011)
Old 12-11-2011, 06:21 PM   #37
Pineedles

We used to watch the Longwood cows taking a dip in the shallows of half mile island before they became environmental hazards.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:21 PM   #38
Rattlesnake Guy

We remember going to Longwood during the summer of 86 when we rented a place in Meridith. We enjoyed it. But we love the Canoe?
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:04 AM   #39
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
We used to watch the Longwood cows taking a dip in the shallows of half mile island before they became environmental hazards.
I certainly remember the cows taking a dip also. Nobody at the time cared. Everyone still went swimming at Center Harbor beach and didn't worry about the cows at all. Most of the teenage guys were looking at the girls and the girls were looking at the guys. The cows didn't cross anyone's mind at the time. Oh yah!!! Those lazy hazy crazy days of summertime's past.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:01 AM   #40
jkjoshuatree

Default Rattlesnake Guy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Guy View Post
We remember going to Longwood during the summer of 86 when we rented a place in Meridith. We enjoyed it. But we love the Canoe?
Are you not sure if you love Canoe? Are you asking us?

I bet you love it.

Sorry...couldn't resist.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:20 PM   #41
Rattlesnake Guy

Default ?

Must have been FFS.
Fat finger syndrome.
I am usually so darn happy to have most of the words spelled correctly.

To be honest, I was thinking about the sweet potato fries, meatloaf and mac and cheese.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rattlesnake Guy For This Useful Post:
jkjoshuatree (12-12-2011)
Old 12-13-2011, 10:39 PM   #42
VitaBene

We have 60 plus heading there Sat night for the Mboro snomo club party!
Old 12-14-2011, 05:58 AM   #43
Formula

Default Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
We have 60 plus heading there Sat night for the Mboro snomo club party!
I wish I could have made it!
Have fun
Formula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:11 AM   #44
dpg

VitaBene - Report back how it went, sounds like the ultimate test.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:28 AM   #45
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
Here are some PICS from Boardwalk Bluesboy

and one from Picassa

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (12-14-2011), Pineedles (12-14-2011)
Old 12-14-2011, 09:18 AM   #46
Pineedles

The picture mcdude posted was taken from the hill across the street from Longwood, where today Belgium Belted galloways now graze.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:04 PM   #47
Misty Blue

Default Fun Story...

One of my daughters was a hostess at Canoe. She had the Sunday afternoon/evening shift.

We were heading back from church and we were going to drop her off for work when she, in a panic, said "I can't go to work in these shoes! They don't allow open toe shoes for the staff!"

To which my wife, Deb, with an eye roll said..."Well, you can't wear closed toe shoes with that skirt!

Yup. I must be from Mars!

Misty Blue
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote