Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2006, 06:06 AM   #1
ApS

Exclamation

Owned by one person in its entirety since WWII, Johnson's Cove is a clear, cold, murky — but historic — site. Large wetlands drain into it through several streams, with the greatest flow in Spring. All those brooks may now be increasing their flow due to extensive pine tree "trimming".

Johnson's Cove appears as "Ike's Cove" on some charts. Could it have been named for an Ike Johnson? Unknown here....

The former owner's name was the late Brad Frankum of Massachusetts, said to have been a WWII "Daddy Warbucks". His "Shadowbrook" residence is that dark, foreboding and gloomy dark house adjacent to the east. It is not unusual to see deer drinking from the lake in the middle of the day there. Except for the signs that say "Keep Out", Frankum allowed Johnson's Cove to "go natural". (For the most part, much of neighboring Camp Wyanoke did too).

Two beaver lodges were built there starting about 20 years ago. Beavers are seen every year in the neighborhood, but the lodges themselves have not been well maintained. It's possible that they are being systematically trapped and/or that their food-trees are being "trimmed" too enthusiastically by the new owner.

Brad Frankum, who died in his 90's, was the owner of the wooden Cris Craft "Sea Witch", whose mass exploits on weekend nights I've recounted elsewhere on this Forum. To my knowledge, he never wrecked it. He kept a 22-foot wooden steamer as well, secured at his 50-foot dock. (It was that red-colored dock that floated away one spring, and which presence I warned of here at the Forum. It was not rebuilt or replaced).

You'll recall that "trees were trimmed" there last winter? Developers started bulldozing on the steep, unbuildable, side...starting this New Year's Day!. So it looks like this history will have to be built up -- going backwards!

There may even be some politics involved of late. Remember the "No-Rafting" bill that went nowhere last year? Think Johnson's Cove. Just one lot is for sale there for 4½ million bucks. (Not that legislation could be affected by such considerations).

I hope we can collect some "before" photographs of Johnson's Cove here before it's too late. My sole contribution is currently in 35mm slide form and, when converted to a digital photograph, will probably be the first photograph ever taken there to appear here.

Anyway, I'll bet even McDude doesn't have a postcard or photograph of the first, pre-war commercial structure built there. Ooops...probably shouldn't have written that -- I'll bet he does!

Anyone got photos/aerials of -- or in -- Johnson's Cove? That "Mecca" for rafters?

Old 06-07-2015, 06:45 AM   #2
BIMaildock

Default Johnson cove

Would you like a picture of the boat you mention in your interesting overview of Johnson cove and meadow brook home. Are you aware of who now owns the property?
BIMaildock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:56 AM   #3
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Here is a photo that "Acres Per Second" previously posted of the sawmill in Johnson's Cove with the following caption "The sawmill in Johnson's Cove that last saw some major cutting action after the 1938 Hurricane. (One very cranky owner!)" and Camp Guy responds "
In 1938, and until 1978, my family owned the land adjacent to Johnson's Cove, and, following the hurricane of 1938, we had thousands and thousands of board feet of lumber cut at this mill from trees that were blown down on our property as a result of the hurricane. I spent many hours "exploring" the mill and watching its deterioration. This picture is truly a picture of history." and APS responds, "
Some time in the 1980's, the sawmill was intentionally demolished. Perhaps, so the new home sites uphill would get a better view of rafters? In the background, a silvery dead tree leans into the upper-center of the photo. It just occurred to me that Johnson's Cove had been home to two colonies of "Bank Beavers", who did their own variety of "clear-cutting". From miles around, they returned to Johnson's Cove carrying large pieces of their "harvest" past my dock. After a neighbor's Northern Ash got severely chewed-up, I wrapped heavy metal fencing around my most desirable lakefront trees. Starting in the late 90's, developers removed the evidence of the "Bank Beavers" two huge mounds there. (Mounds about 20-feet in diameter, and about five feet above the water's surface). In the foreground that "raft" of floating logs were chained together with heavy iron staples; however, most of those uncut logs retained within it became waterlogged to sink in place, or be carried off at Ice-Out to become "deadheads". In 2012, one "deadhead" appeared off Carry Beach—and remains there in 2013—but purportedly, "poses no hazard to navigation".

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 09:07 PM   #4
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts

Last year I found a section of barge-like construction on the bottom adjacent to the cove. I dove it to find what actually appeared to be a section of dock about 30 feet long, maybe a bit longer. I say this because as I recall it used 55 gallon drums for floats.

It was quite old but intact enough to appear clearly on sonar. Not worth it for divers to check out. It was in the south/southwest corner of the Winter Harbor.

I looked for the sonar image to post but once in a while I have to clean out my files because it gets overwhelming so this image was deleted. But it sure looked like a dock to me.
Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 07:08 PM   #5
ApS

Post Think Weekends Are Bad Now...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMaildock View Post
Would you like a picture of the boat you mention in your interesting overview of Johnson cove and meadow brook home. Are you aware of who now owns the property?
I'm not aware of who owns the property today, but I do pass by irregularly to wave at the folks there—and yes—I'd like a photo of "Sea Witch".

The last time I saw "Sea Witch", she was trying to run my boat down—at night! I got away by turning off my navigation lights, and running a zig-zag course back home.

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
NHBUOY (06-11-2015)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2015, 01:12 PM   #6
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
—at night! I got away by turning off my navigation lights, and running a zig-zag course back home.

Hmmm, doesn't sound overly safe to me...Those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codeman671 For This Useful Post:
That Guy (06-12-2015)
Old 06-14-2015, 07:50 PM   #7
camp guy

Default Johnson's Cove in Wolfeboro

Let me tell you, codeman671, in a gentle way, I knew both of the people referred to by Aps in his encounter with 'Sea Witch', both the owner of 'Sea Witch' and Aps, and I can tell you that Aps did the right thing to use any means necessary to evade 'Sea Witch'. The people associated with 'Sea Witch' were not nice people, by any measure, and it would have clearly not been beyond their behavior pattern to harass a small boat at night, even to the point of running it over.

So, running at night without lights - yes, not a good idea; running at night without lights in an effort to evade another boat, and make it to port safely - great idea.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to camp guy For This Useful Post:
ApS (06-15-2015)
Old 06-15-2015, 04:52 AM   #8
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Don't Marriott's own that now?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:48 AM   #9
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
Let me tell you, codeman671, in a gentle way, I knew both of the people referred to by Aps in his encounter with 'Sea Witch', both the owner of 'Sea Witch' and Aps, and I can tell you that Aps did the right thing to use any means necessary to evade 'Sea Witch'. The people associated with 'Sea Witch' were not nice people, by any measure, and it would have clearly not been beyond their behavior pattern to harass a small boat at night, even to the point of running it over.

So, running at night without lights - yes, not a good idea; running at night without lights in an effort to evade another boat, and make it to port safely - great idea.
It was tongue in cheek, chill...

APS loves to harass others about safe boating, I found it comical that he would put it out there that he broke the law himself.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codeman671 For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (06-15-2015)
Old 06-15-2015, 04:45 PM   #10
camp guy

Default Johnson's Cove...

Ok, codeman671, I'm cool!
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to camp guy For This Useful Post:
codeman671 (06-16-2015)
Old 06-16-2015, 07:43 AM   #11
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Misery loves company!
Old 07-30-2015, 10:26 PM   #12
BIMaildock

Default Sea witch

Also. Stop by this week and I will show you the pic and give you a toir
BIMaildock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 05:21 AM   #13
ApS

Smile

Quote:
Also. Stop by this week and I will show you the pic and give you a toir
Thanks for the invitation.

Weather-wise, today is shaping up to be a good day to stop by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
"...APS loves to harass others about safe boating..."
Well, yes...
Old 08-22-2015, 07:31 AM   #14
ApS

Smile Sea Witch, Frankum, Johnson's Cove, Marriott

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Don't Marriott's own that now?
After my visit and tour, it's certain: the Marriott family, whose busy caretaker has extended his responsibility beyond Johnson's Cove, west to The Broads.

(The cove's name is misspelled on the street sign).

Quote:
Would you like a picture of the boat you mention in your interesting overview of Johnson cove and Shadowbrook home. Are you aware of who now owns the property?
I'm sharing that presently many thanks:

Even having looked up at it—in the dark—it's even bigger than I remember it.

More details regarding the cove and surrounding forest can be found here:
http://winnipesaukee.com/forums/show...2&postcount=40