Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-28-2012, 01:32 PM   #1
dragonfly03246

Default Boat Registrations

For all those that register their boats in Laconia...

See this week's newsletter

http://www.city.laconia.nh.us/upload...Newsletter.pdf
dragonfly03246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:09 PM   #2
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Laconia Newsletter

WOW! I lived in laconia for decades and I never knew a newsletter exists! Thanks for the link!

As for registering at the city hall, the city gets a chunk of the registration. I always mailed mine in to the state so that the marine patrol gets the chunk.

On the last budget go round, I read that the registration revenue goes into the general funds and distributed as the legislature sees fit!

I'd rather give it to the city than let the Concord clowns play with it.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:14 PM   #3
tummyman

Seems I usually get my printed boat reg. from the state around the end of the year. Have not seen the forms yet. Has anyone received theirs or is the state just late? I wanted to renew early as the process last year took to long.
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:44 PM   #4
Joby

Default Boat Reg.

Received my boat Reg. from Concord in yesterdays mail.
Joby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:02 PM   #5
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts
Default Registration

In short, there are really two fees here. The registration fee that goes to the state, no matter where you register, and the property tax that goes to the town where you register. If you register by nail with the state, they get to keep the tax that otherwise would have gone to the city or town. This is explained on the back of your registration. Beyond that, the state registration fee is split by statute to go to various funds such as Exotic weed control (Milfoil), Department of Safety, Search and Rescue, etc. The most "amusing" one is the $1.00 tax collection fee. Not only do tax collector's get the agent's fee, because of the "unfunded mandate" language in the NH Constitution, when the state tells municipalities to do something, they have to pay the overhead. Ya' gotta love paying a tax collector to do a job for which he is already paid, and for which there is also an agent's fee.

I have two boats. I received one registration, still waiting for one. You can take the old one to your marina or town clerk., You don't have to wait for the (illegible) one from the state.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2012, 08:16 AM   #6
Winnisquamguy

Default Article from LDS

LACONIA — The City Clerk will begin registering boats for 2013 when her office opens on Wednesday, January 2. City Clerk Mary Reynolds said that boat owners need only show photographic identification and their prior year's registration, if they have it, to register in person.
"You will be ready to put your boat in the water before ice-out," she said.
After previously refusing to consider Reynold's application to serve as a boat agent, the Department of Safety (DOS) approved it midway through the boating season last year. The five marinas in the city — Channel Marine, Irwin Marine, Lakeport Landing, Paugus Bay Marina and Thurston's Marine — are also agents authorized to process registrations and collect fees.
For the past six years the state and its municipalities have wrestled over the proceeds from boat registrations, which may be collected by either. Two fees are collected. The registration fee ranges from $24 to $92 according to the length of the vessel, and the boat fee varies from $10 to $1,761 with the type, length, engine and age of the vessel. Both fees may be collected either by the state or its agents, both municipalities or marinas.
All proceeds from the registration fee, apart from a processing charge, are deposited with the state. But, boat fees collected by agents, either municipalities or marinas, are kept by the municipalities, where they offset property taxes, while those collected by the state remain with state.
In 2006, the DOS began aggressively pursuing registrations by mailing renewal notices to some 102,000 boat owners, along with a self-addressed, postage paid envelope, as well as processing boat registrations at the satellite office of the Department of Motor Vehicles at the Belknap Mall. Since 2004, when the city collected approximately $140,000 in boat fees, receipts have plummeted to less than $65,000.
In supporting Reynold's efforts to become a boat agent, the City Council expected that with the clerk's office, together with the five marinas registering vessels, the decline in proceeds from boat registrations could be halted or reversed, especially since the DMV closed its office at the Belknap Mall in Belmont.

http://www.laconiadailysun.com/index...t-registration
Old 12-29-2012, 10:04 AM   #7
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamguy View Post
Since 2004, when the city collected approximately $140,000 in boat fees, receipts have plummeted to less than $65,000.
So does the City of Laconia do anything that benefits boaters with this money? Messer St ramp, Weirs public docks surely could use some maintenance.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:15 PM   #8
nhboat61

I have not received any notice for boat registration as of today. I did get my trailers two weeks ago from the town and already have the new tags.
nhboat61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:41 AM   #9
fatlazyless

Going to the NH Marine Patrol Headquarters at the Glendale docks in Gilford and registering your boat at their service window automatically saves you five dollars verses the price paid at a town clerk or marina. All the money goes to the State of NH, plus while there, you get to park in one of their luxurious waterfront, visiter parking spots and take a few minutes to peruse the MP fleet of about 15 different police boats......which makes it worth the trip!

So for me, that drops the registration fee on my 16'-40hp, Lake Winnipesaukee motor-yacht down from about $48 to 43 ......... whoo-hooo! It was about $28 up till maybe three years ago.

And just for drills, how much do you pay for your Lake Winni boat reg?
Old 01-03-2013, 10:48 AM   #10
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
So does the City of Laconia do anything that benefits boaters with this money? Messer St ramp, Weirs public docks surely could use some maintenance.
Does Laconia have a public boat launch on Lake Winnipesaukee? No, they do not probably because there's a number of marinas like Channel and Thurston's that have launch ramps. Laconia already has some big money demands driven by building new schools without wanting to build an un-needed boat launch.

And, the Messer St ramp which launches into Lake Opeechee was built and donated by the local electric utility that owns the land, as per the sign at that spot. Believe it is an all-dirt, non-asphalt pavement type of a small boat ramp.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:21 AM   #11
Misty Blue

Default Me bad!

I broke the law. Normaly the boat regs. come in Nov. Nothing. I called the registry in Concord and they said that they were a little bit behind in getting them out this year.

I like to keep at least one service boat in the drink until after New Years day just in case some one on an island needs help. No takers this year. So with a red decal I took one last spin on Thursday (2013) to seafoam the engine and to put her away. Put up the boat and serviced the engine in front of the wood stove. The next morning the bay was frozen.

Launched on March 27th and pulled on Jan 3rd. 281 days. Not too bad!

When is ice out?

Misty Blue
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:06 PM   #12
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum-r breeze View Post
So..You know my boat is White AND Black...Hmmmm
I know it's white and black and where the blender is in the galley!

"Summer Breeze, makes me feel fine...blowing through the jasmine in my mind"

Last edited by PaugusBayFireFighter; 02-23-2014 at 11:01 AM.
PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PaugusBayFireFighter For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (02-21-2014), lakershaker (02-21-2014), sum-r breeze (02-28-2014)