Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 11-13-2013, 10:25 PM   #1
windsail

Default lake winnisquam

Looking at a house on lake winnisquam, are there docks to rent? How is Wildwood Beach? It looks like a nice lake not far from the big lake. Any thoughts on if it's a good move?
Thanks
windsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:12 AM   #2
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

We like Winnisquam......still some undeveloped shore and nice for skiing and cruising. You can usually find flat water even on busy summer days. Downside is....much smaller and few restaurants by boat. I've lived on both lakes and it's a tossup.
Smaller lake=peace and quiet, no "road rage" or huge wakes .
Big lake=more exciting, more things to do but lots of traffic.
Winnisquam Marine is the biggest marina on the lake and they have a great reputation.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
windsail (12-01-2013)
Old 11-14-2013, 08:49 AM   #3
fatlazyless

Default ..... 107-mph?

Lake Winnisquam is the third largest lake in the state, and unlike Winnipesaukee, 45-mph, and Squam Lake, 40-mph; Lake Winnisquam does not have any speed limit for motorboats so that could be terrific if you have the need for speed.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:31 PM   #4
tbonies

We lived on Winnisquam for 7 years and then moved over to Winni a few years ago. Both lakes have their pros and cons. Boats on Winnisquam generally don't exceed about 22' and if you get in any trouble the shoreline is always close. And there are relatively few navigational hazards to think about. Both lakes can get wild with traffic on Saturdays in the summer but frankly both are quite peaceful the rest of the time. We moved because we wanted greater diversity in boating, dining on the water, and places to cruise to. Winnisquam really has no dining by water. Wildwood Beach is nice for those in the Shore Dr area without direct water access. In summary, it probably depends on what you are looking for. Good luck.
tbonies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tbonies For This Useful Post:
windsail (12-01-2013)
Old 11-14-2013, 09:02 PM   #5
codeman671

Default why stop at 107mph???

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Lake Winnisquam is the third largest lake in the state, and unlike Winnipesaukee, 45-mph, and Squam Lake, 40-mph; Lake Winnisquam does not have any speed limit for motorboats so that could be terrific if you have the need for speed.
Seriously Les, give it a rest. The only one here still dwelling seems to be you...well, and maybe Aps.
codeman671 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2013, 08:15 AM   #6
fatlazyless

Default ....gps verified!

....why 107-mph......I know......107-mph sounds like an unbelievable number but that was the top speed for my old neighbor's boat, a 28' Skater with twin 300-hp Merc's.....it was an incredible boat that he buzzed around the lake.....a tunnel hull inverted catamaran I believe is what it was.....and on a mid-week day in early June with very calm water....he got it up to 107 .....and the craigslist ad said "has seen 107-mph, out on the broads, as verified by gps" believe it sold for $75,000 and went to Florida....what a cool boat!
Old 11-15-2013, 08:17 AM   #7
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Lake Winnisquam is the third largest lake in the state,
I believe its the 4th largest... Winnie, Squam, Newfound, and then Winnisquam.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winnisquam_Lake
windsail (12-01-2013)
Old 11-15-2013, 05:09 PM   #8
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Winnisquam can get pretty rough, like the other lakes as well. I have been on the lake where water was coming over the bow trying to get from the Marina to our cabin on Lower Bay road many years ago. I had a little 18' MFG with a 50HP outboard....It was quite a ride. Spent a lot of time on Winnisquam back in the 80's. Not much to do other than go round and round though as mentioned.....
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lakesrider For This Useful Post:
windsail (12-01-2013)
Old 12-01-2013, 05:09 PM   #9
windsail

Default thanks

maybe we will keep our motor boat on big lake and sail on smaller lake. Best of both worlds
Old 01-21-2014, 01:45 PM   #10
chris410

We do most of our boating on Winnisquam, We trailer up from Bow so its fairly easy to get to and the public ramp is really nice. We also have an 18' boat so we don't get tossed around as much on Winnisquam as we do on Winnipesaukee.

I like that the lake is big enough to not get bored, you can cruise to the northern end and go up the inlet a big and its no wake zone that is very undeveloped, nice place to go for a swim or relax on the boat, you can do water sports just south of this area and its a little smoother vs. out on the open part of the lake, the sandbar is near the bridge and is always a fun spot to hang out. There is a pizza joint that delivers food via a small skiff.

There is a NWZ south of the sand bar near winnisquam marine that is a nice spot to toss the anchor and hang out. and south of that is another section of the lake that is a good spot to do water skiing and such.

There is also 2 ice cream pontoon boats that are out there almost every weekend.
chris410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:18 PM   #11
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default I live on Winnisquam

See SAMIAM post above. I agree on all counts. I have the big boat on Lake Winnipesaukee, just 5 minutes from me. I have two PWCs and soon a classic ski boat on Lake Winnisquam.

Lake Winnisquam is tame on weekends in-season compare to Winnipesaukee. I do all my weekend boating on Winnisquam, and occasionally boat during the week and off-season on the big lake. Winnisquam is great for aquatic activities and rafting. If you are at the sandbar, you can duck under the bridge during a brief thunderstorm! Although there is a family restaurant across from Jay's Marina, docking is extremely limited. There is a dock off of the Winnisquam Market next to the bridge in case you forgot ice etc.

I am a member of Wildwood Beach. Very clean and the folks that used it are very nice. Excellent beach house. There is a launch ramp for members only. The ramp is sandy so use with caution if land is very wet. I had a number of large parties at the beach and everyone is courteous.

Winnisquam Marine Sales and Service is second to none. The public launch ramp is also second to none. Although it may be full early in the morning as Lake Winnisquam is a fishing mecca, you will find parking later on toward noon.
windsail (01-22-2014)
Old 01-21-2014, 03:34 PM   #12
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Hey FLL?

Have a need for speed? I am currently preparing a Magnum Missile with a 2500 XS. Not sure if I can hit 107 but it will be close.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:07 PM   #13
windsail

Default Winnisquam

Thank you for the information. We are so excited to use the lake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
We do most of our boating on Winnisquam, We trailer up from Bow so its fairly easy to get to and the public ramp is really nice. We also have an 18' boat so we don't get tossed around as much on Winnisquam as we do on Winnipesaukee.

I like that the lake is big enough to not get bored, you can cruise to the northern end and go up the inlet a big and its no wake zone that is very undeveloped, nice place to go for a swim or relax on the boat, you can do water sports just south of this area and its a little smoother vs. out on the open part of the lake, the sandbar is near the bridge and is always a fun spot to hang out. There is a pizza joint that delivers food via a small skiff.

There is a NWZ south of the sand bar near winnisquam marine that is a nice spot to toss the anchor and hang out. and south of that is another section of the lake that is a good spot to do water skiing and such.

There is also 2 ice cream pontoon boats that are out there almost every weekend.