Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2007, 07:08 AM   #1
TomC

Default Gas dock attendant tipping

I always gave a couple of bucks to the kid who helps me tie off at the gas dock. I know there are people that say there is no need to tip, but I like to and will continue to do so.. to each his own.

My old boat had a 20 gallon tank, so a fillup was 15 gallons at $2.50 in the old days, my bill was ~$40. so $2-3 seemed OK to me.

Last weekend I filled up the new boat which took 30 gallons at ~$3.50, so the bill was over $100. I sort of felt like a cheapskate giving the kid a couple of bucks.

So what do you think? Should one tip on the percentage of the bill? or since the "work" in tying up a boat and filling 10-50 gallons is no different, that a couple of bucks is OK.

Or should I just give the kid (assuming they are attentive, engaging, polite) a fiver and leave it at that? I think that's the new plan...
TomC is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TomC For This Useful Post:
manager (08-20-2009)
Old 08-18-2007, 07:35 AM   #2
Steve

I guess I'd say the work didn't change, just the price of the fuel. I think you're ok doing what you did, regardless of the price of the fuel. It's not like a restaurant, where the tip is based on the bill amount.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 07:38 AM   #3
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Tipping

Depending on how attentive and helpful the dock attendant is I would give $1 to $5. Obviously more if one was really wealthy and had one of those big buck boats with the 300 gallon tanks!!
Old Hubbard Rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 07:52 AM   #4
Phantom

Interesting topic, and I'm glad it showed up in the Forum.

I too am always torn as to the proper etiquette of tipping or not. With that in mind I'll throw out my practice at the docks and sit back and see what others are doing.

Quite simply, if I'm fueling up (65 gallon tank) I will usually give the dock attendent (typically a college student) between $2-$5 -- as others said - this is dependant on how attentative the person is and how engaging they are.

On the other hand, there are numerous times when we stop at Anchor Marine to simply pick up Ice, soda's etc ....... all though the dock hands are "johnny on the spot" I rarely if ever tip for this 5 minute stop.

Interested in what others do ---- I certainly do not follow a percentage formula, $5 is about my max for tipping--- Am I off base ?
Old 08-18-2007, 08:28 AM   #5
Paugus Bay Resident

I usually go $7 - 10 if a pump-out is involved. 2 110 gal tanks, so gas and the pump out usually take some time

Last edited by Paugus Bay Resident; 08-29-2007 at 02:26 PM.
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2007, 09:35 AM   #6
Captain Zipper

24 foot boat

70 gallon tank

I'll give $2 to $5 depending on service; or I'll give zip if I'm doing it all.

If the attendant tells me how beautiful my wife is than she usually makes me tip him more.
Captain Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 10:01 AM   #7
Misty Blue

Default T.I.P. is an acronym!

I learned this during my bus boy days at the Harvard Club in Boston. A place where the patrons can get a great meal and the help can eat their pride!

The acronym T-I-P stands for "To Insure Promptness". It is a method for those requiring service to insure that they are treated in a special manner. Every patron expects and deserves courtious, professional service as a standard. This is for the extras. ie.

Welcome to the Harvard Club Mrs. Archabault. My, your hair is a lovely shade of blue today. And isn't that a new diamond collar on your pricious poodle Mr. Tips? Very becoming. Yada, Yada, Yada. In the industry this is known as "smooch hiending". Demeaning but effective both for Mrs. Archabault and the server!

Of corurse, servers depend on tips for a major part of their income but the T-I-P concept is real for evryone in the service industry.

When I hit the gas dock with my work boat the kids there know that I am not there to pussyfoot around. They land me professionally, top me off fast and get me underway. Good deck seamanship and refueling procedures. At the end of the weekend I drop them a $20 for a pizza. Always good service. It's a T-I-P.

I am offered and accept tips for my services. Usually a small thank you, sometimes a bit more if the job is difficult or dangerous. A tough job at three in the morning would be an example. It is funny but I have noticed hesitation on the part of the patron. Don't worry! You will never offend someone by offering a tip.

So remember the kids at the gas dock have ten weeks to make their college spending money. If they can make enough then maybe you won't see a sheet hanging from the bleachers at the B.C. game that says...

"Hi Mom, Hi Dad...Send money!

Misty Blue.
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 10:09 AM   #8
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom
Interesting topic, and I'm glad it showed up in the Forum.
Doesn't that coffee smell good...

Tipping entered in the search input box yeilded:

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...hlight=tipping

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...hlight=tipping
Old 08-18-2007, 07:02 PM   #9
Newbiesaukee

I usually tip $5 and it is always appreciated. The price of gas has not changed this. There was one place on the lake where the attendant refused the tip.
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 07:13 PM   #10
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee
I usually tip $5 and it is always appreciated. The price of gas has not changed this. There was one place on the lake where the attendant refused the tip.
I used to tip $3, now with a bigger boat, it's usually $5. These kids are either sitting around board to death or scrambling with three boats waiting. I spent my teen years in the service industry, every little bit helps.

Once someone hinted very loudly and clearly for a tip, a grown man, he didn't get one from me! Luckily it wasn't my regular marina, so I haven't been back.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 07:33 PM   #11
MeEscape

Unhappy Non tipper

As one who actually pumped gas for a number of years, a HUGE number of years ago, helped dock, helped launch, changed oil, cleaned up after the “Barbershoppers”, OK we did pump a bilge full of gas ( hey, we were young and the customer was great looking). I don’t ever remember getting a tip. We did pump some good sized tanks and without automatic nozzles.

I have my own 200 gallon boat and I don’t tip. I just never think of it, isn’t it part of the job? I don't do it to be mean or cheap, it has just never occurred to me. I hope my kids don't read this, I can guess what they'll say.
MeEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 09:12 AM   #12
Newbiesaukee

To be honest, I did not think of it until it was discussed on this forum a while back. I did not tip before then. Of the kinds of tips that I do give, this is the one that is usually not expected by the recipient who does appreciate it. At this point IMO it really is a matter of choice and not really "necessary."
Old 08-19-2007, 09:44 AM   #13
Kamper

I usualy tip a dollar or two. I can afford it and it's worth it to see their eyes light up.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 02:59 PM   #14
masssteve

Like Cap. Zip, I tip depending on level of service,
helping with lines, fill up, pumpout, conversation = $10
no help with lines, fill up, no pumpout, no conversation = $0
They are mostly college kids paying for school, at least there working and not taking the summers off to party!
Its also amazing to me the quailty and level of service that differs from marina to marina. Lakeport is not only the least expensive but by far the nicest. Channel, Anchor, Meredith, personal are also very helpful. Thurstons is at the bottom of my list along with Trexlers, and the station in Wolfeboro, they seem to never help, and are aggravated that I'm even there. I manage a business and am very attentive on the customer service that my employees provide.
masssteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 04:27 PM   #15
This'nThat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC
So what do you think? Should one tip on the percentage of the bill? or since the "work" in tying up a boat and filling 10-50 gallons is no different, that a couple of bucks is OK....
If you tip, you should increase your tip to $5. Why? Even though the work remains the same, they are facing the same price increases as you. They also are now paying $3.00 rather than $2.50 for their gas.

In addition, you may have gotten a raise at your work this year. Did your "workload" increase to justify the raise, or was it mainly a COLA type of thing? Apply those same principles to the people you tip. -- Since you asked.
This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 08:19 PM   #16
jetskier

Default Tip

Hi all,

I usually TIP on the order of $10 (no pump out). I figure that these kids are not very well paid and any money that they get in a summer job is a good thing. My feeling is that we were all there once and a decent TIP is a way of paying back a little.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 08:34 PM   #17
chaseisland

Default tip

Once upon a time your gas station had someone pump your gas, check the oil level, and wash your front window. Did you tip that person? I never did, it was all part of the job and the minimum wage was $1.25/hour, while a six pack of Reingold was $1.00.
chaseisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 10:23 PM   #18
Captain Zipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseisland
Once upon a time your gas station had someone pump your gas, check the oil level, and wash your front window. Did you tip that person? I never did, it was all part of the job and the minimum wage was $1.25/hour, while a six pack of Reingold was $1.00.

Chase, the year was 1977 and I was the guy pumping the gas..... yada, yada, yada.

It was 8:30 on a Sunday night, I worked in a Gulf station just off I-91 in Northampton; two big mobile home campers came in........ the guys tipped me. I was very pleasantly surprised. It didn't happen often.

I have a problem going to Dunkin' Donuts and they have the tip jar out. I don't know why only that particular store bothers me (with them having their hand out) but for some reason it does.

CZ
Old 08-20-2007, 06:56 AM   #19
jceria

Default I do tip sometimes but...

Should you tip someone that's just doing thier job? They're not waitresses!
I've seen a "tip jar" on the counter at a grocery store on the cape, that's ridiculous!
One girl that pumped gas in my boat was just happy to get out of the store and out on the dock for a few minuntes.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:14 AM   #20
TomC

Default try to be a little less patronizing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by This'nThat
If you tip, you should increase your tip to $5. Why? Even though the work remains the same, they are facing the same price increases as you. They also are now paying $3.00 rather than $2.50 for their gas.

In addition, you may have gotten a raise at your work this year. Did your "workload" increase to justify the raise, or was it mainly a COLA type of thing? Apply those same principles to the people you tip. -- Since you asked.

I did say i was going to up the tip to $5.

Also, what I do for a living couldn't possibly be less relevant to this discussion. It is the responsibility of the employer to adjust wages to market and this has little bearing on the gratuity left for the dock hand. Do you increase your tips to servers every year in response to inflation?
Old 08-20-2007, 07:27 AM   #21
chaseisland

CZ Reingold @$1.00/six pack in 1977? I missed out, I'm talking 1963, when gas was free and the wind was in my hair.
chaseisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 08:43 AM   #22
jrc

Don't forget that waitresses and waiters are paid less than minimum wage to account for their tips. Plus if they don't report some income above and beyond what it says on their W2, the IRS will ask questions. So they are taxed on tips they should have got.

Like it or not the restaurant industry is set up this way. I we changed it to stop tipping and make the restaurant pay minimum wage, the owners would just raise the food prices. They have to get the dollars from somewhere.

Of course none of this applies to gas dock attendents, but if you can afford it and the person is pleasent and helpful, why not?
Old 08-20-2007, 09:00 PM   #23
This'nThat

Default You asked, I responded

Quote:

Also, what I do for a living couldn't possibly be less relevant to this discussion. It is the responsibility of the employer to adjust wages to market and this has little bearing on the gratuity left for the dock hand. Do you increase your tips to servers every year in response to inflation?
Don't like the answers? Don't ask the questions.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:51 AM   #24
Phantom

Default Thank You All

Well -- it looks like I'm in the "norm" with my practices of $2 -$5 tip based on the attendant's behavior .......... not that it should matter, it does make me feel better to know that I'm not out of what appears the average.

Thanks again to the forum members that chimed in -- it is different than a resturaunt waiter/waitress and it's always made me second guess my actions as I left the gas dock.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:02 AM   #25
TomC

Default the answers were fine..

Quote:
Originally Posted by This'nThat
Don't like the answers? Don't ask the questions.
...from those who answered. You decided to editorialize. But the beauty of the 'ignore list' is that i don't have to read the responses of posters who have nothing useful to say..

To all the serious respondents: thanks
Old 08-21-2007, 08:25 PM   #26
This'nThat

Quote:
To all the serious respondents: thanks
You're welcome. Glad we all could help.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:31 PM   #27
Captain Zipper

Your welcome Tom.

And perhaps more than a few of the 829 people that have viewed your post will now start tipping or at least think of it. I'm sure the dock attendants will appreciate it.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:25 PM   #28
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default Thoughts on Tipping

Ok Ok maybe I am mean and unkind, but why would I tip a Gas Dock attendant? I think people have gotten over zelous when it comes to tipping. You go into Gas station, gas dock, hell I have even been in a McDonalds with a tip cup. Tipping a waitress is one thing, first off I know He/She is making a lower wage because she is supposed to get tipped and report it. Now someone working at a Gas Dock is getting paid a full wage, and if you tip them they aren't going to be reporting it. The Key is they are getting paid a full wage. I am not going to pay someone more money to do a job that they are getting paid for. If some college student needs to make more then minimum wage to have spending money for the year then they darn well better get a good summer Job.... That is what I did.... sure I wanted to work at the gas docks in the summer and be by the water but I new that wasn't going to pay the bills.... All the tipping that is going on is criminal it is showing teenagers that no matter what the job is you can make more money by fleecing the customer, by acting like your desperate....

Sorry to ramble on here folks.... but what is next tipping the attendant at the self serve Gas station.....
Old 08-25-2007, 08:40 AM   #29
Captain Zipper

LI,

You're right, you ARE MEAN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin
If some college student needs to make more then minimum wage to have spending money for the year then they darn well better get a good summer Job.... That is what I did.... sure I wanted to work at the gas docks in the summer and be by the water but I new that wasn't going to pay the bills.....
So are you just mad that YOU didn't take the job by the water and had the good money to boot (due to the tips)? I'm kidding.

Mind if I ask what your summer job ended up being? I promise I won't be cruel in my rebuttal.

I understand your points about all the other service providers that "now" have the proverbial cup out. I totally agree with you.

Who knows, maybe those of us that do tip are idiots because the kids are making $15 to $20 bucks an hour AND they have a job on the water. Those son of a...................guns. LOL

Peace and inner harmony,

CZ
Old 08-25-2007, 08:45 AM   #30
masssteve

Is it there job to help tie up, or get some ice from the cooler for you, or to help untie and push away from the dock, or to maybe wipe up around the gas fill instead of leaving the drip to spoil gelcoat. Thats why I tip, going beyond what they are "required" to do. For instance I was going to fill up with water the other day, I went for the hose and the attendent stopped me and said I'll do that for you sir. That deserves a alittle extra because there doing alittle extra. As I said in my prevous post, I tip depending on level of service. Do you not tip a bartender, or a taxi cab driver, or a door man, or a valet. These jobs all pay min. wage or above. Don't they get tipped?
masssteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 03:33 PM   #31
secondcurve

LI:

I feel bad for you. So jadded. I tip these kids $5.00-10.00 for 50-90 gallon fill-ups and I enjoy doing it. Life is short, try and be a bit nicer! You'll feel better.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:56 PM   #32
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve

So jadded............ You'll feel better.
First I feel just fine. Second I am not jaded. My view is just a bit different. I always say do what makes you happy. And hey if you happy tipping then so be it. The real reason of my post was to raise awareness to the fact that as a society we have let tipping get out of control. I tip when I feel it is needed. If a gas dock attendant Helps me dock my boat and pumps some gas I don't feel that is beyond the scope of there job..... therefore no tip..... which is not much differently then I act a bar or in a cab.... if the cabbie just drives, and doesn't offer any conversation I am likely to just pay the fair.... but why if the cabbie engages in some banter and the ride goes faster then yep he gets a tip. And hey even in a resturant, sure I always tip a waitress/ waiter..... but it stems from there level of service (which is something I see several of us agree on is important)..... In short what all this comes down to is what is in the scope of a job. As a gas dock attendant helping a customer dock, pumping the gas, and cleaning up accidental spillage is part of the job. Now if I was having a pump out or something out of the ordinary done for me that is different.

My feeling are simply that all to often these days, either tips are given, or expected for doing stuff that is within the scope of a job. Believe me I am the first to reward someone for work that is not part of thier job.... I just get irritated when people feel they should be tipped... luckily I have not seen a gas dock with a tip cup yet...... but is something i have seen so many places it irritates me.......

As for me I worked in a Meat cutter/wrapper going to college, and service was my middle name, I never once got or expected a tip..It was part of my job, even when customer asked for custom orders..... it was just all part of my job....I didn't make much more then my friends but because my job had some skill to it I made a few extra dollars an hour......
Old 08-27-2007, 04:04 PM   #33
Captain Zipper

LI,

Your view is probably not so different than the majority.

I'm sure if we asked the gas jockeys how often they get tipped the answer would be, "not often enough!". LOL

Like I said, I agree with you about most of the other professions that I see with tip cups that I don't feel should be there.

I just have a warm spot in my heart for these fuel jockeys since a long, long, long time ago in a land far, far away.............I, too, was a "petroleum engineer".

CZ
Old 08-27-2007, 04:29 PM   #34
jeffk

Default I seem to be about average

$3 to $5. 50 gallon tank. I haven't changed since the prices inflated. I expect them to come over in a timely fashion and help tie up. Also appreciated if they chat a bit.

I got tipped when I pumped car gas 30 years ago, also when I carried groceries to people's cars. I appreciated it then. For the comparative little it costs me I feel good and the recipients seem appreciative.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 02:29 PM   #35
Coastal Laker

Default I tip too

If you have seen the way some boaters treat these kids, you'd tip 'em just for putting up with the jerks.

Regardless, I tip $5 for pumping my gas, or $7-10 for gas and pumpout, or just $5 if it's just a pumpout - since I have yet to be charged for that service alone.
Coastal Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 01:16 PM   #36
Seadoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Laker
since I have yet to be charged for that service alone.
yeah i know most marina the pump out is free with gas, lakeport does it free with gas or it is $5 with no gas.
Seadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 11:58 PM   #37
CaptDan

Default just do it

if you can afford the boat/fuel/slip you can afford to tip a kid a few bucks.

- Dan
The Life of Riley
CaptDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 03:53 PM   #38
Seeker

I ran a yacht club gas dock in Mass. thru high school and college and the tips were well appreciated. Those that tipped were remembered if you know what I mean. Back then it might have been 50 cents or a buck or two but it all counted. We only had a 1000 gallon tank and if I was running low you know who got the gas. I think we were 45.9/gal back then, about 10 cents higher than on land.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 05:39 PM   #39
SAUGUS BOATER

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC View Post

Maybe what you do for a living is relevant to this conversation. Maybe someone who enjoys coming up to the lake and has a great job that allows him to do fun stuff like this with his family and is actually GRATEFUL
that they can. MAybe that person has a "share the wealth" mentality and can finally reward someone for actually going the extra mile to help. I'm not talking about a guy that puts gas in your tank and says "have a nice day" (that's what the $4.00 a gallon is for). I'm talking about the guy that helps guide your boat in without smashing into the dock, actually remembers your name from the day before when he put $200 dollars worth of gas in your boat, gives you some tips on secret spots to enjoy the lake, and maybe even tells you you have a hot wife
SAUGUS BOATER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 05:57 PM   #40
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAUGUS BOATER View Post
Maybe what you do for a living is relevant to this conversation. Maybe someone who enjoys coming up to the lake and has a great job that allows him to do fun stuff like this with his family and is actually GRATEFUL
that they can. MAybe that person has a "share the wealth" mentality and can finally reward someone for actually going the extra mile to help. I'm not talking about a guy that puts gas in your tank and says "have a nice day" (that's what the $4.00 a gallon is for). I'm talking about the guy that helps guide your boat in without smashing into the dock, actually remembers your name from the day before when he put $200 dollars worth of gas in your boat, gives you some tips on secret spots to enjoy the lake, and maybe even tells you you have a hot wife
Speaking of which, I think it's pretty well known around here that the GFBL boaters give major tips to the marnina babes at the dock
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 06:00 PM   #41
jetskier

Default Imho

I always tip at the gas dock unless the service is outright rude. For the most part, the dock attendants are kids trying to earn a few extra dollars during a short boating season. I laud their initiative and give them $5 or $10 whether I am filling the jetski or the boat. I believe that this is the socially correct behavior and if you can afford the boat then this should not be a big deal.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:43 PM   #42
laker06

As a current gas dock attendant and college student, I can say that any tip is greatly appreciated by all of us working on the docks. If each boat gave even one dollar I could buy several college textbooks and not have to take out a loan to pay for books. I understand that we are not getting paid as low as waiters, but it's not like we are getting paid ten dollars an hour. The way I see it, if you can afford to gas up a boat you can spare a dollar or two for us gas dock attendants.
laker06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 02:18 PM   #43
kjbathe

Default The way I see it...

That I can afford to own and fuel a boat has no relationship at all to you getting a tip. That's a very good life lesson.

You don't get the extra because I should be able to spare it. You get the extra because you earned it by doing any of the variety of things noted above, and you did them well.
kjbathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 02:38 PM   #44
wildwoodfam

Default Well thats an interesting theory!

Quote:
Originally Posted by laker06 View Post
The way I see it, if you can afford to gas up a boat you can spare a dollar or two for us gas dock attendants.
OUCH - we are in a lot of trouble if today's young adult thinks because I own a boat I can spare a couple bucks for his/her college textbooks!!

KJBathe says it once and I'll restate because it's important...

You don't deserve a tip just because you're working at a gas fill up on the lake, it's a bonus, a perk, and it's earned!

Good conversation while filling up - or a piece of advice like, "I heard there was a lot of traffic around the Braun Bay sandbar - you should try anchoring off Timber Is., it's pretty quiet in comparison." or "I see you have a tube - we always tube in Blackey's Cove, it's never crowded and it's a great spot for kids." etc...

BTW - I always tip at the gas docks when I feel the kids have earned it - and most of the time the guys and girls do!
wildwoodfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 03:26 PM   #45
laker06

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoodfam View Post
OUCH - we are in a lot of trouble if today's young adult thinks because I own a boat I can spare a couple bucks for his/her college textbooks!!

KJBathe says it once and I'll restate because it's important...

You don't deserve a tip just because you're working at a gas fill up on the lake, it's a bonus, a perk, and it's earned!

Good conversation while filling up - or a piece of advice like, "I heard there was a lot of traffic around the Braun Bay sandbar - you should try anchoring off Timber Is., it's pretty quiet in comparison." or "I see you have a tube - we always tube in Blackey's Cove, it's never crowded and it's a great spot for kids." etc...

BTW - I always tip at the gas docks when I feel the kids have earned it - and most of the time the guys and girls do!
I think both you and kjbathe are taking my post out of context. I never said that I deserve a tip just for standing out on a dock. Nor did I say that because you can afford a boat I should automatically receive a tip. All I was trying to say is that any extra money is GREATLY APPRECIATED by those of us who work on the gas docks. From my perspective, gas attendants are generally courteous, thoughtful, and willing to give you a helping hand when docking, so why not give them a dollar or two? To make my point even more clear, when a gas attendant does do all of the aforementioned things and does them well, will a couple more dollars added to your $100+ gas bill really hurt? In no way does that mean that because you can afford the tip I should receive it. Tipping is supposed to be an incentive to go that extra step when providing service to a customer, so when we do go that extra step I think that someone who has a boat and fills it up can afford the tip.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:32 PM   #46
GWC...

Quote:
As a current gas dock attendant and college student, I can say that any tip is greatly appreciated by all of us working on the docks. If each boat gave even one dollar I could buy several college textbooks and not have to take out a loan to pay for books. I understand that we are not getting paid as low as waiters, but it's not like we are getting paid ten dollars an hour. The way I see it, if you can afford to gas up a boat you can spare a dollar or two for us gas dock attendants.
If you are able to take a subsidized Stafford Loan, do it. If you have a credit card, use the loan, instead, to pay for your books. If you do not know why, take a Finance class or two.

TIP: Optional payment given in addition to a required payment, usually to express appreciation for excellent service; also called gratuity.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:00 PM   #47
ITD

Quote:
I think both you and kjbathe are taking my post out of context. I never said that I deserve a tip just for standing out on a dock. Nor did I say that because you can afford a boat I should automatically receive a tip. All I was trying to say is that any extra money is GREATLY APPRECIATED by those of us who work on the gas docks. From my perspective, gas attendants are generally courteous, thoughtful, and willing to give you a helping hand when docking, so why not give them a dollar or two? To make my point even more clear, when a gas attendant does do all of the aforementioned things and does them well, will a couple more dollars added to your $100+ gas bill really hurt? In no way does that mean that because you can afford the tip I should receive it. Tipping is supposed to be an incentive to go that extra step when providing service to a customer, so when we do go that extra step I think that someone who has a boat and fills it up can afford the tip.

You have much to learn, if I were you I would not reveal where you work, much less who you are.......
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 06:34 PM   #48
Rattlesnake Guy

The secret to earning a tip is doing your best without any expectation of anything more than thank you.

We don't expect a tip for helping you do your job in filling our boat and are never disappointed.

BTW I tip 80% of the time as 80% of the time it is earned.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:56 PM   #49
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

You're right Laker...it's not fair.All those rich guys running around in $100,000 boats.No reason they couldn't drop off a few bucks even if they don't gas up.Just swing in and drop off some cash.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 09:21 PM   #50
pats fan

Certainly not blaming any one particular person and not directing this toward anyone who has posted here. I personally do not have children but see from friends, family, co workers, etc, that todays teens and young adults have a sense of entitlment. They seem to think they are owed and deserve everything, there is no work required for them to be handed the world on a silver platter. I realize this does not mean ALL of them, but from my experience, MOST. I am only in my 30's but can not believe the difference between my generation and todays yound adult generation. I agree, I tip for service, not just because. Give me great service and go above and beyond and I will give you a great tip that you EARNED. Don't go above and beyond and don't expect a tip from me. Just because someone can afford the extra couple dollars does not mean it is for you. Too many parents have set their kids up for this failure in life. Then we wonder why the country is in the condition it is in. Make your kids earn what they have and they will appreciate it rather than think you and the rest of the world owes it to them.
pats fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 09:26 PM   #51
Hermit Cover

Smile Size matters....

I think I get it....A Chris Craft, Cobalt, Sea Ray, Formula etc. owner with a 30+ footer would give a BIG, BIG tip....smaller Bayliners, (not that I have anything against Bayliners) would be capable of a big tip, A smaller aluminum Lund owner with a 40 hp outboard...a tip....a Jetskier....a buck....a kayaker...(do kayakers get gas?????) (I bet some do).... Sorry....just had to get that one in!
Hermit Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 01:17 AM   #52
laker06

I started working in my family's business at the age of 10 and have been paying for my own things for quite some time. I am also paying my way through college. I do not feel as though anyone owes me anything nor do I feel any sort of entitlement. I understand that being on the gas docks does not mean I should automatically get a tip and I certainly don't expect one from every boat that I pump gas for. I also do not think that just because you have a large and expensive boat that you are required to tip. Never in any of my posts did I say that it is a requirement of anyone to tip gas attendants nor did I personally attack anyone like some of you have chosen to do. My first post probably was not as clear as it should have been and I did not mean to create such a negative reaction. I guess my viewpoint may just come down to the way I was raised and my family's values. I was taught to give what you can when you can. So, if I owned a boat and was helped by a courteous gas attendant, then yes, I would tip them. Not because I could afford it, but because I know that every little bit helps.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:45 AM   #53
ITD

Pats fan,

I hear what you are saying and it is certainly true in some cases, but I'll tell you, I've seen many more kids who get it. They are well mannered, want to work and don't have the entitlement mentality that the couple of generation before them have. There is hope, but the actions of those who don't know any better seem to speak loudest...

Last edited by ITD; 06-28-2008 at 08:35 AM.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 08:14 AM   #54
Rose

Don't worry, laker06, I understood what you meant. I went back to reread your initial post to see what the fuss was about. For me, your initial comment that a tip is greatly appreciated indicates to me that it's not expected as part of some sort of entitlement. If you truly thought you were entitled, you'd be standing in front of the 50" plasma TV (not paid for by you) playing "Guitar Hero" (not paid for by you) on your Wii (not paid for by you) all summer, not working at a gas dock.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:05 AM   #55
NHKathy

Default I agree with Rose:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose View Post
Don't worry, laker06, I understood what you meant. I went back to reread your initial post to see what the fuss was about. For me, your initial comment that a tip is greatly appreciated indicates to me that it's not expected as part of some sort of entitlement. If you truly thought you were entitled, you'd be standing in front of the 50" plasma TV (not paid for by you) playing "Guitar Hero" (not paid for by you) on your Wii (not paid for by you) all summer, not working at a gas dock.
Hi, too, read your 1st post and don't see what the fuss is all about...

"As a current gas dock attendant and college student, I can say that any tip is greatly appreciated by all of us working on the docks. If each boat gave even one dollar I could buy several college textbooks and not have to take out a loan to pay for books."

To me, you do seem greatful, not like you're "entitled" to something. I'm sure you do a great job.
NHKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:36 AM   #56
jonfinn

I tip at the gas dock if I can spare the money. To be perfectly honest, I save for my vacations every year. My annual "week on the lake" is a good way of peeling away all the stress!

Although I am very lucky I can afford to do it, I can BARELY afford to do it.

That means that with respect to tipping, I can only do it when I can do it (and I wish that were different).

Also, I have some close friends who are very wealthy. Many of them are more conservative than I with respect to tipping. I've learned that wealthy people get that way because they pay a lot of attention to their money.

Lastly, if I can't tip and the attendant clearly earned it, I will say so.
jonfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 11:05 AM   #57
kjbathe

Default Nothing negative

I think Laker06 ended up stating the right position. We all appreciate a little extra. The path that I think gets folks into trouble is when we assume that because someone can afford $100, they should be able to afford $102, or $105 or... That's never our call.

The time I spent working the gas dock is still near the top of my best gigs ever -- an hourly base rate plus 2 cents per gallon was incentive enough to hustle. I've never found another job where I could be outside, on the lake, radio on, reclined in a chair watching the boats go by, enjoying the sun, or the refreshing cool mornings in late August, taking a swim as wanted and making upwards of $20/hour with no manual labor or skill required at all (back when the pumps had handle locks, so we just had to plug them in and watch it go). It's good work if you can get it.

Enjoy every moment of it and we'll see you out there!
kjbathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 01:07 PM   #58
wildwoodfam

Wink "WORKING" at the gas docks....is a stretch....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose View Post
If you truly thought you were entitled, you'd be standing in front of the 50" plasma TV (not paid for by you) playing "Guitar Hero" (not paid for by you) on your Wii (not paid for by you) all summer, not working at a gas dock.
Isn't the term "working at a gas dock" a bit of an oxymoron....C'mon Rose, we've all had that "rigorous" summer job!

The second post from Laker06 was much better stated. I stand by my reaction to his initial post, but feel better about what he truly believes about tipping from the writings in his second post.

BTW - we always tip - unless there is a reason not to....but the summer workers get the benefit of the doubt from my family everytime! Be it - ice cream servers, waitrons, or even gas dock "workers"
wildwoodfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:03 PM   #59
Merrymeeting

As my son is working this summer as a dock attendant to cover his book and other college expense fees, I believe that the rule is that everyone should tip, early, late, often, and liberally. Especially if they are in Wolfeboro at a dock famous for its moving webcam!
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 08:28 AM   #60
Rattlesnake Guy

Laker06,
Your clarification has earned you the benefit of the doubt in my eyes. Taking the time to restate your feelings has probably saved a lot of withheld tips this summer. The fact that you want to use the money for books and not for party money says a lot about your upbringing and character. I am impressed.

I heard a great bumper sticker the other day on the radio. "The best way to take advantage of the system is hard work". I suspect that the vast majority of the customers you work with have worked very hard for what they have. I am glad to hear you are on that same path.

RG
Old 06-29-2008, 12:13 PM   #61
Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoodfam View Post
C'mon Rose, we've all had that "rigorous" summer job!
Alas, I never had a summer job. The only summer job I wanted was to be "the boy" at Ames Farm Inn (anyone who stayed there years ago will know what I'm talking about), but since I'm a girl and it was the late 70's/early 80's it wasn't going to happen. In protest, I got a permanent part time job in the town where I grew up.

By the way, being "the boy" at the Farm was definitely rigorous...my brother came out a very sinewy, strong son-of-a-gun by the end of the summer.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 07:07 PM   #62
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

What did you expect her to say,Rattlesnake guy?....that she was using the money for weed?.......of course she'll say the money is for books,caring for her aging parents...or maybe the church.She'll probably throw you a snarl if you interrupt her while she's texting her boyfriend.
Oh well, guess I'm a sucker because I always tip.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 01:55 PM   #63
Merrymeeting

Resurrecting this post in light of a conversation with my son earlier this week.

In the heat of last weekend, he and the other dock hands pumped over 2200 gallons of boat fuel on Saturday. One person received a small tip.

Clearly tipping at the gas dock is not widespread, certainly not as much as might be indicated in this thread.

Anticpating some of the comments that might be made on this,
  • None of the kids expect the tips or were complaining about it. I asked.
  • Despite some of the earlier notes to the contrary, this is minimum wage work. I know my son realizes he's lucky to be employed in this economy.
  • These kids do go out of their way to provide a high level of service. Helping with docking, meeting all with a pleasant greeting, caring well for repeat customers, etc.
  • They are hard working kids. In my son's case, to help him continue with his deans list accomplishments at school.
I recognize that we are in tough times. But I personally think it is sad that so few would think of tipping a dock hand. It is a lower-paid, service job, similar to a doorman or taxi driver. Why would the latter qualify and not the former?
Old 08-20-2009, 02:12 PM   #64
sa meredith

Default me

$5 each time...regardless of amount of fuel $50/$100/$150...always $5
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:08 PM   #65
ishoot308

Thanked 4,923 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith View Post
$5 each time...regardless of amount of fuel $50/$100/$150...always $5
Yup, pretty much my standard as well SA. These are good local kids and the help they provide with docking / undocking, pumping the gas on a hot day, cleaning up any spillage that may occur and just a simple pleasant greeting make the $5.00 tip money well spent in my opinion.

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:32 PM   #66
tc_mike

I also will always tip $5 during each trip to the marina.
tc_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:22 PM   #67
brk-lnt

I usually do $20.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:51 PM   #68
Mr. Moyer

Default at least $5

I am one of those people who tips at least $5 everytime and hell, I have the crappiest boat on the lake. This being said, I have never had a bad experience with a dockhand. They have always been polite and are mostly excited when I pull up to the pump. (I usually go to West Alton for my gas Great folks over there) Some of my generosity may be due to the fact that they are getting me at a good time. I mean I am on the boat out on the lake, there are few times that I am happier. Anyway, I don't care if the kids use the money for school books or drugs, that's thier business, but I do feel there is an obluigation to tip if the service is at least average, since many of these jobs build that into the compensation plan. MHO
Mr. Moyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:37 PM   #69
murph

I work at a marina and when i pump boats which isnt every day, any tip is greatly appreciated. From 2-20 dollars, money is money, and thats how we look at it. We pool our tips on the dock anyway so every little bit counts. We are very fortunate to have people willing to give a couple bucks to our college funds!
murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:47 PM   #70
BernerGuy

Default Never occured to me

It never did occur to me to tip at the pumps, though now I must agree with most of you that those those attendants could use it. Since I have been getting my gas all summer at the same spot from the same 2 persons, I will tip them as I do my postman or house keeper, I'll give them a nice "bonus" at the end of the season. Just to be sure they do not run off to school before the season ends, I will check with their employer to ensure I get it to them on time.
BernerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:08 PM   #71
jrc

Berner, do it this week!

Merrymeeting where does he work?

I tip $5 each time, given I spent $350 on gas last purchase, I should be tipping a little more. Especially considering that includes pumping out two tanks and some balancing act to fill the port fuel tank.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:09 PM   #72
Winnicandle

I always throw 5-10 bucks at least....Im in a good mood on the lake, and often these cute college chiks are very friendly!

Especially on the PWC - if they sit down while fueling, smile, and show some leg? - easy $10 baby!

BTW - those stupid tip jars at Dunkin Donuts, etc? I HATE those, in fact I will take change OUT of them if I need it to not break a large bill. I love doing that.
Winnicandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 06:25 AM   #73
Phantom

Well what's been posted here makes me feel good -- I have always been in the routine of giving the Dock Attendant $5 (or there abouts) -- yet in a way always felt as though I was being cheap at times and wondered if the attendant may be scoffing after my departure ....... given a fill up is anywhere from $100 - $150.

I'm glad to see I'm in the "norm" for amount
Old 08-21-2009, 08:25 AM   #74
Newbiesaukee

I also always tip 5-10 for the same reason everyone commented. The attendants perform a real service to me as opposed to some situations where the tipping is just expected. The attendants have always been very appreciative. Last year, I got gas at Y landing which is not one of my usual places, but the attendant refused the tip. He was a bit older and perhaps one of the managers, but it was a nice gesture. I asked him to take it and split it with the younger employees which he did truly reluctantly. It really is a pleasure to do business with most of the people in the area.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:31 AM   #75
rick35

I almost always make sure to have small bills on me when getting gas but a couple of times I only had my debit card. Anyone ever try to add a tip on their card?
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:55 PM   #76
Rattlesnake Guy

To be honest, I tip $3. It seems to be a reasonable balance between my cheapness and my appreciation for a job well done.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:04 PM   #77
Merrymeeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post

Merrymeeting where does he work?
JRC, he works at the Corinthian Yacht Club. I had attributed the lack of tips to the fact that it's a club and therefore the members might wait until the end of the year as suggested earlier. But, at the end of last summer, the tips were still few and far between.

Clearly I'm biased. Knowing my son and some of the others who work there, I doubt it is because of a lack of hustle or service attitiude. But I'm willing to accept that might be the case if some here have experience or stories to relate (either here or via PM). If the latter, it would be a good opportunity for a learning experience for them.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:18 PM   #78
jrc

Well not one of my usual spots, so I don't have any direct experience. The was thread about them charging more than average for a pump-out, that might mean grumpy people who take it out on him, especially if there gas prices are out of the norm as well.

Also if they cater to smaller boats or sailboats, the usuals might not spend a lot on gas. I don't think I'd tip much if I only bought $20-$40 of gas. Then again, it's a yacht club, some members may think their clubs dues are payment enough.

I hope things pick up for him.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:55 PM   #79
momof3

Default $ 3.00

I usually tip 3.00, sometimes 5.00, but I do wish I could do more, for my family it is the economy, we are putting 40.00/50.00 at a time because that is what we can afford this year. When things get better for us I would definitely tip more, we always go to Lakeport and the kids there are above and beyond nice,accomadating, etc....
momof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:00 PM   #80
JonLevis

The Manitou took $500 last week (for just over half a tank)...I am usually good for $20 or so when that happens. GO SOX!!!!!!!
JonLevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:03 PM   #81
trfour

Default Tip Whatever You Can....

Every Little bit helps! I've always been a generous tipper, though here now on a limited income in my old age and in this ever limited economy, tends to cramp my style.

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote