Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-20-2009, 01:24 PM   #1
Fishy Cover

Default Village Canvas Great Service

My boat cover is fraying where it goes over the top edge of the windshield, and my sister-in-law is here with her sewing machine, so I went to Village Canvas (279-6717) in Meredith today to ask for advice and purchase material to reinforce the affected area.

When I got there there was a sign that they were working at marinas and closed for the day but the door was open so I went in. There I met Bev Lapham III who was on his way to a marina but agreed to help me. He recommended a reinforcing material that they use when making custom tops. He grabbed a handful of strips of this material and gave them to me. He also gave me 2 bobbins of thread. When I asked how much? he said no charge-- I asked again if I could pay him and he refused.

I am deeply impressed with this attitude and thankful for his generosity. I had never met him before although I have had a lot of work done in the past by his father. Customer service is not dead and I strongly recommend him.

Last edited by Fishy Cover; 08-26-2009 at 05:21 PM.
Fishy Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:48 PM   #2
searay220

Thumbs up

Wow you scored. I've always found the people around the lake are soo much nicer than other places. My cover is doing the same thing.What were the strips made of just scrap sunbrella material??
searay220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 06:31 AM   #3
Fishy Cover

Default Strip Material

The material is black poly-something, thicker than the acrylic material that the top is made of.
Fishy Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:00 PM   #4
ghfromaltonbay

Default Handy tip

I don't know if this tip was in a thread last year, but we were given some good advice to extend the life of a boat cover. To prevent excess wear over the windshield, cut 3/4 of the way thru a styrofoam noodle down the length (like you would butterflying a shrimp) and place this over the top of the windshield before securing the boat cover. The noodle keeps the cover from rubbing on the sharp corners of the windshield frame.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:45 PM   #5
Gatto Nero

I went in to Village Canvas for a small job last year (so small I actually forgot what it was). The gentleman there looked at what needed to be done, he took the canvas from me and fixed it while I stood there. He also refused to take payment. I will most certainly go back when its time for a bigger job.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:44 PM   #6
Orion

Default great work at Village Canvas

I totally agree. Bev does a great job. I had a custom 6-piece full cabin top made for my boat last Fall and couldn't be happier. Nice quality work, great fit and quality materials. Price was very reasonable.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote