Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2012, 06:56 PM   #1
jazzman

Default Post Foundation Expert?

Does anyone know of post type foundation expert? I'm looking at an island property that has some possible foundation issues. Are there contractors out there that just do this sort of work or do general contractors just wing it?

I'm afraid in this case a DIY home builder winged it. It looks like there have been some erosion issues that have compromised the integrity of some of the concrete piers.
jazzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:35 AM   #2
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Barry Caswell in Wolfeboro specializes in that.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:37 AM   #3
codeman671

Being on an island you are going to need someone that is equipped to handle island work, otherwise you will be eating barge charges.

What exactly needs to be done? Is it precast piers or sonotubes? Jack up, support and replace?

I would contact Steve at ISS.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:14 AM   #4
jazzman

It's a odd place.... Someone built this huge deck for a house (actually a modest house, but decks on 4 sides and on 2 levels since the site is steep), but gave up before the house part. I think it's been sitting for a couple years now.

It's sonotube construction, but I fear the sonotubes are undersized and some are now tilted (maybe they weren't deep enough??? maybe they never started straight???). I hear the "building" failed inspection at this point and so it sits.

I don't know what people do about erosion on steep lots, but I think it's been a serious issue in a couple places on this one. At least what stands today looks to be ok from a DES perspective. It's all 50+ feet from the water and no damage seems to have occurred in the 50 foot buffer area.

Of course all building permits have expired now and the SPA rules have changed since it was started, so I'd guess I'm in for quite a lot of paperwork if I want to revive it. On the plus side it has a valid and state/town approved septic system.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:48 AM   #5
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

If the footings were sized correctly, enough were installed AND put in deep enough to be below the frost line then there shouldn't be any reason to see them moving. So something wasn't done right and therefore you're problem exists. Being on a steep grade with bad footings, !

Yeah you need to do your homework. Fixing the footings is the last of your concerns if what's there isn't grandfathered and you'd need to tear it down to meet current SPA guidelines. Since the building is partially finished could that be an issue? Dunno, but something I'd want to know right off the bat.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2012, 11:37 AM   #6
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Everyones comments are right on the Mark here.....

I think the big concern maybe, why are the piers failing. If it was a sano-tube installation, I would be concerned, that they where not installed down deep enough. Now that could be because the person doing the work didn't know any better, but it could also be because of ledge... you may find that correcting the issue gets $$$$ quick, if the digging isn't easy....

Was this place every complete? and was it ever issued an occupancy permit? If so grandfathering the structure shouldn't be much of a problem. However if the work was never completed, as outlined with the permits that have expired you could be looking at a bunch of paper work and legal costs.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:35 PM   #7
codeman671

It sounds like a nightmare to me... Are you sure you want to get into it?

Take it from one who built on an island, it gets expensive quickly. Every little thing that needs to be barged costs you, labor costs tend to be higher, etc.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:11 PM   #8
Just Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman View Post
It's a odd place.... Someone built this huge deck for a house (actually a modest house, but decks on 4 sides and on 2 levels since the site is steep), but gave up before the house part. I think it's been sitting for a couple years now.

It's sonotube construction, but I fear the sonotubes are undersized and some are now tilted (maybe they weren't deep enough??? maybe they never started straight???). I hear the "building" failed inspection at this point and so it sits.

I don't know what people do about erosion on steep lots, but I think it's been a serious issue in a couple places on this one. At least what stands today looks to be ok from a DES perspective. It's all 50+ feet from the water and no damage seems to have occurred in the 50 foot buffer area.

Of course all building permits have expired now and the SPA rules have changed since it was started, so I'd guess I'm in for quite a lot of paperwork if I want to revive it. On the plus side it has a valid and state/town approved septic system.
Is this on Rattlesnake Island? On the Broads side about in the middle. If so PM me.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:34 AM   #9
Sunbeam lodge

Quote:
Does anyone know of post type foundation expert? I'm looking at an island property that has some possible foundation issues. Are there contractors out there that just do this sort of work or do general contractors just wing it?

I'm afraid in this case a DIY home builder winged it. It looks like there have been some erosion issues that have compromised the integrity of some of the concrete piers.
Did you find someone to do the job and how did it turn out.
I have a problem with rotted timbers under a cottage and looking for someone to fix the problem.
Sunbeam lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:13 AM   #10
sky's

sonotubes most commonly come in 4 ft lengths and should be placed in the ground the entire 4 ft length which is below the frost line. in your case the way your describing this issue they most likely hit ledge and stopped there leaving the rest of the sonotube sticking out of the ground. what should have been done after determining that it was ledge is called pinning. very common practice in New Hampshire. We use a powerfull hammer drill and drill into the ledge and then use rebar with an expoxy to hold done the post. also we would use 6x6 post. if your ready to do this project pm me. we are starting a 8 week project very soon. best of luck.
sky's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:18 PM   #11
jazzman

We ran away and hid... We saw multiple Rattlesnake properties with this problem. We found one where the old piers had been pulled and replaced with 2 ft square pads that were probably only a foot thick... 3 guesses what happened to them too?

We're still working on our island purchase, but the one we're pretty close to buying has very nice 12" piers with between 6" and 12" sticking out of the ground. Of course we have no way of knowing how deep they are, but everything looks square and whoever built it had a pretty good idea which end of the hammer to hold.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:01 PM   #12
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
We ran away and hid... We saw multiple Rattlesnake properties with this problem. We found one where the old piers had been pulled and replaced with 2 ft square pads that were probably only a foot thick... 3 guesses what happened to them too?

We're still working on our island purchase, but the one we're pretty close to buying has very nice 12" piers with between 6" and 12" sticking out of the ground. Of course we have no way of knowing how deep they are, but everything looks square and whoever built it had a pretty good idea which end of the hammer to hold.
Yeah it's pretty amazing some of the places I looked at - scratched my head at what the person doing the work was thinking, then was in awe the place was still standing. Fairly common place on the islands to have interesting construction methods used, some are downright scary though. The footings are something not easily dealt with nor would I imagine cheap to fix. Sad thing is I'd seen a couple really nicely renovated places that were very well done, all for nothing as the footings were junk.

Keep up the search, you'll find the right place. When I bought mine it was a no brainer soon as I looked under the building and did a quick walk around! It's so worth it once you got it. As many on here have told me in the past as I was going through the process, there is NOTHING like being out there on the island. Only problem I have now is not thinking about it during the week at work!
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:12 PM   #13
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Only problem I have now is not thinking about it during the week at work!
That is why the forum is here- Therapy for the work week!
MAXUM (08-22-2012)
Old 08-22-2012, 04:05 AM   #14
Kerk

Smile Island Property FOR SALE

# 110 COW Is. In Orchard cove is for sale . Pretty flat lot !
Kerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:58 PM   #15
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerk View Post
# 110 COW Is. In Orchard cove is for sale . Pretty flat lot !
Listed with an agent or private sale?
Old 08-22-2012, 08:07 PM   #16
Kerk

Smile 110 Cow Island

Private at present but will probably list soon. Be there 8-23 P.M. kc
Kerk is offline   Reply With Quote