Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-03-2015, 06:23 AM   #1
TheProfessor

Default Electric Rate Increase 18%

"At its September 29 meeting, the NHEC Board of Directors approved increases effective with bills rendered November 1st for the Co-op Power and Regional Access Charge portions of members’ bills. As a result, the typical residential member using 500 kilowatt-hours (kWh) per month will see an overall bill increase of 18%, or $16.30 per month for the winter period, which ends April 30, 2016."

LINK

On another note, I got to speaking with one of the employees who works at one of the local wood fired power plants. I asked him about what effect the Northern pass would have on residential electric bills. His answer was that rates would go down. But also stated the lowering of rates his wood firing power plant would close as the rates would be too low for the wood fired power plant to continue to be competitive.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 06:52 AM   #2
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Eversource

AKA PSNH actually lower their rates. Oil and natural gas prices are down.
Old 10-03-2015, 07:15 AM   #3
AB_Monterey

NHEC is ridiculous.
AB_Monterey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 09:52 AM   #4
bigdog

I changed electric 'Supplier' a while back to the following:

North American Power and Gas, LLC
Phone: 888-313-9086
Phone: 203-663-9757

Lowered my rate considerable.

Eversource (AKA PSN), is the electric 'provider', and not the 'supplier', there is a difference !
bigdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 10:15 AM   #5
Merrymeeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
I changed electric 'Supplier' a while back to the following:

North American Power and Gas, LLC
Phone: 888-313-9086
Phone: 203-663-9757

Lowered my rate considerable.

Eversource (AKA PSN), is the electric 'provider', and not the 'supplier', there is a difference !
Wait until your first year is over. Then the NA Power bait and switch kicks in and your bill will be much higher
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2015, 10:37 AM   #6
DRH

Default Some Facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
"At its September 29 meeting, the NHEC Board of Directors approved increases effective with bills rendered November 1st for the Co-op Power and Regional Access Charge portions of members’ bills. As a result, the typical residential member using 500 kilowatt-hours (kWh) per month will see an overall bill increase of 18%, or $16.30 per month for the winter period, which ends April 30, 2016."
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
[Eversource] AKA PSNH actually lower their rates. Oil and natural gas prices are down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AB_Monterey View Post
NHEC is ridiculous.
TheProfessor's information is correct, but it doesn't appear that BroadHopper's statement is accurate.

According to Eversource's (formerly PSNH) website, the company is forecasting that its rate will rise from $.0898/kWh at present to $.1039/kWh (+15.7%) for the upcoming winter season.

Both Eversource and NHEC state on their respective websites that more than 50% of the electrical power generated in New England uses natural gas. And both company's websites state that although the wellhead price of natural gas is currently low, the lack of adequate pipeline capacity into New England will cause delivered natural gas prices to rise significantly during the winter months due to demand exceeding supply capacity.

Unless I am missing something, both companies are forecasting somewhat lower overall monthly electrical bills this winter than last winter, but at higher /kWh rates than at present. In fact, NHEC is forecasting that the typical residential customer will see their monthly bills fall by 4.5% below last winter, while Eversource is forecasting that its customers will see a 1.7% monthly reduction from last winter.

It's true that NHEC is forecasting higher /kWh rates for the upcoming winter than is Eversource, but (based on the company's own websites), NHEC's current power rate is $.0870 while Eversource's is $.0898.

Last edited by DRH; 10-04-2015 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Corrected decimal point error in /kWh rates.
DRH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DRH For This Useful Post:
mcdude (10-04-2015), upthesaukee (10-03-2015)
Old 10-03-2015, 11:21 AM   #7
noreast

My home in Litchfield is in the path of the Kinder Morgan pipeline, We may be the only one forced to relocate. We need as many pipelines as we can get. unfortunately NH will not benefit from this one at all. supposedly wood will be high because of Cali. Are they assuming we will have a warmer winter? God I hope so.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 12:27 PM   #8
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post
Wait until your first year is over. Then the NA Power bait and switch kicks in and your bill will be much higher
Yup, been there. Not to mention the savings is only on the generation, not the distribution and it really doesn't add up to all that much.
Old 10-03-2015, 01:57 PM   #9
tis

Thanked 1,380 Times in 956 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreast View Post
My home in Litchfield is in the path of the Kinder Morgan pipeline, We may be the only one forced to relocate. We need as many pipelines as we can get. unfortunately NH will not benefit from this one at all. supposedly wood will be high because of Cali. Are they assuming we will have a warmer winter? God I hope so.
Oh no! I feel so sorry for you!!! Are they offering you are fair price for your property? That concerns me.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 03:15 PM   #10
tummyman

Buried in the rates will be the costs for removing all the trees and branches by a most INEFFICIENT fleet of tree contractors.
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 05:54 PM   #11
songkrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreast View Post
Take the money and run. Hire an appraiser and take top dollar.
Then get a nice new house built. Wish they would run the pipeline through my property/home.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 06:04 PM   #12
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by songkrai View Post
Take the money and run. Hire an appraiser and take top dollar.
Then get a nice new house built. Wish they would run the pipeline through my property/home.
You make it sound so easy.. If only it worked that way!!
Old 10-03-2015, 06:42 PM   #13
noreast

Were really not sure yet how it's going to shake out. We may be left with a property with out trees and unable to add structures or additions. In other words, very hard to sell. The compensation may not be enough for me to want the house after that. Also we have a small culdesac community who are all very close. Just attended a neighbors daughters wedding last night, My wife never wants to move, All of our children have grown up together so it's not as easy as it sounds. My youngest has 2 more years at high school, so hopefully we won't have to do anything before that. I joined this forum because I've been trying to convince my wife to buy a 2nd (or 1st now) home up there instead of the Maine cost. We have many friends and family on the lake, some of whom we live there more than they do. we spend much time at Winni. Even if the house is taken, fair market value is what we've been told to expect, so there is no good deal. I haven't spoken to a lawyer yet, but I believe the route will be approved. We'll see. Sorry to take thread off topic, I'll open another thread in the future. Thanks all.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 06:53 AM   #14
tis

Sorry to continue to take this off topic also but want to wish you good luck. Having gone through this ourselves it is a miserable process, in our case we were not offered even close to what our property was worth. The whole appeal process is awful. Fortunately the town voted down the deal so we were saved anyway with going through the whole appeal process. But it still costs us a lot of money.
PM me if you want to know more.

And now back to NHEC rates. The company who charges $20 before you even buy any electricity.
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
noreast (10-04-2015)
Old 10-04-2015, 07:09 AM   #15
bigdog

Question, and not to get off track.....

Is there any charges built into NHEC rates to provide services to folks in outlining areas where
service is limited or hard to reach ? I think those charges were buried into the Federal taxes somewhere ?

I seem to remember this was the case with Telephone company, burying charges into the Federal taxes, for this same purpose?

Just curious.....
bigdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 07:24 AM   #16
wifi

I was looking into building a house about a half a mile from a NHEC pole. They wanted $30/FOOT plus an easement.... no thanks.
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 10:37 AM   #17
Orion

Default oops

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRH View Post
According to Eversource's (formerly PSNH) website, the company is forecasting that its rate will rise from $8.98/kWh at present to $10.39/kWh (+15.7%) for the upcoming winter season..........

It's true that NHEC is forecasting higher /kWh rates for the upcoming winter than is Eversource, but (based on the company's own websites), NHEC's current power rate is $8.70 while Eversource's is $8.98.

Methinks you have a decimal error. My last NHEC bill had $0.12977/kWh (13 cents) plus a monthly flat member service charge of $27.82
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Orion For This Useful Post:
DRH (10-04-2015)
Old 10-04-2015, 01:39 PM   #18
DRH

Default Right You Are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post

Methinks you have a decimal error. My last NHEC bill had $0.12977/kWh (13 cents) plus a monthly flat member service charge of $27.82
Orion - you are absolutely correct. I just edited my original post to fix the error. Thanks for picking that up.