Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2013, 10:03 AM   #1
PaugusBayFireFighter

Default Recycle Laconia!...maybe not?

Last winter there were notices sent out in Laconia saying any homes not recycling would not receive trash pick up. I thought that was a great way for me and anyone else not recycling to start. I went to the public works dept. in Laconia and got all the info from a friendly employee. He explained that Laconia's plan was to eventually make a profit from the materials and lessen the burden on the landfills and environment. Great, I thought, I'll jump on board and do my part. I grabbed the free green bin and purchased a large recycling barrel with wheels.
So, all summer I was the recycling guy for the homes! I found myself digging recycles out of my trash that friends and family accidently throw away. I really got into it.

Our trash is picked up on Monday mornings. Recycling is every other week. I put my trash and recycle bins out last night. This morning I heard the truck backing up my road, the back up alarm at 7am is a good indication the trash guys are here. I wondered who would take the aluminum lawn chairs I placed between the recycle and trash bins. I watched them put the trash/garbage bin in the lifter that dumps the trash into the truck. I then saw them pick up the chairs. I thought, OK, the trash guys took the chairs instead of the recycle truck. Then, not suprising to me, they dumped ALL the recycle stuff in the same truck as the trash

Maybe I'm confused. Is this the way it's done? They make you seperate everything into bins and then dump it all in the same truck?
Needless to say, I'm not thrilled about recycling in Laconia anymore. That was a huge let down. I'll still do my part, but I won't be digging in the trash or keeping an ugly green bin in the house.
Just plain stupid.
PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaugusBayFireFighter For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (12-02-2013)
Old 12-02-2013, 11:40 AM   #2
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Laconia DPW

It is to my understanding anything left outside the recycle bin is considered trash. You can recycle larger items in back of the Lakeport Fire Dept. and the DPW garage on Messer St.

It is kind of a pain to get a permit from the city hall in order to use the transfer station. Since I have property elsewhere, if I happen to be in the vicinity of the other transfer stations it is easier for me to go there. Laconia lost out in selling recycled items.

My association decided to have Waste Management install a 6 ton recycle bin on the premise. It provide great results as it pays for itself and pocket change. The home owners find it much easier to use and to dispose large recycle items. A tip for other associations.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:56 AM   #3
HellRaZoR004

Hmm...I had to think about this for a second. But it's most likely a divided truck like below.

HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:13 PM   #4
PaugusBayFireFighter

I thought that too. I will give it the benefit of doubt and hope I didn't see what I am pretty sure happened. I'll pay closer attention next time.
It's not a real big deal and I'm sure, if this is the practice, I wouldn't be the first to notice it. If they are combining trash and recycle stuff together someone will catch on. I hope I am wrong, and if I am, I'll be the first to post a mea culpa!
Old 12-02-2013, 01:47 PM   #5
Chickie

Default Recycling

I would suggest you phone DPW and express your concern. The city has been making a concerted effort to get more people to recycle and if this is happening they would want to know. I suspect some of the trucks are set up with dividers to serve a dual purpose. Let us know what you find out.
Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2013, 03:38 PM   #6
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Here's a link to their recycling program

If I read it right, there is single stream recycling, which means you do not have to sort, and there is curbside recycling every other week, that started in July of this year.

Worst case scenario, call Ann Saltmarsh at 528-6379 for clarification. I am sure she will help you.

http://www.city.laconia.nh.us/index.php/departments/publicworks-inside/solid-waste-2/recycling
Old 12-02-2013, 03:44 PM   #7
fpartri497

for 3-4 yrs Concord has had whats called two streamed recycle,separate ur garbage, week last year they went to single stream recycle no more separating glass cans and plastic. still have to purple bag garbage

Old 12-02-2013, 06:50 PM   #8
PaugusBayFireFighter

It is single stream recycling and that makes it easier for a city guy to evolve and go green!
I'm not 100% sure there was any wrong doing after seeing the divided truck picture. The big thing that stuck out was there had always been two separate trucks that each picked up either trash or recycle bins. Today it was a single truck taking everything. It's always possible they upgraded their fleet.
I will ask someone at the public works dept. while I'm out getting the .50 cent ice bubbler permit.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:23 PM   #9
dt5150

we have 2 different trucks that pick ours up.
dt5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 02:08 PM   #10
Just Sold

Make sure you mark the recycle barrels "cleary"

From the Laconia Link Uppy posted:
Please cleary mark your container "RECYCLING" so that it is not mistaken for your trash container, or pick up a recycling decal at DPW headquarters on 27 Bisson Ave.

Last edited by Just Sold; 12-03-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Just Sold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:28 PM   #11
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Sold View Post
Make sure you mark the reecycle barrels "cleary"

From the Laconia Link Uppy posted:
Please cleary mark your container "RECYCLING" so that it is not mistaken for your trash container, or pick up a recycling decal at DPW headquarters on 27 Bisson Ave.

I think they mispeled that.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:05 PM   #12
chipj29

Believe it or not, sometimes it is cheaper for the trash companies to consolidate garbage and recyclables and take it all to the incinerator. It all depends on pricing.