Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 11-14-2013, 08:32 AM   #1
fatlazyless

Default ...got wack-a-doozie heat?

Not everybody lives in a nice modern, designer home complete with luxurious radiant heat installed into the floor that keeps you warm and comfy all winter long.

So, what to do?

Well, here is one easy quik-fix that works great and is relatively low-priced and could very well allow you to lower your heat thermostat while you are sleeping.

An electric heated mattress pad cover that gets placed between the mattress, and the existing mattress cover. Made by Sunbeam in four sizes; twin-full-queen-king for prices from about 30 to 80-dollars, and locally available at the huge Wal-Mart in Tilton, NH.

Could be just the item as a complimentary heat item for the seasonal cottage because they work super-duper, and while u r en-tombed in your warm, comfy bed....maybe you want to lower the heat in the house to save on the pricey oil or propane?

www.sunbeam.com/heated-bedding
Old 11-14-2013, 08:49 AM   #2
fpartri497

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Not everybody lives in a nice modern, designer home complete with luxurious radiant heat installed into the floor that keeps you warm and comfy all winter long.

So, what to do?

Well, here is one easy quik-fix that works great and is relatively low-priced and could very well allow you to lower your heat thermostat while you are sleeping.

An electric heated mattress pad cover that gets placed between the mattress, and the existing mattress cover. Made by Sunbeam in four sizes; twin-full-queen-king for prices from about 30 to 80-dollars, and locally available at the huge Wal-Mart in Tilton, NH.

Could be just the item as a complimentary heat item for the seasonal cottage because they work super-duper, and while u r en-tombed in your warm, comfy bed....maybe you want to lower the heat in the house to save on the pricey oil or propane?

www.sunbeam.com/heated-bedding
I agree 100 % FLL. I have had one on my bed for years. Love,love It

Old 11-14-2013, 08:53 AM   #3
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

We have dual control mattress pad heaters both at camp and at home. They get used every cold night, great product. I think that ours are not Sunbeam brand but the same idea.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:33 AM   #4
HellRaZoR004

FLL, I thnk my roommate uses one of them b/c I leave the heat setting low. And he doesn't like to open his door to let the heat from the woodstove in when it's going.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:03 AM   #5
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Heat pad uses electricity.

So I do what my grandmother tells me to do.

Flannel sheets! Nothing can be any warmer.

Down Comforter! Feels nice and cozy without the bulk!

You will be surprise how inexpensive these items are online.

Save electricity!
Old 11-14-2013, 11:06 AM   #6
Barney Bear

Default Heated Matress Pad

Mama Bear and I have enjoyed the comfort of a heated matress pad at our East Bear Island "den" for several years. We also have one at our home "lair" as well.
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:05 PM   #7
Lakegeezer

We've used them for years too. Before moving here full time, we'd leave the house thermostat set to 50 degrees during the week, so the mattress was cold when we'd arrive. Part of our "open up" procedure was to turn the mattress pads to "full blast", and all was fine by the time we'd go to bed. Now, we use them on low, while leaving the bedroom thermostat to 62. Works out great. The only concern is the electromagnetic waves we are absorbing from the pad.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:18 PM   #8
loony

we shut the heat off in our home for the winter, but go up a few times to ski.

we usually go up on a Friday night, turn on the heat, stoke up the wood stove and turn on the heated mattress pad AND electric blanket. kinda like an electric blanket sandwich. We then go to our favorite bar for a few hours and when we come back our bed is toasty warm. The mattress stays cold for a long time and the heated pad is necessary to keep our butts from freezing.
We do this for the 1st night only as it takes at about 12 hours for the place to warm up comfortably
loony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:02 PM   #9
ishoot308

Thanked 4,937 Times in 1,913 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by loony View Post
we shut the heat off in our home for the winter, but go up a few times to ski.

we usually go up on a Friday night, turn on the heat, stoke up the wood stove and turn on the heated mattress pad AND electric blanket. kinda like an electric blanket sandwich. We then go to our favorite bar for a few hours and when we come back our bed is toasty warm. The mattress stays cold for a long time and the heated pad is necessary to keep our butts from freezing.
We do this for the 1st night only as it takes at about 12 hours for the place to warm up comfortably
That's exactly what I do loony when using the island camp for ice fishing during the winter. It takes a long time to warm up a mattress when the house has been 20 degrees for who knows how long. Even when the indoor air temp finally reaches a comfortable level, that matress is still very cold!!

Dan
Old 11-14-2013, 06:37 PM   #10
Chaselady

I don't want to be a kill-joy, but a word of warning about electric blankets...
I went to bed one cold winter day, after working a long night shift, and put the electric blanket on. I fell into a deep sleep. A while later I thought I smelled smoke. I looked around and didn't see anything so fell back to sleep. I woke up again because a stronger smell of smoke. Sitting up in bed I saw the blanket scorching through and smoking.
Chaselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:08 AM   #11
SIKSUKR

Why not do it without electricity like the "old days"?
Attached Images

Old 11-15-2013, 11:53 AM   #12
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Right, no chance of fire with that approach!
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:41 AM   #13
Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaselady View Post
... Sitting up in bed I saw the blanket scorching through and smoking.
A heating pad is much more durable than an electric blanket because it doesn't get folded or rolled up. The worse thing for an e/b is to get folded up and then sat on or stored under a stack of other blankets.

Electric pads are more efficient too. Heat rises and is contained by your bed covers. More of the heat from an electric blanket will dissipate above you. Also, zone control on a pad is more effective since the pad will usually stay put all night long.

Last edited by Kamper; 11-17-2013 at 09:06 AM. Reason: sp
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:40 PM   #14
Island Girl

Default Benn using them for years

I have the electric mattress pads on all of my beds on the island and at home. I never liked those stiff electric blankets. We "turn on the bed" an hour or so before bed.

I especially like the fact that the feet are warmer than the rest of the bed.

They are indispensable on Aero beds which are always cold.

Watch for sales and pik the, up cheap.

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:53 PM   #15
kauriel

Sometimes Christmas Tree Shop has them on sale. I think I paid about $30 for a King sized dual-control one a few years ago. Kohl's is advertising a twin and full heated mattress pads for $29.99 on Black Friday plus get $15 Kohl's cash for every $50 spent!
kauriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:21 PM   #16
pcmc

Heating blankets are the reason arc fault breakers are required in bed rooms. Most likely the reason a smoke detector is required in each bed room also.
Be careful these blankets and pads can be dangerous.
The wires can only be bent back and forth so many times before they become a weak link.

Just my .02
pcmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:23 AM   #17
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
We've used them for years too. Before moving here full time, we'd leave the house thermostat set to 50 degrees during the week, so the mattress was cold when we'd arrive. Part of our "open up" procedure was to turn the mattress pads to "full blast", and all was fine by the time we'd go to bed. Now, we use them on low, while leaving the bedroom thermostat to 62. Works out great. The only concern is the electromagnetic waves we are absorbing from the pad.

Years ago I used an electric blanket all the time and loved it. Because of all the horror stories of those electromagnetic waves and how bad they are for you I stopped using it. I do still use a heating pad sometimes on my head when I have a real bad headache but that is it.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:29 AM   #18
nhboat61

When I get tot the house on Friday's torn on the electric heat to get the chill out and turn on the pellet stove.

By the time the pellet stove is crankin, the electric goes off. By wake up time, 62-64 comfy degrees.

Do not like electric blankets, fought too many fires caused by them in my day.
nhboat61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:13 AM   #19
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauriel View Post
Sometimes Christmas Tree Shop has them on sale. I think I paid about $30 for a King sized dual-control one a few years ago. Kohl's is advertising a twin and full heated mattress pads for $29.99 on Black Friday plus get $15 Kohl's cash for every $50 spent!
Yeah theres a fire waiting to happen. Buying something like that at Christmas Tree and shipped direct from China. I won't buy my dog things from that store.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:49 AM   #20
fatlazyless

...after reading about the fire related problems, I checked the control dial gizmo that comes with the Sunbeam mattress pad, and it is made in China, and it does not have an Under Writers U.L. safety insignia on it ..... which is not very encouraging....so maybe getting another smoke alarm would be smart ...you know a simple battery smoke alarm now sells for about four dollars at Wal-Mart and is just about four inches diameter plus a best quality duracell battery seems like a smart thing to do...
Old 11-20-2013, 08:25 AM   #21
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
...after reading about the fire related problems, I checked the control dial gizmo that comes with the Sunbeam mattress pad, and it is made in China, and it does not have an Under Writers U.L. safety insignia on it ..... which is not very encouraging....so maybe getting another smoke alarm would be smart ...you know a simple battery smoke alarm now sells for about four dollars at Wal-Mart and is just about four inches diameter plus a best quality duracell battery seems like a smart thing to do...
I bet that smoke detector from Wallyworld comes direct from China too!!
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:21 AM   #22
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
I bet that smoke detector from Wallyworld comes direct from China too!!
...checked the label on the smoke alarm and .....goodness!!! ..... u r correct! ....a Kidde smoke alarm from North Carolina, Made in China, about 4" diameter x 1 1/4" deep comes with a Kidde 9v battery, a detachable mounting plate, two #8 x 3/4" ss pan head screws, dated August 14, 2013, it says to replace it in ten years, and cost just under four dollars at Wal-Mart ......how about that!

....and for just 3.94 each....what a super-duper stocking stuffer, buddy!
Old 12-04-2013, 08:18 AM   #23
ApS

Question Dunno...

As for fires "reported" from electric blankets, I'd first check if the victim was an embarrassed smoker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Years ago I used an electric blanket all the time and loved it. Because of all the horror stories of those electromagnetic waves and how bad they are for you I stopped using it. I do still use a heating pad sometimes on my head when I have a real bad headache but that is it.
As I've always felt the cold so, as an adult—I've used electric blankets almost every night—year-round.

I don't know if my annoying—but not particularly intrusive—condition known as peripheral neuropathy was contributed to by a lifetime use of electric blankets. Peripheral neuropathy is a relatively common condition affecting the covering of the nerves in the extremities. (Nerves being the "electrical system" of the body). Some chemotherapy treatments result in peripheral neuropathy.

Do electric blankets warm persons through the wiring carrying AC or DC electricity?

Alternating Current has what are called standing waves which, at high voltage, can be detected from many yards away. 'Course, there are primary causes of peripheral neuropathy—metals poisoning, for example—but when I asked my doctor, he brushed that electric blanket theory aside with a smile.

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:11 AM   #24
8gv

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post

I saw one of those at an auction Monday. I assumed it was for cooking over a fire. So it's really a bed heater?
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:31 AM   #25
SIKSUKR

Yup. Yee ole bed warmer.