Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

View Poll Results: How many "Hours" have you put on the Boat this Season
Less than 25 hours 73 35.61%
25 - 49 hours 68 33.17%
50 - 74 hours 35 17.07%
75 - 99 hours 14 6.83%
100 - 149 hours 13 6.34%
150+ hours (a.k.a.- Extreme Boat Enthusiast) 2 0.98%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-16-2009, 07:44 AM   #1
Phantom

Default Boating Hours

Thought it would be interesting to try and establish this years "Average" engine hours.

We are closing in on 100 hours which we will easily make by Columbus Day (our last boating day). A lot of hours - yes- Yet this is down from years past where our average was closer to 125+ hrs. We find ourselves doing much more "destination" boating than "aimlessly cruising".

How about you ?
Old 09-16-2009, 11:07 AM   #2
chipj29

Less than 25 for me. I boated fewer hours for one reason-weather. The following are NOT reasons for me boating fewer hours:
-Safety
-Fear
-Economy
-Price of gas
-Cost of tea in China
Old 09-16-2009, 12:19 PM   #3
Pineedles

Default Zero Hours

I didn't even put the jetski in this summer. Too costly.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:15 PM   #4
ossipeeboater

tough summer between my kids baseball and soccer, didn't get my first full weekend at the lake till July 18th and done the 23rd of August, rode my jet ski 2 or 3 times and got out on the pontoon maybe 8 times so I'm figuring right around 20 hours.
ossipeeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:30 PM   #5
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Just a bad boating year all around

We where way off our average this year.

Engine repair problems due to ethanol fuel issues The boat was out of service for 3 weeks.

Rain, Rain, Rain...

We did have a few real nice sunset trips in August, but all said, I'd give this year a 2 on a scale of 10. ( Or 1 on a scale of 5 )

The very best thing about this year was... the boat is 12 months closer to being paid off.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:32 AM   #6
Phantom

Interesting Results thus far --

Way more people under 25 hours than I would have guessed -

Keep the votes coming people
Old 09-17-2009, 06:54 AM   #7
Dave R

Average year for me. About 56 so far. Probably another 5 or 6 and it'll be over. We were very selective about our boating days and had an excellent season. Boat ran great too.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:45 AM   #8
Lakewinn1

Smile Boating Hours

About average for us 55-60 with a few weeks remaining. August weather allowed us to make up for rainy June and July. Taking the kids and grandkids wakeboarding and tubing helped get the hours back to the "normal" range.
Lakewinn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 04:49 PM   #9
Wolfeboro_Baja

I chose less than 25 hrs but in actuality, it will probably end up being right around 25-30 hrs this year which is similar to last year and is below average for my wife and I. Between the bad weather last year and this year, plus some other unforeseen problems the cropped up this year, we just haven't towed up to the lake that much these past 2 years.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:29 PM   #10
WeirsBeachBoater

Edit, Misjudged the hours the first time I am def over 150 this year. 133.3 at work and then add in many more at play.

Last edited by WeirsBeachBoater; 09-30-2009 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Miscalculated
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:58 PM   #11
Weekend Pundit

Unhappy We Were Way Under Our Usual Hours

We usually get between 100 to 200 hours in each year, but this year we haven't quite broken 50 hours on the Hobbes meter. Our boat went in over Memorial Day weekend and we got a few hours in then, but wet weather in June and July kept us off the lake during times we would normally have ventured out onto Winnipesaukee. Other obligations (work and school) didn't allow us to make up as much time as we would have liked during August and September. Last year our boating hours were down as well, with the regular afternoon thunderstorms preventing our usual after work jaunts onto the lake.
Weekend Pundit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:55 AM   #12
ApS

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
Less than 25 for me. I boated fewer hours for one reason-weather. The following are NOT reasons for me boating fewer hours:
-Safety
-Fear
-Economy
-Price of gas
-Cost of tea in China
1) Crowding is definitely down, but that's been a trend for some years now.

2) I see Weekends are not listed.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:11 AM   #13
NoBozo

First ride in the boat this year was August 14. 11.6 hours on the clock so far. Last year it was 17.9 hours total. We usually only use the boat for two weeks vacation the last few years. Besides that...Where to go.. What to do?? Been there done that. Other than go out to dinner by boat, all we seem to do any more is go for gas. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:13 AM   #14
OCDACTIVE

12 hours for me until engine blew. maybe another 5 on the party boat.. but seriously the weather kept me inside most of the summer, then after July I didn't head up to the lake too much for life just got very very busy... hopefully next year I can get it to 100...
Old 10-22-2009, 10:12 AM   #15
fpartri497

Default Hrs. on boat

This year I got about 50 Hrs. between the rain In june,july and the high wind In august. And that was split between two boats. bought a new 4-Winns In july.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:05 PM   #16
Airwaves

Quote:
Originally posted by APS
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29
-Safety
-Fear
-Economy
-Price of gas
-Cost of tea in China

I did some research after labor day and according to the NWS during the first two months of the traditional boating season...June 1 to Aug 3, there were only 14 boating days! I describe a boating day as not raining and with a temperature of 70 or above!
I didn't bother to break it down into how many of those 14 days in that 64 day period fell on weekends. Yep, the new law is playing a major role heh?
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 04:18 PM   #17
VtSteve

Default Interesting to look at 2005

APS had turned me on to this thread http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ead.php?t=2357

It seems silly to talk about weather and gas prices given the level of discourse over this year's boating.

We had folks thinking the lack of boating activity was due to

1) Weather
2) gas prices
3) water quality?
4) Lake is too crowded

Mind you, this was in 2005. Now that was in a pretty good economy year.

This year, a wicked bad economy, high unemployment, probably the same or higher gas prices than in 2005 (?) and very, very bad weather.

Not too much of a perception issue.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 07:11 AM   #18
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post

what do you mean weekends are not listed?
Old 10-23-2009, 07:40 AM   #19
Jerry007

Smile Boating Hours

We logged 63 hours this year, our 8th season on the lake. This was about average for us. Major factors influencing us this year were; new boat, Larson Cabrio Cruiser and most importantly new marina. The weather was a challenge.
Our usual docking spot in Alton Bay was not available and we ended up at the West Alton Marina. Wow! This was an awesome move for us. The staff were very friendly and our fellow boaters are extremely nice.
To me it's not how many hours you run your engines, but how much you enjoy the pleasure of hanging out with friends. Boating should be measured in quality of time spent above all other factors.
Jerry007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jerry007 For This Useful Post:
VtSteve (10-23-2009)
Old 10-23-2009, 10:28 AM   #20
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeirsBeachBoater View Post
Edit, Misjudged the hours the first time I am def over 150 this year. 133.3 at work and then add in many more at play.
WBB, now not that you don't throughly enjoy your time on the water at work.... but that just not fair for the rest of us!!!!!!!!!!! You have an unfair advantage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Foul Foul!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-27-2009, 05:57 PM   #21
Cal

Worst season in years. Mostly weather, lost two weekends due to trans. in tow vehicle taking a dump and a few more weekends to rainy saturdays and family functions on sunday.
Total 11 hours.
Norm 40 to 50
Old 10-27-2009, 06:51 PM   #22
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
First ride in the boat this year was August 14. 11.6 hours on the clock so far. Last year it was 17.9 hours total. We usually only use the boat for two weeks vacation the last few years. Besides that...Where to go.. What to do?? Been there done that. Other than go out to dinner by boat, all we seem to do any more is go for gas. NB
I forgot to mention...I had another minor problem during vacation this year which slowed things down a bit: Water in the cylinders on the port side causing rough idling. (Small block V8) Had to replace the exhaust manifold and riser. Elected NOT to do that during vacation so we sat on the dock the second week.

I replaced the manifold and riser after vacation. It runs fine now......but vacation was a wash.

BTW: Fay's got the new Mercruiser manifold and riser from Connecticut in about 16 hours from the time I ordered it. Door to Door. I like Fay's. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 04:26 PM   #23
Wolfeboro_Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE View Post
........[snip].......hopefully next year I can get it to 100...
OCD, is that engine hours or MPH???? nudge, nudge, wink, wink.....

Heck, I'd be happy to get my usage up to 50 hrs!
OCDACTIVE (10-28-2009)
Old 10-28-2009, 09:07 PM   #24
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfeboro_Baja View Post
OCD, is that engine hours or MPH???? nudge, nudge, wink, wink.....

Heck, I'd be happy to get my usage up to 50 hrs!
next year it will be hopefully will get my usage there as well.. Double it both ways.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:23 AM   #25
ApS

Default Weekends not listed...and thanks, WBB...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeirsBeachBoater View Post
In case anyone has been missing this—as I have been—WBB "drives" the lake's largest watercraft. Actually, he navigates it to perfection!

On several occasions, when a total collapse of wind brings my unpowered sailboat to a halt, I've seen WBB alter course to avoid me—from a mile away! "Many-thanks" are due from your passengers AND me for having such an attentive skipper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
what do you mean weekends are not listed?
1) Sorry for the tardy reply. I overlooked not only your response, but missed the appearance of my own reply as well!

2) I also failed to respond to the poll as I was not finished boating and lost track of the poll's deadline. (And don't have an hour-meter on my sailboat, anyway).

However, after our epic rains of 40 days and 40 nights, I started to keep a log.

3) Among your reasons for NOT boating, were:

-Safety
-Fear
-Economy
-Price of gas
-Cost of tea in China

I regard weekends as a reason to not go boating! (And there are previous threads that show that others see it the same way).

If winds are right, I'll go out at 7:30AM, but retire from boating at about 10:30AM—on weekends only. Other boaters at that hour are usually attentive to smaller boats, but the boating "demographic" rapidly changes after about 10:30AM—on weekends in particular.

To your specified suggestions of "safety", "fear", "economy", and "price of gas", how many participants in this poll can give answers for a full season of weekdays-only boating?

(I can).
Old 10-29-2009, 09:40 AM   #26
robmac

With 70s forecast for Sat. I'll be putting in again for another day of boating then winterize again. Can't let a great weather day go without going it was after all not a very long season with the weather in June & July.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:10 PM   #27
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts
Default Good year

We're still in- I think the only boat left in the Suissevale docks. I hope to get 3-4 more engine hours in. We will almost make 60 this year.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:02 PM   #28
Wolfeboro_Baja

Quote:
I regard weekends as a reason to not go boating! (And there are previous threads that show that others see it the same way).
Your (and their) loss!! The only thing that keeps me from boating on a weekend is bad weather or a prior social commitment.

Quote:
To your specified suggestions of "safety", "fear", "economy", and "price of gas", how many participants in this poll can give answers for a full season of weekdays-only boating?

(I can).
Good for you! What was the point? How many people can say they live on the lake and are fully retired so they have nothing else to do except enjoy the lake, all day any day?? I don't live on the lake, I'm about 50 minutes drive time away so that eliminates the possibility of taking an evening cruise. Even if I did live there, I'm not retired yet so I'm working during the day when you're out sailing and/or boating. Honestly, you make it sound like the only people that deserve to be on YOUR lake are retirees!!

If people are afraid to do something in life, perhaps they should not do that something. Afraid the jet might crash? Don't fly. Afraid the bungee cord might break? Don't bungee jump. Afraid someone might crash into you on the interstate? Stay off the interstate. There are risks involved in doing just about anything; either accept those risks or stay away but don't create useless "feel good" laws because you fear something might happen! Yes, crap happens.....buck up and deal with it!
gtagrip (10-30-2009), VitaBene (10-31-2009)
Old 10-30-2009, 07:03 PM   #29
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmac View Post
With 70s forecast for Sat. I'll be putting in again for another day of boating then winterize again. Can't let a great weather day go without going it was after all not a very long season with the weather in June & July.
I was wondering where good weather would be this weekend. When I checked, the forecast for Laconia for Saturday was a high of 62 and some rain. Sunday better, but a high of 53.

I brought some work home
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 07:59 AM   #30
NoRegrets

I am sitting in my galley right now and getting ready to take the kayak out for a quick spin around the islands in Pagus Bay. After that we will take a slow cruise to take in the ever changing foliage. Less leaves this week but still beautiful. We are fortunite to have a slip in the Irwin main building and they really cater to us.

We did not run the engine hours as much this year but we did plenty of anchoring and rafting.

APS - Congrats on having the luxury to only boat on weekdays! We are normal weekend warriors and do not let the crouds keep us away. We have found many places to explore and stop that seem to stay isolated. This year was definitely different than the past 9 years judged by us being able to get through the Weirs channel with virtually no queuing during peak hours.
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote