Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2009, 11:52 AM   #1
Nauset

Default Wolfeboro boat show

Does anyone have info on the Wolfeboro antique and classic boat show for this year? I checked all the online calendars and did not see anything.
Thanks
Nauset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:31 PM   #2
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Talking Wolfeboro Vintage Race Boat Regatta

September 16-19, 2009

Wolfeboro Vintage Race Boat Regatta

The past will come alive as some of the best known race boats of bygone eras return to Wolfeboro, for our sixth Wolfeboro Vintage Race Boat Regatta. Wolfeboro is now a major stop on the APBA Vintage Race Boat Circuit, and this summer's regatta expands to 4 full days, and includes over 70 vintage race boats running demonstration laps on a 1 mile oval course on beautiful Wolfeboro Bay.

On Board the Winnipesaukee Belle!!! - For a $10 donation to the New Hampshire Boat Museum, guests may view the heats from inside the race course on the Wolfeboro Bay. This beautiful sidewheeler will go out in the morning and in the afternoon and remain for one hour – time enough to really experience the vintage race boats at speed, but still allow flexibility for your day’s activities. Tickets will be available at Regatta Registration Booth at Cate Park – look for the “Vintage Ride Boats” sign.

Vintage Race Boat Rides!!! - For a donation to the NH Boat Museum at the $100 level, a number of the vintage race boat drivers will be giving rides in demonstration heats on the course. The times for these rides are 12:30 PM and 3:55 PM weather permitting. Racing life jackets and helmets are mandatory and will be supplied. The ride boats will be designated on the docks with signage, and ride tickets can be obtained at the Regatta Registration Booth at the docks.

Volunteers Needed!!!

For more info, or if your want to help out, please contact:
Bill John
Vintage Race Boat Shop - 603-569-5824 (shop phone)
John1948@metrocast.net

Gerri Prusko
Vintage Bookworm - 603-267-9075
GPrusko@vintagebookworm.com

NE Chapter Classic Antique Boat Society

Last edited by Rattlesnake Gal; 09-08-2009 at 01:13 PM.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rattlesnake Gal For This Useful Post:
ApS (09-11-2009)
Old 09-08-2009, 12:33 PM   #3
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

I think that the Antique and Classic Boat Show and races are held every OTHER year. If I'm wrong I'll be sure to hear about it.

Here's the big event for this Fall.

Quote:
Wolfeboro Vintage Raceboat Regatta - September 17-19
The past will come alive as some of the best known race boats of bygone eras return to Wolfeboro, for our Sixth Wolfeboro Vintage Race Boat Regatta and includes over 70 vintage race boats running demonstration laps on a 1 mile oval course on beautiful Wolfeboro Bay. Regatta Information

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 02:56 PM   #4
Nauset

Is the vintage races the same day as the vintage boat show at the docks and they usually have vintage cars in the lot near the Wolfeboro town docks? The links only mention the the races.
Nauset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:04 PM   #5
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauset View Post
Is the vintage races the same day as the vintage boat show at the docks and they usually have vintage cars in the lot near the Wolfeboro town docks? The links only mention the the races.
NO. The Races and Raceboats take over the Wolfeboro docks. There are NO vintage cars during the "Race Boat Regatta". Can't tell you when.... or if.. there is an Antique "Boat Show" this year. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2009, 03:24 AM   #6
ApS

Default More than meets the eye...

I "happened by" the Wolfeboro docks Friday, and so did a hundred other gawkers. Within the immediate docks area, there was no charge to view the practice heats. At least two NHMP boats had "ringside seats". Even the crane was interesting to watch as it shuffled the raceboats about. (This is one serious crane! )

The no-smoking "pit area" is kind of in the middle of things, which on Friday corraled the fastest boats. The woodwork (all the woodwork) was beautiful on these boats, and if you like aluminum boats, one of the largest was constructed entirely of polished aluminum.

There were raceboats made of fiberglass, but showing boats from the 70s/80s didn't seem to mesh well with the majority of vintage boats there. Too-few outboard hydroplane racers from the mid-20th Century were present, IMHO.

It was interesting to see the wide variety of raceboats that were around from the very-earliest years of racing, and the distances some owners had traveled to Wolfeboro Bay for a "go" at the course. The oval course is so large as to make Wolfeboro Bay look pretty small!

Unlike the big APBA races of the late 90s on Lake Winnipesaukee, the owners of these boats aren't quite so interested in having a parade while on the race course. (Meaning, they do seem to be earnestly racing while out on the course—even during "practice").

Of concern to the racers, winds are predicted to be strong today, but not lead too directly into Wolfeboro Bay. I'd still bring a windbreaker, and maybe a sweater.

If you like the noise of straight-pipes, you need to stand near "Arab IV", with its eight exhaust pipes standing straight up. Like many raceboats of that era, it has no gearbox clutch, so it must shoot directly forward (and be pointed directly forward) when heading from the docks to the race course. There is no "headway speed" for this boat that we would recognize!!!

After practice, "Arab IV" is stopped well short of docking, and the passenger's only job appears to be to paddle the remaining 150'.

This weekend, I'd expect parking in downtown Wolfeboro to be a challenge, but taking a side street (between the Post Office and the IGA lot) leads to free overflow parking.

You might have to walk past the ice cream shops.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:55 PM   #7
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

It was quite a show. We went this morning, would love to have spent longer but had other committments. You are right, APS, the crane driver is amazing, as is the person in charge of telling him when and where to pick up the boats. Every time I see that many people on the town docks, I think of the Fourth of July (I am pretty sure it was the 4th) when one of them collapsed and all the people went into the lake.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 05:52 PM   #8
Lakepilot

We spent an hour and a half enjoying the races. It was a bit rough for some of the entrants. Two of the Hydroplanes ended up with holes in their sides. I loved that crane though.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 06:12 PM   #9
camp guy

Default Wolfeboro boat show

Sign me up as one who thoroughly enjoyed the Regatta. Everything about it was interesting. APS writes a very clear review of the event, and, as an addition to what he said, my granddaughter added her own two bits worth, "Grampa, I can feel it in my bones!!"

I'm alread looking forward to 2011 !!

The New Hampshire Boat Museum deserves a standing ovation for their work. (CLAP - CLAP - CLAP)
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 06:45 PM   #10
Jonas Pilot

Default Scorpio

We went on the "Winni' Belle" to watch the races. It gave us a much better view then trying to watch from the docks.
Attached Images

Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 06:52 PM   #11
LakesRegionSpirit

Default Spent two days photographing the vintage regatta.

Here's a sample shot.
Attached Images

www.LakesRegionSpirit.com
LakesRegionSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 07:24 PM   #12
Sue Doe-Nym

Great pictures.Went yedterday and stayed for several hours gawking and talking. The hydroplanes were fun to watch, especially since they seemed to be the fastest and loudest. By far the most interesting boat there was Sister Syn, 35' long with a beautifully restored Curtiss V-12 engine. What a boat. Unfortunately, we didn't get a chance to see it run.
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 10:43 PM   #13
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
Great pictures.Went yedterday and stayed for several hours gawking and talking. The hydroplanes were fun to watch, especially since they seemed to be the fastest and loudest. By far the most interesting boat there was Sister Syn, 35' long with a beautifully restored Curtiss V-12 engine. What a boat. Unfortunately, we didn't get a chance to see it run.
We saw some beautiful wooden racing boats and some great races today at the regatta. It was really fun! We than went over to Garwood's for drinks and appetizer's. We could still watch the boats when sitting on their patio.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:14 AM   #14
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
By far the most interesting boat there was Sister Syn, 35' long with a beautifully restored Curtiss V-12 engine. What a boat. Unfortunately, we didn't get a chance to see it run.

Sister Syn taken by RG in 2007.

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:16 AM   #15
Misty Blue

Default Regatta Patrol

My old boss (DIRAUX) from the Coast Guard and I got front row seats for the races in the old Misty. The boats and races were fabulous! But what most impressed us were the committee boats.

While the NHMP maintained a good presence as well as a NWZ in the bay and did a very good job and the local EMS had rescue boats manned and at the ready, the volunteers on the committee boats stood out and did a remarkable job.

There were few spectator boats in the bay but those (us included) who did enter were courteously directed around the course and the committee boats maintained a moving and effective safety zone.

Rich and I have done regatta patrols from racing sculls to tall ships and we both remarked that these people would have made the Coasties proud.

Bravo Zulu committee!

Misty Blue.
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Misty Blue For This Useful Post:
Bubba (09-22-2009), Jonas Pilot (09-21-2009)
Old 09-23-2009, 06:06 PM   #16
Jonas Pilot

Default Seamed like a well run...

... event. There were 3 Marine Patrol boats on duty. One watching for boats coming out of Back Bay and another at Sewall Point and another toward Clark Point. I saw the RIB looking boat stop a small boat that looked like it had intentions of going out to the broads. It ended up in the lee of the point after talking to the MP. No way they should have been out in the broads.
Attached Images

Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote