Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-08-2009, 08:08 AM   #1
OldManGranite

Default Marine Patrol on Lake Waukewan?

Just recently moved from Winni to Waukewan. I know full well the pros and cons of the MP. I noticed the last 2 weeks, I did not see any MP on Waukewan. What is the standard for them visiting this lake?

As it is very quiet and the boaters are respectful, it appears there is not a need, but just wondering what the norm is.

Thanks.
OldManGranite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:42 AM   #2
meteotrade

I've been going to that lake most of my life and I can probably count the number of times I've seen the MP on one hand.
meteotrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:00 AM   #3
callawassiegirl

Location: Callawassie Island, Sc - October til Ice out --- Sleepers Island, Lake Winnipesaukee, Ice out - Octo
Default Marine Patrol

I know that this year the marine patrol on Lake Winni has been few and far between.. however, yesterday afternoon around 5 two went flying between Sleepers Island and Rattlesnake with lights on towards Alton Bay. Anyone know what happened?
callawassiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:44 AM   #4
Mee-n-Mac

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by callawassiegirl View Post
I know that this year the marine patrol on Lake Winni has been few and far between.. however, yesterday afternoon around 5 two went flying between Sleepers Island and Rattlesnake with lights on towards Alton Bay. Anyone know what happened?
It's a bit OT for this thread so if I hear anymore I'll start another but ....

I saw the Alton FD putting someone on a stretcher at Downings and a NHMP RIB with lights on rounding Sandy Pt at full speed sometime past 5PM IIRC. Don't know anything else. I now return you to Lake Waukewan discussions.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:53 AM   #5
Nauset

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManGranite View Post
Just recently moved from Winni to Waukewan. I know full well the pros and cons of the MP. I noticed the last 2 weeks, I did not see any MP on Waukewan. What is the standard for them visiting this lake?

As it is very quiet and the boaters are respectful, it appears there is not a need, but just wondering what the norm is.

Thanks.
At any given time the MP will drop in a boat at the public ramp and patrol the lake, sometimes at dusk as well. I can think of four occasions where people I know got stopped on Waukewan. I have seen on a beautiful Sunday afternoon where there are a dozen boats out on the lake and the MP comes through and in about a minute there is not a boat to be seen. Then the MP leaves and the boats come back out. People assume they will get stopped if the MP is there.
Nauset is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2009, 02:46 PM   #6
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default MP covers a lot of water

I remember last year during an SL hearing, Lt. Dunleavy mention there are about 90 full time MPO's at most on a weekend day. They are responsible for over 200 bodies of water. I can imagine what kind of priorities are given. I wouldn't want to be in his shoes when something serious happen and there was no patrol on that water.

This year I was told there was a budget cut and manpower was cut back.

Fortunately boating activities appears to be cut back as well.

Good Luck on Waukewan. It's a nice little lake.