Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-03-2009, 10:45 AM   #1
hazelnut

Default Hybrid Boat - Interesting

I knew it wouldn't be long before we saw this:

http://23e.epicboats.com/

Pretty interesting.

Last edited by hazelnut; 10-03-2009 at 10:46 AM. Reason: fixed link
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:45 PM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,939 Times in 1,915 Posts
Default Looks Great!

I think it's great. Certainly looks like going "green" may still be fun! Let's face facts, we eventually have to do something and this certainly is a start!

Thanks for the post and link!!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 03:01 PM   #3
Old Hubbard Rd

Default How much??

OK How much $$$??
Old Hubbard Rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 03:10 PM   #4
hazelnut

It can be yours for around $150,000. I just ordered two!

More info on the boat:

http://www.greenlaunches.com/transpo...ports-boat.php
Old 10-05-2009, 10:52 AM   #5
Kracken

Interesting article.

As far as hybrids go....

Which vehicle has a greater total negative impact on the environment?

A H2 Hummer or a Toyota Prius?

The answer would surprise most.
Kracken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2009, 10:55 AM   #6
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracken View Post
Interesting article.

As far as hybrids go....

Well?? Why??
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:25 AM   #7
Kracken

When you look at the environmental impact to produce, use and dispose of both vehicles it can be argued that the H2 is less harmful to the environment.

This study was done by CNW Research entitled Dust to Dust.

I am not saying I agree with it, but it does challenge what is commonly perceived.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:09 PM   #8
KTO

Quote:
Interesting article.

As far as hybrids go....

I knew that answer! It has more of an impact during it's building process, particularly the parts and chemicals used to make the car. Post-production, it's cleaner than a hummer, however.

Did you know...it takes about 90 barrels of oil to make 1 car?
KTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:26 PM   #9
Kracken

KTO “Did you know...it takes about 90 barrels of oil to make 1 car?”

That statement alone puts into perspective just how environmentally friendly the whole Cash For Clunkers program was, considering they had to destroy functioning automobiles.

Back to the point. A hybrid boat is certainly not cost effective and is probably not environmentally responsible as one might think. At a cost of 150K, the purchaser would never enjoy any financial benefits over the life of the boat. However an owner of a hybrid boat could put an Al Gore sticker on the transom and have the bragging rights that he or she is “doing his part to save the planet”. I guess that is worth something.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kracken For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (10-20-2009), hazelnut (10-05-2009)
Old 10-05-2009, 05:36 PM   #10
chmeeee

Quote:
When you look at the environmental impact to produce, use and dispose of both vehicles it can be argued that the H2 is less harmful to the environment.

This study was done by CNW Research entitled Dust to Dust.

I am not saying I agree with it, but it does challenge what is commonly perceived.
That study was also widely discredited as biased.

Quote:
Enter the Pacific Institute, an Oakland-based environmental think-tank, with a counter-report alleging that the CNW report is based on "faulty methods of analysis, untenable assumptions, selective use and presentation of data, and a complete lack of peer review." Among its most flawed assumption: the average H1 Hummer is assumed to last 35 years, and travel 379,000 miles, while the average Prius is assumed to last only 109,000 miles over 12 years.

Change these "assumptions" and you end up with an opposite result -- that the Prius and others like it consume far less "lifetime energy" than monster vehicles such as the Hummer.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...#ixzz0T6TyRiUZ
Fascinatingly, the website somehow added that link automatically when I copied only the text from the article.
chmeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:03 PM   #11
hazelnut

From that same article this opposing viewpoint was offered:

Quote:
Your editorial skipped right past the main point in the CNW report and that is the excessive amount of greenhouse gas given off just in the shipping of the nickel to several different production locations around the world. Sudbury(mined) to Whales for refinement, then to China for production of sponge nickel, then to Japan to actually make the batteries themselves, then ship the batteries to the USA for inclusion in the Hybrid. Indeed the rediclous amount of shipping it takes to produce the NiMh batteries is highly flawed. Very definately the shipping alone of the nickel to it's different production places generated more greenhouse gas than the production of one complete Hummer. Hopefully the new Lithium batteries are not as carelessly manufactured nor as toxic, we'll see! The other problem thats looming on hybrids is the obsolescence of the electronics. Good luck getting computer modules and other necessary electronic parts to keep the few hybrids going after about 10 to 12 years.

The point of the matter is that many government agencies want lemmings not educated consumers who ask questions. The Prius crowd stick their noses up in the air at the Fossil Fuel crowd and here we have an individual that is raising questions. Perhaps the Hummer was a poor example but surely the run of the mill decent SUV or Sedan may throw the numbers into a bit of a spin in favor of good ole gas power. I'm not saying that either side is entirely correct it's just that the Left has a habit of calling everything "Junk Science" when it creates a chink in the old armor of so called "Global Warming" and the like. This is America folks ask questions don't believe what the government spoon feeds you. That goes for both parties.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hazelnut For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (10-05-2009), Kracken (10-06-2009), NoRegrets (10-06-2009)
Old 10-06-2009, 08:27 AM   #12
Kracken

Question everything.

Just because people say things over and over does not make it a fact. (Insert speed limit reference here). When people, organizations or governments have a financial stake in anything they can be and most often are bias.

They used the H2 in comparison because it was the polar opposite of the Prius. If they compared a hybrid to another economy car it would not have the impact the Hummer did.

It really doesn’t matter in this case who discredited whom. Does a Hummer do less damage to the environment than a Prius…probably not. The fact that the answer is not black and white is the point.

Back to the hybrid boat.

Is a hybrid boat better for the environment than a 2000HP offshore racing boat?

Probably.

Is the hybrid boat better for the environment than 19 foot bowrider?

Probably not.

Is the hybrid better for the environment than a sailboat, kayak or canoe?

Certainly not.

If your goal is to be green, be green. There is no safe cigarette.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kracken For This Useful Post:
hazelnut (10-06-2009)
Old 10-06-2009, 05:03 PM   #13
ripley

"That statement alone puts into perspective just how environmentally friendly the whole Cash For Clunkers program was, considering they had to destroy functioning automobiles "

It was my understanding that the klunkers didn't have to be destroyed,,the dealer could do what they wanted with them.
The kash for klunkers plan should have stipulated that any new car bought had to be made by an American manyfacturer .Toyota and nissan sent thank you letters to the white house ..I think i read soewhere that 55 per cent of all new cars sold in that program came from japan..too bad !
ripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:57 AM   #14
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripley View Post
"That statement alone puts into perspective just how environmentally friendly the whole Cash For Clunkers program was, considering they had to destroy functioning automobiles "

It was my understanding that the klunkers didn't have to be destroyed,,the dealer could do what they wanted with them.
The kash for klunkers plan should have stipulated that any new car bought had to be made by an American manyfacturer .Toyota and nissan sent thank you letters to the white house ..I think i read soewhere that 55 per cent of all new cars sold in that program came from japan..too bad !
But my Toyota pickup truck is 100% assembled in the USA, by Americans, with the profits going to a company that knows how to function without government intervention. Do a quick search to see where the Chevy Silverado is assembled. I realize that the plant in Canada was just closed this year, which is a step in the right direction, but it still required tax-payer money to fuel that closure.

P.S. I did not participate in the cash for clunkers program, that entire thing is a mess.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:14 AM   #15
Kracken

jmen24,

I have agreed with just about every post you have ever written. But the streak does end here…well kinda.

Toyota is subsidized by the Japanese Government. Japan does pick up the healthcare cost of all Toyota workers. That gives the Japanese automakers a competitive advantage (about 1,600 per vehicle).

Toyota is not subsidized by our government (at least not yet). The fact that GM is owned by our government is sickening. I am a little bitter about that, I was a stockholder.

No offense intended jmen24.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:23 AM   #16
jmen24

Quote:
jmen24,

I have agreed with just about every post you have ever written. But the streak does end here…well kinda.

Toyota is subsidized by the Japanese Government. Japan does pick up the healthcare cost of all Toyota workers. That gives the Japanese automakers a competitive advantage (about 1,600 per vehicle).

Toyota is not subsidized by our government (at least not yet). The fact that GM is owned by our government is sickening. I am a little bitter about that, I was a stockholder.

No offense taken, I traded a 2002 Silverado for my Tacoma earlier this year, for the fact that I felt the new GM trucks did not feel as well built as the Toyota did. This is the first vehicle I have ever owned that was not American made.

I did not know that regarding the subsidy from the Japanese Government. I guess my bucket has holes in it.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:36 PM   #17
RLW

Smile

It's great to go green. It probably makes one run down the lake aweek and the rest of the time it's on the charger.
Old 10-11-2009, 03:08 AM   #18
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
jmen24,

That is the Japanese version of singlepayer healthcare at work. It is paid for by taxes on Toyota and workers. It is also mandatory. Their system costs about 8% of GDP as opposed to our 16% or so. There is a competitive advantage for sure-but I would call it fair.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 01:45 PM   #19
caloway

Default Not exactly correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
That is the Japanese version of singlepayer healthcare at work. It is paid for by taxes on Toyota and workers. It is also mandatory. Their system costs about 8% of GDP as opposed to our 16% or so. There is a competitive advantage for sure-but I would call it fair.
Foreign-owned U.S. auto plants receive plenty of subsidies from local and state governments: http://www.cheersandgears.com/lofive...hp/t27245.html

Also, continuing the Prius thread, if you compare that ugly-a$$ car with a VWI diesel GTI, the Prius would be the chump....in the GTI's rear-view mirror.
caloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 01:16 AM   #20
ripley

Default Green boat around here somewhere,,heres the best !

Somewhere on this forum is a link for a new "green" 23' inboard.It is "kinda "green

here is one that is "TRUE GREEN" you don't even need a boat: you can go skiing alone !

http://www.wimp.com/waterinvention

thats what I call green !!
ripley is offline   Reply With Quote