Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2004, 05:52 PM   #1
.:Wakeboarder180SS:.
Banned

Angry The nerve of SOME people

Hey fellow Winnipesaukeers,
We drove our our boat on her maiden voyage today, and after coming outa the Weirs Channel, we went under the GI Bridge, and 2 guys in bass boats (edit) were on the other side fishing. It was hard to stay away so I went headway (as Im suppost to) bein careful not to get near their line (which I could see) So the guy screams at the top of his lungs (AND I QUOTE) "Hey Kid! Watch my line! Turn off ur boat, turn around, and get the hell outa here!" So I blipped the throttle and gave him a nice wake and drove off. I just couldnt believe it. Then we were so paranoid about the Witches we went around near Sanders Bay and Glendale; where we AGAIN get the same crud (edit). I dont get it, what is wrong with some (EDIT) people?

Last edited by .:Wakeboarder180SS:.; 05-01-2004 at 09:31 PM.
Old 05-01-2004, 06:37 PM   #2
KonaChick

Perhaps they were a bit sensitive and overreacted by yelling at you. You however did NOT handle the situation in an adult manner...by going full throttle and giving him a huge wake to deal with you brought yourself down to his level. Perhaps you could have handled that situaion in a different way? It becomes a vicious cycle..some jerk does something to ruffle your feathers and you react. Then your mood becomes sour and you overract in some way to someone else. *sigh* let the summer follies begin!
Old 05-01-2004, 06:38 PM   #3
WakeUp

Default The Nerve of Some People...

...you think you have it bad, try dealing with my inlaws!
Old 05-01-2004, 06:44 PM   #4
WakeUp

Default KonaChick...are you for real?!?!

KonaChick - you have "liberal" oozing from you! I LOVE what he did! That is the problem with society today: We're all told to "tolerate" some idiots behavior. I don't, nor ever will think like that. I believe people should be responsible 100 percent for their actions....period! "Oh...tolerate him...he came from a broken home...that's why he just broke into your house."
I think he should have swamped the fisherman with the big mouth! Think about who drew first blood?!?!?
Old 05-01-2004, 06:46 PM   #5
WakeUp

Default Hat's off Wakeboarder!!

Wakeboarder...I like your attitude...an eye for an eye!!
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2004, 06:57 PM   #6
DW1585

Happened to see your post in here and just wanted to put in my $.02 worth. I am a bass fisherman with a bass boat and fish Winni quite a bit. Most of us are sportsmen and respect the waters, swimmers, lakefront owners and other boats the same way as all (or most) of you. Please don't put all of us in the same category as the one you had to deal with today.
We don't put all of you in the same category as the ones that are anchored in a cove drinking beer all day, and then driving their vessels back to the launch or dock. Those are the ones with the "ass boats".
Just my .02
Old 05-01-2004, 07:35 PM   #7
GWC...

Default Youth is wasted on the young...

***** So I blipped the throttle and gave him a nice wake and drove off. I just couldnt believe it. Then we were so paranoid about the Witches we went around near Sanders Bay and Glendale; where we AGAIN get the same crap. *****

Two wrongs do make a right.

Get a map and get some courage and have fun exploring the Lake.

Clean up the language when you post - I'm not impressed by it, either.
Old 05-01-2004, 07:42 PM   #8
Joe Kerr

Question If fishermen were to yell out to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:Wakeboarder180SS:.
So the guy screams at the top of his lungs (AND I QUOTE) "Hey Kid! Watch my line! Turn off ur boat, turn around, and get the hell outa here!" So I blipped the throttle and gave him a nice wake and drove off. ... I dont get it, what is wrong with some people?
I understand how you feel Wakeboarder. You must have been very confused (as I would have been). How can you turn your boat OFF, turn the boat around and leave? You can't do them all at the same time.

I can't hear well over the noise of my motor. I would have motored over to those helpful fisherpersons to ask them what they wanted. Maybe they wanted to warn me of a navigation hazzard or an out-of position buoy. Or maybe they wanted to tell me to get away from their private drinking... oops I mean fishing area... Either way, I would have gone over to them (headway speed) to find out what was going on. If I did hear them I would want to find out WHY they thought I had to turn my boat off. I am always willing to learn from those more experienced - or teach those with less. Then you would know what's wrong with them (if anything). Were they just ignorant you know whats or something else.

Hitting the throttle to throw them a little wake, well you are responsible for your wake. Of course you were 150 feet or more from the bridge and fish boat before you made the wake, right?
Old 05-01-2004, 08:57 PM   #9
Cal

I would had to shut it off and just drift there and aggrivate him. After all I did what he said
Old 05-01-2004, 09:08 PM   #10
madrasahs

Default "I don't have a dog in this fight", but...

Personally, I detour around non-commercial fishermen, even though I have the right-of-way as a sailboat.

Lots of them are in small boats. Keeping 150 feet away from their boat should also include keeping 150 feet from their lines.

How would your best scenario appear to an observant MP

(Notice that -- so far -- you have at least three out-of-state boaters who agree with you).

Last edited by madrasahs; 05-01-2004 at 09:15 PM.
Old 05-01-2004, 09:21 PM   #11
ITD

"A person under 16 years of age may not legally operate a vessel powered by more than 25 horsepower unless he or she is accompanied by a person 18 years of age or older who has a valid Safe Boater Education Certificate. The accompanying person is responsible for any injury or damage caused during operation of the vessel."

Wakeboarder,

I assume you met the letter of the law here. I see from your info you are 14, and you probably acted as I would have at 14. Blipping your throttle and blasting the guy with your wake sounds more like road (lake?) rage than a mature response to someone who doesn't sound too bright. Then, according to your post, "where we AGAIN get the same .....", it sounds like you were doing something wrong, exact same problem two different times. Maybe not, I wasn't there, but sounds like something's wrong.

I'm with Kona Chick on this one, they behaved badly and so did you.

Please don't call me a liberal for my opinion.
Old 05-01-2004, 09:28 PM   #12
Banned

Angry

alright, lets clear something up:
1) I have a boating cert., my dad was onboard letting me drive
2) I am responsible, In case u dont know, "Blipping" the throttle means revving it up then bringing it back to idle all in lyk 1 second just to scare all the fish away-- jeez!
3) I beleive this post is titles "THe nerve of SOME!! people!! --as in those dudes in the bass boats today

AND YES! my feathers were ruffled! lol

Last edited by .:Wakeboarder180SS:.; 05-01-2004 at 09:50 PM.
Old 05-01-2004, 09:34 PM   #13
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Kerr

Hitting the throttle to throw them a little wake, well you are responsible for your wake. Of course you were 150 feet or more from the bridge and fish boat before you made the wake, right?

~Yes, of course abt 200-250 from the bridge-- I may only be 13 (not 14 yet) but im responsible as for 150 feet from the bass boat-- no comment *cough* 70 *cough*
and ya, his line was one of those all orange lines- u know abt 70 feet from me pointed in the other direction-- and he was fishing in lyk 4 foot waters.... ummm wonder if he caught anything
and mind all of u, I was still well under 6 mph

Last edited by .:Wakeboarder180SS:.; 05-01-2004 at 09:37 PM.
Old 05-01-2004, 09:48 PM   #14
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD
Then, according to your post, "where we AGAIN get the same .....", it sounds like you were doing something wrong, exact same problem two different times. Maybe not, I wasn't there, but sounds like something's wrong.
sry for all the consecutive posts
no we couldnt see the witches (blind?) so we went over by Varney point(?)(dont have my map with me) and there were MORE people fishing-- they were all lined up but we could respect the 150 rule but didnt want to "wake off" THESE guys so we went to headway and a couple of guys were yelling at us-- and were were still 300+ feet away from anyone and any line! We were just really mad about this! ya anyway we took the boat on its 1st ride down to rattlesnake (where can u park your boat to climb the hill? we couldnt find that) and back to Channel. ya no 1 prob cares

Ur responsible teen,
~The worlds worst (im a modest guy) wakeboarder~
Old 05-02-2004, 07:38 AM   #15
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts
Default Bassboats

When I see bassboats(and I'm well over '150 away)....I like to throttle back to about 1/2 plane,so I throw a 3 foot wake their way.Makes up for all the times they drop their lures right at my dock and beach when my family is out. They don't respect our privacy,and I don't respect theirs.I agree with Wakeboarder.....give them a little of their own medicine
Old 05-02-2004, 09:18 AM   #16
meredith necker

Default fishermen and others

Some of us have waited all winter to fish for salmon in the spring and then find out that joy riders are out in APRIL for heavens sake. Many fishing boats have very little freeboard. Many powerboats have a big wake even when they are going slowly. The water is high at this time of year so it is hard to see rocks. 150 feet is 2 ski tow ropes long (about). Ignore people yelling at you unless they are pointing out danger - pretend you didn't hear. This is no time of year to go joy riding - there's a lot of stuff in the lake, a lot of fishermen, even floating markers in the lake. You have all summer to joy ride, let the fishermen have April.
Old 05-02-2004, 12:04 PM   #17
Old Chris Craft

Default I came up with a perfect solution

After years of watching the big lake become overpopulated with people who think the lake is for their use only, I finally sold my last boat in 1996. Boating on Winnipesaukee these days is almost as much fun as driving through Boston: too many people, too much water rage and too many "Captains" who believe they are right and you are wrong.
Old 05-02-2004, 03:01 PM   #18
KonaChick

Dear *WakeUp* your post speaks volumes about who you are
Old 05-02-2004, 03:44 PM   #19
JDeere

Thumbs down Not A Credible Story

The posts by wakeboarder are not credible. He must have been on top of folks to get the reaction he did. If someone is fishing give him or her as wide a berth as possible. Why disturb the area they are fishing in? No way was the boat in the channel in Wakeboarders way. If dad was aboard it is clear what he is teaching his kid. Too bad the dad does not have more common sense the to teach his kid to throw a wake. If the son is certified then he must know that he is reposnosble for the consewquence of his wake. What if the fisherman had fallen overboard?
Old 05-02-2004, 08:55 PM   #20
Kona Bay Girl

Default Yiiiiikes

Please, don't think that all teenagers are are arrogant. However, looking at the original quotes, the fishermen were telling Wakeboarder to turn around and leave. If everyone was right in posting and said that he was probably a decent distance away, he could have passed them in the channel and not have done any harm. HOWEVER if he was still within the markers (I wasn't there, so I wouldn't have known), what he did was both discorteous and illegal. If not, then it was still rather rude, no matter who started the fight.

Then again, they were asking to turn around and go BACK in the channel? I don't think the actual wording pertained to that of the post, because a fisherman couldn't have said something that absurd, unless the boat was located in the Laconia/Paugus area. The argument can go either way, but will be taken with less belief if told by a teenager.

You can tell the natives of the lake from all of the out-of staters. I know because I'm one of them. I just threw that in.

Salmon? Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat kind of salmon lives in the lake, might I ask?

See you all in June. It'll be good to be back.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:39 AM   #21
CableBob

Angry Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM
When I see bassboats(and I'm well over '150 away)....I like to throttle back to about 1/2 plane,so I throw a 3 foot wake their way.Makes up for all the times they drop their lures right at my dock and beach when my family is out. They don't respect our privacy,and I don't respect theirs.I agree with Wakeboarder.....give them a little of their own medicine

Sam. Shame on you! You are saying that you intentionally try to ruin another boaters fun just because someone in a boat "like" his ruined your fun.

Nice attitude. Can't we all just get along?
Old 05-03-2004, 07:06 AM   #22
hazelnut

Default Fishermen etc.

I don't understand why people get so mad at the fishermen. I do not fish (I'd like to learn), anyway, I welcome seeing them putting along my shorefront. I usually sit with my coffee on my patio and strike up a conversation with the ones close by. Yes they cast right into my dock area but it's usually early in the AM. It gives me something to watch while I chill out in the early morning while just relaxing by the water. I never knew there was the attitude of an us vs them. It's every bit their lake as it is mine. When i head out on the boat I try to keep a wider than 150 foot arc around them. Sometimes it is impossible because they are stacked up across from each other. I will go between the 2 boats that are the farthest apart.
Before the season starts everyone should take a deep breath and appreciate that we are fortunate enough to be able to enjoy what the lake offers. You know the old saying "stop and smell the roses." Well it applies triple here. Everyone is trying to figure out a way to piss off the demographic they don't like. Seriously folks is that what we want to do with our weekends/vacations? I am a realist I experience the same lake you all do. People cut me off, come too close, are obnoxious, etc. etc. etc. Usually I smile and laugh and it gives my friends and I something to talk about around the campfire. Late night conversation example: (Fire lit, Beer in hand, friends & family present) Hey, remember that guy by the Long Island Bridge today, what a knucklehead...... etc.
I hope everyone can find time to enjoy themselves this summer amongst all the madness. Remember this is your time to relax between the stresses of work, bills, school, etc. Make the most of it. Don't let others ruin it for you!!!!

P.S. I'm a registered Republican. Just in case anyone wondered.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:20 AM   #23
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts
Default Words of wisdom

Hazelnut....I must admit ,that was very well said.If every boater on the lake had your attitude,everyone would,indeed,get along.I get hot under the collar when I see rude or inconsiderate boaters and the first thought is to give it right back.Next time,I just might try your approach
Old 05-03-2004, 07:29 AM   #24
madrasahs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut
. "...Seriously folks is that what we want to do with our weekends/vacations? I am a realist I experience the same lake you all do. People cut me off, come too close, are obnoxious, etc. etc. etc....Hey, remember that guy by the Long Island Bridge today, what a knucklehead...... etc...I hope everyone can find time to enjoy themselves this summer amongst all the madness. Remember this is your time to relax between the stresses of work, bills, school, etc. Make the most of it. Don't let others ruin it for you!!!!"
I believe you're onto something there.

Some folks bring the rat-race with them.

Old 05-03-2004, 07:35 AM   #25
ITD

Hazelnut,

Thanks for the great post, I figured you were a Republican halfway through your post before I got to the last sentence.

A fellow registered Republican.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:36 AM   #26
JohnNH

Default Interesting chain of events

Wakeboarder,

It's unfortunate that tempers had to flare during your encounter with a Bass boat near GI bridge.

You said you could see his line and as an avid bass fisherman that concerns me = it's impossible to cast 150 feet with a bass rod.

You also offer another interesting bit of information in a latter post = in another area of the lake more bass boats yelled at you. ???

Perhaps you had a legitimate encounter at GI, but I must admit that I question who was right or wrong since it happened repeatedly. Measuring 150 feet on the water is difficult for everyone and as one poster mentioned it's double the length of a ski rope. Another way to gauge the distance is if you can read the bow numbers on another boat your too close.

By the way, anglers have the same rights as you on the water regardless what time of year it is.

We all need to be less sensitive and try to get along.

Just my opinion,

John/NH
Old 05-03-2004, 08:49 AM   #27
Just Sold

Default Make the Effort to Respect other Boaters

I agree with Hazelnut, and I am an registered Independent.

I am returning to the lake this year for the first time in about 4 years. I grew up summering first in Melvin Village (1956) and then Alton Bay and aside from the last 4 years have seen the many changes on the lake and its shores.

The last place I stayed was on Rattlesnake which I did for about 5 years. That was the most peaceful place to be with the trail in the middle and the view from the top.

My own experiences a number of years ago with rude and ignorant boaters stopped me from comming to the lake on a holiday weekend and a lot of weekends for that matter. I enjoy the weekdays and my current job affords me the ability to boat on weekdays. I fish and just cruise the lake. I respect all boaters rights be they power, sail or fishermen and even jetskis. We should all reflect on what the lake means to us and try and be more curterious to others and help preserve the lake for the future of us all.

Again thanks to Hazelnut for saying it so well.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:00 PM   #28
tricia1218

I learned to boat around the same age on my father's boat, and I can tell you if I pulled that arrogant move, it would have been the last time I would have been allowed on the boat.
Old 05-03-2004, 03:12 PM   #29
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona Bay Girl
unless the boat was located in the Laconia/Paugus area.
It was, the Govornors Island bridge

Last edited by webmaster; 05-03-2004 at 07:47 PM. Reason: fixed quote tag
Old 05-03-2004, 03:51 PM   #30
Banned

Unhappy

Alright I was probably the wrong one there, but Nobody was EVER in any danger, trust me. What this post was suppost to be about was how we keep running into rude fisherman-- On our first trip around the lake! My god I hope these guys dont stay here cluttering our waterways all year. Its their FAULT because they were blocking the safe part of the channel. He was blocking my starboard side and there are rocks on my port side.

And ya, we did have a chart but couldn't see the Witches-- and didn't want to risk anything with a new boat.

I wonder if that guy caught anything he was in like 5 foot waters-- and hes trying to catch salmon and trout (which by the way i dont eat)!?
Old 05-03-2004, 05:36 PM   #31
DW1585

Default Attn: Hazelnut

It is evident by your post that you are a very considerate and understanding person. We, as bass fishermen, enjoy conversing with waterfront property owners. Most people are very friendly and courteous to us and we thank you.

For all property owners on Winni or any body of water that may read this, if you do not want us fishing your docks, just ask us nicely if we could move on. I believe that you will be pleasantly surprised that most of us will respect your wishes. Sure, there will be the few that will spoil it for the rest of us. We know that you have invested places and/or boats on the lake to enjoy yourself and relax while you're there. The last thing we want to do is ruin your time spent at the lake. Speaking for myself, I fish for the relaxation - not to get into arguments or confrontations.

As for learning how to fish, Hazelnut I would gladly take you out on the lake and show you. Just post a reply in here and let me know. You need nothing but a fishing license.
Old 05-04-2004, 11:26 AM   #32
zaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:Wakeboarder180SS:.
Alright I was probably the wrong one there, but Nobody was EVER in any danger, trust me. What this post was suppost to be about was how we keep running into rude fisherman-- On our first trip around the lake! My god I hope these guys dont stay here cluttering our waterways all year.
Cluttering your waterways? Fisherman have just as much of a right to be out there as anyone. I don't care if your father owns a 10 million dollar mansion on the lake, you have no more of a right to be out there than any other human being. The fact that those words were written by a 13 year old is very disturbing. I guess we can't blame you 100%, you're only 13. I'm sure the way your parents raised you has a lot to do with your current attitude towards others. Let me take this opportunity to tell you that you're no better than anyone else, regardless of what you were taught.

[/QUOTE]I wonder if that guy caught anything he was in like 5 foot waters-- and hes trying to catch salmon and trout (which by the way i dont eat)!?[/QUOTE]

I thought you said that these were bass fisherman? Now you say that they were trying to catch salmon and trout? Your story sounds a bit fabricated to me, I don't buy it. Please don't stereotype fisherman. Most of us are friendly, hard working folks that just want to enjoy the lake like everyone else. Try striking up a friendly conversation with a fisherman and you're attutide towards them may change. I fish in a bass club and our members include doctors, architects, contractors, police officers, EMT's, Computer technicians, private business owners, teachers and scientists. We're normal people just like everyone else. To anyone who believes bass fisherman are on the water drinking all day(Joe Kerr), you'll get kicked out of our club if you're caught with alcohol or illegal drugs while in one of our tournaments.

DW1585 said it best:
"We(bass fisherman) don't put all of you in the same category as the ones that are anchored in a cove drinking beer all day, and then driving their vessels back to the launch or dock."

Next time you're about to post on this forum and single out any particular demographic, remember that quote and rethink before you post.

Try to enjoy your summer people. I think all the negative posters in this thread should print out Hazlenuts post and tape it to the refrigerator at your lake house. Read it once a day, and think of it the next time something happens that you take exception to.

Samian, I truly hope you're going to try Hazlenuts approach. I've been reading your posts for years and I would classify most as negative(especially towards fisherman). Have some fun this summer and don't sweat the small stuff. Talk to a fishermand instead of swamping them or chasing them away from your dock. You're setting a terrible example for your kids, learn to be the better person. Who know's, you might even make a new friend.
Old 05-04-2004, 11:31 AM   #33
meredith necker

Default salmon

Salmon: they give you a good fight in the spring. There is an annual event to see them run
Old 05-04-2004, 04:04 PM   #34
zaney

Wow, I think somebody needs a time out!

Wakeboarder, if you want this to be a friendly forum, then don't make negative posts. Remember, you're the one that started this thread. Maybe the webmaster can start a new fourm called the "Complaint Basket" and move these types of threads there. Then we can keep all the negativity confined to one place.

Even your friend Dbag seems to disagree with you, and it almost sounds like he was in the boat when this incident transpired. Care to share what really happened Dbag?
Closed Thread