Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Fish Tales
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2010, 07:02 PM   #1
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Arrow Online 2010 Fishing License

I just got my fishing license online through the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department and I was surprised and very annoyed to be charged $3 for an internet transaction fee.

My problem with it is that they didn't tell me ahead of time, it was after I paid for it already. Is that legal? (I did e-mail them with my concerns.)

Wouldn't they keep more of the money with the buying online option?

They must have to give the stores that sell them a cut, right?
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:22 PM   #2
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Very little goes to a store, Brian at the busy corner store once told me and it was only a buck or two.

The online option is very convenient and you get to save a pdf copy to reprint in case of a loss. I think that the $3 goes to the company that handles the transaction but, yes, they should make that clear up front.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:34 PM   #3
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts
Default I missed it too

OK, they do tell you about the fee up front in the "Before you start" section which apparently I did not bother to read.

In the middle of the section:
Quote:
A $3 internet transaction fee will be charged for each purchase, in addition to the license or permit cost. We accept Visa, MasterCard, and Discover for the payment of license fees.
See https://www.greatlodge.com/cgi-bin/l...92182013342842
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:05 PM   #4
Seeker

It would probably cost me $3 in gas to go to a store to buy the license, then if it was busy they would rather sell groceries/beer than make a dollar or two on my hunting/fishing license renewal so I would be shuttled aside while they made money. I've been buying online since they started. Next year I think it's free for life.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:02 PM   #5
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Red face Thank You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
OK, they do tell you about the fee up front in the "Before you start" section which apparently I did not bother to read.

In the middle of the section:

See https://www.greatlodge.com/cgi-bin/l...92182013342842
I looked and looked and kept missing it. Thanks for solving this for me Slickcraft.

Maybe the charge should be a little more prominent than it is for us blind folk?

Now to catch me some fish!
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2010, 05:50 AM   #6
ishoot308

Thanked 4,923 Times in 1,906 Posts

I think the on line licensing is a great feature and worth the extra few bucks. It allows you to get your license 24 hrs a day 7 days a week. I made 4 copies and keep one in both of my boats, my tackle box as well as my fishing vest.

I do agree however, the extra charge notice is kinda hidden but I don't think it was purposely done that way.

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:50 AM   #7
Grant

I've been buying my licenses (NH & PA) online since they started offering the option, and the new $3 convenience fee is worth it! I typically buy & print the license the day before heading to the Lake, and then can fish from the time I arrive. Sure, the out-of-state license fees are astronomical, but nothing compared to the fine you'd be slapped with if you were dipping a line without a license!

And, FWIW, in PA they slap you with an additional fee for a "trout stamp" if you want to fish trout, and $9 "stamp" for the privilege of fishing Lake Erie. They justify the trout stamp by stocking millions of brookies, brownies and 'bows throughout the state from March through October.