Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2008, 07:37 AM   #1
vmartino26

Default Kitchen Cravings

After reading the sign "Coming Soon" for several months, Kitchen Cravings in Laconia finally opened last weekend. We went for breakfast on Sunday, the 7th. A short wait -- people had read about the opening and the place was very busy -- but we were promptly seated. The place (not all that big) was packed. The seating is a little odd, but you do warm up to it after a bit. We were told the kitchen was "backed up" because of the large turnout, but we forged ahead and placed our orders. The wait wasn't all that long, and the waitress was attentive with coffee, water, et cetera. When the food arrived, the wait was truly worth it. Delicious to say the least. I had "homemade" corned beef hash -- yes homemade -- eggs, home fries, and a "homemade" english muffin. You read the right. A homemade english muffin. Wonderful.
My wife had a super-duper Mexican feast with a flour tortilla, eggs, veggies, "homemade" salsa and guacamole -- yes homemade again and sour cream. The coffee was freshly brewed. The whole breakfast was outstanding. Local owners to boot. A wonderful experience. I highly recommend Kitchen Cravings.
vmartino26 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vmartino26 For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (09-08-2008), kthy66 (09-15-2008), Rose (09-08-2008)
Old 09-08-2008, 09:35 AM   #2
Newbiesaukee

What is the specific location? Thanks
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:32 AM   #3
eyenotall777

Default ?

vmartino26-

Do you re-collect any of their other offerings? I believe they are only open for breakfast/lunch, but breakfast is served all day, til they close.
eyenotall777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 05:39 PM   #4
Hermit Cover

Default Airport location....

Newbiesaukee...the address mentioned in the Weirs Times current issue is 15 Airport Road....Gilford....on airport property. The restaurant is located in the abandoned bank building backing to the airport between Patricks and Peppers..see you all at the Fest???
Hermit Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:27 PM   #5
vmartino26

I believe they close at two. They open at six. They serve breakfast all day. Hard to remember many things off the menu. Extensive lineup of food. They had everything from the standard fare of pancakes, waffles, what they call a "French" omelet all the way to various sandwiches and even liver and onions for more hearty fare.
vmartino26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2008, 02:48 PM   #6
flyguy

Default Must be good!!

We tried to go there last Sunday. There was a line out the door, and cars streaming in constantly. Sadly we didn't have the time to wait.

For those unfamiliar, you cannot enter the parking lot directly- take the entrance to the airport.

Oh well, another day...
flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 06:05 PM   #7
Waterbaby

Default See What Happens.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy View Post
We tried to go there last Sunday. There was a line out the door, and cars streaming in constantly. Sadly we didn't have the time to wait.

For those unfamiliar, you cannot enter the parking lot directly- take the entrance to the airport.

Oh well, another day...
...........when a place gets mentioned, especially with good reviews, on the forum????????? (not sure whether to laugh or cry, but happy for the owners, lol!)
Old 09-10-2008, 07:32 PM   #8
DRH

Default Same Here

Quote:

Oh well, another day...
The same thing happened to me this past Saturday morning. A bunch of neighbors and I went to try it out, arriving at 8:15 AM, and the parking lot was absolutely full ... not a single parking spot anywhere. So, we went to Waldo Pepper's where we had a good breakfast and there was little wait.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:59 AM   #9
dpg

Sounds as though Cravings will give Waldo Peppers a run for their momey.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:43 AM   #10
jtb

Default Kitchen Cravings

Waldo Peppers is no where even in the same ballpark as Cravings, nor anyone else for that matter. Stop and you will see for yourself that Cravings stands out from everyone else in the area hands down. They make everything onsite using the best products, and everything is made to order. The food may take a bit longer to come out of the kitchen but well worth the wait and then some. Since they opened, they have had a waiting line open to close to get in. Once you eat there you will know why. The place is owned by Bill and Sally Bickford, lifetime residents of Gilford. Bill is the cook and Sally runs the dining room. They both are there 7 days a week, open to close and have a vested interest to make sure everything is as good as it can be. Local owners, great food, awesome place. Check it out. If you can't find anything to eat on this menu there is something wrong with you.
jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 02:42 PM   #11
winniplayhouse

My husband and I tried it for lunch today based solely on the reviews here. We weren't disappointed! Arrived just before 1pm and it was packed. Despite two couples waiting in front of us, it was probably less than a 10 minute wait. By 1:20 there was plenty of seating. The food and coffee were great! My husband esp. liked the fresh whipped cream on his hot chocolate! The only negative I can think of (and I agree with the first poster that the seating was a little odd - we were at a 1/2 table and it was slightly awkward to have a conversation) was that there was waaay too much to choose from on the menu and I had a hard time picking something. Guess we'll have to keep going back to try it all!
winniplayhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 03:52 PM   #12
angela4design

Default Citizen Article last April

Interesting article about the owners from the Citizen (by Cutter Mitchell) last April... only seats 54 patrons, though? Shhh!!! Let's not tell anybody else until we all get to try it!

http://http://www.citizen.com/apps/p...ESS02/87884560

Excerpt:
"Both Bill and Sally are Lakes Region natives, with a background routed in the restaurant industry. Bill owned and operated the Ye Olde Homestead Restaurant in his hometown of Alton back in the 1980s and Sally has done her share of restaurant management, including manning the helm at B. Mae's Resort for eight years in her hometown of Gilford.

The Bickfords took their journeys across the country, having managed a horse ranch in Colorado and a five-star restaurant in the Florida Keys along with a whole host of other unique and different experiences the two had along the way."
angela4design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 10:45 AM   #13
nicole

We went to Kitchen Cravings this morning. We waited about 15 minutes to get a table. We sat at one of those little half-tables-it was a little weird at first but we had plenty of room.

My husband ordered a french omlette and we were told that it would be 20 minutes-that was fine with us. It actually took about 30 minutes to get our food. That was ok. During that time the waitress refilled coffee and did check on us. She also came by and let us know when our order would be up next.

My husband had a French omlette with sausage and American cheese. It came with homefries and he had coffee and O.J. He enjoyed everything. He said his omlette was light and very fluffy.

I had a hot cocoa with whipped cream and it was good. I ordered a fresh made croissant, bacon and an order of homefries. I enjoyed it all. The food was tasty, fresh and you could tell it was home made.

They had a case of donuts, pastries and fresh loaves of bread by the register that I want to try in the future.

We took a to go menu home with us. We will definetly be back to try lunch and breakfast again. So far this is the best breakfast place that we have tried in the area.

Nicole
nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 11:17 AM   #14
Overlake97

Default Half tables have to go

I dropped in alone one weekday morning, around 7AM, enroute to work. There was plenty of seating, but I couldn't sit at one of those half tables and comfortably read my newspaper while I ate, so I sat at a 6-top.

The menu WAS interesting, and after figuring out where to find the breakfast vs. lunch items (they serve everything, all the time) I chose one of their build-your-own benedicts. The benedict was good, but the coffee (de-caf) was average and the homefries seemed like they had been sitting in a warmer too long (small and hard luke-warm potato chunks that had been quickly deep-friend or oven-fried much earlier).

I'm glad they finally opened though, and will definitely be back, as it seems my experience may have been an outlier. But they HAVE to get rid of those half tables. They're cute, but non-functional, and there's plenty of room for 2-seater square tables at the same spots.
Overlake97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:42 AM   #15
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmartino26 View Post
I had "homemade" corned beef hash -- yes homemade -- eggs, home fries, and a "homemade" english muffin. You read the right. A homemade english muffin. Wonderful.

We stopped by this Monday morning, no line and prompt friendly service. I also had the hash, eggs and homemade English muffin, very good as previously reported.
About the corned beef hash, put away those visions of canned mush. The "hash" was made from slow cooked lean corned beef that had then been fork pulled. When ordered, a good serving of the pulled meat was then browned on the grill. Went great with the eggs and the home fries.
My wife had her usual scrambled eggs with a serving of grits (not my thing) which she reported to be very good. With coffee for both and juice for her, the total was $15.50 with tax, not bad at all.
I recommend picking-up a menu to take home and review as there are so many options that in a quick reading you may miss one of your favorite things.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:12 AM   #16
codeman671

I am glad that they finally got things up and running. I ran into Bill and Sally at the Glendale launch a little over a month ago and they indicated that they were far behind schedule due to contractor issues. Good luck guys!
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:52 AM   #17
Dave M

Default Thumbs up

Wife & I were also over there on Monday(~11:00am). Was able to walk right in. Our waitress was patient with us since wife likes to go over the whole menu(extensive). I already knew what I was having. We ordered a fresh fruit dish. This came out in a large bowl. Wife ordered the waffles with orange flavoring. Split the fruit and she put the fruit on the waffles. I had the hash,eggs,english muffin as vmartino26 & Slickcraft had. Any time there's homemade hash, its the first on my list. Both dishes were excellent. I did order a side of baked beans and was a little disappointed. Were to pasty for me. I like kidney and the like for beans. Next time have to try one of the benedicts.
I also agree with Overlake97, those half round tables not big enough. We happened to sit at one of the round tables.
Didn't notice any website. Was going to try to scan the menu and put on the forum. Don't know exactly how to do this.

Enjoy. If they keep same formula, this place can't miss.

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 02:34 PM   #18
lunch lady

Default Kitchen Cravings

Have been twice for lunch - wonderful. Had the best "Patty Melt" ever. Only thing I don't like about the place is the tables. Those half tables are really too small to enjoy a meal at. One day we were seated at a large table for six as that was the only table availabe. In a few minutes there was a long line out the door. We told our waiter it was OK to sit others at our table and he did. We enjoyed the company of a very nice couple. I would get rid of the large tables and use more table for four. Wonderful food. Can't wait to try their breakfast.
lunch lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:18 PM   #19
Winnigirl83

Default have to say, not my favorite

We went there last week and probably won't rush back anytime soon. We were seated by what I assume was the hostess (though she wasn't very friendly at all). Our waitress didn't seem that friendly at first, but we quickly warmed up to each other.

It took a really, really long time for an offer of a second cup of coffee and an even longer time (over half an hour) for our food to arrive. This was mid-week and from what I could see, there was only one other table waiting for their food (and they were already seated when we arrived). I have to say, the omellete (sp?) didn't have a lot of fillings. I ordered onion, cheese, and ham - only got the onion and ham - and could literally count the pieces of each. I didn't find the omellete very flavorful. The menu promised me that omelletes take a little longer but will be worth it (I'm paraphrasing). Honestly, I didn't feel rewarded for my long wait.

The inside of the restaurant is done very well. It's very bright and airy inside. It's great to sit there and look around (almost worth a second trip just to see all pictures/decorations).
Winnigirl83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 05:45 AM   #20
riverat

We have yet to go there but we recommended it to some friends based on the feedback I have read, and they wanted me to tell you all that they loved it. Other than the "half tables" and modest wait, they thoroughly enjoyed their food and atmosphere. We hope to make it there soon and post our own experience.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:31 AM   #21
Zeke

Default Great breakfast

We finally had a chance to check it out, and were quite pleased. We don't do the breakfast thing very often, but this was a treat. I usually think of breakfast dinners as comfort food at best. This is definitely a step up. I had the hash and eggs, and the flavors were just right. My girlfriend had a simple breakfast with a pancake, and felt all was well.
The menu is real busy, and we had to ask the waitress to give us a bit more time. There are a lot of choices, with a lot of the fare being a notch above what you expect at a breakfast nook around here. My partner thought the home fries were a bit plain, and could use some spice, when I pointed out, that they indicated this on the menu, and offered to spice them up as you please. Again, a busy menu with a lot of choices for everyone.
As for the service and seating mentioned in previous posts. A bit slow, but just fine considering each meal seems cooked to order, and the quality shows. The seating was OK. We did get one of those funky half tables, and I understand what other posts have said. There was enough room at them, but they’re a bit awkward, as you are not really sitting across the table from each other. I would recommend this as a local breakfast for very good food, as long as you not looking for a “get’m in , get’m out, over easy with two puppy on a blanket” type atmosphere. Bon Apetit.
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:57 AM   #22
dpg

Sounds as though they need to do something about their speed. Why can't you be quicker AND good too? Hire another cook?
Old 09-24-2008, 12:20 PM   #23
Zeke

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Sounds as though they need to do something about their speed. Why can't you be quicker AND good too? Hire another cook?
I can't speak for the others who commented on the speed, but I had no problem with it, though it was a bit slower than a typical breakfast dinner. We waited about 20 min. . But I feel the speed we recieved our food, was in line with the quality. As for the wait, 5 min. , not bad. If there is a wait, it's not a bad sign.
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 06:14 PM   #24
Newbiesaukee

We took a trip to the southern side of the Lake today and visited Kitchen Cravings. Bottom line, it was worth the trip. The menu is quite large and we did take note of the weird tables for two. The people in front of us asked if we would share a table which we did and the four of us were at a six table. We had a lovely breakfast with two lovely ladies. I had the corn beef hash and Mrs. N had some combo with a little bit of everything. Place was busy at 11 am on a Wednesday, but no wait. Service was fine and pace was what I would expect at a cooked -to-order place. ( I must say, our go-to breakfast at the Village Kitchen is extraordinarily speedy given the volume....but I guess they have been at it for a while).

All in all, Kitchen Cravings is a great addition to the Lake. It is reassuring to go to a place where you get the feeling that someone really cares about providing a quality product and service.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:14 AM   #25
riverat

Because the Menu is so extensive, I thought putting a Link to it on here for your review(before you visit) might be a good thing. Hope it comes out OK.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p...2000/menu2.jpg
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p...2000/menu1.jpg
angela4design (09-25-2008), MaidenCove07 (10-03-2008), moose tracks (09-26-2008)
Old 09-25-2008, 08:40 AM   #26
angela4design

Default Kids?

The menu looks great!

Do you think this would be a "kid-friendly" spot?
angela4design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 05:45 AM   #27
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
The people in front of us asked if we would share a table which we did and the four of us were at a six table. We had a lovely breakfast with two lovely ladies.
O.K. come clean with us. Were they lovely ladies or were they HOT!!
Old 09-26-2008, 06:22 AM   #28
Woodsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela4design View Post
The menu looks great!

Angela...

It is absolutely a kid friendly spot! I saw several families having breakfast when I visited there last weekend!

I highly recommend going! I had the homemade hash & eggs.... as stated by others it was fantastic! My girlfriend had the eggs benedict with asparagus! It was awesome, shaved ham, asparagus and perfect hollandaise sauce! The service was good, and the portions were large! You have a bit of a wait, because its all homemade... but its soo worth it!

Woodsy

PS: I cleaned them out of molasses cookies on my way out the door... they were awesome!
Old 09-26-2008, 07:10 AM   #29
Dave M

Good the ladies asked to speed up the waiting line but I wonder if the two lovely ladies didn't want to sit at the so called half tables. Got to git rid of those. Wonder if Cravings reads the forum.

Dave M
Old 09-26-2008, 08:27 AM   #30
Newbiesaukee

Quote:
O.K. come clean with us. Were they lovely ladies or were they HOT!!
You put me between the proverbial rock and a......so this is the official answer:They were lovely.....Mrs. N, sitting next to me, is HOT.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:33 AM   #31
Newbiesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
Good the ladies asked to speed up the waiting line but I wonder if the two lovely ladies didn't want to sit at the so called half tables. Got to git rid of those. Wonder if Cravings reads the forum.

Dave M
The lovely ladies did NOT want to sit at the half-tables; this is why they asked us to join them. I must admit I was hoping it was my charm, but Mrs. N said she did not feel this was likely.
Old 09-27-2008, 02:07 PM   #32
riverat

Thumbs up

Well we finally went to Kitchen Cravings today and it was as good as I expected! Excellent experience, great food and service. Wife had the cornbeef hash and loved it, I had the special - Prime Rib Steak and eggs and it was perfect except I could not eat it all! (our toy fox terrier gave a thumbs up to the rib eye also) All and all a great dining experience and will be looking forward to our next visit.
Old 09-27-2008, 03:11 PM   #33
flyguy

Default Where are YOU guys eating?????

Finally got a chance to go today. VERY disappointing.

Sat around noon, a short wait for a REAL table (Personally I would have refused to sit at a half-round table facing a wall.) Service was prompt and friendly.

My co-pilot ordered the sausage gravy on biscuit. While it was OK (I've definitely had better at the Sandwich Shoppe), it was cold in the middle. The so-called "hash browns" that came with it were hard, barely cooked commercial chunks of potato with no seasoning, no onions, no taste.

I just wanted to nibble, so I ordered beans (they were out), their homemade "hash", and a biscuit. The (cold) hash looked more like shredded beef- gray and dry with an occasional potato lump (same ones as the wife had) mixed in. The busicuit was perfectly cooked, and perfectly tasteless.

The coffee was OK, but not as good as the Black Cat's used to be.

We will not be back.
Old 09-27-2008, 03:37 PM   #34
Taz

Default Cravings

Flyguy, I have learned one thing about restaurant reviews. Don't listen. No restaurant no matter how good will please everyone. By the same token bad restaurants will have some who enjoyed their meal. I try restaurants and make my own decision. Personally, my visit to Cravings was excellent and I would definitely go back. In my opinion my breakfast was as good as any I have had around the lakes region and that goes for my wife, our friends who joined us and as you have read, many on this forum.
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 06:54 PM   #35
Pineedles

Default Restuarant reviews

I disagree that restuarant reviews should be ignored. Consistantancy is the issue. Here we had 2 people review on the same morning, seperated by a few hours. One whose meal was perfect, the other not. Personal preferences aside, a cold center of hash browns is not something to ignore, I do believe that a premium eating place should deliver consistancy across all dishes served, but the basics should always be the same (tasty, hot, and served on time). The cost of the meal may be higher to achieve this consistancy but that is the price you pay for good food, everytime. I don't look for establishments that are priced higher, but neither am I discouraged by those that serve up the basics consistantly at a higher cost then others.

You get what you pay for! I have no affiliation with the Woodshed, but that is an example of consistancy and at a higher price for it.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pineedles For This Useful Post:
chipj29 (09-29-2008)
Old 09-28-2008, 09:07 AM   #36
flyguy

Default Amen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
I disagree that restuarant reviews should be ignored. Consistantancy is the issue.
AMEN! After all the glowing reviews I've read here, if I had any bias walking in it was in Cravings favor. So were were amazed and disappointed when our meal turned out as poorly as it did. I even hesitated to review it here (remembering what happened to one "phantom"!), but felt it was only fair to lower expectations.

I hope all of you who enjoyed it continue to do so.

(PS-I have no relationship with any local restaurant or owner.)
Old 09-28-2008, 08:17 PM   #37
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Thumbs up Finally made it to Kitchen Cravings

The Boss, had been twice with friends and really liked it. We went today with a group of four. The wait was short, about 10-12 mins.. As others have noted the menu is very large.
All in our group loved the food. I really liked the corned beef hash. Very different, shreaded real corned beef and large chunks of red potatoes. We all had some form of eggs. Fried, Scrambled and Benedict. All cooked as ordered.
I loved the pictures and history on the walls and the staff was attentive and professional. They even have a post card from Lake Shore Park That alone had me hooked..
I did take a peek at the half tables and I agree I don't think I'd like to eat a one. I don't really like to "hurry" when I go out for a meal, so the slightly slower pace of service was not a problem for me.
Overall I would rate it very good.
Old 09-29-2008, 06:06 AM   #38
dpg

Quote:
Finally got a chance to go today. VERY disappointing.

Sat around noon, a short wait for a REAL table (Personally I would have refused to sit at a half-round table facing a wall.) Service was prompt and friendly.

My co-pilot ordered the sausage gravy on biscuit. While it was OK (I've definitely had better at the Sandwich Shoppe), it was cold in the middle. The so-called "hash browns" that came with it were hard, barely cooked commercial chunks of potato with no seasoning, no onions, no taste.

I just wanted to nibble, so I ordered beans (they were out), their homemade "hash", and a biscuit. The (cold) hash looked more like shredded beef- gray and dry with an occasional potato lump (same ones as the wife had) mixed in. The busicuit was perfectly cooked, and perfectly tasteless.

The coffee was OK, but not as good as the Black Cat's used to be.

We will not be back.
I generally try restaurants myself and do not go according to ratings from other people. However I must wonder how so many people can rave about an establishment and one person dislike it so much? Doesn't make sense.
Old 09-29-2008, 06:57 AM   #39
ILoveWinnipesaukee

Default Sometimes cooks have issues

Quote:
I generally try restaurants myself and do not go according to ratings from other people. However I must wonder how so many people can rave about an establishment and one person dislike it so much? Doesn't make sense.
I know that I have gone to restaurants that I have loved many times before, but for one reason or another, there is a time that nothing tasted good, nothing was hot, and I swore I would never go back. Possibly when the member that had a bad experience went, the main cook could have had to leave, or maybe there was an issue with the stoves. I never judge a restaurant on what other people think, except to try it and keep an open mind.

I would give the place a second change, especially if most everyone else is saying such good things about it.
ILoveWinnipesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 03:21 PM   #40
Winnigirl83

Default I didn't care for it, either.

Flyguy-I'm so glad someone else agrees with me! I was beginning to wonder if my taste buds were that far off from everyone else's. I actually hesitated posting my "review" because so many others liked it.
Winnigirl83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 02:11 PM   #41
The Big Kahuna

Default Outstanding Answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
You put me between the proverbial rock and a......so this is the official answer:They were lovely.....Mrs. N, sitting next to me, is HOT.
That is a great answer that only could be answered by an experienced married individual.
The Big Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 02:30 PM   #42
The Big Kahuna

Default Kid-friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela4design View Post
The menu looks great!

Lets keep the kids at McDonalds and the other fast food places and leave the good places to the adults.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:36 PM   #43
The Big Kahuna

Default There is always one

Quote:
That is because there is always that one! No matter how hard or how good a place is, there is that one person that will find something wrong with it. Everyone knows that one person like that, you all know what I mean.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:34 PM   #44
jeffk

Default Every place can have an off night

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveWinnipesaukee View Post
I know that I have gone to restaurants that I have loved many times before, but for one reason or another, there is a time that nothing tasted good, nothing was hot, and I swore I would never go back. Possibly when the member that had a bad experience went, the main cook could have had to leave, or maybe there was an issue with the stoves. I never judge a restaurant on what other people think, except to try it and keep an open mind.

I would give the place a second change, especially if most everyone else is saying such good things about it.
This is where the wait staff or the hostess can make a huge difference. If I am unhappy with the meal and the wait staff seem unconcerned then I probably won't go back. I would expect the staff to be very concerned and depending on how poor the experience was to offer something like a coupon for free appetizers for the next visit. Then I am willing to give it a second chance.

One of the problems I have is that some of the restaurants are out of the way. I make a special effort to get to it and if it doesn't measure up I am unlikely to make the effort again. Restaurants that are closer I might try several times before writing them off. Another thing, often I just want to go where I KNOW I am going to have a good meal. I don't want to take a chance or experiment. On those occasions I am going to go for sure things, not try some place that has disappointed me already. For the time I feel more adventurous I will go somewhere new or give a place a second chance.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:08 PM   #45
Waterbaby

Default Kid-Friendly, or Not-Kid Friendly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Kahuna View Post
Lets keep the kids at McDonalds and the other fast food places and leave the good places to the adults.
I may have to start a poll on this, so I'll ask you first, , which are you? I must make my disclaimer, to start with -- I have a 13-year-old son, and I used to be a kid myself -- and sometimes still act like one. I've always been kid-friendly, especially in breakfast and lunch-type places! I would agree with your comment if it were referring to an upper-scale dinner venue, but certainly not to the typically more informal B&L venues.

BTW, loved you response to Newbiesaukee!
Old 10-01-2008, 06:22 AM   #46
chipj29

Thumbs down

Quote:
I can't begin to say how strongly I disagree with this statement. I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are not being serious.
hazelnut (09-28-2009), kaj (10-01-2008), Resident 2B (10-01-2008)
Old 10-01-2008, 10:35 PM   #47
Mr. V

Quote:
Right on!

Few things are as annoying as an ill-mannered, howling little clone distracting me from enjoying my meal.

Certain restaurants, the more expensive, quality ones, should prohibit children.

We do it with smokers, why not with this equally irksome annoyance?
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:20 AM   #48
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
Right on!

Few things are as annoying as an ill-mannered, howling little clone distracting me from enjoying my meal.

Certain restaurants, the more expensive, quality ones, should prohibit children.

Maybe you should just stop going out to dinner.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:12 AM   #49
sa meredith

Default ?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
Right on!

PROHIBIT CHILDREN???!!!!!
Yeah, that'll go over real well.
When you open your restaurant, you go ahead and post that sign at the entrance, and let us all know how it was received.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:50 AM   #50
SIKSUKR

Come you guys.He's trolling again.He loves to stir the pot.don't help him.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:19 AM   #51
Mee-n-Mac

Question Troll or Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Come you guys.He's trolling again.He loves to stir the pot.don't help him.
I can't tell if he's agreeing with Big Kahuna or be facetious but they have a point. Some of the kids today are unruly and the parents don't act like the parents of a prior generation would have to put a stop to it. I find the "better" restaurants have informally set aside a family section and an adults only section. Of course if you want to minimize the chances of be seated next to an unruly kid then eat "late", after 8pm. Most families go between 5-7 PM.

Ask yourselves this one question .... If you were on an intercontinental flight w/o reserved seating would you choose the empty seats just infront of the couple with a 2-3 yr old or the empty seats next to the 70 yr old couple ?

Kids in general don't bother me but there have been a few times when I've wanted to get up and paddle the little brat and then tell the parents "See, that's how it's done !"

I now return you to the original topic ....

Last edited by Mee-n-Mac; 10-02-2008 at 11:20 AM. Reason: spellun
Mee-n-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mee-n-Mac For This Useful Post:
ILoveWinnipesaukee (10-03-2008), Rose (10-02-2008), Seeker (10-02-2008)
Old 10-02-2008, 11:39 AM   #52
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac View Post
I can't tell if he's agreeing with Big Kahuna or be facetious but they have a point. Some of the kids today are unruly and the parents don't act like the parents of a prior generation would have to put a stop to it. I find the "better" restaurants have informally set aside a family section and an adults only section. Of course if you want to minimize the chances of be seated next to an unruly kid then eat "late", after 8pm. Most families go between 5-7 PM.

Ask yourselves this one question .... If you were on an intercontinental flight w/o reserved seating would you choose the empty seats just infront of the couple with a 2-3 yr old or the empty seats next to the 70 yr old couple ?

Kids in general don't bother me but there have been a few times when I've wanted to get up and paddle the little brat and then tell the parents "See, that's how it's done !"

I now return you to the original topic ....
I don't think many people here will disagree with you on this. Even those of us with kids. However...and this is a big however...does an unruly kid here or there warrant banning ALL KIDS from restaurants or airplanes?
Of course there are unruly kids, always have been and always will be. But to ban them from the public is just wrong IMO.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:52 AM   #53
Mee-n-Mac

Question Ban kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
I don't think many people here will disagree with you on this. Even those of us with kids. However...and this is a big however...does an unruly kid here or there warrant banning ALL KIDS from restaurants or airplanes?
Of course there are unruly kids, always have been and always will be. But to ban them from the public is just wrong IMO.
To answer your question directly ... no, of course not. That said I have no problem with a restaurant that doesn't want kids nor ones that want to be family friendly. It's their (business) decision IMO. Ideally the economy would support both so "we" would have the choice to make.

Any chance "we" can ban certain people from being parents ....
Old 10-02-2008, 12:00 PM   #54
Waterbaby

Quote:
Now there's an idea! I can think of a few right off the top of my head,lol!
Old 10-02-2008, 02:16 PM   #55
chipj29

Quote:
To answer your question directly ... no, of course not. That said I have no problem with a restaurant that doesn't want kids nor ones that want to be family friendly. It's their (business) decision IMO. Ideally the economy would support both so "we" would have the choice to make.
I completely agree with that...I had the same opinion regarding the smoking law.

Quote:
Wouldn't that be nice. I had to pass a test to drive my boat...shouldn't a potential parent have to pass some kind of test?
Old 10-02-2008, 03:56 PM   #56
flyguy

Default Not the case...

Quote:
No matter how hard or how good a place is, there is that one person that will find something wrong with it.
Read my post again, BK. I wanted to discover a great new place for breakfast! And if you read ALL the posts, you will discover I am not the only disappointed customer.

BTW- on the day we went, the owner was cooking. Maybe he was having a bad day.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:48 PM   #57
sa meredith

Default no bad publicity

Tomorrow (Friday) morning, I'm going to forego my normal Friday breakfast at George's, and make the drive over just to try this place....based on all the activity on this thread. So, I guess what they say is true: "There is no such thing as bad publicity."

This week, and then next, and close the camp up for the year. Very sad!
Old 10-02-2008, 06:26 PM   #58
jtb

Default To FlyGuy

Quote:
Read my post again, BK. I wanted to discover a great new place for breakfast! And if you read ALL the posts, you will discover I am not the only disappointed customer.

BTW- on the day we went, the owner was cooking. Maybe he was having a bad day.
My question is, did you even make the effort to tell anyone you were having a bad experiance? Or are you just one of those people who find fault in everything, expect it all to be perfect all the time, without any regard for a couple of very hard working local business owners? I am sure that had you mentioned to your server your concerns they would have done everything in their power to correct your issues. I think you like the attention. You are obviously following this discussion thread without posting. You stated that you will not be back. If you have already dismissed this establishment, then why are you continuing to monitor the chat activity? Like I said, you like the attention! Keep in mind while you are trashing this business, that they opened the Saturday of Labor Day weekend, and are struggling like any business to work out their kinks and get established.
jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:02 PM   #59
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
Maybe you should just stop going out to dinner.
Gee, maybe parents with ill-behaved children should stop going out to dinner with their ill-behaved children.

Shrieking, noisy little heathens have no place in a good quality restaurant.

Think of it this way: would you tolerate comparable behavior from an adult?

Didn't think so.

Just because they're young doesn't mean we should cut the little whippersnappers any slack.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:12 PM   #60
Newbiesaukee

We visited yesterday, for the second time, with friends. It was closer to lunch so most of us ordered sandwiches. I read the menu more carefully and the astounding thing is the huge number of choices and each has multiple options. I had the maple glazed haddock sandwich on a soft baguette which came with a large portion of delicious cole slaw and, I believe, fries ( I didn't get these). Sandwich was very good. My friend got a "black and blue" which was pastrami and his wife got a "regional" specialty sandwich with turkey and cheese of some kind. My wife got the waffle. He loved his sandwich, his wife liked hers although not totally "authentic" compared to what she was used to. But again, I wouldn"t have expected the Cuban sandwich (also on the menu) to have been the same as in Miami. My wife's waffle was a little "heavy" for her, but this is a very personal preference. The service was pleasant and the pace leisurely. The point of all this is that this is a new local restaurant, with an unbelievably ambitious menu, trying to give the customer a new home cooked experience. Not every dish was perfect, but, on balance, it is definitely, worth a visit. For the record, I had the corned beef hash on the earlier visit...it was "dryish" rather than greasy but I really liked it. I do feel each poster is entitled to his/her opinion and should not be attacked for giving it. Kitchen Cravings deserves your consideration. I have no connection with anyone there and do not even know them.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:34 PM   #61
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtb View Post
My question is, did you even make the effort to tell anyone you were having a bad experiance? Or are you just one of those people who find fault in everything, expect it all to be perfect all the time, without any regard for a couple of very hard working local business owners? I am sure that had you mentioned to your server your concerns they would have done everything in their power to correct your issues. I think you like the attention. You are obviously following this discussion thread without posting. You stated that you will not be back. If you have already dismissed this establishment, then why are you continuing to monitor the chat activity? Like I said, you like the attention! Keep in mind while you are trashing this business, that they opened the Saturday of Labor Day weekend, and are struggling like any business to work out their kinks and get established.
jtb - I think you are off base in your assessment of Flyguy. I do not know him (or her) but he/she has been active on this thread as far as I can discern. ANY restaurant can have a bad day. I wrote a real bad review on the W___S___ and got slammed by many and accepted by a few that had similar experiences. Sometimes you just can't complain to the waitstaff if they're not available. I have never been to KC and will of course not comment on it until I do visit.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seeker For This Useful Post:
Resident 2B (10-02-2008), Waterbaby (10-02-2008)
Old 10-02-2008, 11:25 PM   #62
Resident 2B

Default Well Behaved Children and Poor Restaurant Ownership Decisions

Quote:
Several years ago, when we had a child who was at the time 10 years old, we had reservations at a very popular Center Harbor restaurant, which I named in another thread but will not name now, and they seated our party of six at a table in the bar that was about two square feet in area, for a high-end, sit-down dinner, again for six people. When we asked why we could not be seated in the dining room when we had dinner reservations for six, we were told that with a "kid" in our party, the dining roon was off limits for us. For the record, our youngest was 10 at the time, but all others were 16+.

Now that our children range in age from 13 to 24 and some with significant others, we still refuse to spend our hard earned money at this restaurant and we will never go there again, even if many think this is the best restaurant in Center Harbor. Our party size is usually 8 and with top choices on the menu and good wines for all of legal age, our bill is usually in the $450+ range and often tops $600. We will never forget the rude reception we had at this restaurant and they will never see one penny of our family's money as long as they are in business.

For those of you in the restaurant business facing hard times in today's economy, please be aware that a policy of "no children in the dining room" is coming back to bite you, right in the pocketbook at a time when I believe it really hurts. Please be aware, kids get older and become paying customers, in time. In addition, mis-treated customers in the form of families, have very, very good memories. Please be fair to all families. Control the few that are out-of-control, but admit all without restriction.

That all said, some families have zero control over their children and should be asked to leave restaurants due to their disruption of the dining experience for other guests. I think the restaurants must control their guests, no matter how old they are. When we were seated in the bar in the experience noted above, many of the bar patrons were loudly swearing and were very vocal, both poor behaviors that should have been addressed by a restaurant that expected an appropriate environment for all their customers, as we were told when we were refused a table in the dining room. Although they refuse to service us in an appropirate setting, they did nothing to control the out-of-control adults in the bar area.

Clearly the bar was not an appropriate environment for children and we decided to leave and never return.

If anyone wants to know the name of the restaurant, send me a PM and I will respond. I am now 60 years old and I will remember and share my experience about this with any interested parties for the rest of my life. This was, and still is from what I am told, very poor restaurant decision making and management.

They should be "up the creek" without a paddle.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:25 AM   #63
TomC

Default I had a similar experience..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident 2B View Post
They should be "up the creek" without a paddle.

R2B
i know who you mean... LOL at your "clue". Won't spend a dime there either...
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 06:55 AM   #64
Rose

Quote:
Now that our children range in age from 13 to 24 and some with significant others, we still refuse to spend our hard earned money at this restaurant and we will never go there again
I'm pretty sure the policy has changed under new ownership...would you consider going back if that is the case? I really do think it's better than the other very popular restaurant in Center Harbor whose name begins with the same letter.

There's a restaurant local to my home that I refuse to spend my hard earned money at because they let two girls run rampant around the restaurant on a Super Bowl Sunday...so restaurants are damned if they do or damned if they don't. I personally like M-n-M's idea of paddling the little brats myself. I'd also add verbal whipping of the parents as well.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:12 AM   #65
Resident 2B

Rose,

I am fairly sure that they have the same owner, but to be fair I have paid zero attention to this place for the last few years. If policies have changed, I would go back as long as it was a different owner.

I also agree the other restaurant in Center Harbor is superior and very well run. When we are up in that part of the lake for dinner, that is where we go.

I do not at all like it when children are allowed by the parents and restaurant staff to be out-of-control. If they are not behaving, then out the door they should go. I do feel it is wrong to assume that all children will be a problem and have rules that do not allow them in certain parts of the restaurant. It is even worse to force families with children to sit in a bar area with small cocktail tables within earshot of out-of-control adults.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 12:54 PM   #66
Rose

Quote:
I am fairly sure that they have the same owner, but to be fair I have paid zero attention to this place for the last few years. If policies have changed, I would go back as long as it was a different owner.
Check out this thread. New ownership as of April 2007.

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ead.php?t=3626

Perhaps the former owner would like to comment on their reasoning behind the limitation on kids.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rose For This Useful Post:
Resident 2B (10-03-2008)
Old 10-04-2008, 09:48 AM   #67
sa meredith

Default OK, I guess....

So Friday morning, I made the 20 minute drive over to Kitchen Cravings, simply because I was intrigued by this thread.
It actually took me a second to figure out how to drive into the lot, but no biggie. There is no access from the main road.
Anyway...I have to say I experienced a little bit of everything posted through out this thread. I was very impressed with the dining room upon entering...looked just plain great. And all the old photots on the walls...perfect "lake" atmosphere.
Terrible greeting...almost felt like I was bothering them at first. I walked in, no wait, and didn't know if it was "seat yourself" or "wait to be seated". Is there anything worse than going to a place for the first time, and you have that awkward pause when you first enter, not being sure of what to do?
Put a sign up, or train your employees to be sure, no matter how busy, to greet every new arrival (with a smile, by the way...people seemed pretty grumpy there). Anyway, I actaully had to ask, and a woman led me over to the famous "half tables". I was solo, by the way.
OK...no need for discussion here...these half table are rotten, rotten, rotten! Take them out today. No maybe...no saying "that's just your opinion". It's a fact. They are terrible. I'm sitting there, alone, facing the wall...which is only two feet from my face. I am sitting with my back to everyone in a room, staring at a wall. Think about this for a second.
Now, there are some neat photos in this place. Some really great ones. They make you want to get up and walk around to see them all. But, imagine what happens everytime I turn to look around. A waitress thinks I am trying to get her attention. And that's good...a waitress checking if you need something. But each time I would turn someone would come by. And I became pretty familiar with the three pictures in my face, so I was curious to look around a bit. But after three games of cat and mouse..."oh, do you need something?" "oh, no, I'm fine. Thank you for asking." I decided to get lost in my newspaper.
After the initial greeting, I must say, the service turned out very good, and there were several smiles.
I found the menu very busy...very busy! So many things and different options. I got eggs and hash, potatoes, white toasts. Sorry, and maybe it was a fluke, but thumbs down. Way down. The scrambled eggs were...let's see, imagine putting two eggs on a grill like you were going to make them over easy, but decide to run a fork back and forth thru them (before they are cooked) and them wait and turn them with a spacheler. The eggs were on the plate, and looked like a round, yellow, over cooked pancake. Like no other scambled eggs I have ever had.
The hash was dehydrated strings of corned beef, over some chukns of redskin potatoes...maybe it was just not "my taste", but I didn't really care for it. So, I was not crazy about the food...but I honestly don't hold it against them. Maybe I just ordered the wrong thing. There are many other itmes to choose...but they did miss the mark on the eggs. Did I tell them?
Of course not. Maybe that is just the way they do it there. And did I ask for a different table? No, as I don't think it would be fair to tie up a table for 6 for just me.
And, although this may sound like a negative review, it really isn't. I just didn't care for what I ordered. Would I go back??? Not really my ideal breakfast place. But I would HIGHLY recommend it to someone, like, say, my parents. Older retired folks, who would prefer a slighly more upscale place for breakfast than a diner. It would be perfect for them. And they would love the look of the dining room...nice atmosphere.
But the half tables????? Burn them this afternoon.
Go Sox!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sa meredith For This Useful Post:
Seeker (10-05-2008), Waterbaby (10-04-2008)
Old 10-04-2008, 10:10 AM   #68
Newbiesaukee

sa that is the kind of review that IS helpful to anyone trying to make a decision. Thanks.
Old 10-04-2008, 01:58 PM   #69
Irish mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith View Post
So Friday morning, I made the 20 minute drive over to Kitchen Cravings, simply because I was intrigued by this thread.
It actually took me a second to figure out how to drive into the lot, but no biggie. There is no access from the main road.
Anyway...I have to say I experienced a little bit of everything posted through out this thread. I was very impressed with the dining room upon entering...looked just plain great. And all the old photots on the walls...perfect "lake" atmosphere.
Terrible greeting...almost felt like I was bothering them at first. I walked in, no wait, and didn't know if it was "seat yourself" or "wait to be seated". Is there anything worse than going to a place for the first time, and you have that awkward pause when you first enter, not being sure of what to do?
Put a sign up, or train your employees to be sure, no matter how busy, to greet every new arrival (with a smile, by the way...people seemed pretty grumpy there). Anyway, I actaully had to ask, and a woman led me over to the famous "half tables". I was solo, by the way.
OK...no need for discussion here...these half table are rotten, rotten, rotten! Take them out today. No maybe...no saying "that's just your opinion". It's a fact. They are terrible. I'm sitting there, alone, facing the wall...which is only two feet from my face. I am sitting with my back to everyone in a room, staring at a wall. Think about this for a second.
Now, there are some neat photos in this place. Some really great ones. They make you want to get up and walk around to see them all. But, imagine what happens everytime I turn to look around. A waitress thinks I am trying to get her attention. And that's good...a waitress checking if you need something. But each time I would turn someone would come by. And I became pretty familiar with the three pictures in my face, so I was curious to look around a bit. But after three games of cat and mouse..."oh, do you need something?" "oh, no, I'm fine. Thank you for asking." I decided to get lost in my newspaper.
After the initial greeting, I must say, the service turned out very good, and there were several smiles.
I found the menu very busy...very busy! So many things and different options. I got eggs and hash, potatoes, white toasts. Sorry, and maybe it was a fluke, but thumbs down. Way down. The scrambled eggs were...let's see, imagine putting two eggs on a grill like you were going to make them over easy, but decide to run a fork back and forth thru them (before they are cooked) and them wait and turn them with a spacheler. The eggs were on the plate, and looked like a round, yellow, over cooked pancake. Like no other scambled eggs I have ever had.
The hash was dehydrated strings of corned beef, over some chukns of redskin potatoes...maybe it was just not "my taste", but I didn't really care for it. So, I was not crazy about the food...but I honestly don't hold it against them. Maybe I just ordered the wrong thing. There are many other itmes to choose...but they did miss the mark on the eggs. Did I tell them?
Of course not. Maybe that is just the way they do it there. And did I ask for a different table? No, as I don't think it would be fair to tie up a table for 6 for just me.
And, although this may sound like a negative review, it really isn't. I just didn't care for what I ordered. Would I go back??? Not really my ideal breakfast place. But I would HIGHLY recommend it to someone, like, say, my parents. Older retired folks, who would prefer a slighly more upscale place for breakfast than a diner. It would be perfect for them. And they would love the look of the dining room...nice atmosphere.
But the half tables????? Burn them this afternoon.
Go Sox!
I'm sorry....but I can't stop laughing thinking of you sitting at the table facing the wall I'm happy that it all ended well for you though, good review.
________
FORD ASPIRE HISTORY

Last edited by Irish mist; 02-27-2011 at 10:29 PM.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 08:06 PM   #70
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish mist View Post
I'm sorry....but I can't stop laughing thinking of you sitting at the table facing the wall I'm happy that it all ended well for you though, good review.
Ditto...

Here's just what sa meredith needs...

Perhaps upon his next visit, sa meredith will have the privilege of being seated in the corner and thus, be able to view two walls, without alerting the wait staff.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:24 PM   #71
MaidenCove07

Default Happy at Kitchen Cravings

I've discovered some of the best restaurants in the area thanks to this forum.

Kitchen Cravings is another gem.

We headed over at 10:30 today. Thanks to forum members for helping us find our way in - it's not too intuitive There was no wait so we got a table for 6 for our little batch of 2...felt bad but intended to invite another couple to join us as suggested here...never got the chance though.

My first observations - what great memorabilia on the walls!!! I wandered where I could to take it all in. Brought back great memories of the old King's Grant Inn, the Queen of Winnipesaukee....etc. If you go - look around. Take it in. Enjoy the view. It's worth it.

That brings me to my next observation...the staff have a great deal of trouble getting to the "infamous" half tables when the other larger tables are full. I saw a poor older couple nearly have to leave their table for the waiter to get back and forth to the table behind them...I'd see that as a terrible inconvenience. I would have been very dissatisfied had that been my table, no matter how good the food was. LOSE THE HALF TABLES!!!!!!

Next observation - the menu! WOW - there were so many options I was at a loss about what to choose. The waitress asked "have I given you enough time to find something on the menu?" She must hear a lot that the menu is extensive.

I've read so much about the hash and Benedict, that I ordered that. I noticed on the menu that the home fries are purposefully plain, but that you can flavor them any way you like - though the menu didn't offer any options as to what to flavor them with. I asked for mine to be with salsa! It was home made and very tasty. Fresh tomatoes and what I'd call medium spice. The hash was more meat than potatoes which was fine with me because I had the hash browns anyway. The Hollandaise sauce on the Benedict was very good, I even ordered more which they didn't charge me for. Couldn't tell about the home made English muffin because it was covered with hash, eggs and sauce, but I think it was probably very good. My comment here is that the food was not quite hot enough and the poached eggs could have been cooked a little longer.

My partner ordered the "Pig Pile".....highly recommended if you like breakfast pork. The dish consisted of potatoes covered with home made toast, then sausage patties, bacon, eggs and smothered with sausage gravy. A heart attack on a plate I'm certain, but very satisfying and tasty. They offer Egg Beaters. The gravy is probably awesome in a Biscuits and Gravy dish.

Next up - the service. It was outstanding. Though I agree there is some confusion about if I were to seat myself or be seated, we only waited a short moment to find out. A friendly gal who was not ultimately our server brought us to a 6 top table. We were greeted right away and asked for our drink order, we never had to wait for coffee, there always seemed to be a pot making the rounds (and 75 cents for a cup of coffee...WOW), our server was friendly and engaged us in conversation, and the check was only $18. (We've paid nearly $30 for breakfast at Donna Jean's for a similar meal.)

We'll definitely be back, but will avoid those half tables at all costs.
I plan to order the Elvis special (peanut butter and bananas on grilled bread ) the next time I go, unless something else on the menu grabs my eye.
MaidenCove07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 11:54 AM   #72
sa meredith

Default thanks guys

Maidencove07...seems like your party and I had a simlilar experience and had similar observations. I'm glad you enjoyed your food. And believe me, you made the right decision to avoid the "half tables".
Now...to the others....I'm glad you enjoyed the fact I had to sit facing the wall, by myself. Sort like I was in a "time out". In the future, I will make an effort to behave myself, thus avoiding this punishment. hahahha
I guess if I was that unhapppy, I could have asked to move. It was pretty funny, and I must have looked foolish siting there.
To the owners of K.C. ....rip those half tables out today, and burn them in the parking lot. You otherwise have a very nice spot there, and I have already recommened your place to several family members.
Go Sox!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-05-2008, 02:19 PM   #73
NBR

We will try Cravings but thanks to all of you I will not accept a 1/2 table. I might wait longer but even the idea of those things is repulsive.

On a second note part of our family is in the restaurant business although not local. When you are not pleased with the food or the service they want to know about it. How can you fix a problem without knowing about it.

When we receive less than good service or substandard food I always nicely let the manager know what was not up to par. When we go back if it is still an issue I tell them again. It is kind of like baseball, a third strike and you are out.
NBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 02:36 PM   #74
Irish mist

Perfect GWC sa meredith.......we are just kidding around
________
MONTANA MEDICAL MARIJUANA

Last edited by Irish mist; 02-27-2011 at 10:29 PM.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 03:11 PM   #75
sa meredith

Smile It's fine...and funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish mist View Post
Perfect GWC sa meredith.......we are just kidding around
Yes, I know you are kidding...and it really is funny. A guy, sitting alone, with his back the whole room. I felt quite foolish.
I ceratinly took no offense to what you posted. I agree.
I think I'll go back this Friday, and indeed ask if I can sit in the corner, so as to be able to see two walls (instead of one).
Old 10-05-2008, 03:57 PM   #76
Lakepilot

We stopped in today for lunch. We passed on the half table and were seated at the far end. A nice spot. I had the Cuban sandwich and my wife had a Pastrami sandwich. The service was good and the food was excellent. We will definitely go again.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 10:05 AM   #77
SIKSUKR

I think that the 1/2 table treatment for SA will be enough punishment for driving into the Witches this summer.You are now off the hook.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:05 PM   #78
redc5

Thumbs up

We had breakfast here this morning and the GFand I both loved it!!
I had french toast, home fries and bacon. Karen had a bunch of stuff smothered in sausage gravy. Both meals were real good, as was the service. I dont know what kind of coffee they serve, but it's a medium roast and had a ton of flavor.
We sat at a regular table, not a 1/2 table, and no, I will not sit at a 1/2 table in the future.

Wewill be back!!
redc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 05:39 PM   #79
callmeD

Default Pretty average ...

Yesterday I went to Kitchen Cravings because I wanted to know what all the hoopla was about. I went with a friend who had been there a few times before, and liked it.

I planned on meeting her there, and she arrived before I did. I walked in and saw her seated at one of the larger round tables, although she said she was initially shown to one of those infamous half tables facing the walls (ewww). She indicated her desire not to sit there and was given the larger round one.

The atmosphere was pleasant and not crowded, and there were probably about 10-12 people there, including two adorable small, loud children. I liked the pictures on the walls, but I felt it a little "overdone" with the other, many accessorites, in the windows, above the walls, etc., and I did not care for the man sitting in the bathtub out front.

We both ordered a veggie bean burger that came with lettuce and tomato on a toasted bun, and we ordered the french fries. We both agreed that the burger was bland and dry, and the fries were okay, but both were served reasonably hot.

The service was very good with our server coming over to ask if we needed anything, how our meal was, and to fill our coffee cups. When she filled our coffee cups, she neglected to also add additional cream cups which we needed, but did without.

Evidently it was the owner who came over to our table to talk to my friend, having met her before. She was very pleasant and wanted to know if the food was okay. We agreed and said yes.

Although my back was to the food preparation area, I found it a little odd that it would be visible to the dining area and thought a separating wall would have provided a nice separation. Instead, there was this strange looking ... I really forget what it was, but it was up against one of those half tables, right up against it, and a gentleman was sitting at that table. My friend and I commented that we wouldn't have liked sitting there (being a half table and all), and because the barrier was right flush against that table.

My friend and I took our time and visited together while eating, and after we were finished, but during our lunch and after, those two loud children were obviously very ready to leave, with Dad continuing to shoosh them until the adults were.

All in all, it was very average and I would not return without trying other places I haven't visited first, and there are a few on my list.

Just my .02.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:25 AM   #80
riverat

We again visited Kitchen Cravings yesterday after we did our duty and voted. Moderate crowd, only waited a couple minutes. Were seated and took on the task of deciding what to order this time, my wife and her friend ordered the "Black and Blue" Pastrami sandwich - one cheese one without.
My friend ordered the "Co-Pilot" and I ordered the "Pig Pile".
My dish was delicious with biscuits, homefries, sausage patties and eggs all smothered in sausage gravy. And I had to bring half of it home.
My friend had 2 pancakes, 2 eggs, 2 sausages, 2 bacon and homefries and polished it all off and said it was great. My wife loved her Pastrami, and her friend had to return hers because they had put cheese on it, they made a new sandwich and brought it out in a few minutes and she also was happy. Overall another satisfactory visit. Thanks for taking the time to read.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:19 PM   #81
Argie's Wife

Default Here's Lookin' At YOU... Kid.

Sounds like the place is a big hit! I can't wait to take my two screaming, hyperactive, over-sugar-fed, mannerless children there so that they can run around while we ignore them as we dine.

Seriously....

If you think you don't like it when kids act up in a restaurant, how do you think the parents feel? There's been times when I wanted to become invisible because of how my kids acted and then there's times when people have come to our table to compliment us on how well-behaved they were!

Going out to eat with kids is like a crap shoot. Sometimes you win and sometimes you don't. You think you've taught them manners and discipline, but you can't beat them simply because they whine at the table or get wiggly because the food is taking a while to come to the table or maybe there's not really kid-friendly menu sections for them.

As parents, you do the best you can in those settings and sometimes it means removing the child from the restaurant. Part of teaching them how to behave in public is practicing it - and they're not going to be angels each time.

Maybe kid-friendly restaurants should have a sign that reads: "No Miserable Old Farts"
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Argie's Wife For This Useful Post:
chipj29 (11-10-2008), Jmo77011 (05-05-2009), Waterbaby (11-08-2008)
Old 11-08-2008, 07:52 AM   #82
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

I think I'll take the miserable old farts.......they don't run around in the dining room or scream at the top of their voice........(not often anyway)All they do is make themselves and their waitress miserable,while the out of control child makes everybody miserable.
Everyone understands when a child is crying because they are hungry or being normally fussy as kids can be but I take issue with the parents that allow their kids to throw a purple-faced temper tantrum along with high pitched screaming because mom actually said "no" to extra M&M's on the chocolate pancakes.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
riverat (11-08-2008)
Old 11-08-2008, 09:50 PM   #83
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
I think I'll take the miserable old farts.......they don't run around in the dining room or scream at the top of their voice........(not often anyway)All they do is make themselves and their waitress miserable,while the out of control child makes everybody miserable.
Everyone understands when a child is crying because they are hungry or being normally fussy as kids can be but I take issue with the parents that allow their kids to throw a purple-faced temper tantrum along with high pitched screaming because mom actually said "no" to extra M&M's on the chocolate pancakes.
I'd never say "no" to extra M&M's on the chocolate pancakes!

(My 7 year old is the anti-sugar freak of the family - he'd turn them down himself!)
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 10:41 PM   #84
This'nThat

Default How about the tips?

I see everyone is pointing out how the waitresses are being extra friendly and attentive.

I certainly hope that's reflected in extra large tips for the ladies!
This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 07:32 AM   #85
SAMIAM

Thanks for pointing that out,This'n That. Waitstaff works their tails off and has to put up with more grief than you can imagine.Many are single moms or working a second job to make ends meet.
Those of you who are paid hourly or salaried,,,,think of what it must be like to have every customer decide what you are to be paid ,based on your performance.If it's busy and you can't get to a party quickly,or if you forget something on the order...expect to be punished.Even if the cook screws up,it's going to reflect on the tip.
If the weather is bad they can expect to work all day for very little.....maybe,not even enough to pay for gas and child care.
I could go on and on but don't want to rant too much because on real busy days they make great money.....and earn every penny of it.
I would only ask that if you are going out to eat,plan on leaving a great tip,even if everything is not perfect.It will be appreciated more than you know.
I know that everyone has a horror story about the gum chewing waitress who acts like you are an interuption to her day,but those are rare and don't last long in the business.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:16 AM   #86
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
I would only ask that if you are going out to eat,plan on leaving a great tip,even if everything is not perfect.It will be appreciated more than you know.
I leave a tip commensurate with the dining experience. I do not leave a "great" tip for normal/average service.

While I don't think a waitstaff person should need to grovel for their every penny, they shouldn't expect me to over-reward average service just because they are "stuck" in their job. This mindset is, IMO, half of the problem in America today, it seems everyone expects just a little more than they are "entitled" to.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:10 PM   #87
tis

Thanked 1,378 Times in 954 Posts

We always leave at least a 20% tip. But you may be right, brk, that may be a lot of the problem in America today, many expects just a little more than they are entitled to even for a poor job!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 07:49 AM   #88
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
We always leave at least a 20% tip. But you may be right, brk, that may be a lot of the problem in America today, many expects just a little more than they are entitled to even for a poor job!
Same here. I go into a place with 20% as a starting point. If service is great, then I go up to 25%, but rarely higher unless completely blown away. 10% is about as low as I can go for poor service, although I have to admit to a couple tremendously bad experiences that may have got the server a buck. And no, food quality does not reflect in my tip. Service quality does.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:02 AM   #89
GUNNER

I agree with both tis & chipj29. We always leave 20% when my wife & I dine alone. If the waitress is extremely bad we will leave 15%. When, on those special times, our 2 daughters, their husbands & our 4 grandchildren come up from NJ & we go out to dinner I tip a minimum of 25% & have tipped as high as 33% when the waitress really goes out of her/his way to take care of us, especially the kids who range in age from 10 down to 4. By the way they are really good when we do go out.

We tend to favor several favorite restaurants & when the wait staff knows you dining out is really fun. Some know us so well they just bring our drinks to the table before we order.

Gunner
GUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:37 PM   #90
SAMIAM

Gunner.....you're the best.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:40 PM   #91
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Don't get me wrong, I do tip well when the service is good, and wouldn't stiff someone over petty things. But I don't like the servers who seem to assume they are automatically entitled to 15 or 20% for just doing a base job. 9 times out of 10, I'll probably tip 20-25%, and I'll often throw a couple of dollars into the tip pool when I pickup takeout at a place like Fratellos that knows me well and always makes sure I'm in and out quickly.

Other times when my drink is empty so long the ice melts and evaporates, it's highly probable the server will see 9-10%.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:44 AM   #92
Dave M

Default Kitchen Cravings visit

Drove up to the Lake Saturday to check on the place and remove snow from the boat. Stopped in at Kitchen Cravings for breakfast(~11:30). Parking lot was crowded. Luckily for us there was a table that sits four and got there before a crowd showed up. Still don't like the wall tables. Why don't they just get a rectangle table wide enough for the chair to fit between leg and wall and cut the table in half for two place settings. Anyway the food was great. I had egg benedict with spinach and shaved ham and side of beans. Wife had two torlilla with 2 eggs on top with some sauce, home fries and a mini salad. Both were excellent(again). Haven't a bad meal there yet. Sally was checking tables and stopped at ours and asked how everything was. Also I'm a tea drinker and had to have my tea water heated up. Noticed a lady at the next table doing the same thing. When paying the bill I mentioned to our waitress that most tea drinkers like their water 'hot', mine I like boiling(supposed to be). Mentioned the lady at the next table. She agreed and mentioned that they get it out of a tap and zaps it if the customer wants it. She mentioned about bringing this up to owners.
Another good day at the Lake, nothing damaged. Took a lot of pictures.

Enjoy

Dave M
Old 03-28-2009, 12:01 PM   #93
Nadia

Smile Excellent Experience!

Hate to drag up a thread that looks like it died temporarily but during my browsing today I came across this and just had to post! Mom and I visited Kitchen Cravings about a month ago and it was excellent! I had my all time favorite, sausage biscuits and gravy, and Mom was naughty and had fresh fruit on a toasted roll smothered in chocolate! I forget what this creation was called but it was delicious, I snagged more than one bite. I admired the fresh, exotic fruit as well. Not your typical cocktail mix. Freshly prepared kiwi, mango and other exotic fruits. My biscuits were homemade, crumbly, just the way I like them. We had the pleasure of meeting the both of the owners when we told our server the pineapple lamp they had at the front desk was a famous fixture at Nadia's for years. Mom had quite an argument with the auctioneer for selling the lamp after she clearly told him not to! It was definately favored memorabilia. Well, seeing the lamp made us laugh at this point and when we told the owners the story they had a good chuckle with us. They were very friendly and welcoming. I enjoyed the decor, and the establishment was sparkling clean.

As far as the children running around screaming I feel that's the parent's fault. There is no such thing as bad children, it's bad parents. My daughter is seated, and remains seated when brought out to eat. If she does get restless and needs to stretch her legs, one of us follows her on her journey and usually takes her outside. She is very young and already knows the meaning of "indoor voice". When she accompanies us out to eat our main goal and focus is to keep her quiet, occupied, and content so as not to disturb others. If we have to take our meal/s to go we will, but firm and constant discipline that started at 6 months of age has prevented that so far. Some people's children control them, when it should be the other way around. There is a way to let your child know you are the boss without physical abuse, foul language, or threats. It is constant discipline. It gets tiring, it's frustrating, but it's the only tried and true method. If people can't control their kids, they should stay home with them. Just my .02
Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadia For This Useful Post:
riverat (03-31-2009)
Old 04-30-2009, 03:06 PM   #94
mike ray

Default fantastic breakfast

best breakfast I have had in a long time. keep up the good work guys! I will be back for sure.
mike ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 06:40 AM   #95
joelut

Thumbs up yumm! --burgers are awesome

I rarely write reviews or critiques but when I do it is because it is deserving. I preface this with that I have no affiliation with Kitchen Cravings and to be honest was skeptical about going there because it truly is in an odd spot that is very easy to overlook since it is at the entrance of Laconia airport in Gilford off Lakeshore Rd. I have yet to have breakfast but I was very impressed with their lunch. I had the reuben, my kids had burgers and my wife had the chopped salad. I was taken with the superb quality and freshness of all the ingredients which translated into exceptional execution in our orders. The owner explained to me they buy their ingredients fresh every day and have their meat ground fresh in the morning. I find that most places of the same ilk in the region have no idea how to differentiate between medium and medium rare but they did so with perfect handmade juicy burger execution. The burgers were 1/3 lb to a obscene 1 lb burger on the special board. These guys put Fuddruckers to shame. Home made potato chips were incrediblly flavorful, and the chocloate fudge brownie with vanilla ice cream was good as well as gigantic. The four of us could not finish 1 order split between us. The chopped salad with chicken was tasty, crisp and well presented, and the reuben was good but not great. I thought they were a little sparse with the corned beef, but to be fair, I'm used to NY Deli style reubens which are 3 inches tall with almost a pound of meat. Lastly, the service was excellent. Our waitress was very attentive and did not make us rush even though we came in at 1:45 which is 15 minutes before closing. We finished our lunch and desert by 2:45 and their was still people in the dining area. Unfortunately they are open only for breakfast and lunch and they close at 2 pm. I welcome whole heartedly Kitchen Cravings and will be going back many times this summer for what affectionely I call "tasty delights" .
joelut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joelut For This Useful Post:
SteveA (05-03-2009)
Old 05-06-2009, 06:36 PM   #96
The Big Kahuna

Default Great place

Have been there now several times for breakfast, big menu selection and great food, great service every time. Will continue to be a regular, been there by bike, snowmobile and car so far.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:08 AM   #97
Bigstan

Default Hashy goodness

After having hash two mornings in a row to make sure it was not a fluke I have but one complaint - the meat to potato ratio is about 90 to 1, the 2nd time I had to search for any potato at all. Not a bad problem to have.......

And also - if you like hot sauce try their homemade version of Tobasco -served in a Tobasco bottle - it's not bad at all.
Bigstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:54 AM   #98
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Talking I Agree About the Hash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigstan View Post
After having hash two mornings in a row to make sure it was not a fluke I have but one complaint - the meat to potato ratio is about 90 to 1, the 2nd time I had to search for any potato at all. Not a bad problem to have.......

And also - if you like hot sauce try their homemade version of Tobasco -served in a Tobasco bottle - it's not bad at all.
Rattlesnake Guy and I went back for a second visit this past Saturday. The last time I ordered way too much food, so this time I ordered just a side order of hash and side of home fries. Like Bigstan I wanted to be sure it's deliciousness wasn't a fluke. I would have to agree that the meat to potato ratio is off, but ordering the two as sides was just perfect! I hope they do not change the recipe. I should have ordered the hash well done, but I thoroughly enjoyed it the way it came and cannot wait to go back for more! Next time I will bring a cooler for leftovers to enjoy later.

Rattlesnake Guy ordered a sausage and cheese omelette, which he missed was actually a French Omelette. Craving's description - a light fluffy, souffle' style 3 egg wonder. It was crepe looking/tasting and didn't float his boat. Hopefully next time he will order the sausage gravy and biscuits again, because we will be going back!

Now to tempt you.
Attached Images

Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rattlesnake Gal For This Useful Post:
mcdude (09-28-2009)
Old 09-28-2009, 12:58 PM   #99
sa meredith

Default Clean

We went on Thursday, late morning. I had been once before and, although I was not crazy about the food, thought the place was fantastic (except for the half tables). Actually, the only food complaint, back then, was the way they cook their scrambled eggs. They sort of come out like a an "egg patty".
Anyway, I had the Bomber Breakfast...fantastic, except for the eggs turning into a patty again. Other than that, the food was very good.
My friend had their now famous corned beef hash, in it was insanely good.
For anyone that may not now...Kitchen Cravings is a great place to go, if you are looking for a place a little more upscale than your typical diner. Very quaint and tastefully decorated dining room.
But, here is the point of my deciding to post...
Kitchen Cravings absolutely wins the award for, hands down, no questions asked, the game is over, the best rest rooms of any lakes region restaurant. Not at all like any other public or restaurant rest rooms. Don't go here, and not use the rest rooms.
Decorated like you're in your grandmother's house. Smells and looks incredibly clean. I know this sounds funny. But really...all restaurant should put half as much care into their rest rooms.
Thought it worth mentioning.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:24 PM   #100
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Arrow Nice Restrooms

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith View Post
"Smells and looks incredibly clean. I know this sounds funny. But really...all restaurant should put half as much care into their rest rooms.
Thought it worth mentioning."
They are worth mentioning. My only trouble is the smell, which comes from air fresheners - I am so allergic!
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote