Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-21-2006, 10:58 AM   #1
gwood

Default Squam Lake

I have booked a week in Aug 2007 at Church Landing just like we did twice last summer. We will spend 90% of our time on Lake Winni but was thinking about taking a morning and exploring Squam Lake just for nastalgia purposes.

I purchased a lake map and it looks fairly conjested with rocks and islands with not much open space. Any suggestions/ideas regarding me cruising around for a morning or so to check it out?

Looks like I would launch in Holderness in the little river connecting Big Squam to Little Squam. That's a pretty small river, is that the best place to launch? From the pictures and maps, looks like it's only about 100ft wide at best and maybe 6 feet deep.

Thanks.
gwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 12:05 PM   #2
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwood
Looks like I would launch in Holderness in the little river connecting Big Squam to Little Squam. That's a pretty small river, is that the best place to launch? From the pictures and maps, looks like it's only about 100ft wide at best and maybe 6 feet deep.
I am by no means a squam lake expert. But I believe that is the only true public launch site on the lake. I am sure someone on this forum though will know for sure
Old 12-21-2006, 12:24 PM   #3
lifeonthefarm

I think you are right, the Squam Lakes Association has a launch, but I think its strictly sailboats... Squam is a beautiful lake if you are looking to get back to nature. No restaurants or entertainment (with the exception of Walter's Basin). The lake is VERY ROCKY so be alert, a lot of places similar to The Witches here, but not as well marked. The most activity will probably be in Rattlesnake Cove, a fun place to hang out with some good swimming. Its a beautiful lake, but I will take Winnipesaukee over it any day.
lifeonthefarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 01:30 PM   #4
Resident 2B

Default Squam Lake Cruises

Squam has more navigation hazards than anyone going for a one-day trip needs to deal with. Instead of doing this, there is a better way to get on the water and have a relaxing day on beautiful Squam Lake.

There are two business that provide boat rides to see the lake as well as the loons and other wildlife on the lake. Both are located in the Holdeness area, one right at Walter's.

I would do one in the morning, eat at Walter's, then do the other in the afternoon. This is much better than getting in trouble and meeting some of Squam's very hard rocks. Again, they are everywhere!

I have no connection to either tour provider or to Walter's. We did this several years ago when we were trying to decide where to buy in the lakes region and we really enjoyed the day.

Pick a good day and bring your camera!

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 04:12 PM   #5
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts
Default Squam

2 lane ramp in the river between Big & Little is public and as I recall, free. Motor boats no problem. Parking is free across the street for trailers and cars, but of course get there early. River is indeed about 6 feet deep, good for about any boat but you will not find any boats in Squam big enough to pull that kind of draft. Winni, yes.

2nd option might be the marina and ramp right where Little Squam drains into the Squam River heading to Ashland at the bridge down there. I don't remember if it's public or not but the main ramp in Holderness is fine if that is not an option. No other true public ramps that I know of anywhere on Squam.

If you can handle rocks + Winni, Squam shouldn't be a problem. But it is a bit trickier. Use your chart! MP is more prominent there than Winni due to size. Watch your step or they will appear from nowhere.

For a fun swim enter Rattlesnake Cove from the south/southwest channel, going in about 400 feet. On your left you'll see a nice flat faced rock about ten feet out of the water. Anchor in the pocket to the right of it, climb the rock and jump. Nice deep water in front of it.

For an easier swim, go to the Yard Islands, anchoring in the shallows around it facing north. Watch for the eagles around the "Yardies".

Walters in Holderness is nice for meals, free tie up in front when you're going there to eat.
Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2006, 09:27 AM   #6
gwood

Thanks for all the input. I think we will give it a try when we're up there for at least a morning or so. I'll keep it slow and look out for rocks. I know my kids (and probably me) would have fun jumping off that rock in Rattlesnake Cove.

I purchase a small map from Squam Lake Assoc that looks pretty good. Is this the only and/or best map available for that lake? It doesn't look like Bizer makes one.

Thanks.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:35 PM   #7
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts
Default Map

There is only one map I have ever seen for Big & Little Squam. It will say "A Chart of Squam Lake, New Hampshire" (The Museum of Science & the Squam Lakes Association" in the upper left. It's a great map-very accurate.

Green and light blue, about 2' x 2', waterproof.
Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 03:53 PM   #8
gwood

That's the map. Thanks Diver.