Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2006, 05:04 PM   #1
Rattler

Default Labor Rates at Local Marinas

I just had the mechanic at my local marina on Winnie do some electrical work on my boat. There were no parts involved -- just labor. Suffice it to say I was a little shocked to get a bill for $300 for four hours of work. If they can pull down $3,000 for a week's work, I'm clearly in the wrong business.

I've had general contractors and laborers do work for me around the lake, and $30/hr seems to be the going rate. Geez, my local auto mechanic works on my Jeep for $32/hr.

I know I'm kind of a "captive customer" at my marina, but does the convenience afforded to me warrant $75/hr?. Is this par for the course based upon other's experiences with their local marina mechanics -- or should I consider myself ripped off and shop around next time.
Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 06:08 PM   #2
fpartri497

Default Marina rates

Most marina`s on the lake charge between $76 - &125.00 per hr. shop rate. thats normal.

I had my marina install a VHF radio & a chartplotter (witch I paid for) and they charged me $650.00 labor. and I know for a fact, that It was a very difficult Installation Oh yes and antennas for both. A little steep yes Sir but a real proffessional Install.

I remain very satisfied.

Old 10-04-2006, 09:55 PM   #3
Pepper

Rattler, if your auto mechanic is charging $32. per hour I can't imagine how he's surviving! I sold my automotive repair business six years ago, and at that time our labor rate was over $60 per hour, and it was tough to manage even at that rate!

What a shop takes in from that labor rate has to cover wages, taxes, utilities, rent or mortgage, business insurance, worker's comp insurance, Elecronic diagnostic equipment with yearly updates, equipment and tools, nuts, bolts, fasteners, solvents, uniforms, mats, hazardous waste removal, fire safety systems, certification, education, building maintenance costs, Futa, Suta, Business Enterprise tax, Business earnings tax, and if there's anything left over perhaps an employee appreciation outing.

All things considered, I think you got a great deal from that marina.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:21 AM   #4
Rocky

I agree, I pay $62.00 hr. for my car. $75.00 hr for the boat.
Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 07:26 AM   #5
Gilligan

Arrow Worth the labor rates?

That $76 to $126 per shop hour is the range at most marinas around the lake. It's not how much per hour but how well the work is performed. All too often there is a lack of attention to detail. Work is rushed. Repairs or maintenance items are left incomplete or not done. Sometimes you just don't think you are getting what you paid for from the marina mechanics.

I would rather pay the higher rate and know that the work will be done properly and without causing other problems in the process.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:40 AM   #6
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattler
I just had the mechanic at my local marina...
Taking your boat to a marina is the same as taking your car to a dealership.

If you do not take your car to a dealership, why would you take your boat to a marina?

Sounds like you took yourself for a ride...
Old 10-05-2006, 03:41 PM   #7
pmj

Default B.o.a.t

"Break out another thousand"

$60-75 per hour is what the going rate is and has been for years, here or on the Seacoast. Boat owners are captive audiences for sure...like any specialties...weddings included
pmj
pmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 05:21 PM   #8
fpartri497

Default labor rate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligan
That $76 to $126 per shop hour is the range at most marinas around the lake. It's not how much per hour but how well the work is performed. All too often there is a lack of attention to detail. Work is rushed. Repairs or maintenance items are left incomplete or not done. Sometimes you just don't think you are getting what you paid for from the marina mechanics.

I would rather pay the higher rate and know that the work will be done properly and without causing other problems in the process.
I dissagree completely!! labor rate has nothing to do with quality work! you first have to do bussiness with a dealer whom you trust will do the job right the first time at a fair price.

fpartri497