Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2016, 01:31 PM   #1
jazzman

Default Boating Safety Card Photo?

Does anyone know if having a photo of your licence and boating safety card on your phone will suffice if you're stopped by Marine Patrol?

Since I live on the lake, I frequently don't bother to bring my wallet if I'm going out for a short cruise? It's just one more thing to misplace or drop in the water. I do always bring my phone in case I get stranded

I used to just leave my boating card on the boat, but now I have a jet ski too, so that no longer works.
jazzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 01:46 PM   #2
Phantom

Hey Jazzman !! been a while ! ..... take it your back on the Island now.

I would take a shot at it -- seems reasonable enough & I suspect that the MP would honor it--- the worst that could come of it is they follow you back to your dock for the real documents.

Old 06-08-2016, 01:53 PM   #3
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman View Post
Does anyone know if having a photo of your licence and boating safety card on your phone will suffice if you're stopped by Marine Patrol?

Since I live on the lake, I frequently don't bother to bring my wallet if I'm going out for a short cruise? It's just one more thing to misplace or drop in the water. I do always bring my phone in case I get stranded

I used to just leave my boating card on the boat, but now I have a jet ski too, so that no longer works.
A simple call to Marine Patrol would let you know instantly...603-293-2037
Old 06-08-2016, 06:09 PM   #4
Barney Bear

Default NH Safe Boating Certificate

I keep a photocopy of my certificate on board each boat as I frequently do not have my wallet with me. 🐻
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 06:23 PM   #5
Winnisquamer

I do the same since there isn't a photo on the certificate anyways. It's too much of a hassle to take my license everywhere with me, it stays on my boat year round, a photo on my phone is all I would have if I was stopped on your boat. If that's not good enough then I'll take the ticket please and thank you.
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winnisquamer For This Useful Post:
hd333 (06-20-2016)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2016, 08:24 PM   #6
Descant

Thanked 1,499 Times in 976 Posts

Let us know what MP says. Maybe photocopy and laminate several copies? I don't think you need a driver's license, but if you're copying, I'd do that too. When I'm travelling, I photocopy my passport and carry the copy, and leave the original at the hotel.
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 04:59 PM   #7
Marine Patrol

Default Order Extra Cards

Depending on the situation, Marine Patrol would honor a copy of a BE Certificate. A photo ID would also need to be seen in order to determine the persons identity.

The State now offers the opportunity for people to order extra cards if they choose. The cost is $10 per card and you can leave one in each boat and your wallet if you wish. Those who have completed the NH classroom or internet course may order an extra or replacement card by visiting www.ilostmycard.com.

Safe Boating!!

Tim Dunleavy
Marine Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Marine Patrol For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (07-15-2016), ApS (06-17-2016), BroadHopper (06-18-2016), HAMPTONS (07-11-2016), LIforrelaxin (06-20-2016), radiocontester (06-17-2016)
Old 06-17-2016, 06:40 PM   #8
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine Patrol View Post
Depending on the situation, Marine Patrol would honor a copy of a BE Certificate. A photo ID would also need to be seen in order to determine the persons identity.

The State now offers the opportunity for people to order extra cards if they choose. The cost is $10 per card and you can leave one in each boat and your wallet if you wish. Those who have completed the NH classroom or internet course may order an extra or replacement card by visiting www.ilostmycard.com.

Safe Boating!!

Tim Dunleavy
Regardless of whether I pay an additional $10 per card, MP will need to see a Photo ID to determine the persons identity. Why spend the extra $$?

I guess I will take my chances based on "the situation". The State/F&G gets enough money from me on an annual basis
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:23 PM   #9
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
Regardless of whether I pay an additional $10 per card, MP will need to see a Photo ID to determine the persons identity. Why spend the extra $$?

I guess I will take my chances based on "the situation". The State/F&G gets enough money from me on an annual basis
It is great that Captain Dunleavy is an active member of this forum and has always posted helpful answers to any questions that are asked.

I would use one sheet, copy both the photo ID as well and the NH Boating Certificate, and offer them when asked. I am sure that if you are polite and respectful when you are stopped it will go a long way towards a satisfactory interaction with the Marine Patrol.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (06-20-2016)
Old 06-19-2016, 11:23 PM   #10
Descant

Default Diligence

I'd guess the people who go to the extra effort never get stopped, as they also expend extra effort on knowing and practicing what to do in all situations. Folks who get stopped are probably not regular members here.
Nevertheless, I applaud Capt. Dunleavy for doing a complete and thorough job, as do the rest of the officers under his leadership.
Old 07-10-2016, 10:39 AM   #11
arch13

The state law is a little contradictory about this issue.

270-D:11 says you must "possess the certificate when operating a motorized vessel" and "present the certificate upon the demand of a marine patrol officer". So that seems pretty unambiguous that you must actually have the certificate itself.

...but later on it says that if you show "evidence that he or she held a valid safe boater education certificate" within 48 hours, you cannot be convicted of the a violation. I would think that a photocopy of the license would count as evidence in any reasonable situation.

So my reading of the law is that in effect a photocopy is probably fine.

By the way I can't find anywhere in the boating laws a requirement that you have to present any other ID. As far as I know you are not even required to have a driver's license to boat. So while a MP officer may *ask* you for it, I don't think you actually need it or need to present it.
arch13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 03:30 PM   #12
Descant

Default Welcome

Nice to have you join us on the Forum.

I think Captain Dunleavy was pretty clear. Go back and see post #7 in this thread. Maybe you read it differently than I did.

When you get your courtesy safety check from MP, and sticker, you can take the opportunity to ask any question you want from MP. The folks from Power Squadron and USCG Auxiliary who do courtesy inspections are also happy to answer questions, as we are here on the Forum.
Old 07-10-2016, 03:38 PM   #13
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Welcome to the Forum arch13. It is especially nice to see a thoughtful 1st post.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (07-15-2016)
Old 07-10-2016, 05:01 PM   #14
Kamper

FYI - Passport copies.

It's illegal to make color copies of your passport. It's silly but if you ever go to someplace like Staples, you will see this on a sign near their copy center.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 06:32 PM   #15
P-3 Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper View Post
FYI - Passport copies.

It's illegal to make color copies of your passport. It's silly but if you ever go to someplace like Staples, you will see this on a sign near their copy center.
No, it's not illegal to make copies, color or otherwise, of your passport.

Some family members recently renewed their passports. The new passports arrived in the mail with some helpful literature from the U.S. Department of State. Included in one brochure were some "Additional Tips for Travel," including this one:

"While overseas, carry photocopies of your passport biographical page and foreign visa with you at all times."
P-3 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:41 AM   #16
AC2717

Fish & game accept a photo of your fishing license on your phone I still have the paper copy in my wallet, but have used the photo on the phone and when asked if acceptable they said yes.

any word on the boating license, would make things so much easier than swapping out
Old 07-13-2016, 09:29 AM   #17
Orion

Default confirmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
Fish & game accept a photo of your fishing license on your phone I still have the paper copy in my wallet, but have used the photo on the phone and when asked if acceptable they said yes.
Confirmed with F&G rep that phone pic would be acceptable, but I just print a couple of paper copies to have in each boat and tackle box rather than pass a $600 phone across the water for him to look at.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:05 AM   #18
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
Confirmed with F&G rep that phone pic would be acceptable, but I just print a couple of paper copies to have in each boat and tackle box rather than pass a $600 phone across the water for him to look at.
This but I just go to a copy place and laminate them for a few dollars. You could do about 8 of them with one laminate sheet.
Old 07-14-2016, 06:30 AM   #19
Orion

Default cheaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
This but I just go to a copy place and laminate them for a few dollars. You could do about 8 of them with one laminate sheet.
I just put them in a ziplock sandwich bag
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:06 AM   #20
Lakegeezer

Default Photo ID?

Thanks to Marine Patrol for participating in the forum. I'm wondering about the statement that someone needs to show a photo ID to prove they are the certificate holder. I'm unaware of laws requiring a photo ID while boating in NH (like Florida and Missouri do). Does the MP boats have the technology to look up someone's picture if they are from NH and have a driver's license back home? If it matters, why not put a picture on the boater's certificate?
Old 07-14-2016, 07:41 AM   #21
Phantom

Good question to MP and I hope they chime in ...

As I understand it, some sort of picture ID (not necessarily drivers license) is used to verify that you are the name on the Boater Cert.

Totally AGREE -- the Boater Cert should have a picture as well, when filing the individual simply supplies a passport photo for processing the actual Cert card. Seems simple enough, although I can see where that will add $$ to the Dept to process.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:30 AM   #22
Winnisquamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Good question to MP and I hope they chime in ...

As I understand it, some sort of picture ID (not necessarily drivers license) is used to verify that you are the name on the Boater Cert.

Totally AGREE -- the Boater Cert should have a picture as well, when filing the individual simply supplies a passport photo for processing the actual Cert card. Seems simple enough, although I can see where that will add $$ to the Dept to process.

If it required a picture wouldn't you have to stand in line at the registry for an hour every five years like the drivers license? If so I want no part in that.
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winnisquamer For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (07-14-2016)
Old 07-14-2016, 02:37 PM   #23
noreast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamer View Post
If it required a picture wouldn't you have to stand in line at the registry for an hour every five years like the drivers license? If so I want no part in that.
Right, but then it should not be asked for if it's not important enough to put on there in the 1st place. I understand why they would want photo ID but can't blame you for not having it.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 03:18 PM   #24
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreast View Post
Right, but then it should not be asked for if it's not important enough to put on there in the 1st place. I understand why they would want photo ID but can't blame you for not having it.
Some ppl would love do disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine Patrol View Post

Safe Boating!!

Tim Dunleavy
Shame on ME for letting ppl know!
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 04:45 PM   #25
Descant

Default Id

Asking for ID is nothing new.
Note that even with a picture on the SBC, you could also use a USCG cert. Power Squadron cert. or other state cert. No pictures on those.

This isn't an issue worth quibbling over. Someday, we'll probably just endorse the driver's license like we do for motorcycles. There was a reason in 1999 when SBC started, but I don't remember it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
noreast (07-15-2016)