Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2014, 09:13 AM   #1
Lakegeezer

Default Moultonborough Speed Test - Final Push

As regular readers of the forum probably know, the town of Moultonborough has been conducting an internet speed test all summer. The goal is to understand where the infrastructure holes and poor capacity areas are, before decisions about improvement investments are made.

Over 400 have taken the test, representing about 10% of the properties. The campaign is coming to an end after Labor Day weekend and we’re asking one last time for participants. I’ve attached a map that shows the locations where tests have been run. There has been pretty good participation throughout the town, but there are some holes to fill. It only takes a few minutes.

Click this link to take, or retake the test. Flash support is required. Repeat tests are averaged and max speed is also noted.

If you or someone you know cannot get fixed wired Internet (Cable or DSL), please send the address and contact info to iwantbroadband@roadrunner.com Finding the unserved is a top priority.

Here are the locations missing from our set of data, where we’d most like someone to take the test in the next few days.

1. Bean road and offshoots, towards the Sandwich line, especially accessed via Old Harvard Rd.
2. Route 109, especially Cloudview Drive, Abenaki Lane, the Bald Peak Colony Club, Severance and Caverly Road.
3. In the area southeast of downtown and Route 25, like Randell, Ben Berry and Bodge Hill Roads.
4. Those along Holland St, north from the Town Hall to the Sandwich line.
5. Areas around the airport, such as Evans Road and Summit View Dr.
6. We could use more points near Lake Kanasatka, especially Brick Kiln, Red Hill Rd, Sibley and Bishop Shores Rd.
7. Down Moultonborough Neck, we need data from the areas near Gruenwald, Iroquois and Swallow Point Roads and Dow Island.
Attached Images

Old 08-28-2014, 09:22 AM   #2
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts
Default Holland Street

Last Result:
Download Speed: 1664 kbps (208 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1027 kbps (128.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 50 ms
8/28/2014 10:21:32 AM
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:57 PM   #3
Gatto Nero

I think there are issues with the download piece of that test. It is showing less than 1Mbps where every other test I take (Speedtest.net, bandwidthplace.com and Time Warner) shows me between 27Mbps and 32 Mbps. I ran each multiple times and the result are consistent. The upload test is right in line with the others.

Last Result:
Download Speed: 921 kbps (115.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 5267 kbps (658.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 39 ms
8/28/2014, 1:51:20 PM
Old 08-28-2014, 01:36 PM   #4
Lakegeezer

Default data quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatto Nero View Post
I think there are issues with the download piece of that test. It is showing less than 1Mbps where every other test I take (Speedtest.net, bandwidthplace.com and Time Warner) shows me between 27Mbps and 32 Mbps. I ran each multiple times and the result are consistent. The upload test is right in line with the others.

Last Result:
Download Speed: 921 kbps (115.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 5267 kbps (658.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 39 ms
8/28/2014, 1:51:20 PM
Indeed, we have been battling the quality of this test all summer, and I've seen the same speed discrepancy as you just did. The town is working with the New Hampshire Broadband Mapping and Planning Program, because it provides the town with a report of speeds linked to provider and physical addresses. If you want to know your real speed, this isn't the test to run, but the town appreciates everyone that helped (or will help) build the speed map. We recognize the limitations in the data.

When we are done collecting data (next week), we'll use the relative difference in speeds across town, rather than the absolute speed. Several things are already clear. There were more than 3 times the number of testers on TWC over Fairpoint and the cable speeds are faster. Over half the TWC testers got over 5 Mbps while the median for Fairpoint was 2.5 Mbps. That insight alone has been useful, along with seeing which neighborhoods are "on line" with which provider.

The network engineer in me wants to drive down to UNH to diagnose and fix their speed test application, but that would be changing testing horses when we have almost crossed the stream.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:32 PM   #5
wifi

Well, Time Warner had major backbone problems this week. Complete nationwide outage for several hours, since then I'm seeing mini interruptions every few hours.

I think the NSA backbone tap install wasn't fully debugged... but ssssshhhhh
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links