Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2014, 01:33 PM   #1
Happy Gourmand

Default Fuller Oil and Propane

Have any forum members been affected by the current "issues" that folks are having with Fuller Oil?
Stories like this make me thankful that natural gas is available in Nashua.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Happy Gourmand For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2014, 01:40 PM   #2
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Strange to have "phone issues" for so long. But given Fairpoints past history....anything is possible I guess. I got a chuckle from his comment..."People get so beligerent" Ummm, yeah, when it is 5 degrees out and no heat ya sure do get a bit upset that the oil man hasn't come. What does phone issues have to do with pre-buy scheduled deliveries?
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lakesrider For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2014, 02:16 PM   #3
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Fuller Oil

I have a 90 year old aunt and my gf mother is 80 years old. Both live alone and very low in fuel. When I went to the office off Lexington Drive yesterday to see about service, two tanker trucks pulled in and began to unload. The receptionist said there is the delivery that was suppose to be here last month and the delivery trucks are out 12 hours a day. Once I explain to the receptionist the age and they live alone, she said the ladies should receive their fuel within 24 hours. Both had they fuels delivered that night.

I was told other oil companies are having the same problem but Fuller receive the bad rap because of the size of their market. Stafford, Irving, Dutile, Red River have a tight supply and will not bring on new customers nor will they provide emergency assistance.

You would think there will be a reciprocal agreement to help each other out?
Old 01-08-2014, 02:18 PM   #4
Pineedles

Seems as if it is a perfect storm situation, but not financial trouble.

http://www.concordmonitor.com/news/w...stomers-set-up
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pineedles For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (01-08-2014)
Old 01-08-2014, 02:25 PM   #5
BroadHopper

Default Interesting

Rymes and Prescott are taking in new customers, the others are not.

There is no shortage of oil, yet two tanker trucks were long overdue?

It sounds like Fuller did not plan very well. And yes I know of a number of oil delivery guys that lost their jobs because of the certification. I can't understand why they did not get training. Fault of the employer?
Old 01-08-2014, 03:24 PM   #6
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
I was told other oil companies are having the same problem but Fuller receive the bad rap because of the size of their market. Stafford, Irving, Dutile, Red River have a tight supply and will not bring on new customers nor will they provide emergency assistance.
Not sure about other companies having problems. We are a Fuller pre-buy customer at our house in Amherst. Was down to ~1/8 of a tank (actually, pair of tanks). Couldn't get through to Fuller, called another company down the street and had 150 gallons delivered within 2 hours, no problem.

I did finally get through to Fuller the next day (yesterday), they said they'll have a driver out before the end of the week to fill up my tanks. Waiting to see how that goes.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:57 PM   #7
Formula260SS

Default fuller oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
Not sure about other companies having problems. DeliveryWe are a Fuller pre-buy customer at our house in Amherst. Was down to ~1/8 of a tank (actually, pair of tanks). Couldn't get through to Fuller, called another company down the street and had 150 gallons delivered within 2 hours, no problem.

I did finally get through to Fuller the next day (yesterday), they said they'll have a driver out before the end of the week to fill up my tanks. Waiting to see how that goes.
We were down to an 1/8 of a tank. We called them at 7:30 pm Monday and had a delivery by 8:00am Tuesday. I think they just got caught behind a bit. I've had two instances where my furnace stoped on weekend nights and they were there within an hour. I'll cut them some slack.
Formula260SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:58 PM   #8
4Fun

Default we had issues

We have been with Fullers for 14 years and never had an issue. We are on auto delivery. I was willing to pay a little extra to not think about it. I was surprised when we ran out in November. They did come right away with 10 gallons to get us back up though.

When the tank got below 1/4 in Dec we called to be sure they were coming and they said they would not be out for 6 days they were backed up. We had no choice but to add diesel by 5 gallon cans several times while we made other arrangements with Haffners for fuel.

They definitly started stretching out there deliveries starting in Nov. I think they ran the safety margin to thin and got caught.

Since we were on a budget plan we need to get out budget money back from Fullers now. If I now have to pay attention to the level I might as well buy what's cheapest going forward.
4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:52 PM   #9
jeffk

Default Ran out, no auto delivery

We ran out yesterday. We are on auto delivery. We pulled out the old bill and they last delivered November 11th. That's 8 weeks, far too long in this frigid weather. Usually they deliver every 4 - 6 weeks in the peak of winter. We called, several times, no answer.

We finally dropped into the Moultonborough office. We were scheduled for a tech visit with 10 gallons to be followed up "soon" by a full delivery. The tech showed up a couple hours later and the delivery showed up late last night. So all was resolved reasonably quickly once we got in touch.

While some of this problem is weather related, the office says fuel use is up 30%, the rest seems to be poor planning and poor scheduling. Auto delivery planning is supposed to include temperature in its calculation. Fuel delivery for us should have come weeks ago. Having no phone service for over a week is absurd. The state set up a hotline almost overnight. Fuller certainly could have done the same. They could have told people they were having trouble keeping up and to call the hotline if they had less than 1/4 tank. Instead, they just hunkered down and tried to bluff their way out. It is poor management of a problem/crisis situation. Too bad.

FYI, you can buy diesel at the gas station and put it in your tank. It's the same stuff. But you will pay road gas taxes on it. Annoying but it will keep you warm.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:09 PM   #10
jmen24

Most stations have no-tax diesel available for off-highway use. There are some that do not though, it may be worth looking into if you want to keep the tax.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:12 PM   #11
wifi

Interesting on phone problems, I get an average of one call per day for them, one of my phone numbers is one digit off. People need to be careful dialing, fortunately, I have their number memorized and cheerfully advise the caller of the correct number, LOL
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:37 AM   #12
fatlazyless

Believe that the road taxed diesel is tinted blue, and the non-taxed diesel is tinted red for state revenue identification.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:02 AM   #13
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts
Default Propane Shortage

I had been shopping around for competitve propane prices and Fuller had given me the lowest price. I have a few locations to service we are currently with Irving and Eastern. After talking to Eastern they explained that there is a propane shortage especially in Maine. They also explained they have plenty of supply and in fact smaller local companies like Fuller are going to have this issue all season and in fact are trying to buy product from Eastern, but they are unwilling to put their own customers at risk.

After a little back and forth they actually matched the price Fuller had given and guarenteed supply throughout the season.

Thank Eastern!!!
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
michelemybell (03-04-2014), minni on winni (02-02-2014)
Old 01-09-2014, 08:07 AM   #14
Winnisquamguy

Default NH oil firms step in to help Fred Fuller customers

Quote:

You would think there will be a reciprocal agreement to help each other out?
Quote:
New Hampshire home heating oil dealers are not running into supply problems and are helping frustrated Fred Fuller Oil & Propane Co. customers fill their tanks, according to the head of a statewide industry organization.

“There is not a supply shortage,” said Robert Sculley, executive director of the Oil Heat Council of New Hampshire. “This is not an industry-wide problem in New Hampshire and New England. This is a company-specific problem.”
The head of the state’s Consumer Protection Bureau on Wednesday agreed that supply appears to be abundant in New Hampshire and no other dealers are having issues meeting demand.

“This does seem to be confined to a delivery problem with Fred Fuller Oil,” Senior Assistant Attorney General James T. Boffetti explained.

Fred Fuller Oil, one of the state’s largest heating fuel delivery companies with main offices in Hudson, got backlogged on deliveries last week at a time when the region plunged into arctic cold snap, Boffetti said. Fuller promised to be caught up with all deliveries by week’s end, Boffetti said.

Sprague Oil of Newington and company owner Fred Fuller told state officials Wednesday that the oil company has been buying “significant” daily amounts of home heating oil, totally about 500,000 gallons since Monday, Boffetti said. Fuller’s trucks also have been delivering oil late into the night to get through the backlog of customers, Boffetti said.

“I do not have any indication that he is in serious financial trouble,” Boffetti added.

“I haven’t audited his books. I don’t know if he has a cash flow problem or not...He has yet to provide me with proof of his pre-buy liabilities and his futures contracts,” Boffetti said.

But Boffetti noted that the vast majority of Fred Fuller customers who have gone without oil are those who either pay as they go or are on a budget plan. Just a small fraction of those affectd have pre-buy contracts, he said.

A company-wide failure in Fuller’s telephone system should be fixed by today, Boffetti said. The breakdown in the telephone system have made is impossible for customers to place orders for oil since last week. This prompted Gov. Maggie Hassan to set up a hotline at 6 p.m. Tuesday specifically for Fred Fuller customers in imminent danger of running out of oil.

Nearly 650 consumers flooded the hotline with calls by 2 p.m. Wednesday, the governor’s spokesman said. The vast majority had less than 1/8 of a tank of oil left — the rest had less than a quarter of a tank of oil or run out of oil completely, spokesman Marc Goldberg wrote in a statement. The hotline number is 227-0002.

State officials staffing the hotline first make sure consumers are safe then work with Fred Fuller to get drivers and technicians out to customers, Goldberg said.

“The health and safety of individuals who are running dangerously low on heating oil due to delivery issues with Fred Fuller Oil Co. remains Gov. Hassan’s primary concern,” Goldberg wrote. He said the hotline will remain open until “we are confident that response times are sufficient to ensure the health and safety of customers.”

Goldberg said the situation “highlights the need for strengthened consumer protections for heating oil customers, especially those on pre-buy (contracts).”

Meanwhile, other dealers are pitching in to help those needing oil, Sculley said.

Mary Olsen, officer manager at Shattuck Oil Co., said the Pepperell, Mass., company has added 40 to 50 Fred Fuller customers from New Hampshire since last Thursday, including filling an elderly Nashua woman’s tank Tuesday.

“We just delivered to an 80-year-old woman who hasn’t had heat for two days,” Olsen said. “She was a Fuller customer. She had no oil.”

Sculley said there are about 200 oil dealers in New Hampshire and Fred Fuller serves tens of thousands of Granite State customers. “If he’s not the biggest, he’s one of the biggest,” Sculley said.

Matthew Ciardelli, co-owner of Ciardelli Fuel Company in Milford, said his staff has been fielding several hundred calls a day from Fred Fuller Oil customers since Friday.

“We’ve helped out several hundred customers who aren’t our regular customers,” Ciardelli said, adding that his staff has worked up to 14-hour days to meet the additional demand.

On Friday night when temperatures plunged well below freezing, Ciardelli said neighbors of a 98-year-old Amherst woman dropped in his office worried the woman would run out of oil because they were unable to contact Fred Fuller Oil, her regular company.

“She was 98. She could barely use the phone. Her neighbors stopped by our office,” he said. Ciardelli said he took a truck home and delivered oil to the woman as well as his neighbor, another Fuller customer who was on empty.

Ciardelli said his company was able to offer a helping hand because — anticipating the cold streak coming into the region — they got caught up on deliveries to all their customers by last week.

About 58 percent of New Hampshire homes use oil for heating, according to Meredith Hatfield, director of the New Hampshire Office of Energy and Planning.

She said the state’s hotline set up to handle the Fred Fuller situation “is both triaging people in an emergency situation” and talking to people who want to file complaints with the state’s Consumer Protection Bureau.
http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...WS02/140109338
minni on winni (02-02-2014)
Old 01-09-2014, 10:52 PM   #15
bigdog

Default Fred Fuller

Not sure if this was a coincidence or not relating to Fred Fuller Oil issue of shortage, but I was passed tonight on I-93N around Manchester, by not 1 but 2 Fred Fuller tanker trucks heading north tonight on I-93N. Not the little delivery trucks, but those massive tanker trucks !

Bringing the oil to the lake !

FYI, I've been using Fred Fuller for 2 years now, and very happy with their service and pricing.

Bigdog
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:04 PM   #16
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
Not sure if this was a coincidence or not relating to Fred Fuller Oil issue of shortage, but I was passed tonight on I-93N around Manchester, by not 1 but 2 Fred Fuller tanker trucks heading north tonight on I-93N. Not the little delivery trucks, but those massive tanker trucks !

Bringing the oil to the lake !

FYI, I've been using Fred Fuller for 2 years now, and very happy with their service and pricing.

Bigdog

I was amazed when I spoke to my local oil supplier here about the amount of oil they use in a week and they are much smaller than Fuller. Those tankers were probably a very small portion of the weekly oil delivered by Fuller, like I said, I was amazed.

Last edited by ITD; 01-10-2014 at 10:09 AM.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:59 AM   #17
BroadHopper

Default Dead River

I have tenant in Plymouth who ran out of oil last night around dinner time. Dead River promised a delivery a couple of weeks ago and they never came. Calls to the office results in 'We will be there soon.'

Off to Irving for diesel fuel last night. Those containers are heavy!
Old 01-10-2014, 09:32 AM   #18
HellRaZoR004

Am I correct to assume Dead River is not part of Fred Fuller? I wonder if it is supply related to some extent.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:04 AM   #19
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

I switched from Irving because they wouldn't deliver my oil a few years ago. I called them and told me I was almost empty and they insisted I wasn't. They said I couldn't be and if they made a special delivery and it was under so many gallons they would charge delivery or something like that. We were on automatic delivery. They let me run out more than once so I learned to watch the tank. After the last time when I was begging for a delivery and after quite a few calls, I had had enough. When they had a local office in Ossipee they were fine, but when that all moved to Canada forget it. We do have a big house and do burn a lot of oil and they just couldn't believe we burned what we did. This year we had 4 deliveries in Dec. ($1500). Only one of the reasons I hate the cold.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:51 PM   #20
bigdog

I bought an 'OEM Rocket' and installed on my oil tank several years ago.
http://www.sybasystems.com/OEM%20Rocket/oem_rocket.html
Inexpensive, accurate, and simple to install.

My 275 gallon oil tank is housed outside of the main house in an attached shed. I can check the oil level without leaving the comfort and warmth of my home, and the electronic technology is definitely more accurate that those mechanical oil gauges used on most tanks.

You can always measure the amount of oil in your tank with tape-measure and use this guide. Tape-measure must touch bottom of tank.
http://www.sippin.com/oil%20tank%20measure%20chart.htm

Also a handy link to check oil prices in central NH, but you can select for your area as well:
http://www.newenglandoil.com/newhampshire/zone3.asp?x=0
Interesting Fred Fuller isn't listed here?

Hope this helps everyone.....
Old 01-10-2014, 01:14 PM   #21
brk-lnt

Just as an update, Fuller came to my house this AM and topped off our tanks with just under 400 gallons.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:46 PM   #22
BroadHopper

Default Customer on Red Hill

A good friend of mine is still waiting for her delivery. She was the one that called several places listed above and they will not deliver. Her husband I believe is in has 70's has quite the workout lately hauling diesel by hand.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:07 PM   #23
jgrif6180

Smile Fuller Oil Delivery

Arrived at our home in Meredith late Friday, Jan. 10th, only to discover that our oil tank was low (1/8th). Called Fuller Oil & they delivered by Saturday at noon even with all of the icy roads. Excellent service.
jgrif6180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:57 PM   #24
AB_Monterey

Default No oil....

but how about a little sexual harrassment to keep you warm?
AB_Monterey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:55 AM   #25
Den65

Default Claim I canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrif6180 View Post
Arrived at our home in Meredith late Friday, Jan. 10th, only to discover that our oil tank was low (1/8th). Called Fuller Oil & they delivered by Saturday at noon even with all of the icy roads. Excellent service.
I called them Friday and asked when they could delivery to Center Harbor and was told Monday. waited all day and no oil, called them at 5pm and after some checking they said I called on Saturday and canceled (which I didn't) and it would be 2 days before they could get out here. We'll see ?
Den65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:16 PM   #26
Sculpin

http://blog.ebosswatch.com/2013/12/a...t-bosses-2013/

And this ink

http://www.wmur.com/news/money/fred-...6/-/index.html
Sculpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:14 PM   #27
manchester bill

Unhappy Hmmm

Hi im on the budget plan and running on empty. haven't had a delivery since early Nov. gotta call F. Fuller again.
manchester bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:31 AM   #28
Lacpicguy

Default Dutiles

I was told at Dutiles last week that they had picked up over 100 new customers. They too are running 12 hour days. They are great people to deal with and I wouldn't want to have anybody else.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:17 AM   #29
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts
Default Fred Fuller agrees to pay state for emergency hotline costs

Looks like a good move on their part. From WMUR:

Quote:
Concord, N.H. —Fred Fuller Oil Company has agreed to reimburse the State of New Hampshire for running an emergency hotline for customers who had trouble getting their oil deliveries earlier this month. Is has also set up a fund to help customers who were impacted.
During the last cold snap, the company was having problems keeping its delivery schedule, and hundreds of customers feared that they would run out of oil. The state activated its emergency hotline to help coordinate efforts.

In a letter addressed to Perry E. Plummer, the state's Director of Homeland Security and Emergency Management, Fuller said the company will repay the requested money.

According to a letter to Fred Fuller Oil from the state, the total billable price tag is nearly $21,000.

The letter from Fuller also states that the company has created a fund in the same amount. That money will help those who were inconvenienced by the situation. Those details are still being worked out.

There was no legal obligation to cover the costs of the hotline.

"Although there is no requirement for us to reimburse the State of New Hampshire for the assistance provided we think it is the responsible thing for us to do on behalf of the goodwill provided by you and the State of New Hampshire."

News 9 contacted the company on Saturday afternoon, but no one was available to comment.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
minni on winni (02-02-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 09:48 PM   #30
wickedtravelah

I just switched my automatic delivery from Fullers to a different company (no names mentioned). Reason being, I am tired of seeing Fullers name in the news so frequently.
wickedtravelah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:32 AM   #31
Lakemamma

Default Oil

Has anybody called Fuller lately?

The reason I ask I just called them Friday for my normal delivery which should be Tuesday and I got told it will be at least 10 days.... I asked to speak with a manager got told maybe it will be there Friday but that's all I can say and hung up on me. This sure is not good customer service lately.

Thanks
Lakemamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:48 AM   #32
tis

It doesn't sound good for Fuller's, does it? I would hate to have to beg for my oil. I did that with Irving once and it is not fun. They insisted I could not almost be out of oil but I was. I don't deal with Irving any more.
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Lakemamma (03-01-2014)
Old 03-01-2014, 09:03 AM   #33
Lakemamma

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
It doesn't sound good for Fuller's, does it? I would hate to have to beg for my oil. I did that with Irving once and it is not fun. They insisted I could not almost be out of oil but I was. I don't deal with Irving any more.
It sure doesn't Tis.... I am with you I will not beg for anything! I am sure there would be somebody else out there that would like to take over our three accounts of propane and oil.

Last edited by Lakemamma; 03-01-2014 at 02:59 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lakemamma For This Useful Post:
tis (03-01-2014)
Old 03-01-2014, 12:24 PM   #34
jeffk

Default Recent filling

About two weeks ago we noticed that the tank was down to 1/4. Given that they had significantly delayed the normal automatic delivery and let us run out during all the hoopla, we were concerned and decided to be proactive. We called either Thursday or Friday and were told that a ticket had already been pulled for delivery early the following week. They filled the tank the following Monday.

So we got through to them OK, got a good response, and a timely delivery.

We are still considering whether to continue with them next year. We will probably shop around a bit. However, we have used Fuller for over 15 years without trouble. Any business can have a bad time now and then. It would help to know what the heck was really going on to know if it was a one time aberration or a change in the way they do business that would lead to further problems. They haven't been very forthright about it and that doesn't boost confidence in them.

Thus, we will shop around.
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffk For This Useful Post:
Lakemamma (03-01-2014)
Old 03-01-2014, 06:22 PM   #35
bigdog

For those who may want to shop around, here's a great link:
http://www.newenglandoil.com/newhampshire/zone3.asp?x=0

You can change the NH geograhphical area by changing drop-down option, near the top center of the page.

Good luck !

Bigdog
The Following User Says Thank You to bigdog For This Useful Post:
Lakemamma (03-01-2014)
Old 03-01-2014, 06:28 PM   #36
secondcurve

1) Tax liens;

2) Inability to deliver oil during peak heating season;

3) Pending sexual harassment lawsuit;

4) Previously settled a sexual harassment lawsuit brought by 5-women for $780,000.

There is certainly at lot going on at this company.

Friday, August 3, 2012

Owner of Fred Fuller Oil owes IRS $2.5 million in back taxes

By JOSEPH G. COTE

Staff Writer

HUDSON – The owner of a Hudson-headquartered oil company owes the Internal Revenue Service more than $2.5 million in back taxes.

The IRS recently filed liens against all property owned by Frederick J. Fuller, the owner of Fred Fuller Oil Inc., based on Tracy Lane in Hudson.

Fuller owes the government almost $2.6 million in taxes, along with penalties and interest, from 2006-08, according to documents filed at the Hillsborough County Registry of Deeds.

Fuller owes more than $1.7 million for 2006, $234,762 in 2007 and $569,671 in 2008. The liens were filed by IRS revenue officer Anita Perry on July 6, according to the registry records.

Another lien filed in 2010 shows Fuller owed $150,724 in taxes, penalties and interest for the 2004 tax year, according to records.

On Thursday, Fuller said the liens are a “personal tax situation, are not connected to the company in any way and will not affect customers.

“If the IRS thought there was a problem with Fred Fuller Oil Company, they would have attached that too,” he said. “All our customers are safe.”

The type of tax listed on all four liens are 1040, which is an individual tax return.

Fuller, who didn’t detail the specifics of his tax situation, said he expects two of the three liens to be “taken care of” on Monday when he meets with IRS officials. Further meetings and talks will be held on the rest of the back payments, he said.

“We’re in discussions with them,” he said.

Fuller said he suspects a competitor tipped off reporters about the back taxes.

He stressed that customers have nothing to worry about, including customers who have pre-buy contracts with the company or customers in the company’s budget program.

“We always treat everybody fair,” he said. “We didn’t get to be the largest independent retail company in the state without taking care of our customers.”

James Boffetti, a senior assistant attorney general who heads the Consumer Protection Bureau, said there’s every possibility that’s the case but is still talking with Fuller and his attorney about the specifics of the liens to make sure pre-buy contracts are safe.

“We definitely need to ask questions, and they’ve been more than willing to help answer our questions, and that’s a good sign,” Boffetti said.

Boffetti said his office has received a number of calls from customers asking whether their pre-buy contracts were protected. He said weak state laws around oil pre-buy contracts – and the fact that customers have lost hundreds of thousands of dollars when companies they had contracts with went bankrupt or ran into other financial difficulties – makes people more likely to be concerned.

Boffetti said a bill that was defeated by the House this year would have required oil companies to put pre-buy money in escrow accounts instead of commingling it with other funds.

This isn’t the first time Fuller has made headlines this year for something other than his oil company.

In May, he pleaded not guilty to sexually assaulting a female employee. The charges, which are still pending, accuse him with forcibly fondling a woman at the company’s headquarters in Hudson last summer.

Fred Fuller Oil & Propane is based in Hudson and has offices in Milford, Bridgewater, Derry, Goffstown, Laconia, Moultonborough and Northfield, according to the company’s website.

Joseph G. Cote can be reached at 594-6415 or jcote@nashua telegraph.com. Also follow Cote on Twitter (@Telegraph_JoeC).
More From The Telegraph
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:37 PM   #37
SIKSUKR

Default WMUR website

HUDSON, N.H. —Customers of Fred Fuller Oil are again expressing frustration with the oil company, with some saying they can't get through on the phone to place an order and others being told there's a 10-day wait list to get oil.
Related

News 9 attempted to talk to Fred Fuller directly about the issues, but he wasn't available at his Manchester home or at the company's Hudson headquarters.

The recent phone issues at the state's largest oil provider, coupled with delivery backlogs, have sparked outrage and fear among customers who are flooding state offices and WMUR with calls and emails.

"We're almost out of oil," said customer Paul Magum, who said he plans to switch oil companies. "We called, and they said it will be 10 days, and I said, 'We're below a quarter of a tank. We're almost out.' They said, 'Well…'"

Company officials said the phone system has caused problems, and the company bought new phones to address the issue. Business manager Oren Havey said crews have been working to meet the demand, which has been exacerbated by extreme cold.

"This Saturday, they worked until about 6:30," he said. "This Sunday, we had guys out putting oil in for people who'd run out. We run six, sometimes seven days a week. But right now, I'll be honest with you, my guys are getting burned out."

Sprague Energy Corp., which supplies oil to Fred Fuller Oil, said it has been able to meet all of its customer demands this season. It said demand is high, but there is no shortage.

“I’m hoping we have enough to get through tonight,” said Bob Stewart of Manchester.

Stewart is 79 years old and the last thing he wants to do is be up all night worrying about whether the heat’s going to stay on, he said. Fred Fuller failed to make a promised delivery to his home Monday, he said.

“It’s right almost on E,” Stewart said.

Stewart, who pays a monthly rate and already sent his check in for March, said he has dropped his thermostat and is wearing a sweater.

He’s one of many customers stuck in yet another holding pattern, unable to reach the company by phone and waiting for deliveries.

“What’s the matter with this guy?” Stewart asked. “We’ve been dealing with him for years. He’s done a great job. All of the sudden, he’s the largest one in the state and he fails to deliver? I don’t understand it.”

Millard Williams, 71, of Derry said he has been trying to get through to Fred Fuller since last week.

"I just want to know what's going on, that's it," Williams said.

A Marine Corps veteran of the Vietnam War, Williams fell last year and suffered nerve damage in his leg.

“Right now, I’m more or less house-bound. I’m in a wheelchair. I can’t go outside and I can’t go up and down stairs,” he said.

He also can’t check his furnace, which was just under a quarter-tank full. He said he’s hoping the company can resolve its problems and get back to him soon.

“Well, you worry. You just want an answer,” Williams said.

Williams and Stewart said they are both willing to give the company the benefit of the doubt.

“Let’s see what he does,” Stewart said. “We’ve been good customers for him, so we’ll see how he handles it.”

Stewart said he ran out of oil around 9:30 p.m. Monday.

With money already paid to Fuller for the month, he doesn’t want to spend money elsewhere because he and his wife are on a budget, he said.

An official said the company is still dealing with phone problems and a delivery backlog.

Read more: http://www.wmur.com/money/frustratio...#ixzz2v1ZkyOiH
Old 03-04-2014, 03:20 PM   #38
Happy Gourmand

Why would they deliver just 10 gallons, unless they were on some sort of allocation from Sprague because of payment/cash flow issues? And what do phone issues have to do with folks on automatic delivery?
There is a lot more to this story. I feel concern for all the folks who prepaid and must now beg for oil to keep their families warm.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:42 PM   #39
tis

It's awful to worry about whether you are going to get your oil delivery or not. I feel for you.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:03 PM   #40
This'nThat

Why is everyone so worried? I'm sure you'll get your delivery...

this summer....

when it's warm....

and they're down to their last customer -- you .....

and you agree to pay that extra delivery charge!
This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:49 PM   #41
jeffk

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
Why would they deliver just 10 gallons, unless they were on some sort of allocation from Sprague because of payment/cash flow issues? And what do phone issues have to do with folks on automatic delivery?
There is a lot more to this story. I feel concern for all the folks who prepaid and must now beg for oil to keep their families warm.
When you run out of fuel they send a "tech" down with 10 gallons and restart your furnace. The 10 gallons is enough for a day or two, during which time they are supposed to get a full delivery to you. So delivering just 10 gallons, in itself, doesn't mean too much about availability of fuel.

However, I agree about the phones having nothing to do with the auto delivery customers. Fuel. oil or propane, companies have computer programs that calculate fuel usage and the temperature is taken into account. They should be able to calculate and adjust delivery for MOST people. If a few people ran out, I would say that it was just an oops due to the extreme cold. But the scope of problem they are having is incomprehensible. Common sense should have told them they were not delivering oil in a timely manner.

When we ran out in January it had been 8 weeks since a delivery. Normal winter deliveries are no more than 6 weeks apart and in this cold should have been even sooner, not longer. So WHAT'S UP WITH THAT??? That is the question that Fuller has yet to answer and if he doesn't and continues to have these very public and troublesome problems, he is going to lose a lot of customers come next heating cycle.

My totally speculative guess is that Fuller planned on buying oil later in a season at a certain price and the price has skyrocketed past that point and every gallon he has to buy is losing him money on prebuy and capped customers. So he delays his buys as long as he can, hoping for prices to drop, but the cold lingers on and prices are staying high. I'm guessing but if supply is OK, per Sprague, and Fuller is not in financial trouble, WHAT else could it be? A grossly under planned delivery fleet?
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffk For This Useful Post:
Rusty (03-05-2014)
Old 03-05-2014, 09:40 AM   #42
ishoot308

Thanked 4,923 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Get With It Fred!

We just started using Fullers about 1 1/2 years ago and have nothing but good to say about their service thus far. Unfortunately it sounds like I am in the minority and the wagons have started circling...

While Fred himself may be of questionable character, one thing we all need to think about is that he also employs a lot of GOOD local people in the state who I am sure don't want to worry about losing their job...

It's been a long cold winter and I sure hope this mess with Fred Fuller gets resolved quickly and amicably and doesn't domino effect him out of business for the sake of the good people he employs and services...

Dan
Lakemamma (03-05-2014)
Old 03-05-2014, 09:41 AM   #43
Sue Doe-Nym

All the negative information stated above has been public knowledge for many years.

It is therefore very difficult to understand why so many people have continued to use Fred Fuller.
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:26 AM   #44
jeffk

Default Probably no jobs "lost"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
While Fred himself may be of questionable character, one thing we all need to think about is that he also employs a lot of GOOD local people in the state who I am sure don't want to worry about losing their job...
Dan
Oil (and propane) delivery is a relatively local business. People from New York are not coming to New Hampshire to deliver heating oil or do service. People will continue to need heating oil and service whether Fuller delivers it or some other company does. There are lots of other local companies that can take up the slack. Local drivers and techs will simply follow the business from Fuller to whoever it migrates to. If Stafford picks up 500 of Fuller's customers they will probably hire a new delivery driver. The business will not disappear because Fuller doesn't supply it.

Other NH companies seem to be meeting customer needs this winter. How come the biggest, who should have the best resources and deepest pockets, is continuing to struggle?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jeffk For This Useful Post:
Lakemamma (03-05-2014), Rusty (03-05-2014), Winnisquamguy (03-06-2014)
Old 03-05-2014, 10:43 AM   #45
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
Oil (and propane) delivery is a relatively local business. People from New York are not coming to New Hampshire to deliver heating oil or do service. People will continue to need heating oil and service whether Fuller delivers it or some other company does. There are lots of other local companies that can take up the slack. Local drivers and techs will simply follow the business from Fuller to whoever it migrates to. If Stafford picks up 500 of Fuller's customers they will probably hire a new delivery driver. The business will not disappear because Fuller doesn't supply it.

Other NH companies seem to be meeting customer needs this winter. How come the biggest, who should have the best resources and deepest pockets, is continuing to struggle?
By reading your posts about this issue, I like your logic about what might be happening. It appears that Fuller needs someone like you to get him straightened out. Give him a call.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:47 AM   #46
brk-lnt

Quote:
We just started using Fullers about 1 1/2 years ago and have nothing but good to say about their service thus far. Unfortunately it sounds like I am in the minority and the wagons have started circling...

It's been a long cold winter and I sure hope this mess with Fred Fuller gets resolved quickly and amicably and doesn't domino effect him out of business for the sake of the good people he employs and services...

Dan
We've used Fuller for 13 years now. In the past we've always had prompt service, it was easy to get through to them, and their service techs were generally very good.

While I haven't had the need for service on my equipment this year, we have had a heck of a time getting access to our pre-buy fuel. Supposedly we are on the delivery schedule for tomorrow, but it seems that only happened because my wife and I spent the better part of Monday morning constantly dialing their numbers until we got through.

As others have pointed out, you should not need ANY phone system in order to determine that your pre-buy customers need fuel deliveries. Sure, that would impact the customers that buy on demand, and THEY would have trouble getting through. However, these problems seem to have impacted Fuller customers across the board, and the explanations so far have been very weak.

Currently we have just over 1200 gallons left with Fuller in our pre-buy. If I get my delivery tomorrow as planned, that will use about 450 gallons. So, I'll still have about 800 gallons, or roughly $2400 sitting in an account that I'm worried about being able to get delivered before the company totally implodes.

I've seriously contemplated just going to Home Depot and buying 3 oil tanks and having Fuller fill them all with my remaining pre-buy oil.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:01 AM   #47
ishoot308

Quote:
I wish I could answer that Jeff but unfortunately I am not someone that is "in the know" and certainly don't pretend to be in this instance.

Maybe you answered your own question, because they are the biggest and this has the been the coldest winter on record in a long time they were caught shorthanded, not prepared, whatever you want to call it...I just don't know...

As far as other companies picking up employees of Fullers should the unthinkable happen...Your probably right, BUT I don't think any employee ever wants to start all over again and lose time and grade, vacation, (pension maybe) and all the other benefits accrued by a long term employee...

Like I said previously, I just hope this all works out for all parties involved, the business "Fred Fuller Oil", their employees and those they service.

I just know I can't be the only one who was happy this past year with Fuller...

Dan
Lakemamma (03-05-2014)
Old 03-05-2014, 12:44 PM   #48
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default We are customers from at least 24 yrs.

I have service tags going back to 1990, and I suspect my folks contracted with them before that. I would guess back to the early 1980's, and perhaps as early as 1976 when they bought the land and brought over the trailer and porch that started our residence here.

I have dealt with Fuller Oil personally from 1996 and we have never had a problem. I too am on automatic delivery, and although I heat primarily with wood, I do have to run the oil burner in very cold weather, like this year. We are on automatic delivery, but we do monitor our oil supply, and on a few occasions, we have contacted them to report we are down to about a 1/4 tank. Usually within the next week or so, we get a delivery of Kerosene (outdoor tank). From my perspective, automatic delivery does not mean the oil company (any oil company) is going to be able to always calculate oil supplies. I feel that as a homeowner, I have a stake in monitoring the amount of oil I have on hand.

I will be glad when this winter is over, and hopefully Fuller's headaches will end.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:52 PM   #49
Chaselady

And I heard they let the Alton Central School run dry. The kids were in cold classrooms this week. They weren't answering calls from the town either.
Chaselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:59 PM   #50
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
I wish I could answer that Jeff but unfortunately I am not someone that is "in the know" and certainly don't pretend to be in this instance.

Maybe you answered your own question, because they are the biggest and this has the been the coldest winter on record in a long time they were caught shorthanded, not prepared, whatever you want to call it...I just don't know...

As far as other companies picking up employees of Fullers should the unthinkable happen...Your probably right, BUT I don't think any employee ever wants to start all over again and lose time and grade, vacation, (pension maybe) and all the other benefits accrued by a long term employee...

Like I said previously, I just hope this all works out for all parties involved, the business "Fred Fuller Oil", their employees and those they service.

I just know I can't be the only one who was happy this past year with Fuller...

Dan
Commendable thoughts, I think we all share them. But maybe Mr Fuller should have thought of these things before he decided to let his business "go south" twice this winter. This does not in any way seem to be an industry wide issue and it doesn't seen feasible that the issues are related to the size of the company. This appears to be a mismanagement issue.
I'm not a Fuller customer, but if I were, especially after this second debacle, I would be searching for another supplier.
I believe there is a procedure in place to recover any prepaid funds.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:04 PM   #51
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
From my perspective, automatic delivery does not mean the oil company (any oil company) is going to be able to always calculate oil supplies. I feel that as a homeowner, I have a stake in monitoring the amount of oil I have on hand.
In essence I agree with you. If your usage is much higher than "normal", then you might have to call and schedule a delivery early. But if you are not using excessive amounts of heat, the oil company can and should be able to anticipate your usage AND schedule their drivers on logical routes to make efficient deliveries.

I could see a rare instance where you might have to call them and request an early delivery, even with normal usage. If their business is running properly, it would be reasonable to expect you can get through on the phones with no issues, and they could give you a confirmed delivery in the next 24-48 hours. My experience this year with Fuller has not shown that to be true. In January we were well below 1/4 of a tank and I couldn't get through to anyone at Fuller for a full day, so I had to use an alternate supplier. I finally got through to Fuller, and they topped off the tanks a few days later. Based on historical data (over the last 13 years, I've logged every delivery date and amount) we would have been due for another refill mid-February. That didn't happen, and we were a couple days into March with our tanks running empty. Again, it took several attempts to get through the phones, and on the first call they couldn't give us any confirmation of a timely delivery, just a promise to "put us on the list".

IMO, if they are going to sign you up for *automatic* delivery on a pre-buy program, they should be able to manage that appropriately. Yes, as the homeowner I need to keep an eye on my oil levels, which I did. But Fullers performance this season has been pretty much consistently poor since December-ish.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:27 PM   #52
tis

BRK, I feel sorry for you. I hope you get all your pre buy before and if anything happens.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:36 PM   #53
ishoot308

Brk;

Sounds like you did everything right and were put in the same boat as many of the others who are rightfully unhappy.

I hope everything works out for you.

Dan
Old 03-05-2014, 01:45 PM   #54
brk-lnt

Quote:
Brk;

Sounds like you did everything right and were put in the same boat as many of the others who are rightfully unhappy.

I hope everything works out for you.

Dan
Thanks. It's not like we're in danger of freezing, I can afford to abandon whatever I have left with Fuller and just buy more oil someplace else. It would be disappointing for sure, but hardly something to put me in financial distress. I'm more concerned about people that have a chunk of money tied up with Fuller and no financial means to just go out and essentially re-buy their heating oil from another supplier. What Fuller is doing here is, IMO, a very significant disservice to the community. They are putting customers at risk, and I think it's reasonable to assume they are putting the income stream of their employees at risk through bad business practices.

While I've been a satisfied customer for 13 years, their handling of this is atrocious and when I look at the greater extent of the problem I'm not willing to cut them any slack. The rolling impact of this is too great for anything less than a complete and honest explanation by the company. They did NOT get into this because of a faulty phone system, and the longer they attempt to hide behind that excuse, the more worried I am about the sustainability of the company.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:19 PM   #55
upthesaukee

Default I am not on a pre-buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
IMO, if they are going to sign you up for *automatic* delivery on a pre-buy program, they should be able to manage that appropriately. Yes, as the homeowner I need to keep an eye on my oil levels, which I did. But Fullers performance this season has been pretty much consistently poor since December-ish.

As I said earlier, I am fortunate (?) because I usually get one fill up a year, which is really good seeing how I have to use Kerosene. I am not on a pre-buy because of our low use, and because my experience with a pre-buy with an organization I am involved with was not good... for two years. The pre-buy was good if the price went higher than the pre-buy rate, but no relief if the price dropped below. but that is for another thread.

Back on track, I hope they get it together... I can see some legal ramifications coming about, either in a civil area, or by the state.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:47 PM   #56
Legionnaire70

I'd say the writing on the wall is pretty clear, they will be claiming bankruptcy soon i'm sure....probably in the same line as THE MEAT HOUSE...
Legionnaire70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:16 PM   #57
brk-lnt

BTW, if you were one of the Fred Fuller customers previously affected and had to buy oil elsewhere, you can read a fairy tale letter from Fred here, and download a form to submit a claim for reimbursement:

http://www.fullers.com/news/issue-claims-form

They have set up a fund equal to their "donation" to the state of NH, which had to step in to run their business for them. So, this fund is about $22,000 or so. That means the first, maybe, 150 people to submit a form might have a chance at reimbursement.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:32 PM   #58
Lakemamma

Thank you BRK for that....

I called them today as I am still waiting for our delivery. Again I got told might b there in 10 days and that's what I was told last time I called. The receptionist said well we understand if you go somewhere else. Wow, ok I will thanks I need oil and I need it now.

Called another company and will get delivery tomorrow.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:57 PM   #59
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakemamma View Post
Thank you BRK for that....

I called them today as I am still waiting for our delivery. Again I got told might b there in 10 days and that's what I was told last time I called. The receptionist said well we understand if you go somewhere else. Wow, ok I will thanks I need oil and I need it now.

Called another company and will get delivery tomorrow.
You're a good person for waiting so long to take your business elsewhere. But it is always the right move to make when a company is consistently unable to meet its customers' needs.
The Following User Says Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post:
Lakemamma (03-06-2014)
Old 03-06-2014, 06:27 PM   #60
Charlie T

Default Who is accepting new customers?

Does anyone have any info on which oil companies are accepting new customers and who may be reliable? Many of us on the Forum are out of town and don't have the easy access that those of you who live at the lake 24/7 do to this type of info. It's a very uncomfortable feeling to not know how much oil is in the tank and not be able to rely on your supplier for fuel.
Thanks
CT
Charlie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:36 PM   #61
Lakemamma

Hi Charlie,

There is

Foley
Laconia Oil
Stafford

All local and it seems that everybody is willing to help this problem. It seems once you tell them your a Fred customer they really feel our pain. They would be happy to take on new customers.

Good luck with your search. This sure is frustrating.......

Sorry you are going through this also.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lakemamma For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (03-07-2014), Charlie T (03-06-2014)
Old 03-06-2014, 09:05 PM   #62
brk-lnt

FWIW, Fuller did come today as promised and topped us up with 420 gallons.
Lakemamma (03-06-2014)
Old 03-06-2014, 09:28 PM   #63
Lakemamma

Brk,

That is great news..... Glad you got your oil.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:43 PM   #64
upthesaukee

Default We followed a Fuller tanker today...

We were coming out of Concord on 202/4/9 eastbound and were passed by a Fuller tanker going up the hill by Tractor Supply in Chichester. Obviously empty and heading back to the coast. A good sign.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:46 AM   #65
BroadHopper

Default Foley Fuel in laconia

Has a big sign outside their office on S, main St in Laconia. 'Taking on new customers'.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:27 PM   #66
ITD

Former Fred Fuller customer here..... ran out of oil, enough is enough. Hopefully the new company will be better....
Old 03-18-2014, 07:44 PM   #67
Den65

Default thinking of leaving myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
Former Fred Fuller customer here..... ran out of oil, enough is enough. Hopefully the new company will be better....
Have been a long time Fuller oil customer both myself and my father-in-law, but he was suppose to get a delivery on the 17th an order that was put in 2 weeks earlier and when they didn't show he ran out. So I called and asked WHEN was the truck coming because he was out and I was told it would be sometime this week........unless we wanted an emergency delivery which would cost $97 more? So 3 trips to the gas station with two 5 gallon jugs we got him going. But if they don't show I'm gone. I do believe we have had worse winters than this and I have never had this type of problem, there has to be more to this story.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:24 AM   #68
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den65 View Post
Have been a long time Fuller oil customer both myself and my father-in-law, but he was suppose to get a delivery on the 17th an order that was put in 2 weeks earlier and when they didn't show he ran out. So I called and asked WHEN was the truck coming because he was out and I was told it would be sometime this week........unless we wanted an emergency delivery which would cost $97 more? So 3 trips to the gas station with two 5 gallon jugs we got him going. But if they don't show I'm gone. I do believe we have had worse winters than this and I have never had this type of problem, there has to be more to this story.
Let me get this straight. Your father in law calls Fuller two weeks in advance for an oil delivery. They don't show up and you go back and forth to the gas station to keep him warm. You call Fuller and they say it will be an extra $97.00 fee to resolve an emergency they created. And you give Fuller another chance to resolve the situation? It is amazing to me how forgiving some of Fred Fullers customers are.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post:
Den65 (03-19-2014), Heading4thelake (03-22-2014)
Old 03-19-2014, 10:05 AM   #69
BroadHopper

Default Fuller Oil

My step daughter called Fuller Oil yesterday that they failed a promised delivery and that they are out of oil. Fuller actually told her to find another supplier! Now that is a twist! Are they going out of business?
Old 03-19-2014, 12:34 PM   #70
Sunbeam lodge

Quote:
My step daughter called Fuller Oil yesterday that they failed a promised delivery and that they are out of oil. Fuller actually told her to find another supplier! Now that is a twist! Are they going out of business?
I sure hope not.
I have been a customer since 1994 and never had any problems and he services my furnace every year
Sunbeam lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:38 PM   #71
Den65

Default I hear ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
Let me get this straight. Your father in law calls Fuller two weeks in advance for an oil delivery. They don't show up and you go back and forth to the gas station to keep him warm. You call Fuller and they say it will be an extra $97.00 fee to resolve an emergency they created. And you give Fuller another chance to resolve the situation? It is amazing to me how forgiving some of Fred Fullers customers are.
I hear what your saying and you are right . I have contacted Irving oil to have them deliver my next tank, I have them for propane and adding oil was no big deal. I know you have oil thru Fullers and propane thru Irving ? Yup just they way it happen. Let you know how it goes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Den65 For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (03-21-2014)
Old 03-20-2014, 07:06 AM   #72
fpartri497

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbeam lodge View Post
I sure hope not.
I have been a customer since 1994 and never had any problems and he services my furnace every year

I have been a customer since 1990 this week It took me 3 phone calls to finally get my Oil. thats the 1st. time ever had a problem with fuller

Old 03-20-2014, 07:19 AM   #73
BroadHopper

Default Laconia Oil

http://laconiaoil.com/

They seem to have a good base. Any comments?
Old 03-20-2014, 09:30 AM   #74
Lakeboater

My neighbor had been a long time Fuller customer. She came home after being away for the weekend to find herself out of oil and her house 42 degrees. No luck getting thru to Fuller so she tried another local company who came out and got her going and then filled her tank. She switched to them and the new company put a sign on the oil fill telling Fuller not to deliver.
Lakeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:38 AM   #75
upthesaukee

Default Feeling good...

On Monday, my wife called Fuller Laconia to order a delivery. We were right at a quarter tank of Kerosene. Phone answered in about a dozen rings.

The lady looked up our account and said that by their records, we should be at about 40%, and thanked us for letting them know.

She said they did not have any Kerosene, but would have a delivery and we should get oil next week. Ok, is it time to get worried??? Fortunately, we do heat primarily with wood, so our dependency is lessened somewhat on oil.

About 20 minutes ago, right after our driveway was plowed, Fred Fuller Oil truck pulled into our driveway. I had not shoveled out the path to the tank and the driver said "no problem". I did thank him for the delivery, and he thanked us for staying with Fuller.

We can now continue to be happy Fuller customers, and are pleased that we are getting our "senior" rate along with the prompt pay discount.

Some Fuller stories do have a happy ending.
KPW (03-21-2014)
Old 03-20-2014, 10:25 AM   #76
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
On Monday, my wife called Fuller Laconia to order a delivery. We were right at a quarter tank of Kerosene. Phone answered in about a dozen rings.

The lady looked up our account and said that by their records, we should be at about 40%, and thanked us for letting them know.

She said they did not have any Kerosene, but would have a delivery and we should get oil next week. Ok, is it time to get worried??? Fortunately, we do heat primarily with wood, so our dependency is lessened somewhat on oil.

About 20 minutes ago, right after our driveway was plowed, Fred Fuller Oil truck pulled into our driveway. I had not shoveled out the path to the tank and the driver said "no problem". I did thank him for the delivery, and he thanked us for staying with Fuller.

We can now continue to be happy Fuller customers, and are pleased that we are getting our "senior" rate along with the prompt pay discount.

Some Fuller stories do have a happy ending.
From many other posts, this story is not ended.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:42 AM   #77
HellRaZoR004

My question now is why hasn't the media picked up on the issues once again? What happened to the state review of Fuller's prepaid contracts?
Old 03-20-2014, 11:16 AM   #78
upthesaukee

Default Just a quick clarification...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRaZoR004 View Post
My question now is why hasn't the media picked up on the issues once again? What happened to the state review of Fuller's prepaid contracts?
While we are on "automatic delivery", we do not pre-buy our oil. Heating primarily with oil, we find it better to have our money in our checking account than in a utilities. We get a senior citizen discount, and we always prompt pay.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:54 PM   #79
GTO

Default other oil companies

Quote:
http://laconiaoil.com/

They seem to have a good base. Any comments?
How about any experience with the other companies in the lakes regions, Foley, Stafford, etc? Not just for delivery but for serviice as well
BroadHopper (03-21-2014)
Old 03-20-2014, 12:55 PM   #80
HellRaZoR004

Quote:
While we are on "automatic delivery", we do not pre-buy our oil. Heating primarily with oil, we find it better to have our money in our checking account than in a utilities. We get a senior citizen discount, and we always prompt pay.
That's good clarification. It might mean the difference between getting oil because you have money to give them rather than getting oil that was supposed to be bought previously.
The Following User Says Thank You to HellRaZoR004 For This Useful Post:
jeffatsquam (03-20-2014)
Old 03-21-2014, 03:12 PM   #81
Charlie T

Default They just don't get it

I attempted to contact Fuller a couple of weeks ago both via email and with telephone messages, I finally got a response from them yesterday telling me I could expect a delivery in the "next couple of weeks" Needless to say I've made other arrangements with another more reputable oil supplier. I contacted Foley oil via their website and had a call back within 15 min. That is a responsive company that wants and deserves my business. Fuller is down and out as far as I'm concerned. Fired, Canceled, Kaput!

CT
Old 03-21-2014, 08:53 PM   #82
ghfromaltonbay

Default Fuller and Alton schools

In last week's Baysider I read that Alton Central School didn't get their oil delivery from Fuller and they wound up with no heat one morning. The contract with Fuller has been cancelled and the school went with Rhymes. Fortunately they got oil and could get the boiler going so a school day wasn't lost.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:18 PM   #83
ITD

I feel bad for the employees of Fuller who as far as I know don't deserve what is going on, but being in business means taking care of business and managing your money. I don't know what is going on at Fuller's, but if I were forced to make an educated guess I would say cash flow problems resulting in over extended credit with vendors and the resultant c.o.d. terms from suppliers. If you don't have the cash, you don't get the product, if you don't get the product, you can't deliver it to your customers. If you can't deliver to your customers, they leave you for someone else who can take care of you.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:44 AM   #84
wifi

Reminds me of the fella in Moultonboro, years ago, that ran a small two truck oil business. He would only accept pre-buys as customers, the cheapest prices in the area. His business built quickly, until he had delivery problems, seemed he invested all the pre-buy money in the stock market .... Picked a bad one that year. I would assume a large business like Fullers would take a longer time to wind down.
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 05:42 PM   #85
Rusty

Here we go again:

http://www.seacoastonline.com/articl...NEWS/140929952

BRENTWOOD – Spraque Energy Corp. of Portsmouth has filed a $4.7 million lawsuit against Fred Fuller Oil and is seeking to seize the fuel dealer’s vehicles.
In a suit filed this week in Rockingham County Superior Court, Sprague claims the Hudson-based company hasn’t paid for fuel it provided.
Sprague argues Fred Fuller Oil breached a contract and now owes $4,702,588, plus interest at a rate of 1.5 percent per month. Sprague says the dealer should also pay the attorney’s fees incurred as a result of the contract breach.
The legal action follows delivery problems that plagued Fred Fuller Oil last winter.
Hundreds of customers complained about delivery delays while others claimed they couldn’t reach the company by phone.
The complaints prompted the state to establish an emergency hotline last January for those customers who were unable to reach the company or were in imminent danger of running out of fuel. More than 1,800 customers reportedly called the hotline.
At the time, Fred Fuller Oil blamed the problems on extreme weather, a spike in demand for oil and propane, and problems with its phone system.
A woman who answered the phone at Fred Fuller Oil on Saturday said no one was available to comment on the lawsuit.
Sprague’s suit was filed by Portsmouth attorney Lawrence Edelman, who wrote, in part, “Having requested and received Sprague’s fuel products, the fair and reasonable value of which is $4,707,588.77, it would be unconscionable for Fred Fuller Oil to retain this benefit without remitting payment in that amount, plus interest. That is to say, Fred Fuller Oil has been unjustly enriched at Sprague’s expense. In addition, by virtue of Fred Fuller Oil’s failure to remit payment and its consequent unjust enrichment, Sprague has incurred the costs and attorney’s fees associated with the necessity of this action, both of which are chargeable to Fred Fuller Oil.”
Sprague is also seeking a $5 million attachment on Fuller’s property and has taken action to seize its vehicles.
The suit argues Sprague is entitled to all vehicles owned by Fred Fuller Oil.
Senior Assistant Attorney General James Boffetti, chief of the state’s Consumer Protection and Antitrust Bureau, said he plans to look into the lawsuit next week to see if it would have any impact on customers who may have entered into pre-buy contracts for this winter.
Boffetti said Sprague is a major supplier for Fred Fuller Oil.
While the lawsuit is a private business dispute, Boffetti said it could have “collateral consequences, especially on its pre-buys for this coming year.”
“Obviously it’s of concern and I think it gives cause to ask a lot of questions about what’s going to happen for this coming heating season. The pre-buy contracts in effect this season, how are those now going to be secured if Sprague is suing him for money that is due. That may have been worked out, but it certainly gives occasion to ask a lot of questions about what's going on,” Boffetti said.
The state recently changed the time when oil dealers can contract with customers who want to pay for their oil deliveries in advance through pre-buy contracts.
In the wake of last winter’s delivery problems, the state now prohibits dealers from advertising or soliciting for customers to pre-buy for the upcoming winter season before May 1. Under the previous law, contracts couldn’t be offered before Jan. 1.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:32 PM   #86
Charlie T

Default Glad I switched

I have to say as a former FF customer I'm quite happy to have switched to Foley as my provider. The company is easy to contact with friendly customer service. FF was a disaster last year and based upon what I just read the future looks bleak. Such a shame to see a long established company that Had such a good reputation go to ruin.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:09 AM   #87
tis

I can't believe anybody would prebuy from them for this winter knowing what happened last year!!! Do you think they actually did? Anybody could figure out they had some kind of cash flow problem last year even if we didn't know details.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:35 AM   #88
fpartri497

I just got got raped by Energy North propane for $4.86 a gal. for 50 gal. of propane. because I only fill the tank once a year

Old 09-21-2014, 02:44 PM   #89
jeffk

After last year, running out of oil once and almost a second time, we recently switched to Stafford.

When I saw this article I thought, "Thank God we are out of that mess." Sprague energy kept saying last winter that it wasn't a supply problem, they had the oil. Now we can see it was a payments problem. In the end, it doesn't matter. Who wants to be connected to an unreliable supplier who is getting sued for non payment of bills (amongst other things)?

If you are thinking about switching, now is the time to do it, not in the middle of winter when other suppliers have already made their fuel arrangements and may have less ability to absorb new customers.
Old 09-21-2014, 03:03 PM   #90
HellRaZoR004

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpartri497 View Post
I just got got raped by Energy North propane for $4.86 a gal. for 50 gal. of propane. because I only fill the tank once a year

You leave a 0 out? 50 or 500 gallons? 4.86 per is a lot though.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:27 PM   #91
jeffk

I heard that Fuller can only pick up oil from the terminal if they come with cash in hand, no credit. If true, that's going to be a problem as the season goes on, especially if there is a cold snap and he doesn't have the payments yet to cover the next buy.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:35 PM   #92
secondcurve

Default More News

HUDSON, N.H. —The major supplier for Fred Fuller Oil is suing the company, saying it owes millions of dollars.

Sprague Energy said Fred Fuller Oil owes nearly $5 million for oil that Fuller picked up. Spraque said Fuller secured the contract with its fleet of more than 100 delivery vehicles.

The lawsuit comes after problems Fuller had last winter, when hundreds of customers complained about delivery delays. Senior Assistant Attorney General Jim Boffetti, the state's consumer bureau chief, said he's worried what the lawsuit could mean.

"We just know a lawsuit's been filed, but if (Fuller) were to be having problems, that would present some serious challenges to this entire state," Boffetti said.

Fuller's problems last year involved customers not getting oil they bought before the season began. Boffetti said most of those problems were resolved.

"At the end of the season, some people were owed money on their pre-buy contracts, and my understanding is that most of that has been repaid to the customers," he said.

Boffetti said he's still awaiting answers, not just about customers who might have pre-bought again, but in light of the lawsuit, how Fuller will get oil at all.

"Thirty thousand customers are all relying on Fred Fuller and his infrastructure, so his delivery trucks, his big tankers that go to Newington and pick up the oil, his storage facilities -- all of that provides him a capacity to deliver a huge amount of oil to a large customer base," Boffetti said. "So if that were to stop, then the question is, how could customers find a reliable source of home heating oil?"

Boffetti said customers should make their heating decisions carefully.

"Customers have to make their own best decisions for their own homes, but this is a serious matter that raises serious questions," he said.

Boffetti said he is waiting for a call back from Fred Fuller's attorney. News 9 did not hear back from the attorney either.

A spokesperson for Sprague Energy returned News 9's call but refused to comment.

A hearing on the lawsuit is set for Oct. 28.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:48 PM   #93
bigdog

I'm Fred Fuller Oil customer for about 3 yrs now......

I called the Laconia office today to get an update about the current lawsuit pending against F.F., and how it would impact customers.

I was told that F.F was going to make a statement today 9/22, but haven't seen anything yet on TV or in newspapers ?

Has anyone heard anything about this? Very concerned about oil deliveries from F.F. this winter under the circumstances.

F.F. has been good to me and VERY satisfied in the past, I've have never had any issues with deliveries or service.

Thanks,
Bigdog
Old 09-23-2014, 05:57 AM   #94
secondcurve

Quote:

I called the Laconia office today to get an update about the current lawsuit pending against F.F., and how it would impact customers.

I was told that F.F was going to make a statement today 9/22, but haven't seen anything yet on TV or in newspapers ?

Has anyone heard anything about this? Very concerned about oil deliveries from F.F. this winter under the circumstances.

F.F. has been good to me and VERY satisfied in the past, I've have never had any issues with deliveries or service.

Thanks,
Bigdog
Bigdog:

Why would you risk staying with this supplier in the face of the Sprague lawsuit and the company's history of being unable to meet its customer commitments? The latest lawsuit filed by one of the largest energy wholesalers in northern New England doesn't bode well for the company's ability to source product for the upcoming heating season. This very public announcement regarding Fuller's inability/unwillingness to pay its supplier will undoubtedly cause a ripple effect with other energy wholesalers supplying Fuller which may cause problems for retail customers during the heating season.
The Following User Says Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post:
bigdog (09-23-2014)
Old 09-23-2014, 07:46 AM   #95
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Fred Fuller

Quote:

Thanks,
Bigdog
Bigdog, I hope you have lots of long underwear! Dealing with the Fuller situation would be too much work for me! Good luck!
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:10 AM   #96
Janet

There's an article on WMUR.com regarding the lawsuit.
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 10:56 AM   #97
YFM700

Quote:
I heard that Fuller can only pick up oil from the terminal if they come with cash in hand, no credit. If true, that's going to be a problem as the season goes on, especially if there is a cold snap and he doesn't have the payments yet to cover the next buy.
This would make sense. My office is almost across the street from Sprague in Newington. Instead of going in and out of the terminal freely like all the other tankers, the FF tankers will sit on the side of the road and wait for 3 or 4 of them to all go in together. Sometimes they just sit there for hours, presumably waiting for a check to clear? I first noticed this practice shortly after their troubles began in early 2014.
YFM700 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to YFM700 For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (09-23-2014)
Old 09-23-2014, 11:09 AM   #98
LakeSnake

Default Needing to leave Fuller

Thank you to those who have provided the recent updates on the Fuller situation. I have been a long time customer of Fuller but after reading the above I think it's time for a change. Can anyone make a recomendation for a replacement fuel company (Oil) that delivers to the Alton area?

Any advise/reviews much appreciated.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:09 AM   #99
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YFM700 View Post
This would make sense. My office is almost across the street from Sprague in Newington. Instead of going in and out of the terminal freely like all the other tankers, the FF tankers will sit on the side of the road and wait for 3 or 4 of them to all go in together. Sometimes they just sit there for hours, presumably waiting for a check to clear? I first noticed this practice shortly after their troubles began in early 2014.
Great info! I am down at Westinghouse in Newington often and will have to look for that.

Now I have to figure out my "oil guy" and move away from Fuller.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:28 AM   #100
Sunbeam lodge

Default Fuller Oil Company problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakemamma View Post
Hi Charlie,

There is

Foley
Laconia Oil
Stafford

All local and it seems that everybody is willing to help this problem. It seems once you tell them your a Fred customer they really feel our pain. They would be happy to take on new customers.

Good luck with your search. This sure is frustrating.......

Sorry you are going through this also.
I am a 20 year customer of Fuller and I guess I am going to have to pick one of the three. Which one would be the best to not only deliver oil but service my boiler. I live in Meredith and are these companies reliable and able to take on a lot of customers leaving fuller?
Sunbeam lodge is offline   Reply With Quote