Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-22-2009, 01:04 PM   #1
jmen24

Question Cruiser Vs Cuddy; Opinions

Well, after about four years off as a powerboat owner and a couple of really fun weekends on the big lake on family members boats, we are in the market to purchase a new boat in the place of a camp for relaxing and getting away.

So, being that we were going to get a camp but are looking at a boat instead, sleeping ability is a must (covered slip would be part of the deal). We have two children (5 and 2), the two boats that we are looking at are both 25 foot Crownlines (same year, same warranty, similar options), short of the added berth in the cruiser with slightly smaller seating area above, are there major differences that I need to be aware of or any other major issues that should be at the top of my list of things to consider. I will be test driving both styles but really want to know what to look for prior to taking a ride, being our first closest bow boat and all.

The capacity is 9 for cruiser and 10 for the cuddy.

We will also be using the boat for the standard stuff, water skiing, tubing, entertaining and getting away from it all.

Anything about Crownline in particular that we should be aware of, my cousin's boat is a Crownline and we really like the fit and finish compared to some of the others we have been on.

Thanks in advance.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 01:35 PM   #2
Dave R

We were in a similar situation a few years ago. We went with a cuddy that sleeps 4 and has double biminis and full height camper canvas. We have no regrets. The cuddy uses less gas than a cruiser and looks much sportier, in my opinion.

We have found that the bigger cockpit of the cuddy is far more useful than a big cabin, even in nasty weather. Of the two boats we looked into, only the cuddy was offered with a big block. When you are pushing 6000+ lbs of boat around, a big block engine is really nice. Our has 24 degrees of deadrise and will get on plane easily with 10 people in the cockpit, without using the trim tabs.

Ours

Ours with the canvas up
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 02:12 PM   #3
Woodsy

I dont know what your price range is, or if your looking at new vs. used or cash vs. loan. One thing you need to know is that if you can sleep. eat & poop on the boat you can write off the interest on your taxes.

Woodsy

PS: If it were me, I would look at buying a slip at a Yacht Club such as Mt. View or Spinnaker and get a nice used cruiser with low hours.... Just to GUARANTEE lake access!
Old 07-22-2009, 03:32 PM   #4
VtSteve

Hard to say without actually seeing everyone in it. Dave pretty much covered the advantages of the cuddy, of which there are several.

The primary feature I personally wouldn't be without, especially with the kids, is an enclosed head. PERIOD

I appreciate the mid cabin in the cruisers, but agree with Dave that the superior cockpit layout is a definite plus for the cuddy. My personal favorite for a cuddy layout is the Chaparral 275 SSi
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 04:32 PM   #5
jmen24

Dave
Thanks, the sportier look is one thing that has been weighing on me as well. The two boats are actually very similar in appearance in the water with the same look on plane, per the video on the website. Were do you sleep the additional two people, in the cockpit, with two in the berth? Both the boats we are looking have the camper canvas included.

Woodsy
Wife says it has to have a head and a shower is a plus. Both models have the same head with stand up shower. The galley on the cruiser is larger with a cooktop. And we will be taking advantage of the interest write off on this purchase as we will be financing a portion. Both boats are less than two years old, but we have not ruled out new if we really need it to get what we want. We were going to get a slip at the marina so it would be in the water full time through the season. Any major pros and cons to marina v yacht club, besides extra amenities? I know more questions, but we trailered our prior boat and that caused us to not use it as much and we do not want that hassle this time around.

The stats on the two boats, same manufacturer and year.

The cruiser weighs in at 6600lbs and is 400lbs heavier than the cuddy. They both have a 350 mag with Bravo III (300HP), 18 degree deadrise on the cruiser. They really look like the same outer hull mold when viewed side by side. I am still in limbo, after reading some old threads with the same subject, I still could not make up my mind. Thanks for the added information and if more is coming thank you for that as well.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2009, 04:42 PM   #6
VtSteve

I hesitate to add this, but I will be the one I guess

The kids. Having ages 5 and 2 is definitely more flexible than older. But for YOUR flexibility, you might want to hang out on the cockpit at night, and then you'll have to decide if moving the kids around is something you want to do. Or else, you'll have lost the cabin berth. At least with a mid cabin, you have that extra space going for you.

It's a tough compromise for sure. You'll need a bigger boat than a 25' In this market, you should at least get close to or more than 30% off. I wasn't sure Crownline even made any 2009 models.
There, I said it
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:04 PM   #7
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post
Dave
Were do you sleep the additional two people, in the cockpit, with two in the berth? Both the boats we are looking have the camper canvas included.

Mine has two, single person mid-cabin berths. They are kid-sized. Mine lacks the enclosed head though. That would be nice...
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 01:23 AM   #8
jrc

I vote cruiser. With two kids you really want to have the extra room below. The sporty looks really don't matter on a boat like this and the gas difference is more based on weight.

That said, you might consider going a little older and a little bigger. Four people on a 25' cruiser is tight. Sure a camper top will help.

As to marinas versus yacht clubs, they are just names. Most big places on the lake are technically condominiums, each slip is privately owned. In a few places one person/company owns the whole place. You can rent a spot in either. Check the amenities before you sign.

I've been living on my crusier every summer weekend for four seasons. Before that I owned a condo in Samoset. The comfort factor is better in the condo, but you can't beat sleeping on boat.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:42 AM   #9
Silver Duck

If, as you said, you want to use the boat as a weekend place in lieu of a camp, a cruiser is a much better choice. When you spend as much time living aboard as my wife and I do (every weekend from ice out to late October), amenities matter and cruisers will have a higher level of amenities. First amont those amenities should be reverse-cycle heat and AC! And, of course, a full camper canvas setup is a must.

I, too, think that 25 ft. is marginal for a family of four for the use that you intend. Your children are not going to be getting any smaller and I fear that your family will out grow the boat that you're looking at fairly quickly. My wife and I have owned a 24 ft., a 26 ft., and now a 29 ft. cruiser and I can say with confidence that more is definitely better for your intended use!

Silver Duck
Silver Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:52 AM   #10
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
I hesitate to add this, but I will be the one I guess

I wasn't sure Crownline even made any 2009 models.
There, I said it

They did manage to get out a few 2009 before closing production at the first of the year. They are currently in talks to be purchased by the company that bought Rinker a few years ago, can't think of the name off hand but Rinker quality went up after the purchase or so I have heard. Just a case of bad timing, they invested a lot of money to have the most state of the art manufacturing facility in the country and then the bottom fell out.

I have looked at a 27' and a 29'. The extra room is nice but it would be a huge jump in boat size from what I came from, but I guess by the boat once and enjoy it more.