Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2008, 12:26 PM   #1
imalocal

Default Jon's Roast Beef

OMG - I just had a fabulous roast beef sandwich from Jon's Roast Beef & Deli! I had the small roast beef with the creamy horseradish sauce with lettuce and cheese, and it was sooooooooooooooo good! A small was more than enough to fill me up, but I wish I had a large, because when I was done I wanted more. And the potato salad was excellent as well. I will definitely be going back for more soon.
imalocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 05:33 PM   #2
Newbiesaukee

Where is it located?
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 09:29 PM   #3
Resident 2B

Near Shaw's and Lowe's and CVS on the Laconia/Gilford line.

Officially on Rt 107 near the intersection with Rt 3.

Good place!

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 05:52 AM   #4
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Thumbs up Good food and Nice people

Name:  Jon's 1.jpg
Views: 2797
Size:  96.7 KB

Name:  Jon's 2.jpg
Views: 2821
Size:  94.0 KB

We stop in for sandwiches often. Jon recently passed away. The folks that own it now are somehow related to Jon. ( I think ). Very nice bunch of young ladies.

My favorites are Roast Beef w/ Horseradish The Cruiser and The Mount Washington. The boss loves the Governor's Island

Be sure you note the hours and the Cash and Checks only policy. (Saves you a fast trip to the ATM )
Old 06-14-2008, 08:01 AM   #5
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

I've never been tempted to stop in due to their commercials which air frequently on local cable stations. The video is poorly done and the colors are way off making the roast beef look grayish in color! (maybe I should adjust the color on my TV?) However, based on your reviews I'll be sure to stop in next time I make the trip to Lowes.Wait a minute! I have to stop in at Pepper's place! decisions.....decisions....
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2008, 09:13 AM   #6
jrc

I actually tried it because of the corny commercials last year.

So far everything I've had has been great except the sausage. It was edible but bland, it needed something. The roast beef, pastrami and BLT was great.

The new owner is very attentive and is always walking around asking about the food. They seem to be getting the hang of running the place.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 03:00 PM   #7
KennyOfTheLake

Thumbs up Cruiser

Yeah! Try a large "Cruiser". Excellent corned beef, melted cheese and cole slaw on a really good sub roll. OMG!
KennyOfTheLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 04:25 PM   #8
MindFire

Default Jon's ROast Beef

Haven't been there because I cringe at pulling in and out of there. I was there when he first opened. Sorry to hear he has passed. I will try it again!
MindFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 11:45 AM   #9
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Talking Looks Yummy!

SteveA, thanks for posting the menu. Any place that has roast beef in the name makes R-Guy nervous. Now I feel confident that he can find something delicious too. Thanks everyone for the reviews, I am looking forward to some tasty roast beef!
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 09:57 AM   #10
joann721

Thumbs up Excellent Cruiser

We stopped at Jons on Saturday afternoon. We were on our way to the Weirs and wanted to have lunch first. We drove down to see if Peppers was open yet and when they were not we had to find another place to have lunch. We went to Jons Roast Beef. My husband and I both had the CRUISER which was corned beef - cheese- cole slaw and mustard. My husband said it was one of the best sandwiches he has ever had. The quality was excellent, the service was excellent, the people we welcoming and very nice. Came by the table after we had our food to check on everything. I would give them 5 out of 5 stars for a great lunch at a great price - $4.75 ... cant beat it. Will definite go again & often.

Frustration is trying to find my glasses without my glasses.
joann721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 09:33 AM   #11
AKADQ

Thumbs up Great Food ! Great People !

I have been going to Jon's Roast Beef since it opened with Jon & Liz. Owner operated, Jon ran a tight ship and made a quality sandwich at a good value. I was sorry to hear about Jon's passsing over last winter and was overcome by disapointment for two reasons. One, being that Jon was to young for life to be cut short and two, what would happen to jon's RB. Thankfully Liz found a couple from Gilford... Bill, Rhonda (Rhonda's weiners with the freshest buns) and their son Bill Jr..Since the take over this family operated Deli has exceeded what Jon started (Jon would be happy). I want to thank Bill, Rhonda & his staff for keeping the same quality sandwich's and adding a little personality. Keep up the good work !!!!!
AKADQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 08:22 PM   #12
Scott

I absolutely love their roast beef sandwiches. My only complaint is just pulling in and out of there on a busy day.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 07:55 AM   #13
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Pulling out is a problem for sure .....I can't go by there without stopping for a delicious hot pastrami.When I leave,I don't try to cross traffic, I turn right and then reverse direction at the lights if I need to head south
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 08:31 PM   #14
ladyslipper

Default Jon's Roast Beef

We stopped at Jon's today for the first time in a long time. We were soooo
impressed with the food and the service. GREAT food and the price was very reasonable. Had a small roast beef with swiss cheese, tomato and bbq sauce. Comes with chips and delicious pickle for $4.95. Very clean, and excellent customer service. We will make it a regular stop!!
ladyslipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 03:38 AM   #15
chow machine

Thumbs up

best subs in town period
chow machine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chow machine For This Useful Post:
ladyslipper (10-13-2008)
Old 10-13-2008, 08:14 AM   #16
angela4design

Thumbs up Thumbs up

I agree totally! I love that you can get value, flavor, service and local support all into one lunch! They're very friendly there, and I call ahead when I'm short on time.

For $5.35 (including tax) I get my sandwich, chips, and pickle included, while others I work with wait in lunch-hour lines to have a sandwich-maker microwave their ingredients and throw it all together. And, it's $5 for a sub there (well, only 8 of their subs, actually).

When I come back for lunch with a Jon's with a "Governor's Island" (Chicken Salad, cranberries, and cucumbers), and they have a flat microwaved sub, the SANDWICH ENVY ensues. I've made a few converts just that way!
angela4design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 09:49 AM   #17
SIKSUKR

Yup,a big thumbs up from a guy who is a roast beef fanatic.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:19 PM   #18
MaidenCove07

Thumbs up HUGE FAN of Jon's Roast Beef

3 out of 3 visits this summer have been A # 1 in terms of service, quality and overall satisfaction. What a gem of a place!!!

The staff is always friendly and grateful for our patronage and the service is fast!
I regularly order the Roast beef with whatever I feel like having on it, today it was peppers, tomatoes, onions, cukes and mayo. The beef is nice and rare, just the way I like it and the veggies are obviously fresh. The crunched with each bite...I love that!
Free chips and a pickle make their sandwich deal even better.
My pal had the pastrami sandwich and hasn't stopped raving yet, she's even considering going back for dinner on her way home tonight to try something else.
4 enthusiastic thumbs up for Jon's Roast Beef, even if I have to battle traffic in and out. Totally worth it!
MaidenCove07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 07:13 PM   #19
luvmypups

Thumbs up Great sandwich shop

I went for the first time the other day and they had a nice selection of signature sandwiches. I got a pastrami and my sister got a thanksgiving sandwich and we both loved them. We also got a side of coleslaw and it was very fresh, not runny or soupy at all.
luvmypups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 06:50 AM   #20
Meredith lady

Default I'm sold

I have driven past this place a million times-now I crave pastrami and will be stopping in soon
Meredith lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:19 AM   #21
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Jon's has added Dinners" to go!

Stopped in last night for a couple of "subs". They were great as usual.

Name:  Jon's Dinners to Go.jpg
Views: 1064
Size:  16.5 KB

They have added Homemade Dinners.

Didn't try them this time, but they sure looked good. Price was very good. Most around $5.99.

I did pick up a big slice of the "Chocolate Heaven" cake. Wow!

This place just beats the "chain" sub shops silly.

Support your local businesses.
hockeypuck (02-20-2010), Meredith lady (02-22-2010)
Old 06-20-2010, 02:50 PM   #22
Pineedles

Default Father's day lunch

Well, its two for two today, as my kids took me to Jon's Roast Beef for lunch and it was fantastic! We all had the Roast Beef special done the "House Way" with BBQ sauce, creamy horseradish, and melted provolone. Delicious! After we were done a man who had a nicely trimmed beard came up and asked us if everything was OK, and of course it was!

The reason we were in that area, is that my kids took me to the Belmont Range and treated me to my first experience with an automatic weapon. We all literally had a BLAST shooting the MP-5 9 mm.

We're doing King Crab lakes for dinner tonight at the cottage and I know that meal will be great too. Happy Father's Day All.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 05:24 PM   #23
DRH

Default Sounds Like Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
The reason we were in that area, is that my kids took me to the Belmont Range and treated me to my first experience with an automatic weapon. We all literally had a BLAST shooting the MP-5 9 mm.
Pineedles, sounds like you had an enjoyable Father's Day at Belmont Firearms (after the great lunch!). QL, DBA, Airboat Guy and I continue to go there every week and we really enjoy our target shooting hobby. We've never rented the automatic weapon that you did today, but it sounds like a real "blast"!