Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Wildlife
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #1
Pineedles

Default NH Fish & Game needs your help

As I am not sure how many of you subscribe to emails from the NH F&G, the email below is asking for your help. Even if you don't hunt or fish but merely appreciate New Hampshire's wildlife please help. Thanks.

Pineedles

News from the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department
Phone: (603) 271-3211
Email: info@wildlife.nh.gov
For information and online licenses, visit http://www.wildnh.com

Glenn Normandeau: 603-271-3511
Sandy Falicon: 603-271-3511
Jane Vachon: 603-271-3211
March 7, 2013

STOPGAP FUNDING FOR FISH AND GAME DEPARTMENT INCLUDED IN STATE BUDGET:
HOUSE FINANCE COMMITTEE HEARINGS TO BE HELD MARCH 7-18

CONCORD, N.H. -- The House Finance Committee will hold a series of regional hearings on the state budget, which includes stopgap funding for the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department. The hearing schedule is as follows:

CONCORD - Thursday, March 7, 2013, from 4:00 to 7:00 p.m. in Representatives Hall, State House, 107 North Main Street, Concord.

WHITEFIELD - Monday, March 11, 2013, from 5:00 to 8:00 p.m. at White Mountains Regional High School, 127 Regional Road, Whitefield.

NASHUA - Monday, March 11, 2013, from 5:00 to 8:00 p.m. at NH Community Technical College, 505 Amherst Street, Nashua.

CLAREMONT - Monday, March 18, 2013, from 5:00 to 8:00 p.m. at the Sugar River Valley Regional Technical Center, 111 South Street, Claremont.

ROCHESTER - Monday, March 18, 2013, from 5:00 to 8:00 p.m. at the Rochester Community Center, 150 Wakefield Street, Rochester.

BACKGROUND ON N.H. FISH AND GAME'S FUNDING ISSUES:

The New Hampshire Fish and Game Department is facing a major funding shortfall. On behalf of the state and its citizens, Fish and Game manages the state’s fish, wildlife and marine resources, which boosts our economy and enhances our quality of life. Without legislative action, the Fish and Game Fund will be depleted by the end of FY 2015.

What does Fish and Game need?
Fish and Game cannot continue to fulfill its responsibilities without additional funding assistance from the State General Fund:

- Short term: $550,000 for FY 2014 and $745,000 for FY 2015 in State General Funds; this includes $200,000/year for the Search and Rescue Fund.

- Long term: Establishment of a stable supplemental funding source to create a means for the broader public constituencies who benefit from the Department’s services to help contribute to its operations. A Legislative Funding Commission to explore options is part of HB2 as introduced.

Actions citizens and lawmakers can take:
- Support stopgap funding in the state budget (HB1) to keep the N.H. Fish and Game Department operating in FY 2014-15.
- Support passage of legislation to create long-term funding sources for Fish and Game.
- Go to http://www.wildnh.com/funding for a list of opportunities to speak out on behalf of your Fish and Game Department.

Search and Rescue -- Essential Public Safety Services: Part of the funding shortfall for Fish and Game is the cost of search and rescue missions. Basic funding for Search and Rescue efforts comes from a $1 fee on every boat, snowmobile, OHRV and ATV registration; these fees are deposited into the Search and Rescue Fund. For some time, these fees have not been sufficient to cover costs, so the deficit – which now typically exceeds $200,000/year – draws down the Fish and Game Fund.

All N.H. residents and visitors benefit from Fish and Game programs and services, from fish and wildlife management to boating access, land conservation and search and rescue:

- Unlike most state agencies, Fish and Game is self-funded. Its revenue comes from hunting and fishing license fees and federal sources such as Wildlife and Sport Fish Restoration funds.

- The only State General Fund money that currently goes to the Fish and Game Department is a $50,000 matching grant to the Nongame and Endangered Wildlife Program. This represents 0.2% of Fish and Game’s total budget.

- Less than 25% of the population – hunters and anglers – currently help fund the Department. That formula worked for many years, but today there are fewer hunters and anglers and increasing demands for Fish and Game services.

Fish and Game’s work brings jobs and tourists to New Hampshire, creating a major economic engine for the state. Our science-based management of fish and wildlife provides benefits to all wildlife, to our residents and state visitors, and improves the quality of life for everyone who benefits from these resources.

- Wildlife-associated recreation contributed $556 million in expenditures to N.H.’s economy in 2011, according to the 2011 U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service National Survey of Fishing, Hunting and Wildlife-Associated Recreation. Of this total, hunters and anglers spent $275 million, while wildlife watchers spent $281 million.

- Anglers, hunters and wildlife watchers spent $112 million on food and lodging in New Hampshire, based on the 2011 U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service National Survey of Fishing, Hunting, and Wildlife-Associated Recreation.

- In 2012, commercial marine fisheries landings in New Hampshire were valued at $22 million.

Fish and wildlife conservation provides healthy outdoor recreational opportunities for New Hampshire residents and tourists:

- Hunters and anglers age 16 and above spent over 5.7 million recreation days in New Hampshire during 2011, while wildlife watchers tallied 1.9 million days of wildlife-watching recreation away from their own homes. Wildlife watching in New Hampshire represents high economic value resulting from the Department’s work, which is currently supported primarily by hunting and fishing revenues. Collectively, this represents 7.6 million user days of wildlife recreation in New Hampshire.

- According to the U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service National Survey of Fishing, Hunting and Wildlife-Associated Recreation, in 2011 (people age 16 and older):

-- 56,000 hunted in NH;
-- 228,000 fished in NH;
-- 630,000 watched wildlife in NH.

Fish and Game programs support clean water, clean air and a healthy environment for wildlife and people:

- Fish and Game provides critical support for habitat and land conservation in the state, at a time when N.H. is losing 18,000 acres of open land to development each year. Our conservation partners have expressed support for supplemental funding – and concern for the future of our state’s wildlife and natural areas if the Fish and Game Department does not get the help it seeks.

Your support will help ensure that future generations can hunt, fish and enjoy wildlife and wild places in New Hampshire. Watch the Fish and Game website, http://www.wildnh.com, for updates on Fish and Game's funding situation.

- ### -

--
Copyright 2013 New Hampshire Fish and Game Department, 11 Hazen Drive, Concord, NH 03301.
For usage policy, visit http://www.wildnh.com/Inside_FandG/usage_policy.htm.
Comments or questions concerning this list should be directed to jane.vachon@wildlife.nh.gov
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Pineedles For This Useful Post:
Airedale1 (03-26-2013), BroadHopper (03-07-2013), Just Sold (03-07-2013), KPW (03-08-2013), Lakesrider (03-10-2013), Resident 2B (03-07-2013)
Old 03-10-2013, 01:29 PM   #2
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

They should charge for search and rescues if they are avoidable. Especially anything on MT Washington....In the Winter.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lakesrider For This Useful Post:
Pineedles (03-11-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 08:59 AM   #3
Steveo

Default Fish and game need your help

For this reason (and others) I just wonder why they spent the money on Downings
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:10 AM   #4
HomeWood

I always click on the donation option when I buy my fishing license online. It's something I guess.
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:32 AM   #5
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWood View Post
I always click on the donation option when I buy my fishing license online. It's something I guess.
It is something can you imagine if everybody did that!! I do the same thing when I happen to be in my local Petsmart in Mass. I always pay with plastic (debit) and everytime I donate 1.00 to homeless animals. Can you imagine if everybody that paid with plastic at all their stores across the country (I've seen them in many states.) I'm thinking that would be a simple way to raise thousands and thousands a week one dollar at a time.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2013, 07:49 AM   #6
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Unfortunately many agencies in NH find themselves underfunded. And of course trying to get them funded is a major challenge with out changing the Tax structure in NH.

However I think what it is time for the State of NH to consider, is looking at agencies that can be combined. For instance, The NH marine patrol already patrols the water. And of course I see a fish and game boat sitting idle most of the summer at 19 mile bay. Why doesn't Fish and Game work in co-operation with the Marine Patrol, I see a huge savings on equipment. And while I am not advocating merging the two agencies, if a Marine Patrol officer and a Fish and Game officer when in a Boat together, especially on weekdays what would it hurt.

The problem in NH as well as most states, is that there are to many agencies... they need to look for parallelisms, and work together, instead of fighting for funding, and having an over lapping need for additional resources.
tis (03-26-2013)
Old 03-26-2013, 01:01 PM   #7
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
Unfortunately many agencies in NH find themselves underfunded. And of course trying to get them funded is a major challenge with out changing the Tax structure in NH.

However I think what it is time for the State of NH to consider, is looking at agencies that can be combined. For instance, The NH marine patrol already patrols the water. And of course I see a fish and game boat sitting idle most of the summer at 19 mile bay. Why doesn't Fish and Game work in co-operation with the Marine Patrol, I see a huge savings on equipment. And while I am not advocating merging the two agencies, if a Marine Patrol officer and a Fish and Game officer when in a Boat together, especially on weekdays what would it hurt.

The problem in NH as well as most states, is that there are to many agencies... they need to look for parallelisms, and work together, instead of fighting for funding, and having an over lapping need for additional resources.
The main issue with combining the two is that Marine Patrol is under the DOT, which gets its funding through the General Fund.

NHFG is not funded through the General Fund (nor can their budget be raided for the General Fund). That is a requirement for many of the Federal Conservation Grants they recieve annually, they would lose the lions share of their budget by combining.

It is a good thing that F&G is not attached to the tax structure in NH.

Also, F&G and Marine Patrol are taxed with two very different reasons for being on the water. I would think a CO would be quite bored with having to wait around while tickets for boating issues are handed out by the MPO.

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Insi...pie_charts.htm

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Insi..._QandA.new.htm
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote