Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-05-2015, 05:28 PM   #1
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts
Default Spotlights on boats

Hi All,
Can someone clarify the law in NH about the use of spotlights on boats? Typically someone might have it plugged into the cigarette lighter or perhaps it's got its own built-in supply.

In any event I recall there was some potential problem about their use and that it "might" get you stopped by MP, but I might be wrong here.

I understand why pointing it in someone's face at night on another boat etc. of course not the thing to do, same as if you refuse to turn down the brights while driving your car.

With prudent use they are of course key on the lake at night. I'm on the lake at night alot and really don't need it that often but when I do they are terrific to have.
Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 05:36 PM   #2
Sal

Consider a hand-held 1000 lumen, focusing flashlight. Amazingly bright. Runs on 3 c cells. No muss, no fuss, no wires. It'll light up the markers as well as the wired spot light.
Costco, among others, has them for about $20.00.
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:35 PM   #3
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Heaths Hardware sells a really nice floating LED hand held spot light- great for buoys and also has a red flasher. Runs on 4AA batts so I always keep a spare set on board in case it gets jarred on. Cheep too $20-25 IIRC.

If MP wants to ding me, so be it. Rather be judged by 12...
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
Airedale1 (05-06-2015)
Old 05-05-2015, 10:12 PM   #4
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default I use mine some...

On a moonless night going into West Alton, once you get by the street light on the right, it sure is nice to have until you get down into the Marina itself.

I will use it to find the Black buoy off of Treasure Island, and other similar buoys not associated with a flasher. Yes, I have the GPS, but I want to see the bouy.

Also, more than once I have come out of Alton Bay and noticed a boat wake that seems to indicate that I am coming up on a boat, but I see no White light. time to slow down, and break out the spotlight. Oh, yeah, there it is ... no stern light / all around light. Mom and Dad 4 kids....

My spot is a less than $10 spot with one of those square batteries with the spring thingees on the top... 6 volt, I think.

I think the MP would have a problem with using a spotlight like a set of headlights, leaving it on and shining straight ahead. I have seen them pull over boats cruising with their dock lights on.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:13 AM   #5
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Heaths Hardware sells a really nice floating LED hand held spot light- great for buoys and also has a red flasher. Runs on 4AA batts so I always keep a spare set on board in case it gets jarred on. Cheep too $20-25 IIRC.

If MP wants to ding me, so be it. Rather be judged by 12...
I have the same LED spot light. it is a keeper!
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2015, 04:58 AM   #6
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts
Default Limit the use

I would hope that people would limit the use of spotlights to when it is absolutely necessary for safety.

Once you pull away from wherever you are docked it takes a little time but your eyes adjust to the available light. Many times I have had someone heading towards me pull out the spotlight and shine it directly at my boat, blinding me. To me, that is just as unacceptable as driving towards someone in a car with your high beam headlights on. It takes a couple of minutes for the eyes to adjust to the darkness again.

And, an adult should be operating the light at night. I have seen situations with young kids using a spotlight shining it on every boat in the area as well as in the windows of peoples homes. Not good!
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (05-06-2015), LIforrelaxin (05-06-2015), upthesaukee (05-06-2015)
Old 05-06-2015, 06:26 AM   #7
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

You are not supposed to travel even with your lights. Ours were on once and we didn't know it and we got stopped. Lights are meant I guess for just a quick minute to get your bearings or when you dock.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 06:44 AM   #8
Phantom

I think Diver's REAL question was "Is there any specific rules" ......

Personally, I am not aware of any but I know there are others on this forum who are perhaps better equipped to answer.

I too find it quite helpful and use my "Docking lights" periodically (for a short timed burst) to locate specific makers, with the bow up, they are a perfect substitute for a handheld and the glare does not blind your night vision -- for me it is typically in the area of FL#44 heading in toward Meredith (locating the red top off Stonedam in particular)..... and like Upthesaukee, I too have GPS but want to "see" it.

We all have observed the pontoon boats who utilize there docking lights as a substitute for car headlights ... but I have to believe in my heart of hearts that at least 75% of the time they are simply unaware as they hit an additional switch on the console when turning on their Navigational lights. Thus a shameless "plug" for illuminated toggle switches on the dashboard

Old 05-06-2015, 07:10 AM   #9
ishoot308

Thanked 4,940 Times in 1,916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
I think Diver's REAL question was "Is there any specific rules" ......
There are specific rules as to what are considered navigation lights. Spotlights do NOT fall into that category.

Spotlights should only be used for docking or emergency purposes. It is irresponsible and dangerous to other boaters to use them during navigation. If you need a spotlight to navigate, you shouldn't be on the water at night...

Dan
brk-lnt (05-08-2015), campdavid (05-07-2015), LakeSnake (05-06-2015), LIforrelaxin (05-06-2015)
Old 05-06-2015, 08:49 AM   #10
Rich

ishoot has it right.

There are no spotlight specific rules. But there are rules that state what lights can be on during navigation, or while anchor/mooring, and a spotlight is NOT one that can be on (but they can be used momentarily).

That being said, the best spotlights will have a 'trigger' switch, in that you can turn on the spot for a short blast as needed. This solves many problems, one of which is preserving your own night vision (while also not blinding other boaters, and not allowing them to see your navigation lights because your spot/docking lights are on).

I used to think that the best spot must be the powerful one mounted permanantly on my bow. It has both a flood and spot mode and I can point it remotely from my helm. All larger boats seem to have these, so they must be the thing to use, right?!?! NO!

I had an experienced night boater go out with me and explain why these things are rarely useful and could be dangerous The problem is that they are too slow to move and hard to get on target to illuminate a potential hazard or a navaid, etc.

The best thing to use is a hand held spot with a momentary on switch. This way you can point it naturally and quickly with your hand, and then turn on the light just when you need it to momentarily illuminate a marker, dock, boat, etc.

If you tried to do this with a boat mounted remote spot, it would be on for much too long and it's too hard to use to accurately point while you and your boat are moving.

I think the best hand held spots can run both from a power jack on your dashboard, and also can be run from an internal battery. This way you have a sort of a backup. If the battery is dead, use the dashboard power. If the dashboard connector fails or a fuse blows at night (I've had it happen), you can use the internal battery (always make sure it is fully charged before your night navigation starts). If you are the boy-scout or over paranoid type, have a backup spotlight available too as the bulbs are very fragile if the spot is bumped while the bulb is still hot.

I'm not sure if the new LED spot lights are as powerful as the halogen spots yet. Perhaps the newer, more expensive LED spotlights are good now? It's hard to compare them as the LEDs are rated in 'Lumens' and the non-LEDs are rated in Candlepower. I find my 1,000,000 candle power spotlight is just barely adequate at times (it has a 100 watt halogen bulb). Here's an interesting article or two if you are trying to compare Lumens to Candlepower: http://www.flashlightuniversity.com/...s-candlepower/
http://www.ehow.com/how_5997091_conv...er-lumens.html
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rich For This Useful Post:
laketrout (05-08-2015), LIforrelaxin (05-06-2015)
Old 05-06-2015, 02:51 PM   #11
Knomad

See link below from the Marine Patrol in an earlier thread:

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ad.php?t=10254

When using your spotlight, you should take whatever steps you can to prevent from shining your spotlight into the wheelhouse of other boats. You can easily ruin another boater's night vision with your spotlight. Be prepared to look away from other vessel's spotlights should that skipper shine his light into your wheelhouse. Only turn your spotlight on for the amount of time you need it to light what you are looking at. Never leave your spotlight on continuously while underway as it can distract boaters that are a fair distance away. If you feel the necessity to leave your spotlight on at all times, you may want to reconsider taking your boat out at night.

Using your white docking lights a white light on the front of the boat will obscure the red/green nav lights and will make it looks as if your are on the stern of that boat.
Use your docking lights to assist you in docking only.
Knomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:59 PM   #12
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts

My question has been answered thank you all. Not illegal per se but it depends on how you use it.
Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Diver1111 For This Useful Post:
laketrout (05-08-2015)
Old 05-08-2015, 12:18 PM   #13
laketrout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver1111 View Post
My question has been answered thank you all. Not illegal per se but it depends on how you use it.
Exactly! Just use a spot light with common sense..
laketrout is offline   Reply With Quote