Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-20-2010, 06:45 PM   #1
AKADQ

Lightbulb Your food for thought ideas are needed

We are exploring a new venture and would like to know what people are looking for and expecting when it comes to affordable take-out options. My wife & I have been in the food business since 1996 owning the Lakeshore Deli from 1996-2000 and the DQ in Laconia from 2000-current. We want to make another business investment as we still own the building that operated the Lakeshore Deli and most recently Your Neighborhood Florist, now vacant.
What are people looking for ? A place for a great gourmet burger & fries, a good mexican burrito...We would like it to be upscale and good value. Whatever peoples thoughts are, we do know Meredith does not need another pizza shop/deli as we want to bring something different to the area.
AKADQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:17 PM   #2
GTO

Default your right...

Meredith does have alot of Pizza/delis. How about a GOOD Pizza/deli. Read some of the negative threads on pizza places already in Meredith. I am surprised the place that moved into Abodante lasted the summer. Everytime I went by, it was empty. Anyways, A good sub, not greasy, good portions, fresh, home made rolls.....to name my needs anyways
Old 10-20-2010, 08:06 PM   #3
jkjoshuatree

Default How About Decent Sushi?

Or tapas?

Have you ever heard of Darwin's in Cambridge? Amazing higher end sandwich shoppe that offers gourmet coffee and soups, free WiFi, pasta salads, pastries, etc. That may be a good idea too. Although this may seem too much like a deli it's more like a cafe. It has some of the best sandwiches in Boston.

Just my .02 cents.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:31 PM   #4
john60ri

Default Fish?

This may sound lame, but I'm just asking: Would a fast food fish and chip restaurant be able to make it today? Years ago we had Long John Silver's and Arthur Treacher's. Might be able to put some healthy stuff on the menu to go along with the batter fried fish.
john60ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:07 PM   #5
kauriel

I would love to see something like Jet Rock Bar & Grill. I've been to the one in Philly or DC airport and it was a whole new experience and they had amazing comfort foods including fried mac & cheese.

They offer a sit-down bar/restaurant and they also have self-service kiosks to place to-go orders. As a picky eater, I loved the idea of placing the order myself so that the kitchen received my exact order. I would love to open a restaurant some day where customers can place their own orders for sit-down and take out.

From a customer perspective just imagine being able to order the moment you are ready and then not having to worry about mix-ups like receiving salmon with blue cheese instead of a salad with blue cheese! Customers would also be able to see cost throughout ordering process so there is no sticker shock at the end.

From the business perspective it allows wait staff and cooks to confirm exactly what was ordered. No more he said she said arguments!
kauriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2010, 06:02 AM   #6
jrc

AKADQ, I think you are on the right track, why not combine both hamburgers and burittos and make a nice sports bar? I'm thinking something like Patricks in Gilford. Is there anything like that in Meredith now?

I also think Meredith could use a good sub sandwich shop, like the old Waldo Peppers. That may be too close to your old deli. Plus you would miss out on the night time bar business.

Meredith has plenty of breakfast and lunch shops, plus a few high end places, not as much in between.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:22 AM   #7
redsoxer

Anything but Italian and/or pizza! I have never seen a small town that has so many Italian restaurants! I think both mexican and burger joint would be great options. Something quick and easy for people to grab while out on the boat!
redsoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:22 AM   #8
Happy Gourmand

Default Cheeseburgers....

You can get a half decent burger/cheeseburger anywhere. GREAT burger places are few and far between. Fresh ground quality beef....fresh baked bulky roll.... choice of toppings....fresh cut potatoes in the deep fryer.... can I place my order now?
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:30 AM   #9
baygo

Default Gelato

I think a seasonal Gelato shop would be a hit. I also like the Tapas idea. The best thing that ever happen to McDonalds was Burger King.
baygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:32 AM   #10
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Agreed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
You can get a half decent burger/cheeseburger anywhere. GREAT burger places are few and far between. Fresh ground quality beef....fresh baked bulky roll.... choice of toppings....fresh cut potatoes in the deep fryer.... can I place my order now?
Ever thought about Five Guys. I think it would work in this area.

http://www.fiveguys.com/franchise.aspx

I know they say on this site that they are sold out.. but the locator they have shows no locations north of Manchester.

http://www.fiveguys.com/locations.aspx?fAddress=03249
Old 10-21-2010, 08:22 AM   #11
fatlazyless

I like the idea of Mexican fast-food that serves up everything to eat in or to take-out, all on paper plates and throw-away wax paper. Just keep the order menu as simple as possible because it is easy to get confused when ordering Mexican if it is new to you, and nothing hurts a restaurant more than a menu than baffles the customer. Be able to get out of there with a semi-stuffed stomach for about four to six dollars, just like McDonald's, and have a self-serve, large cup-o-water & ice machine, also just like McD's...

Tacos - burritos - nachos - salads.....good quality taco shells, flat corn rolls, tomatos-cheese-onions-halapenos-Mexican food....served up quickly.....suggest you take a peek at the over-sized menu posted in the window of the now seasonally closed Flying Burrito Brothers in Waterville Valley's town square area and just copy-cat their menu. It has been in biz for maybe four years, now?

If a Meredith McDonald's can do well all year around, and not just in the busy summer season, then that Dr. Clough house location with its' very high visibility, combined with tasty Mexican food served quickly, should also be able to succeed all year-12 months going. Don't you think?

Having two driveway entry points, one on Rt 25, and one on Pleasant St is a major good thing for a biz like this. Who knows....maybe a couple years down the road....a drive-thru window is a possibility?

What that location has is very excellent visibility from both the busy Route 25 and Pleasant St sides, combined with already in-place driveway entrances from these two roads. Plus, the color of the building is already a brite yellow which is very Mexican, a terrific restaurant commercial color, and an excellent background for some easy-to-read signs. For a new Mexican quickly prepared food location that is a stand-alone and not part of a national chain here's a couple of business tips.

Choose a name that easily identifies the restaurant for what it is......thinking about the name 'Flying Burrito Brothers' tells the viewer it is about burritos and is flying or probably made quickly.

Choose some quality signs, with good Mexican colors, that are both simple in message, easy-to-remember, and easy to read from a car as it drives along down Rt 25. Getting a professional sign designer to help think up some possible signs is always worth the expense, so maybe you want to go talk to Annie Paquette at Paquette Signs. Just keep the signs big, bold, Mexican colorfull, and they should send ONE SIMPLE MESSAGE to the uninformed as they drive drive past. First impressions for a non-chain, road side food spot are very important.

If you want to see some local Meredith restaurants with signs that do nothing to help their business, just take a look at Zacky's, Sunshine & Pa's, or the Wining Butcher.

Take a look at Hannaford's huge electric sign. A picture is worth a thousand word, and the picture there shows all types of grocery store produce under the name Hannaford's. Simple signs that are illuminated for when it is dark are perfectly good. No need to spend big bucks for some electronic fancy-dancy lighted sign.

A name like 'MEREDITH MEXICALI' coupled with a colorfull picture of a large green prickly cactus, a large yellow sun, and some orange leafy ground plants would probably work because it is simple and looks very Mexican. And, down at the bottom of the sign in smaller letters it should say: 'Mexican Food.'

And, then of course, after you get people into 'Meredith Mexicali', you need to deliver good quality eating, and have people working there who look like they are CLEAN and have a GOOD ATTITUDE.

Definately go for it, with that location and a lot of good planning, it could become a lakes region MEREDITH MEXICALI go-to spot for years ahead!

ps

Suggest you google the real Mexican name of 'Mexicali' to learn something about the wide spread use of this name!

A name like Meredith Mexicali lets people know where to go, whether by boat, or by car, or by foot, in summer, or in winter, when they want Mexican food. It's that simple!

Hello again....just thought of this...getting all the fresh food materials like beef, chicken, cheese, taco shells, burritto buns, onions....etc, etc, etc from across the street at Hannaford's seems like a best bet. You get to pick the items, they will probably be a lot fresher than from off a Sysco Truck, and you just buy something when you need it, plus it's very convenient....just a short walk away. For plates, paper goods and canned soda, there's Tilton Costco or Concord Sam's Club.

All things considered, the Dr. Clough house is a terrific location, complete with that looooong view looking down the bay, and it must get a lot of sunshine....just like in Mexicali, Mexico! ........Meredith Mexicali - Mexican Food!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 10-21-2010 at 06:48 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:44 AM   #12
Shore Driver

I love the sports bar/gourmet burger idea someone mentioned. Offer plenty of fish too. That is just what Meredith needs.

No fast food, please...
Shore Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shore Driver For This Useful Post:
Lucky1 (10-22-2010)
Old 10-21-2010, 09:21 AM   #13
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shore Driver View Post
No fast food, please...
It's not fast-food.....it's more like good quality Mexican food - served quickly!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 10-21-2010 at 10:06 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:06 AM   #14
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

I'm assuming that it's going to be seasonal and since you have another operation and won't be there all the time, you'll want to keep it fairly simple.
Considering that you have outside seating facing the lake..............I would do a clambake. Pretty hard to screw up steamed lobster and clams. You could also have a few other seafood items such as garlic crab (a Ft Lauderdale place I know serves them on newspaper and people love it) mussles and some real good bread. Maybe one chicken item for the non seafood people.
You won't need a pricey chef or a big payroll.......everybody loves to get down and dirty on vacation. Picnic tables and paper plates and no dishes to wash.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:40 AM   #15
donnamatrix

Default Something like Jon's in Laconia?

Hi AKADQ: I work in Meredith, and truly miss the Lakeshore Deli!!! You always had good mix of everything. I don't think the property is big enough for a sports bar or something like Patrick's ... it's a small spot. But think about this: the place in Laconia near Shaw's - Jon's Sandwich Shop - now run by different folks than original owner, but their sandwiches ROCK!!!! They are fairly priced, good sized and yummy. They now also sell meals to go (heat at home). Actually, why not go back to the Lakeshore Deli scenario? The grub was really good!!
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:50 AM   #16
winniplayhouse

A suggestion if you are doing a take-out lunch type place. Whatever you decide as the main focus, how about a make-your-own salad bar? I was so excited when Hannaford was being built because I thought it would be a convenient place to run in to grab a salad but they didn't put in a salad bar. I know I would drop my kid off at Inter-Lakes and stop in to make a salad before I went to work...
winniplayhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:04 AM   #17
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by john60ri View Post
This may sound lame, but I'm just asking: Would a fast food fish and chip restaurant be able to make it today? Years ago we had Long John Silver's and Arthur Treacher's. Might be able to put some healthy stuff on the menu to go along with the batter fried fish.
Long John Silvers is for fish eaters that live in Idaho.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:09 AM   #18
dpg

The LR needs a Five Guys, they rock. Strictly healthy eaters need not comment.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:31 AM   #19
john60ri

Default Weiners!

Just had a great idea! Down here in RI we have New York System hot weiners. Next to pizza, the greatest fast food on earth! You folks up there need a weiner joint!
Old 10-21-2010, 12:53 PM   #20
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by john60ri View Post
... You folks up there need a weiner joint!
AKA Bellybusters!

gimme 3 all the way
Old 10-21-2010, 12:58 PM   #21
RI Swamp Yankee

Franken Sundae
Lucky1 (10-22-2010)
Old 10-21-2010, 02:30 PM   #22
phoenix

a twin of the original waldo Peppers would be great. good sandwiches, great lobster rolls and maybe an occasional guest appearance by Pepper herself. A place like that would be great there
Old 10-21-2010, 03:14 PM   #23
JayDV

Default Something new and delicious

If there is plenty of business or people traffic, how about fast food with a flair? I enjoy the breakfasts, lunches during work week. Sometimes even take dinner home for the wife and I.

www.getcosi.com

None in NH yet, why not be the first?
JayDV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:22 PM   #24
winnipiseogee

Love the idea of tapas / wine bar but that's pretty much Lagos in the summer. I do miss the old Lakeshore - you guys did great work. If its going to be year round my staff was just telling me how much they want a good soup place this time of year (and we eat a lot of take out).

If its seasonal how about the upscale frozen yogurt places (i.e. Pinkberries). I eat too much ice cream in the summer for it to be healthy...

Good Luck - we'd love to see you back in town!
winnipiseogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:53 PM   #25
LuvWinni

Would love to see a sports pub in Meredith
LuvWinni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LuvWinni For This Useful Post:
CGI3 (10-23-2010), GsChinadoll (10-23-2010), Lucky1 (10-22-2010)
Old 10-21-2010, 08:21 PM   #26
john60ri

Default Weiners!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RI Swamp Yankee View Post
AKA Bellybusters!

gimme 3 all the way
Yeah, baby! Now you're talkin'!
Old 10-21-2010, 08:41 PM   #27
Pineedles

Default A ny deli

A NY deli like Reins in Vernon CT, With sadndwichs/freshers to match the best you can get in NY. Out of this world sandwiches.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:42 PM   #28
kauriel

If you plan to offer sandwiches and/or seafood I would suggest offering lobster rolls with choice of butter, plain, or mayo lobster filling with options to add celery, cucumbers (diced like at Summer Shack!), lettuce, etc.

If you want to go the seafood route, Summer Shack seems to have a good model because it is always busy whenever I've been there! http://www.summershackrestaurant.com...enu%202010.pdf
Old 10-22-2010, 12:55 AM   #29
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauriel View Post
If you plan to offer sandwiches and/or seafood I would suggest offering lobster rolls with choice of butter, plain, or mayo lobster filling with options to add celery, cucumbers (diced like at Summer Shack!), lettuce, etc.

If you want to go the seafood route, Summer Shack seems to have a good model because it is always busy whenever I've been there! http://www.summershackrestaurant.com...enu%202010.pdf
Meals to go ( that you can heat at home) would be my choice also.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 05:32 AM   #30
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default What a great Idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
A NY deli like Reins in Vernon CT, With sadndwichs/freshers to match the best you can get in NY. Out of this world sandwiches.
A real New York style deli. Great idea.

I never miss a chance to stop at Rein's. The place is awesome.
http://vernon.reinsdeli.com/ordereze/default.aspx

The only New York style deli that that I like more is in NJ at Exit 10.
Harold's. http://www.haroldsfamousdeli.com/
Old 10-22-2010, 06:02 AM   #31
Lucky1

I think a sports bar would be a great asset to Meredith. I do not know what you need for size but that sure sounds appealing. Make the food like a 99 restaurant if you know what that is. Have some healthy dishes along with the other favorites and have a salad bar. Both young and old people today are eating more healthy foods and less fat today. Good luck in whatever you try. I was never in the old Deli and most of that time, I did not know it was there so signage is important. Would you have alcohol? I don't drink but that would bring in more people I would think.

I am not sure why places close so early in our area of the lakes region in season. I would think that if you can stay open a bit later and have people who would like to be there later, that might give you a bit more business. Eight o'clock seems too early to me. I came up with a friend this summer and was amazed to find that nothing but the Italian place in Mills Falls (with VERY LOUD MUSIC) was open at nine o'clock during the week???
Lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:28 AM   #32
Shore Driver

Lucky1, Giuseppe's bar is the best evidence that Meredith needs a sports bar. It's usually packed and has a TV, but...its just not a sports bar.
Shore Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:43 PM   #33
Pam

That would be fabulous to have another eating establishment at that site! I've missed the deli ever since it closed.

That location seems really too tight for a regular restaurant, but could offer muffins and other breakfast baked goods, gourmet sandwiches, or light meals. Either Mexican style burritos/wraps or lobster rolls would be great, too.

How about having a comfortable sitting area inside, similar to the Village Perk with wireless internet available where people could hang out? It's such a great place to look out at the lake while having coffee, or lunch, or an early supper. Good luck with whatever you plan! I hope to be a loyal customer!
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:30 PM   #34
Island Girl

Default Food that is fast, but not "fast food"

Things to go that are fresh, delicious and can be taken on the boat.

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:29 AM   #35
robmac

My vote is a great place for deli,easy to take on the boat and for on the run. Can't wait to see your choice.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:05 AM   #36
no-engine

Reviving the theme of "lake shore deli" would be great. People continue to ask about the salads to go, which were in the original spot now bank owned. Remember the Rouvalis name, and the view south down bay? For a while two ladies owned it, and appeared to do well, in empty building.
Combine with the themes that the deli/restaurant which was once on Main Street where Karen/Barry's is now - name slips me, but Steve owner. They had great following for take-out sandwiches & lunches.
Maybe also work on theme of Mexican - mexicali corner.

Work on the themes of "lake side", the "view", etc. I remember people going to park benches along Lake, right across Pleasant Street. Is any of that available? Capitalize on what is right there. There are lots of working people within walking distance, including the public boat docks. The bank's office building is new since deli closed. Do other market or pharmacy employees eat there?

I, also, anticipated a Hannaford's salad bar, but I see that the store is too small to dedicate salad bar space, like other Hannaford's. Side note: [Which of the two new Laconia spots either side of Hathaway House, has people with gray vehicles who park backwards?]

It is a shame to have recent short lived businesses in that corner spot, Route 25 and Pleasant Street. State/Town have made the intersection more efficient for vehicles.
no-engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:44 AM   #37
mediman

Default Think "99" without the chain or name

My wife and I have commented many times how surprised we are that there's not a 99 Restaurant closer by than Tilton. Personally, I think it would make a killing in the area. Comfort food that isn't "seasonal", take-out option, bar area for adults, kid-friendly, and most importantly it would be equally attractive to locals and visitors year round. I guess the closest thing to this would be Patrick's Pub in Guilford. I would venture to guess that they do alright! And they're located in the middle of nowhere!
mediman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:35 AM   #38
robmac

Mediman, don't forget T-Bones and Cactus Jacks which have great food and a view of the lake.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:50 AM   #39
no-engine

Default Look at 99 sites

Just like other franchises, I don't think that corner, as it is, is a "..." franchise site. Look at what McD had to do up on the hill for site/land work!
Different story if one add the "seasonal restaurant" site to corner site.
Just my personal observation.

Does Meredith need added franchises? NO! As others have written, go for the specialty and uniqueness of a place.
Old 10-23-2010, 05:06 PM   #40
MarkinNH

Just a quick question for all those people suggesting sports bars and sit down restaurants like a 99's etc. Where are all the customers supposed to park ? The building in question has limited parking at best.
I certainly don't know the legal requirements but I would suspect that a xx# seat restaurant most likely would have parking requirements.
This is only my personal opinion, but the town of Meredith already has 8 places with bars, that I can think of right off the top of my head where people can go and drink. Somehow I just don't see the town really needing another one.
MarkinNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 05:33 PM   #41
arthurc

Default Lake Shore Deli

Just bring back the lake Shore Deli. It was fine
arthurc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 05:39 PM   #42
no-engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinNH View Post
Just a quick question for all those people suggesting sports bars and sit down restaurants like a 99's etc. Where are all the customers supposed to park ? The building in question has limited parking at best.
I certainly don't know the legal requirements but I would suspect that a xx# seat restaurant most likely would have parking requirements.
This is only my personal opinion, but the town of Meredith already has 8 places with bars, that I can think of right off the top of my head where people can go and drink. Somehow I just don't see the town really needing another one.
Parking is part of the reason when I wrote the site is not appropriate for franchise. Just look at parking around restaurants like 99 & appleby's
Old 10-24-2010, 07:29 AM   #43
Bear Island South

Default Mexican

FLL is on to something...the burrito shop would be a great idea...I've noticed in Mass, the Qdoba and Chipolte restaurants are always busy.
Keep it simple, fresh food and good help.
Bear Island South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:40 AM   #44
SAMIAM

Since there is limited parking, seems like you need something that is fast turnover.....are there any docks or access from the lake?
Old 10-24-2010, 09:02 AM   #45
no-engine

I seem to recall water Lake access and a little grass strip used by clients of former Lake Shore Deli, BUT I think the depth is quite shallow.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:22 AM   #46
jrc

After reading these posts, I figured out where this place is. I only really know Meredith by boat. You can walk there from the public docks. There is a small public park right on the water, I guess you could anchor there and swim/wade in.

Now that I remember this building and the previous deli, it might be too small for a Patricks/99 type place. And too small for any chain. A sports bar would have to be more like Crazy Gringo (only cleaner ). I know that CG is more biker bar than sports bar, but a few more TV's is all you need. Crazy Gringo has been busy year round for a long time it's not a bad model to copy.

Or to repeat myself, a steak sub place, like the original Waldo Pepper's.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 11:06 AM   #47
AKADQ

Thumbs up K-i-s-s

You all have some great ideas but we are thinking more of the frase K-I-S-S(KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID). Restaurants and Pubs are great ideas but the old Lakeshore Deli concept worked great, mostly take-out with some seating. Although we would not rule out the resurrection of Lakeshore Deli, we feel we would like to do something different. Most corners in Meredith now offer sandwich's/pizza it seems. One successful business concept that comes to mind that is simple and different in Laconia is " Buritto Me". Part of the old "Lakeshore Deli" menu was Mexican and it did very well. Another business concept that is different is specializing in a good burger with handcut fries and shakes. Remember the frase K-I-S-S...

Last edited by AKADQ; 10-24-2010 at 03:42 PM.
AKADQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 01:46 PM   #48
Chickie

Default Fish & Chip Shop

What about an honest to goodness fish and chip shop like they have in the UK? When I was in Scotland in the 70’s there was one on every street corner and they were all busy on any given evening. Instead of going out for ice cream, they went out for fish and chips. Nothing fancy, as it was just rolled up in paper and away you went. They certainly knew the secret to frying fish to perfection. It was so tasty and fried to a golden brown. If you could find Skate in this country, you would have a winner. Best darn fish I’ve eaten and it has no bones.
Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:50 PM   #49
Shedwannabe

What I most would like to see is a restaurant featuring real food - organic, non-GMO food - i.e. food that is actually good for you. MY kitchen is almost always more appetizing than going to some place that has anitbiotic drenched meat, GMO vegies and corn, and a reliance on dairy to cover its lack of appeal.

Would also be nice to have a place that focuses on taste over quantity - you know - not feed the epidemic of obesity.
Shedwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 06:31 PM   #50
SAMIAM

Shed .....that would make for a happy world.....except that nobody wants to eat that stuff. Can you think of a single health food restaurant that has done well in the lakes region?
At the VK, we offer several healthy entree's and people tell us they appreciate it but they amount to a very small amount of sales.
Maybe it would work in a larger city but I think it would be a recipe for failure in the lakes region.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:49 PM   #51
winnipiseogee

Burgers or Burritos? Both would be great. Just PLEASE do good burritos (Burrito me is a great example). New England burritos have a tendency to be BAD! Also, check out In-n-Out burgers - most profitable fast food per sqft in the country. They don't franchise but its a great concept!
winnipiseogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:25 PM   #52
MarkinNH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedwannabe View Post
What I most would like to see is a restaurant featuring real food - organic, non-GMO food - i.e. food that is actually good for you. MY kitchen is almost always more appetizing than going to some place that has anitbiotic drenched meat, GMO vegies and corn, and a reliance on dairy to cover its lack of appeal.

Would also be nice to have a place that focuses on taste over quantity - you know - not feed the epidemic of obesity.
One of the negatives of this would be the price's. If you look at what organic items cost in a grocery store you can only imagine what items would wind up costing the customer in an organic restaurant.
I agree that we should all eat healthier but Samiam said it very well. Who wants to go to a restaurant whether it is eat in or take out and pay hard earned money for toffu and rice cakes. Not Me
Now a Really Good Chili Burrito sounds pretty darned appetizing.
MarkinNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:30 PM   #53
Liquorish

How about something that would cater to boaters in the summer and deliver to the public docks? Simple, great sandwiches and salads, burgers etc.
Liquorish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:07 PM   #54
fatlazyless

Here's the www.burritome.com website/menu and apparently the Flying Burrito Brothers in Waterville Valley have no website which is not unusual.....like why even have a website. After all, one cannot eat or taste the website ....what Flying Burrito has is an over-sized menu with prices and descriptions in their window.

Burrito Me is conveniently located just across from the www.laconialibrary.org ... another good reason to visit downtown Laconia....and, by the way, downtown Laconia, Main St, has three very nice retail stores, side by side up by the end near the Winnipesaukee River: Bootlegger's Shoes, Laconia Antiques, & either a Family Dollar or a Dollar Tree store....it's a blur in my memory as to which?

BURRITO THAT! ....possible name for new Mexican take-out....or maybe 'Meredith Mexicali-Mexican Food' .... hey, burrito that, amigo!
Old 10-24-2010, 08:40 PM   #55
jkjoshuatree

Default I Agree...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedwannabe View Post

Of course I just couldn't just stay quiet about this considering the industry I'm in, but I agree with Shedwannabe. Like everyone else, I enjoy eating out but with the limited "healthy" choices out there, I tend not to. With fast food, it's even harder to find healthy fare.

SAMIAM...I love the fact that you offer healthy food but when you say, "no one wants to eat that stuff" it's not true. And while I'm not trying to preach, this country is in a SEVERE decline with it's health. The obesity epidemic is out of control. Ten years ago, 1 in 11 kids were obese. Today it's 1 in 3. And with increased obesity comes higher health risks (diabetes, heart failure, sleep apnea, high blood pressure and cholesterol-just to name a few). 49 out of 50 states are obese (Colorado is the only one that isn't). America tends to over-size everything and packs everything with extra fat and sodium to make it taste better. But it doesn't have to be that way.

Now I know the Lakes Region is a tourist/vacation spot and almost everyone tends to go overboard with the amount of "junk" they eat while away (heck-I went to Bailey's in Wolfeboro probably 15 of the 30 days I was up there this summer-I love ice cream-it's one of my only vices left, thank God) but it would be nice to have a healthy choice for lunch/dinner. And it doesn't have to be all "earthy-crunchy" food (or tofu and rice cakes MarkInNH-wink wink). Good, healthy food can taste amazing.

I goto the Wining Butcher when I want something quick and healthy (turkey wrap on whole wheat with lettuce, tomato, cucumber, avocado, and mustard) and that's a perfectly healthy choice.

It also doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg either. Fruits, veggies, whole grains, lean cuts of meat, and healthy fats are the cornerstone of a complete diet.

Considering there are a number of farms and farm stands in the Lakes Region (many more than Boston) all the produce and fruit could be supplied by them.

Just a thought.

Another side note to MarkInNH...a burrito can be a totally healthy meal. Chicken, veggies, brown rice, guacamole (that's a good fat) is perfect. Just skip the sour cream and cheese (do you really ever taste the cheese anyway? Think about it...do you?) and get it on a whole wheat wrap. Even the beans are good for you-a little high in sodium but very high in protein and fiber.

A place like East of Suez seems to do pretty well and most of their items are on the healthier side. Same goes for Lemon Grass. That being said, it doesn't have to be a restaurant that serves only Asian food.

A sandwich/soup/salad place could do very well in Meredith. And I know that sounds a lot like a deli, but like I said in my previous post, make it more like an upscale cafe, offer free Wifi, and have organic food (organic does NOT mean tasteless-all it means is that it's not covered in pesticides, stuffed full of hormones, or filled with additives).

Okay...I'm done. I'm getting off my soapbox now.

Sorry for such a long post, but this is something I'm very passionate about and it's a MAJOR concern for the well-being of this country.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:08 PM   #56
kauriel

I'm personally not a fan, but the Chipotle here in Woburn MA is always packed. They offer gourmet burritos made with sustainable products. My husband really likes their food so we make a point to order online to avoid the long lines. They are a bit pricy, but they seem to be thriving.

One thing to note is that I rarely see families, couples, etc. in Chipotle and other similar venues. Be careful about just offering burgers or burritos because you may exclude families if one person does not want that item. It may be cost effective to keep things simple, but think about how successful cheesecake factory is with their huge menu. As a picky eater, I prefer places that have a decent variety.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:24 PM   #57
AllAbourdon

Default Burritos

I could live on them. I would be just fine in Mexico.

Living in the Seacoast area we have a few options down here that always seem busy. The food is very fresh and they have healthy options for people if you are so inclined.

Dos Amigos Burritos http://www.dosamigosburritos.com/
Loco Coco's http://www.locococos.com/
Las Olas http://www.lasolastaqueria.com/

We also have some of the more "sit down" style places with table service such as Margarita's and Ixtapa.
AllAbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 04:01 PM   #58
trfour

Post I Love Good Burritos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAbourdon View Post
I could live on them. I would be just fine in Mexico.

And most all good fresh Mexican food, however you could not entice me to be in any part of Mexico these days!

Read why; http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39863570...news-americas/

Be careful what you wish for, and stay safe!

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:11 AM   #59
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

I think the Wining Butcher is a great name. Wine and a Butcher shop.

Maybe they should just call it the old grapes and meat market?

Anyway. I like the setup the Full Beli Deli has in Wolfeboro. But their prices are a bit on the steep side. Over $8.00 for a turkey sandwich? too much. Plus you have to wait a long time if you just walk in. Definitely a call ahead place. However, when they do have the thanksgiving turkey diner sandwich...I am there. Turkey, stuffing, gravy, and cranberry sauce in a sandwich. Awesome. I think a REAL deli sandwich shop would do well. Real sandwiches. Not greasy steak and cheese, or plain ol' chicken cutlet subs. Something with at least a bit of nutrition in it.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:26 AM   #60
fatlazyless

'1st Floor Commercial Space - For Rent' is what the sign says out front of the Dr Clough house, formerly a florist, at the waterfront intersection of Pleasant St and Route 25, in Meredith.

So, what's here to do, Buddy? Go find a new tenant, or go start up a new (hopefully Mexican) food biz in addition to the Laconia Dairy Queen......decisions....decisions....decisions.... just do it.......Go Mexican!