Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Diving Winnipesaukee
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2012, 03:37 PM   #1
oldflounder

Default Center Harbor Town Docks

I tried Wolfeboro Town Docks today but the shore was too iced up. I should have brought a ladder for the end of the dock! Any law against this? Maybe next weekend.

So anyway, I drove around the Lake looking for other public boat launch/dock shore entries that have dock circulators in operation. There is a beauty of a spot at the Center Harbor Town Docks but all the dock posts are marked up with "No Diving." Does this mean no diving head first into the water when swimming in the summer or does it mean no scuba diving under the docks?

I'll probably give it a go again next weekend sometime if anyone else is interested in just playing in the water and testing out gear before ice diving begins in earnest.
oldflounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:53 PM   #2
Pineedles

Hello oldflounder, the sign is aimed at olds salts like me or youngsters wishing to make some money to not dive into the lake when the Mount is docked. We used to dive off the piers into the water to collect coins from passengers when the Mount docked. Centre Harbor docks would be an interesting dive.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pineedles For This Useful Post:
oldflounder (01-22-2012)
Old 01-22-2012, 08:03 PM   #3
oldflounder

I wouldn't call what I want to do diving.

It's more like playing in the water, though I think there might be a touch of treasure hunting under the docks to keep it interesting. I think I'll try it there next weekend and see if the police stop me.

Does anyone have any input about any dangers in being near those circulators? I have no interest in getting cozy with one. Just wondering what the proper etiquette is so that I don't get the owners upset enough to make up rules against us.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:25 PM   #4
trfour

Exclamation Stay Safe!

We would not want to read about you completing an leaking, or other ungrounded under water electrical circuit. And, stay away from the rotating circulation props as well!

Good luck.

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:04 PM   #5
oldflounder

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by trfour View Post
We would not want to read about you completing an leaking, or other ungrounded under water electrical circuit. And, stay away from the rotating circulation props as well!

Good luck.

Terry

Is it possible for a diver to get a shock underwater??? Has anyone ever been killed underwater by electricity? Don't circuit breakers and GFI's prevent this from happening if a break occurs in the line? If a line was open underwater for some reason and the water was "electrified" you wouldn't be able to enter the water anyway. That's an interesting question I'd never thought about.

The little plastic props on the well pump size dock circulators probably wouldn't do much to you, but there are some pretty heavy duty props like at the Wolfeboro Mt. Washington tie up that would probably cut you up!

Last edited by oldflounder; 01-24-2012 at 12:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2012, 12:54 PM   #6
Belmont Resident

Default Do not think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldflounder View Post
Me too, I would not like to be in the news either.

Is it possible for a diver to get a shock underwater??? Has anyone ever been killed underwater by electricity? Don't circuit breakers and GFI's prevent this from happening if a break occurs in the line? If a line was open underwater for some reason and the water was "electrified" you wouldn't be able to enter the water anyway. That's an interesting question I'd never thought about.

The little plastic props on the well pump size dock circulators probably wouldn't do much to you, but there are some pretty heavy duty props like at the Wolfeboro Mt. Washington tie up that would probably cut you up!
From my experiances in the electronics industry, current takes the path of least resistance to ground. I believe water offers less resistance then that of the human body. But I'm not positive.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:25 PM   #7
oldflounder

Default Sunday looks like the day

As of right now it looks like tomorrow 1/29/12 I'll be going to the docks. I hope to be there 10:30 - 11ish. I am going to be trying out undergarments to see how long I can last and trying to force my regs to free flow. I'll just be playing in the water in and around the docks. NO GOING UNDER THE ICE! If anyone would like to join me to test gear, etc. I'd welcome the company. I hope to get ice qualified this winter and want to get somewhat acclimated to the conditions, weighting, etc. before the classes.

If anyone wants to meet up with me, respond so that I don't leave you hanging with a no-show. My daughter-in-law is 4 days past due so, if we get the call, we'll be going to visit them tomorrow.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:32 PM   #8
jrc

electric shock would be my worry, swimmers get killed from stray currents in marinas all the time. most circulators have jury rigged wiring, check it out thoroughly, before you go in.

the stories i read say fresh water is more dangerous than salt. the human body is a better conductor than fresh water so the current goes through you instead of the water. salt water is more conductive than a human, so the risk is lower.

be safe!
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:02 PM   #9
oldflounder

I went to the town docks today and had a really good "dive." But I don't know if I really want to log it in the book as a dive. I never got over 12' deep. That's where the ice line was. I spent a little over 1/2 hour in the water testing out a different combination of undergarments [than I usually wear] trying to see how long it would take to get uncomfortably cold. I never did, so I think I have the right clothing for ice dive class whenever it gets offered. I found my first lake "treasure" - a functioning rod/reel that someone threw off the end of the docks not that long ago. The line was all twisted around the crank so I think someone got frustrated with it and chucked it. The air was 31* and the water at 12' was 33. This is a neat spot to practice winter diving - I'm surprised the locals don't take advantage of the open water and easy access for training or staying in condition. Oh well - back to the ocean next week unless the conditions are as bad as they have been the past couple weekends.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:20 AM   #10
oldflounder

Default you're right

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
electric shock would be my worry, swimmers get killed from stray currents in marinas all the time. most circulators have jury rigged wiring, check it out thoroughly, before you go in.

the stories i read say fresh water is more dangerous than salt. the human body is a better conductor than fresh water so the current goes through you instead of the water. salt water is more conductive than a human, so the risk is lower.

be safe!
I did a little research and found out that this can definately be a hazard. Land-based electrical appliances are covered by building codes that say the circuits must have GFIC: but not so for boats. So if you have your yacht tied up to the marina and you are plugged into their power outlets you can have a dangerous electric field around your craft. There have been several deaths when a swimmer has grabbed ahold of the ladder to get up onto the boat.

See this site http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ At the top of the newpaper page do a Huffington Post search under "esd' and read the article by Terry Gardner.

This is interesting to divers, swimmers and boaters though many of you probably already know about it.

Last edited by oldflounder; 01-30-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:57 AM   #11
oldflounder

Default 2012 2nd Annual Ice Dive

We are scheduled to have an ice dive demonstration/dive at Meredith Bay during the weekend of the fish derby in February. That's only 2 weeks away. I drove by there last Sunday and there was not one shack away from shore. The weather does not look too promising for deep ice between now and then. We are supposed to be in the 30's and 40*'s just about every day until mid-month. The nights will keep icing it up but I don't know if it'll support the crowd. Last year we did it and had 18" ice if I remember right.

What I am proposing is - if we can't get together for the 2nd annual ice dive because of poor conditions at Meredith - let's go to the Centre Harbor docks and do it there. The line tenders can stand on the docks and feed out the lines to at least 3 teams of divers. The ice line is not very far from the end of the docks. Another team can go in off the ramp. It is easy access and exit and will not require any holes to be cut.

Is anyone interested in thinking about this as a Plan B???

Last edited by oldflounder; 02-03-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:02 PM   #12
oldflounder

Default Sunday's the day

It looks like we'll be going down to Mass. to see the new grandson on Saturday so Sunday's my day to go diving. I was hoping to go to Nubble but the wind being out of the N doesn't look too inviting. It makes for terrible viz. So there is a very good chance I may go to Centre Harbor or the Wolfeboro docks again. According to the web cam, the W. docks area looks to be ice-free. Anyone interested in hooking up mid-day Sunday somewhere to practice ice diving skills or just to play in the water???
Old 02-06-2012, 06:19 AM   #13
oldflounder

Default Docks are icing up

I had to go to Laconia to take my mother-in-law home yesterday, so I went to the Centre Harbor docks late morning. The ramp area has a skin over it so it is starting to freeze up there also. I think they have turned off the aquatherms in order to let the ramp freeze up for the ice derby next weekend so vehicles can have access to the ice there.

Oh well, there goes my shore access to practice ice diving skills. I went to Wolfeboro docks and that ramp is iced up also. I ended up going back to the ocean for a short dive. I was testing out a full face mask and an old style horsecollar bc --- big mistake. The bc has a way of pushing the mask up off your chin if you get in certain positions.

Say prayers that there will be a thick enough cover for the ice derby and our 2nd annual ice dive at Meredith.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:40 AM   #14
scubajay1153

Default Ice dive

We have canceled the ice dive scheduled for this Saturday due to the ice and weather issues. Safety first! However Aquatic Escapes is planning an ice dive in Glendale on the Lady of the Lakes. Shoot them a shout or email if you would like more info!
scubajay1153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:29 PM   #15
oldflounder

Default Plan B

Yes, I got Mike's email that the 2nd annual was cancelled. I am still thinking of going back to Ctr. Harbor on Saturday if the ramp isn't iced up, but when I think about it, I probably won't be able to find a parking spot within a half mile during the derby. I'll probably end up at Nubble again - high is early afternoon!

If anyone would like to meet up Sat. at Ctr. Harbor and try out equipment or practice skills in icy water [without going under the ice shelf] I'd be happy to discuss it and make plans.

I know about Glendale the following weekend[I was told it's the 18th.] I might show up and take pictures for posterity.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:20 PM   #16
oldflounder

Default Too many cars

I looked at the cam at 10 this morning and the p-lot was already full. I went instead to Great Island Commons, Newcastle to test out some gear and undergarments/thermal. Maybe I'll get back to Centre Harbor next weekend after photographing Aquatic Escape's ice dive at Glendale if there's enough ice.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:20 PM   #17
oldflounder

Default Lousy weekend for the ocean

It sounds like this might be another crappy weekend at the ocean. I'm thinking I'll go back to Centre Harbor before the ice is all gone and the boats start tying up at the docks again. I'll just be "treasure hunting" under the docks and playing in the shallows. If anyone would like to join in and try out some new gear or just get wet, you're welcome. Reply and we'll set up a meeting time. Otherwise I'll be there when I get there.

Last edited by oldflounder; 02-27-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:32 PM   #18
oldflounder

Default Another bad weekend for the ocean

It didn't sound like it was going to be a very pleasant day at the ocean today so so I went to Centre Harbor docks after the rain stopped. The air was 36* and the water was 36*. Ice shelf has backed off a bit since I was last there but there is some new ice forming back up again along the edge -- though it won't last long with the rains and 50* temps forecast for later next week. I wish I could say I had a nice dive but I no sooner got my full face mask on and got beneath the surface and I could feel it bubbling out air somewhere. I fiddled with it and fiddled with it and couldn't get the leak to stop so I surfaced and realized I was having a freeflow. So that ended my diving for the day. I had on a pony but I didn't want to deal with the ice water on my bare face. So I just spent 1/2 in the water without the scuba unit on, pretending I was an ice breaker barging my way into the thin ice shelf breaking off ice in as far as I could get [simple amusements for simple minds.] I wanted to see how long it would take to get chilled. I never did get cold but I was getting bored so I got out and went home.

Maybe I'll try here again next week if the ocean keeps acting up. Maybe not.

Last edited by oldflounder; 03-03-2012 at 08:37 PM. Reason: 1
Old 03-09-2012, 09:59 AM   #19
oldflounder

Default Centre Harbor 3/11/12 noon

I'm hoping to get over to the town docks late morning Sunday if anyone would like to join in and play in the water.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:15 PM   #20
oldflounder

Default Anyone diving this weekend on Winnie?

I am planning on going to Centre Harbor docks tomorrow about noon before the boat traffic starts up again and do some treasure hunting. Plan B might be Clark's Point. Plan C is Fort Stark, Newcastle. With the N wind at Nubble I'll be avoiding that site. Is anyone else going into The Lake tomorrow???
Old 03-23-2012, 03:36 PM   #21
Norseman

Clark's Point but I am not sure on a time yet. The tide should be good all day
Norseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:09 PM   #22
oldflounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
The tide should be good all day
Don't laugh! When I did my OW tests a few year's back we were scheduled to do them in the ocean but got blown out so we did them at Clark's Point.
I swear the "seas" at Clark's were 1 1/2' with a good 6" surf crashing on the shore.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:12 PM   #23
Norseman

Oh, I've been beaten up a little there in the past. I have taken lots of students there. If it's bad at the ocean it can certainly be a little sporty if it's blowing onshore at Clark's.
Norseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:20 PM   #24
oldflounder

Default Ice is all gone

What a difference 2 wks makes! The ice is gone as far as the eye can see at Centre Harbor. I got in for a good part of an hour. Air mid 60's, surface water 42, viz not that great once I got in and stirred up a bunch of silt - or maybe it's lake inversion time. Spent most of the time either floating on my back on the surface playing Michelin Man [pretending it was bright and sunny and I was bathed in sunshine ---- I wasn't] or down under practicing with the full face mask. I have learned that I can leave the ambient air valve cap off and breath on the surface and underneath right away so that I can hopefully avoid the freeflow that I experienced last time there.

I picked up a cold at work the end of this past week and I was unable to pop my left ear today so I couldn't get below 15'. What sucked was that I dropped my spare mask below 15' of water at the red buoy marker and had to ignore the pain and chase it down to the bottom several more feet---praying I wouldn't pop an eardrum.

Not a dive to brag about but I wanted to get one more in before it gets clogged with boat traffic and you can't find a parking space nearby for the vehicle.

A couple boats were already running up and down the water there. It must be nice to be able to get in so early. Last time I was there they were running back and forth with skidoos.

Oh well - I guess it's back to the ocean and I'll start another Center Harbor thread next winter.

Come out to Nubble this summer and I'll spot out the good areas for you or join me at Fort Stark.