Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-22-2015, 06:53 PM   #1
bigdog

Default Winter in Florida

I've been planning to winter in Florida this coming winter, and have been searching for a winter rental. I've actually been looking for months. Thinking of maybe spend 2-3 winter months in FL

So far my search has been in vain. I've scoured Craigslist, several major Real Estate sites, and even VRBO, but without success !

Any suggestions for my search?

Thanks !
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:09 PM   #2
Acrossamerica

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
I've been planning to winter in Florida this coming winter, and have been searching for a winter rental. I've actually been looking for months. Thinking of maybe spend 2-3 winter months in FL

So far my search has been in vain. I've scoured Craigslist, several major Real Estate sites, and even VRBO, but without success !

Thanks !
Check out airbnb.com, they have both daily and long term rentals for the entire world.
Acrossamerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 09:00 PM   #3
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts

www.Homeaway.com
Realtor.com may have listings
Pick a few condos in the area where you want to be. Many have rental programs and contact info on their web sites.
Ask your kids, grandchildren, to to do a search. Always works for me.
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
Redwing (09-22-2015)
Old 09-23-2015, 11:35 AM   #4
Resident 2B

We tried the rental path for a year and then decided to purchase. Owned three homes for a year (ouch), but now are down to two.

For 2 -3 month rentals during the peak season, Jan - March, near the east or gulf coast, you really have to get on it in April or May. Not many of the good places last past Memorial Day. By now, there is not really anything left. I would try a local realtor in the area you are interested in. Most expensive route, but it may be your only option.

Good luck!

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 02:14 PM   #5
Smokienorm

Default Florida Winter Vacation Rentals- sell out fast

We have used the following agency for the past 3 years for renting a condo on Longboat Key:

RVA Resorts Vacation
(877) 415-4570
www.rvafl.com

You will need to act quickly since the Florida vacation rentals, particularly on the SW coast, tend to sell out quickly. Lot of people from this area go to Bonita Springs, but we prefer Longboat Key, off Sarasota. Others we know from this area rent in Venice, Siesta Key, etc.

Good luck.
Smokienorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2015, 02:21 PM   #6
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Florida is a pretty large state

Quote:

Thanks !
Florida is a pretty large state. Perhaps you can get more help if you narrow down where you would like to stay. East Coast, West Coast. Away from the ocean. Give folks some idea where, and you may get so more ideas from folks. Good luck.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:25 PM   #7
Acrossamerica

If you do not require true summer for your winter months you might consider the St Augustine area. Winter temps are in the high 50's to 60's. The locals consider it a summer resort for the Atlanta crowd so winter rentals are actually pretty low and they have wonderful beaches.
Acrossamerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 05:05 AM   #8
ApS

Wink 'Been Waiting for This Thread...

Consider buying a lakefront property far from either coast—west and south of Disney World.

​​​•​ Central Florida is subject to a rare "ice-event" overnight, and daytime temps in the 40s and 50s can happen: but the "swing-months" of October, November, March and April, can be downright balmy. To get a rough idea of the difference, add an average of 20​º above New England's temperatures.

​​​•​ Florida lake properties are promising as investments, IMHO; for example, a neighbor has built a stone-walled castle, complete with a huge round turret!

(No moat or drawbridge as yet).

Because of mandated updates necessary since the original purchase, a realtor said my ¼-acre lakefront real estate would only raise $30K in today's market: But what a great spot for peaceful enjoyment of abundant wildlife surrounded by a clear rainwater-filled lake! Weekenders—most hail from Florida's west coast—are only a blip in the quietude.

It's not for sale!

​​​•​ Have an entire lake to yourself to set up a slalom course!

​​​•​ Catch two Bass with one cast!

Here's a 49-second scan of the lake on a typical April weekday:

Old 09-25-2015, 05:55 AM   #9
dpg

Although I've never "wintered" in Florida I'd bet there's plenty of rentals down there. You must be running into issues with either a very specific location, cost, or something along those lines???
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:12 AM   #10
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Aren't they still giving away houses in Florida?!

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 01:53 PM   #11
noreast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post

Sure, in central Florida, but if you have teeth past the age of 27 you won't want to be there. My father tried to retire down there, He lasted about a year and a half. I love the coast down there but that's it for me.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 07:08 PM   #12
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts
Default What a difference location makes!

I winter in southwest Florida and couldn't be happier. Everyone makes the "old people" comment when you mention Florida and that depends where you are.

I am on a cul-de-sac with 5 homes and the other four homes have kids ranging from 3 to 16. I am the "old guy" in the neighborhood. In many ways I find life in Florida the same as NH except it is sunny and warm almost every day. In NH we remark about the sunny 80 degree days and exclaim how great the day is. Wintering in Florida I find that 6 out of 7 days every week are like that.

After spending much of my life detesting winter I realized I was wishing half of my life away and bought the Florida house. I wouldn't trade summers on Winnipesaukee for anything but when it turns cloudy and gray I can't wait to go south.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Marauder (09-25-2015), SAMIAM (09-26-2015)
Old 09-27-2015, 06:54 AM   #13
kchadw

Default wintering in Fl....for bigdog

Contact Cheri Walters at 239 463 3400 at Century 21/Tri Power Realty in Ft. Myers Beach, Fl...she handles a lot of what your looking for in that area...mention Ken from Melbourne...
kchadw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 10:01 AM   #14
Winnisquamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
Consider buying a lakefront property far from either coast—west and south of Disney World.

​​​•​ Central Florida is subject to a rare "ice-event" overnight, and daytime temps in the 40s and 50s can happen: but the "swing-months" of October, November, March and April, can be downright balmy. To get a rough idea of the difference, add an average of 20​º above New England's temperatures.

​​​•​ Florida lake properties are promising as investments, IMHO; for example, a neighbor has built a stone-walled castle, complete with a huge round turret!

(No moat or drawbridge as yet).

Because of mandated updates necessary since the original purchase, a realtor said my ¼-acre lakefront real estate would only raise $30K in today's market: But what a great spot for peaceful enjoyment of abundant wildlife surrounded by a clear rainwater-filled lake! Weekenders—most hail from Florida's west coast—are only a blip in the quietude.

It's not for sale!

​​​•​ Have an entire lake to yourself to set up a slalom course!

​​​•​ Catch two Bass with one cast!

Here's a 49-second scan of the lake on a typical April weekday:

Watch out for them gators!
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 11:14 AM   #15
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamer View Post
And snakes.

And red necks.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 08:37 PM   #16
8gv

While in FL don't forget to visit Sonny's BBQ!
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 06:49 AM   #17
Happy Gourmand

I'm headed down this Friday to scope out 2 places me wife found 2 weeks ago. 55+ community...I hope there aren't too many OLD people there!
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 06:54 AM   #18
dpg

Sure central Florida is cheap because nobody wants to live there. 100 and humid every day for 4 straight months in the summer, bugs, gators, snakes and everything you can imagine. No thank you...
Old 09-28-2015, 07:32 AM   #19
8gv

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Sure central Florida is cheap because nobody wants to live there. 100 and humid every day for 4 straight months in the summer, bugs, gators, snakes and everything you can imagine. No thank you...
This has not been my experience.

My time in FL has been spent in community called Tierra Verde which is a group of islands on the extreme southern tip of the St Pete / Clearwater peninsula.

Humid? Yes, it is surrounded by water on three sides.

100*? I've yet to experience that. Typically the highs are 86-92 and the lows 76-78 during the summer. Yes, that is rather warm but boating and a/c seem to make it ok for me. Several times each summer it is hotter at my CT home than it is on Tierra Verde.

Being on the edge of the salt water environment we have zero gators and see only the occasional harmless snake.

We haven't had any mosquito or "no see em" bites but there are Palmetto bugs. The Palmetto bug looks like (and probably IS) a big roach. They live outside but desire to come in. Good weatherstripping helps keep them out.

Oh yeah, boating all year!

I don't expect to live there full time but it fits well as a compliment to the beauty of the lakes region.
The Following User Says Thank You to 8gv For This Useful Post:
Billy Bob (09-29-2015)
Old 09-28-2015, 07:52 AM   #20
ApS

Default Central Florida: The Midwest

Quote:
Yes, it is said that every Florida lake has gators. I don't question it; however, Florida's lakes don't have duck itch, saltwater crocodiles or sharks!

Or SW Florida's coastlines with strong, cold, breezes, which sometimes keeps down the sand fleas and their bites.

(We're talking waterfront, here. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Central Florida is the headquarters for America's veterans.

Disney World assures visits by grandchildren.

Besides, it's winter weather that concerned the OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
And snakes. And red necks.
Every waterfront community has snakes, including New Hampshire's Lakes Region—and it's just as well.

There's no shortage of temporary help. Besides, red necks practice "economy art":

Old 09-28-2015, 12:13 PM   #21
Winnisquamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post

My time in FL has been spent in community called Tierra Verde which is a group of islands on the extreme southern tip of the St Pete / Clearwater peninsula.

100*? I've yet to experience that. Typically the highs are 86-92 and the lows 76-78 during the summer. Yes, that is rather warm but boating and a/c seem to make it ok for me. Several times each summer it is hotter at my CT home than it is on Tierra Verde.

Being on the edge of the salt water environment we have zero gators and see only the occasional harmless snake.

We haven't had any mosquito or "no see em" bites but there are Palmetto bugs. The Palmetto bug looks like (and probably IS) a big roach. They live outside but desire to come in. Good weatherstripping helps keep them out.

I don't expect to live there full time but it fits well as a compliment to the beauty of the lakes region.

DPG was commenting on central Florida being miserable.. Not the most southern part of Florida. I think the two are very different from my experience and I would agree I wouldn't last 10 days in central Florida.
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 02:15 PM   #22
Paugus Bay Resident

Quote:
DPG was commenting on central Florida being miserable.. Not the most southern part of Florida. I think the two are very different from my experience and I would agree I wouldn't last 10 days in central Florida.
Actually, the area 8gv is referring to is "west" central FL, not south at all.
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 05:07 PM   #23
barefootbay

Quote:
While in FL don't forget to visit Sonny's BBQ!
Woody's. Barbecue !
barefootbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:40 PM   #24
AB_Monterey

We head down in mid-January, just in time for Red Sox Fantasy Camp.

We're back in NH by the last day of March.

We're in Englewood, SWFL.

I can't stand much more than that. The drivers are the worst anywhere.

It's not the heat, it's the stupidity.
AB_Monterey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 05:45 AM   #25
TiltonBB

Default I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB_Monterey View Post

The Florida drivers are mostly very poor. Tailgating is a huge problem in Florida. A Lee County Sherriff told me over 90% of the collisions in Florida are rear-end collisions. If you see a driver do something courteous in Florida, chances are they will have out of state plates.

In an effort to avoid saying something that is not politically correct: Keep your uninsured motorist coverage up while driving in Florida. Many of the poor drivers do not have licenses or insurance. Feel free to read between the lines here!

On another note: The Florida Department of Motor Vehicles says that if you work in Florida and stay more than 30 days you are required to change your license and vehicle registration to Florida. If you don't, you are driving without a license and driving an unregisterd vehicle. There used to be an exemption but it is no longer in place. So if you get stopped, the correct answer is: Yes officer, I just got here last week!
Old 09-29-2015, 06:02 AM   #26
dpg

Quote:

"Central" Florida.....Surrounded by water isn't "central..." Go WAY inland you'll see what I mean.
Old 09-29-2015, 11:04 AM   #27
Greene's Basin Girl

My son lives in Ft. Lauderdale thus I spend a great deal visiting him. I do not have any big problems with the drivers. Traveling in the area is not very stressful.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 12:13 PM   #28
Marauder

Default Englewood

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB_Monterey View Post

We head to Englewood the end of October and come back the first of April!!
Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:27 PM   #29
Billy Bob

Quote:

I live on the same island , it!s fantastic , going fishing tomorrow ! Regarding winter, it doesn't sound like fun so we don't have one just a cool summer from October to April.
I own a few franchise real estate offices and understand the market here well. The improvements in the economy coupled with the bad weather in the north have made vacation/seasonal rentals very hard to find . The good stuff for the coming season has been gone since spring . For the best weather you also don't want to be much north of here on the west coast and south of West palm on the east coast . Please be careful renting on Craig's list , lots of folks looking to steal your down payment . Good luck with the search , perhaps we will see you here in the islands !
C
Billy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:39 PM   #30
bigdog

Been literally looking for a FLA rental for months.

Scourded Craigslist, contacted friends & family members who rent down therer, and even contacted several Real Estate agencies with a few leads but nothing concrete. R.E agencies have told me you really need to begin looking a year in advance !

Anyway I started searching mobile home park associations, and made a contact. The Assoc. management company of the park, put me in touch with an owner who has a rental. Making reservation plans now, location near Clearwater beach.

Plan to drive car down, but also looking at car transporters, to pickup and deliver car in FLA. I've also heard you can put your car on the train, which goes to several locations in FLA.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:49 PM   #31
Billy Bob

The car train runs from Virginia just outside of DC to Sanford which is close to Orlando , it's Amtrack and rather big bucks and you still have to drive the worst part to DC . I have shipped cars ( and boats ) and that's cost effective , should be about $600 bucks . You will find a bunch of brokers on line that represent trucker . Clearwater is a great spot and a lot of the mob home parks are active in winter . Sounds like a great winter , go snowless !
Billy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 09:03 PM   #32
bigdog

Thanks Billy Bob about the info on the train, much apprecaited !

I contacted truck broker carriers last year for pricing and got a quote of about
$800 from NH to Tampa/Orlando area.

So all things considered and the cost, 'trucking' the car may be my best option. Definitely would save the drive to D.C. for the train option, then I'd still have to take a plane from there to Tampa. That's got to be another $200
Checking car brokers for pricing again.

I've only driven to FLA once, and that was Mass to Ft Lauderdale, a really longgggggggggg ride ! Swore I'd never do it again.

Anyone know how long it would take to drive from MA to Tampa ?
I figure I could do it in 2 days, with maybe one overnight stop ?
I think I could get to the N Carolina border the first day.

Thoughts?
Old 09-29-2015, 09:28 PM   #33
Newbiesaukee

You could do it with one stop but it is two long driving days.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 09:50 PM   #34
bigdog

Just checked Amtrak Auto train pricing. Wash DC to Sanford FLA

Senior Coach ticket $168
Car cost $244
Total = $412

Trains leave daily at 4:00pm, arrive in FLA 9:00am next day.

Not bad !
Old 09-29-2015, 10:09 PM   #35
8gv

With quite a few trips from CT to FL under my belt I can say with certainty that the ride down to DC contains about 95% of the white knuckle driving.

South of Richmond the going gets quite easy.

As far as the whole drive goes...

It's about 11 hours from Laconia to Ashland VA and another 15 to Tierra Verde.

For some that is two days. Others will need three. There is no future in falling asleep at the wheel.
The Following User Says Thank You to 8gv For This Useful Post:
Resident 2B (09-29-2015)
Old 09-29-2015, 10:17 PM   #36
upthesaukee

Default Good deal.

Quote:
Just checked Amtrak Auto train pricing. Wash DC to Sanford FLA

Senior Coach ticket $168
Car cost $244
Total = $412

Trains leave daily at 4:00pm, arrive in FLA 9:00am next day.

Not bad !
We have friends who use the auto train annually, and love it. To each their own. We do love train travel, but are not snowbirds. Train travel is very relaxing.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:56 PM   #37
Resident 2B

Quote:
Thanks Billy Bob about the info on the train, much apprecaited !

I contacted truck broker carriers last year for pricing and got a quote of about
$800 from NH to Tampa/Orlando area.

So all things considered and the cost, 'trucking' the car may be my best option. Definitely would save the drive to D.C. for the train option, then I'd still have to take a plane from there to Tampa. That's got to be another $200
Checking car brokers for pricing again.

I've only driven to FLA once, and that was Mass to Ft Lauderdale, a really longgggggggggg ride ! Swore I'd never do it again.

Anyone know how long it would take to drive from MA to Tampa ?
I figure I could do it in 2 days, with maybe one overnight stop ?
I think I could get to the N Carolina border the first day.

Thoughts?
I drive from the North Shore to Bradenton, and hour south of Tampa, with our dog. We do it in two days.

I would rather do it in three days, but a second night in a motel with the dog is not something that is appealing to me. For us, it is 1,400 miles and takes 23 or 24 hours. Biggest challenges are DC and NYC. After that, it is a nice ride. Tolls disappear after DC until I get to the Skyway Bridge south of Tampa.

R2B
Old 09-30-2015, 04:17 AM   #38
thinkxingu

A professor of mine once mentioned spending winters in North Carolina--how far south does one have to go to have nice winter weather?

Old 09-30-2015, 05:33 AM   #39
TiltonBB

Default No White Knuckles

I have driven back and forth from southwest Florida several times. There are two of us and we go straight through, stopping only for gas and to pick up a snack while the fuel is going in. It generally takes about 22 hours.

When going south we leave at about 8 PM so that we go through the traffic areas (NYC, DC) during the night. It is easy and much better than dealing with traffic. When going north we leave about 9 AM for the same reason.

Two drivers and a comfortable car with seats that recline make the trip acceptable.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:26 AM   #40
8gv

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
I have driven back and forth from southwest Florida several times. There are two of us and we go straight through, stopping only for gas and to pick up a snack while the fuel is going in. It generally takes about 22 hours.

When going south we leave at about 8 PM so that we go through the traffic areas (NYC, DC) during the night. It is easy and much better than dealing with traffic. When going north we leave about 9 AM for the same reason.

Two drivers and a comfortable car with seats that recline make the trip acceptable.
We did the "straight through" method a few times with two or three drivers. The trouble we had was that we entered the car with our sleep cycles synchronized. That is, we all got tired at the same time.

Getting it done in 22 hours shows the value of your departure times!
Old 09-30-2015, 07:10 AM   #41
bigdog

Forgot to mention about my situation......

I'm still working and NOT retired , although just at retirement age.
I work from home, and only require an Internet connection to do my job.
This said, I can work anywhere !

So was thinking I'd travel to D.C. on Friday and jump on the train Sat. with my car, and get into Sanford FL Sunday morning, and be ready for work bright and early Monday morning.

Wife & cat will fly into Tampa 30 min away. Can't see driving 2-3 days with the cat, besides I really don't like to drive long distances, 1 day is enough for me !
Old 10-03-2015, 09:34 AM   #42
ApS

Exclamation

Quote:
Forgot to mention about my situation......I'm still working and NOT retired , although just at retirement age. I work from home, and only require an Internet connection to do my job. This said, I can work anywhere ! So was thinking I'd travel to D.C. on Friday and jump on the train Sat. with my car, and get into Sanford FL Sunday morning, and be ready for work bright and early Monday morning.

Wife & cat will fly into Tampa 30 min away. Can't see driving 2-3 days with the cat, besides I really don't like to drive long distances, 1 day is enough for me !
A tree-cutter buddy located in the NH seacoast town of Hampton, drives straight-through with his brother and his Pit Bull dog—2000 miles to the Florida Keys in 24 hours.

Perhaps that's why he installed a 100-gallon fuel tank in his SUV.

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 01:24 PM   #43
Happy Gourmand

We drove from Nashua to Sarasota in 25 hours with stops for gas and pee only. 24 hours to the Keys sounds like a bit of a stretch.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:35 PM   #44
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Gourmand View Post
We drove from Nashua to Sarasota in 25 hours with stops for gas and pee only. 24 hours to the Keys sounds like a bit of a stretch.
Not stopping at all, to go 2,000 miles in 24 hours would be 83.3 MPH. Methinks he was rounding.

Old 10-05-2015, 02:21 PM   #45
ishoot308

Thanked 4,939 Times in 1,915 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
A tree-cutter buddy located in the NH seacoast town of Hampton, drives straight-through with his brother and his Pit Bull dog—2000 miles to the Florida Keys in 24 hours.

Perhaps that's why he installed a 100-gallon fuel tank in his SUV.

Sounds like a "scofflaw" to me!!!
Old 10-05-2015, 03:56 PM   #46
upthesaukee

Default Actually....

Actually, google maps says Hampton to Key West is 1692 miles and will take 26 hrs with traffic, 25 without.
ApS (10-05-2015)
Old 10-05-2015, 06:31 PM   #47
Resident 2B

I drive from the North Shore to Bradenton, FL. That is a 23 to 24 hour drive at 65 to 70 MPH, speed limit plus a bit with reasonable traffic. It is a 1400 mile trip. Key West is 1,700 miles and you cannot do it at any reasonable speed in 24 hours in traffic.

There are parts of the Keys that are closer than Key West, so it is clearly not a 2,000 mile drive and I doubt anyone can get to any part of the Keys in 23 or 24 hours from Hampton, NH. without a complete disregard for the safety of themselves and others.

There are two misrepresentations here. No real surprise.

R2B
Old 10-06-2015, 02:07 PM   #48
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Not stopping at all, to go 2,000 miles in 24 hours would be 83.3 MPH. Methinks he was rounding.

Nashua to Sarasota is 1400 miles.Thats less than 60 mph average.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:15 PM   #49
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
I was referring to the previous post, and suggesting that the... questionable numbers were probably just shot from the hip.

Old 10-06-2015, 02:40 PM   #50
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
60MPH average is pretty good considering fuel stops, traffic, construction etc.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:46 PM   #51
noreast

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Actually, google maps says Hampton to Key West is 1692 miles and will take 26 hrs with traffic, 25 without.
26 with traffic, 25 without?????????? Rain adds 2 hours from NH line to Boston.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:55 PM   #52
Lakeboater

Smile $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greene's Basin Girl View Post
My son lives in Ft. Lauderdale thus I spend a great deal visiting him. I do not have any big problems with the drivers. Traveling in the area is not very stressful.
We know just what you mean! We spend a great deal when are sons visit.
Lakeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:05 PM   #53
upthesaukee

Default My post was a quote from Google maps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreast View Post
26 with traffic, 25 without?????????? Rain adds 2 hours from NH line to Boston.

Don't shoot the messenger. I was just quoting the narrative to the google map.
noreast (10-07-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 04:24 AM   #54
Reilly

Default Time

1 Day 2 Days 3 Days who cares as long as you arrive safe & enjoy the winter
Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reilly For This Useful Post:
Spider Girl (10-09-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 10:41 AM   #55
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
1 Day 2 Days 3 Days who cares as long as you arrive safe & enjoy the winter
PFFFFT...i make it is a little over 3 hours...at about 500MPH!!
Old 10-07-2015, 01:55 PM   #56
SIKSUKR

Quote:
I was referring to the previous post, and suggesting that the... questionable numbers were probably just shot from the hip.

I see that now. I also see that Hampton to Key West is 1700 miles. That would still work out to 70 mph average. Pretty unlikely unless it was nonstop.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:48 AM   #57
dpg

Quote:
Exactly!!!
Old 10-09-2015, 06:27 AM   #58
ApS

Cool Time, Costs, Value, Florida...

Quote:
I see that now. I also see that Hampton to Key West is 1700 miles. That would still work out to 70 mph average. Pretty unlikely unless it was nonstop.
I called yesterday, and got confirmations from family members who run the business (in two shifts).

Quote:
1) AM shift: That certainly sounds like him.
Quote:
2) PM shift: I've never made the trip with him, but I'm told, "He doesn't stop for 'passengers in need' of a stop."
I don't know what to add: When this tree-cutter arrives at daybreak, he unpacks a few bags, then goes out to trim trees! He's "The Energizer Bunny" everywhere he goes—even behind the wheel.

Quote:

We're talking Winter and not so much, Summer. Summers are for Lake Winnipesaukee.

I'd earlier suggested Central Florida lakes, as most of us enjoy lakes in general. Why not year-round fun in the sun, when lakefront house-costs are so reasonable—inland? November ends hurricane season, but hurricanes are more intense at coasts. At a Florida lake, you're guaranteed your very own Florida beach, and much more freedom to control your waterfront's appearance.

Large reptiles are in every Florida lake (and most South Florida seacoasts), but attacks are very rare. Even Gomek tolerated humans wandering into his St. Augustine enclosure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Sounds like a "scofflaw" to me!!!
There's equivalence with "scofflaw" and "bad driver"?

Old 10-09-2015, 07:22 AM   #59
upthesaukee

Default Yeah, but...

Quote:
Yeah, but have you seen the oversized baggage charge for a 2012 Mustang convertible?
Old 10-14-2015, 04:31 AM   #60
ApS

Question Blood Pressure a Factor?

Quote:
True enough...The miles I used was a guess, as I use "hours", not miles.

I'd received this message from the source October 10th—and this is his account:
Quote:
"...26 hours actually is my best time, average is 28. I have a 2007 Chevy 2500 HD, yes it is diesel. I had a guy remap the computer and I now get 22 miles to the gallon. I have a 100 GL tank in the back that gravity feeds into the regular tank. I bought it from northern tool & equipment..."
Tired of Interstate back-ups near cities, stopped traffic near beaches, and the "white-knuckle-ride" of BosNYWash I-95, I take the longer, bucolic, and more scenic "inland route", via I-77.

Old 11-05-2015, 03:14 AM   #61
ApS

Thumbs up When an Air Conditioner Isn't Needed...

Quote:
I think they are.

Below is a photo of a wrinkled and rain-soaked sales brochure of a lakefront house sold not far from me in central Florida. This nice and light-filled house sold after being on the market for 6 months @ 135,000, and eventually sold for less than $107,000. The new owners share a sturdy dock just 20-feet from their back door.

I especially liked the house for its workshop, long porch overlooking the lake, cathedral ceilings, metal roof, a modern kitchen which overlooks the lake from a window installed in a corner (!)—and its striking antique mahogany bedroom doors, which are ten feet tall.

The empty lot next door is about the same size and is also for sale presently: bring $40,000 and a building contractor.

Towards dusk, go putt-putting around a big lake:

Old 11-07-2015, 02:03 PM   #62
Macer

Have you looked at http://floridasnowbird.com
Macer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 11:32 AM   #63
Mr. V

Out here in the Pacific Northwest, "snowbirds" summer in the southwestern desert, usually Arizona, and many retire there.

No high humidity, but hotter than Florida, typically.

Substitute scorpions and rattlesnakes for alligators and cottonmouths.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote