Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2005, 06:58 AM   #1
sun seeker

Default Piping Rock and Wolfeboro

Hi
I have searched your forum for information on this cottage colony, but can not find anything.
I stayed here about 30 years ago, every summer for two weeks. These are some of the best memories from childhood.
Has anyone stayed here recently? Is the place rundown?
Is Wolfeboro the same small town with the ice cream place (Bailey's in the old days)? I remember the Yum Yum shop and Black's gift shop. The Hansel and Gretel shop. The restaurant, the Bittersweet. The tiny movie theater.
It was such an uncommercial town. I wouldn't mind an update on this area.
Thanks
sun seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 08:30 AM   #2
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

Their link is in Lake Links:

http://www.pipingrockresort.com
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 08:51 AM   #3
ghfromaltonbay

Default Update on Piping Rock

We stayed there about 3 years ago in the winter time and it was still a very nice place. We often drive by either by car or boat and it looks pretty much the same. A former co-worker stayed there for years and always raved about the place. I would say it is still very nice.

Wolfeboro still has the YumYum Shoppe and Black's. The Bittersweet is now Grill 28 and the movie theater (Hatch) is gone. Bailey's dockside has changed hands several times, but the new managers did a great job last year and are back from what I've heard. The town is still one of my favorite spots on the lake. After 47 years of summering here, I wouldn't want to go anywhere else.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 09:00 AM   #4
Colt

Default Hansel & Gretel Shop

This shop isn't there any more. It was one of my wife's childhood favorites as well. I know this because she repeats the stories everytime we drive by it. But the town is still very quaint especially the docks area.
Colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 11:22 AM   #5
Frdxplorer

I am only 24 and have been coming to the lake for about 15 years, so I can’t exactly speak to 30 years ago. But just like anywhere else, you can expect some changes. I have noticed a lot of dramatic changes just in the last 8 years or so.

I would guess however, that you will still find Wolfeboro to be a charming New England town. Weekends are certainly busy and getting through town on Main Street can seem unbearable until you get back to the “real world” and realize just how good you had it on vacation.

Ghfromaltonbay did a great job of updating you on a few of the places. I have always heard good things about the Piping Rock and it’s in a convenient location. I hope you find your way back to the lake soon. Personally, I notice a few changes every year, but my love for the town and the lake remain as constant today as ever before.
Frdxplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2005, 12:59 PM   #6
sun seeker

Thank you all so much!

Colt: Did your wife mention fishing for candy at the Hansel and Gretel?

GHfromAltonBay-Thanks for the update. Do you think the summer heat would be too much to be in a cabin without A/C? I am more spoiled today than I was back then. I remember wearing sweatshirts at night. Is it still that way?
The cabins were in good shape the last time you stayed? It is rated only two stars by AAA. I am wondering if that is because of the no A/C.
I see you are from Jersey. I grew up just north of you up RT 23 North.
It is a very congested area that whole 46/3 and 23 area. We moved to VA about 8 years ago. We moved to a small town that is now growing fast. It would be a long drive to go back up to NH, but I think my kids would have fun. We would probably get all the Jersey cousins to go to.

I visited Wolfeboro about 15 years ago and Baileys was still there. We spent the night at the Baileys Motel. We were visiting friends in Boston and drove up for a couple of days. We had an elegant dinner at the Wolfeboro Inn.

Anyway, I have been thinking of returning to my favorite vacation spot of my youth. I just wanted some opinions on the place we used to stay at. We stayed here every summer for the decade of the 1970's.

Does anyone have recommendations for other good cottage colonys on the Lake? or is the Piping Rock one of the better ones? Thanks again.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:09 PM   #7
Frdxplorer

I would not be overly concerned with the lack of Air Conditioning. Our cottage is nicely shaded but there are only a handful of days during the summer that get hot enough to really make you wish there was AC. If Jersey is anything like PA, you will also notice a huge difference in humidity which helps A LOT.

If you are interested in checking out other options, you might want to take a look at The Heritage. (http://www.heritageonwinni.com) It’s about 5 minutes and one turn away from the Piping Rock in Tuftonboro. They have a great piece of land. I have not stayed there since it switched owners and names but when it was Pick Point lodges it was a great place. Good luck!
Frdxplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 02:58 PM   #8
karinlovering

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun seeker
Thank you all so much!

Colt: Did your wife mention fishing for candy at the Hansel and Gretel?

GHfromAltonBay-Thanks for the update. Do you think the summer heat would be too much to be in a cabin without A/C? I am more spoiled today than I was back then. I remember wearing sweatshirts at night. Is it still that way?
The cabins were in good shape the last time you stayed? It is rated only two stars by AAA. I am wondering if that is because of the no A/C.
I see you are from Jersey. I grew up just north of you up RT 23 North.
It is a very congested area that whole 46/3 and 23 area. We moved to VA about 8 years ago. We moved to a small town that is now growing fast. It would be a long drive to go back up to NH, but I think my kids would have fun. We would probably get all the Jersey cousins to go to.

I visited Wolfeboro about 15 years ago and Baileys was still there. We spent the night at the Baileys Motel. We were visiting friends in Boston and drove up for a couple of days. We had an elegant dinner at the Wolfeboro Inn.

Anyway, I have been thinking of returning to my favorite vacation spot of my youth. I just wanted some opinions on the place we used to stay at. We stayed here every summer for the decade of the 1970's.

Does anyone have recommendations for other good cottage colonys on the Lake? or is the Piping Rock one of the better ones? Thanks again.
Oh how fun to think back to that stuff! I am 27 and definitely remember fishing for candy at the Hansel and Gretel! Also remember the ice cream window there that was only there for a few summers! I live in Tuftonboro now and all of the things you mentioned are my most favorite child hood memories of summers away from CT! I summered in Melvin on Mill Pond Road and spent hours a day at the Melvin beach!
karinlovering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 04:52 PM   #9
sun seeker

Thanks FRDEXPLORER

I looked at thier web page and it looks very nice. I have emailed them requesting information.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:27 PM   #10
goosejr

Friends with two little girls (4 &2) stayed at the Piping Rock last year and said it was great. The beach was good and they even had a play structure.

They did not complain about the lack of air conditioning.

It is always full, can't be bad if it's packed all the time....

BTW, LOVED the Hansel and Gretel shop! The coolest memory, trying to get those fish!
goosejr is offline   Reply With Quote