Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2016, 06:03 PM   #1
Just Sold

Default No Clue Boater

Today after my cruise I arrived back at Downings Landing to take the boat out of the water and I experienced the bigeest dumbxxx/inconsiderate boater I have ever seen. This idiot took 20+ minutes to launch his boat including inspecting the boat launch ramp, docks and his boat more than once plus he did not move his boat out of the way and away from the launch dock after boarding. It had already been running for some time. He looked around his boat and also started a phone call before leaving the launch dock and continued to block across the launch after untying until he finally realized I had been sitting there for the first time. He then very slowly backed up with no acknowledgement to me. I had been there the whole time just off the launch doing all the prep work you do before taking a boat out. It was sure obvious what I was waiting for. After finally getting my boat out of the water this dumbxxx was still sitting off the luanch dock talking on the phone. How discouterous can anyone be. No I did not talk to him as I was so pissed it would not have been a good idea. Did the dumbxxx say anything to me? Never!! BTW his boat was an all white speedboat style, maybe 21', with a low blacked out windshield. I wonder if he reads this Forum or maybe someone knows him and can let him know what an idiot he was/is. Rant Over.
The Following User Says Thank You to Just Sold For This Useful Post:
noreast (07-29-2016)
Old 07-28-2016, 06:20 PM   #2
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Sold View Post
Today after my cruise I arrived back at Downings Landing to take the boat out of the water and I experienced the bigeest dumbxxx/inconsiderate boater I have ever seen. This idiot took 20+ minutes to launch his boat including inspecting the boat launch ramp, docks and his boat more than once plus he did not move his boat out of the way and away from the launch dock after boarding. It had already been running for some time. He looked around his boat and also started a phone call before leaving the launch dock and continued to block across the launch after untying until he finally realized I had been sitting there for the first time. He then very slowly backed up with no acknowledgement to me. I had been there the whole time just off the launch doing all the prep work you do before taking a boat out. It was sure obvious what I was waiting for. After finally getting my boat out of the water this dumbxxx was still sitting off the luanch dock talking on the phone. How discouterous can anyone be. No I did not talk to him as I was so pissed it would not have been a good idea. Did the dumbxxx say anything to me? Never!! BTW his boat was an all white speedboat style, maybe 21', with a low blacked out windshield. I wonder if he reads this Forum or maybe someone knows him and can let him know what an idiot he was/is. Rant Over.
I would have tied up my boat, got my truck/trailer, got "in line", and if he still was in the way, then said something. He might truly be clueless and not intentionally rude.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:10 PM   #3
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

If he's that clueless or that rude, I would be a little nervous about being the same ramp area as him.

I live here... I am always Upthesaukee.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:43 PM   #4
Hillcountry

I saw him at the Meredith town ramp a couple of weeks ago.
I have also seen numerous "other" clueless, wonders between Winni and Newfound.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:46 PM   #5
Woody38

It never ceases to amaze me the selfish behavior of some. Living on Cape Cod across from a landing I saw most everything. One fella once launching alone took the boat for a cruise around the bay leaving trailer and vehicle on the ramp. Glad I wasn't there to launch my boat. Some of the things were comical and others just plain rude or possible stupid.

Wave when you see me, I'll be waving back

The "Izzy Anna"
Attached Images

Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2016, 10:24 PM   #6
jonfinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Sold View Post
It had already been running for some time. He looked around his boat and also started a phone call before leaving the launch dock and continued to block across the launch after untying until he finally realized I had been sitting there for the first time.
Today, I went to launch my boat in a small local lake south of Boston. I've got a week on Winnipesaukee coming up so I wanted to be sure everything was running properly. Just as I went to out the boat in the water, my phone rang. I was not yet on the ramp. Rather, was still in the "prep" line. This was a fairly important call that I'd been waiting for. As this happened, a man pulled up beside me and asked if I was going in right now. I said, "No. Go ahead". He went ahead of me and got his boat launched. I was right behind him.

It was nice of him to ask. I already felt badly that I could be holding up progress. Although if I was on the ramp, I wouldn't have taken the call.

This was a case where everyone involved applied common sense.
jonfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 05:15 AM   #7
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

This season seems busier than last, and last year seemed busier than the one before--I've gotta think with an improved economy that there are more boating newbies who don't know the unwritten rules. Case in point: the Facebook page recently had a complaint thread about people anchoring at sandbars--specifically, that a boat had come in and gotten tangled in someone's anchor line, etc. Well, if not for someone stepping up to help me last week in West Alton, I could've been that person. Even though I've boated for a few years now and do my absolute best not to be "that guy" my new boat handles differently than the last, I hadn't been to WA before and wasn't familiar with the wind and current patterns, and that day my (currently being replaced) anchor just wasn't setting.

I think that if nothing is said to people like in the OP--in a nice, helpful manner--than with every spike in boaters there will be tons of increased frustration and complaint threads.

I'm not saying the OP's guy wasn't a doofus, but since nothing was said to him we don't know if he was intentionally rude or just didn't know better. If something was said and he responded unfavorably, then his tires should be shot out. After getting off the ramp, of course--that's good manners.
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 05:24 AM   #8
Winnisquamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post

I think that if nothing is said to people like in the OP--in a nice, helpful manner--than with every spike in boaters there will be tons of increased frustration and complaint threads. .
Bingo.. From what I've seen this summer, most would rather go on Facebook and complain than to offer a helping hand or some tips.
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:15 AM   #9
dickiej

I live in Newburyport, and we have a large park with a ramp on the Merrimack River. Years ago, it was unmanned and a free for all. It wasn't uncommon for there to be as many as 75-100 boaters using the ramp on weekends. I used to get an ice coffee and just go down and watch the antics--people cutting in, clueless launches, people who couldn't back down the ramp, no transom plugs and outright fist fights. It was a hoot, but really a rather pathetic display of human nature.
dickiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 07:00 AM   #10
Doobs41378

Quote:
This season seems busier than last, and last year seemed busier than the one before--I've gotta think with an improved economy that there are more boating newbies who don't know the unwritten rules. Case in point: the Facebook page recently had a complaint thread about people anchoring at sandbars--specifically, that a boat had come in and gotten tangled in someone's anchor line, etc. Well, if not for someone stepping up to help me last week in West Alton, I could've been that person. Even though I've boated for a few years now and do my absolute best not to be "that guy" my new boat handles differently than the last, I hadn't been to WA before and wasn't familiar with the wind and current patterns, and that day my (currently being replaced) anchor just wasn't setting.

I think that if nothing is said to people like in the OP--in a nice, helpful manner--than with every spike in boaters there will be tons of increased frustration and complaint threads.

I'm not saying the OP's guy wasn't a doofus, but since nothing was said to him we don't know if he was intentionally rude or just didn't know better. If something was said and he responded unfavorably, then his tires should be shot out. After getting off the ramp, of course--that's good manners.
It looks like you are correct about being busier. This article was in the Union Leader this week. 10,000 more boats registered in NH this summer over last.

http://www.unionleader.com/outdoors/...lakes-07262016
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 07:38 AM   #11
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Weeken Warriors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobs41378 View Post
It looks like you are correct about being busier. This article was in the Union Leader this week. 10,000 more boats registered in NH this summer over last.

http://www.unionleader.com/outdoors/...lakes-07262016
I notice this summer the weekend warriors are spilling out into the week. I'm not happy, but nothing a little 'rita can fix when I get home.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:40 AM   #12
MikeF-NH

I think I posted my worst ramp story on this forum before but a quick refresher: I was approaching Sheps after the Derby a few years back to take out my boat. I was inside the docking area and had dropped by buddy to grab the truck and trailer and get in line. a guy was just putting in a clearly brand new 24-27 foot gorgeous boat. It took him 5 minutes to line up then he got in the water and started pushing only to realize after a few minutes that he didn't release his winch. A few more minutes of pushing he released he didn't back up enough. Between attempts he walked to his truck and had "a few minutes" of conversation with him wife. I would say it was a good 20 minutes before his boat floated off the trailer. Took him another 5 to get it to the dock and tied. I thought "new guy...it takes time...he's got it now and the ramp is about to clear". Nope...(with truck and trailer still on the ramp) he gets into his boat and begins unwrapping all his gear still in plastic wrap...bumpers ropes...you name it...everything. All the while I am clearly waiting not 20 yards from him. Since we were approaching FORTY MINUTES and I now had two other boats behind me...I motored over, suppressed my frustration and said to him "excuse me...could you move your truck off the ramp so other boats can get to the ramp?". While he didn't snap back...he also never said "sorry" or gave a "oh I didn't realize that" look back...he just stared at me blankly and without saying a word moved slowly to his vehicle and moved the truck.

For weeks after that I was angry just thinking about it but now years removed...I realize that I SHOULD have recognized the new boater and after a few struggles...I should have tied up and walked over to him and without asking...just started helping after introducing myself to both educate and provide friendly assistance. Clearly this guy lacked common sense but there was opportunity to educate and assist here that would have benefited everyone.

Captain clueless in the first story of this thread...clearly needs education. I no longer think that floating at the ramp in patient silence is the best approach. Given what I read, I probably would have approached and said something like: "Excuse me...do you mind if I get to the ramp so I can take out? These ramps can get pretty busy in summer can't they?" If the guy was a jerk after that...well - its on! Point being, clueless people don't pick up on "patiently waiting" people at the ramp - they just don't have awareness of anything past their bow and stern. One good educational moment can pay it forward for the dozens of other people this person will inconvenience each season.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeF-NH For This Useful Post:
DBreskin (08-01-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 08:15 AM   #13
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF-NH View Post
...now years removed...I realize that I SHOULD have recognized the new boater and after a few struggles...I should have tied up and walked over to him and without asking...just started helping after introducing myself to both educate and provide friendly assistance.
I gotta be honest--there were times I WISHED someone would've offered friendly help but know people looking on probably thought I was Captain Doofus when really it was just being new and hyperfocused on not screwing up.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:32 AM   #14
swnoel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF-NH View Post
I think I posted my worst ramp story on this forum before but a quick refresher: I was approaching Sheps after the Derby a few years back to take out my boat. I was inside the docking area and had dropped by buddy to grab the truck and trailer and get in line. a guy was just putting in a clearly brand new 24-27 foot gorgeous boat. It took him 5 minutes to line up then he got in the water and started pushing only to realize after a few minutes that he didn't release his winch. A few more minutes of pushing he released he didn't back up enough. Between attempts he walked to his truck and had "a few minutes" of conversation with him wife. I would say it was a good 20 minutes before his boat floated off the trailer. Took him another 5 to get it to the dock and tied. I thought "new guy...it takes time...he's got it now and the ramp is about to clear". Nope...(with truck and trailer still on the ramp) he gets into his boat and begins unwrapping all his gear still in plastic wrap...bumpers ropes...you name it...everything. All the while I am clearly waiting not 20 yards from him. Since we were approaching FORTY MINUTES and I now had two other boats behind me...I motored over, suppressed my frustration and said to him "excuse me...could you move your truck off the ramp so other boats can get to the ramp?". While he didn't snap back...he also never said "sorry" or gave a "oh I didn't realize that" look back...he just stared at me blankly and without saying a word moved slowly to his vehicle and moved the truck.

For weeks after that I was angry just thinking about it but now years removed...I realize that I SHOULD have recognized the new boater and after a few struggles...I should have tied up and walked over to him and without asking...just started helping after introducing myself to both educate and provide friendly assistance. Clearly this guy lacked common sense but there was opportunity to educate and assist here that would have benefited everyone.

Captain clueless in the first story of this thread...clearly needs education. I no longer think that floating at the ramp in patient silence is the best approach. Given what I read, I probably would have approached and said something like: "Excuse me...do you mind if I get to the ramp so I can take out? These ramps can get pretty busy in summer can't they?" If the guy was a jerk after that...well - its on! Point being, clueless people don't pick up on "patiently waiting" people at the ramp - they just don't have awareness of anything past their bow and stern. One good educational moment can pay it forward for the dozens of other people this person will inconvenience each season.
Really... should it matter whether you're a new boater of not! Only an imbecile couldn't figure out there was only one launch and everyone else had to use the same one! Sounds more like someone that hasn't a care about anyone else! Sorry if I offend some, but some people in this country are starting to show their true colors, it's appalling, and I won't make excuses for them!
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to swnoel For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (07-29-2016), noreast (07-29-2016), Orion (07-29-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 08:35 AM   #15
swnoel

Quote:
I gotta be honest--there were times I WISHED someone would've offered friendly help but know people looking on probably thought I was Captain Doofus when really it was just being new and hyperfocused on not screwing up.
Did you ever think about asking? Not everyone is a mind reader! ;-)
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:37 AM   #16
Phantom

someone's cranky this morning !!

Old 07-29-2016, 08:49 AM   #17
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by swnoel View Post
Did you ever think about asking? Not everyone is a mind reader! ;-)
That's the point--in hindsight, I was either too nervous, hyperfocused, or embarrassed to ask. The times people have offered have greatly put me at ease.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Outdoorsman (07-29-2016), swnoel (07-29-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 06:29 PM   #18
noreast

Quote:
Originally Posted by swnoel View Post
Really... should it matter whether you're a new boater of not! Only an imbecile couldn't figure out there was only one launch and everyone else had to use the same one! Sounds more like someone that hasn't a care about anyone else! Sorry if I offend some, but some people in this country are starting to show their true colors, it's appalling, and I won't make excuses for them!
Right, being a inconsiderate jerk at the launch has nothing to do with being a new boater. It's also a major portion of any certificate course. You can tell when someones new and needs a hand vs being an arrogant pr...
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:41 AM   #19
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Just for the fun of it I like to go to the other extreme. Wanted to set the worlds record for the fastest launch. My 26" Hurricane was on a twin axle trailer with rollers, As I approached the ramp I would unhook the chain, winch and have one person on the bow line. All I had to do was touch the brakes and the boat would slide right in and I'd drive away. Total launch time under two minutes.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
ITD (08-01-2016)
Old 07-31-2016, 09:45 AM   #20
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Just for the fun of it I like to go to the other extreme. Wanted to set the worlds record for the fastest launch. My 26" Hurricane was on a twin axle trailer with rollers, As I approached the ramp I would unhook the chain, winch and have one person on the bow line. All I had to do was touch the brakes and the boat would slide right in and I'd drive away. Total launch time under two minutes.
But if you want to be really quick (30 seconds) and not tie up the dock at the ramp you disconnect the boat and have someone in the boat who starts the boat as you are backing, and puts it in reverse as soon as the stern hits the water. No bow line needed. That requires two people with at least a little talent.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
fanfig77200 (07-31-2016)
Old 07-31-2016, 09:54 AM   #21
noreast

Or, the gps/remote on an expensive trolling motor. You'll look like a genius. I saw a guy do It, sent his boat out a bit, Parked the truck, then recalled the boat. I think it was Bat Man.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:09 AM   #22
Winnisquamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreast View Post
Or, the gps/remote on an expensive trolling motor. You'll look like a genius. I saw a guy do It, sent his boat out a bit, Parked the truck, then recalled the boat. I think it was Bat Man.

Seen that on Ship Shape tv. How cool is that!
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 01:50 PM   #23
4Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
But if you want to be really quick (30 seconds) and not tie up the dock at the ramp you disconnect the boat and have someone in the boat who starts the boat as you are backing, and puts it in reverse as soon as the stern hits the water. No bow line needed. That requires two people with at least a little talent.
This is our method. 60 sec launch. Back in with wife in boat. When stern is in the water I stop get out and unhook the winch line, she starts the boat and gives me a thumbs up that it's running fine. I then bump her off the trailer and pull away. It can be done without talking let alone yelling.

Retrieve may be 2 min, Back the trailer in and she drives the boat on at 2-3 mph, as soon as it hits the bunks she turns off the engine and trims up. I winch it the rest of the way and pull away. No power loading etc. Just be consistent with your trailer depth and it works every time.

A little practice and anyone can do it. It gets tough when only 1 person can drive the car and boat.
4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4Fun For This Useful Post:
TiltonBB (08-01-2016)
Old 08-01-2016, 05:54 PM   #24
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Fun View Post
Just be consistent with your trailer depth and it works every time.
I am a launch ramp junkie. I now enjoy watching the newbies at the ramp. I have used the ramps over the years and know how to launch a boat. Yes..3 minutes, single handed. Retrieve: The same.

Anyone can dump the boat in the water. THE KEY to a successful Retrieval is... How Deep to put the trailer in the water.

ADVICE: Back the trailer in so the TOP of the FENDERS of the trailer are "just above" (say an inch or two)..the surface of the water. It works.

During Retrieval, The biggest error I see is people put the trailer into the water TOO Deep and now the boat is "Swimming" all over the place and can't find the center of the trailer. NB

Last edited by NoBozo; 08-01-2016 at 06:28 PM.
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:28 PM   #25
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
I am a launch ramp junkie. I now enjoy watching the newbies at the ramp. I have used the ramps over the years and know how to launch a boat. Yes..3 minutes, single handed. Retrieve: The same.

Anyone can dump the boat in the water. THE KEY to a successful Retrieval is... How Deep to put the trailer in the water.

ADVICE: Back the trailer in so the TOP of the FENDERS of the trailer are "just above" (say an inch or two)..the surface of the water. It works.

During Retrieval, The biggest error I see is people put the trailer into the water TOO Deep and now the boat is "Swimming" all over the place and can't find the center of the trailer. NB
I think it's something called "common sense" of which there seems to be a void of nowadays...
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:40 AM   #26
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post

I agree that the most common mistake is backing in too deep, but proper trailer depth can vary widely. For instance, if any part of my fenders are above water at most ramps, I would barely get the bow on the last 5 feet of the trailer. My fenders need to be quite deep (like 2 feet at the back) to get the boat on the trailer unless the ramp is really steep. "Flat" ramps are a problem for me.

My advice is to start shallow and get the boat winched as far as is possible without over-straining the winch, then back the trailer in a few feet, as needed, to get the boat all the way to the bow stop.

The ramp mistake that bothers me the most is when people leave their kids in the tow vehicle during the launching/retrieving process, That's a recipe for a needless tragedy. One simple mistake (which is especially easy to make when you are stressing out about the process itself) with the shift lever, gas pedal, or parking brake and the tow vehicle can easily be rapidly dragged underwater. Get everyone out and roll down the window(s) before launching and retrieving.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote