Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-09-2011, 04:19 PM   #1
MikeF-NH

Default Looking for local info on boating around Meredith Neck...

I am coming up for the Spring Salmon derby with 3-4 other boats/crews and renting a house in the bay between Merideth Neck and Stonedam island (Dale Rd/Loch Eden Shores area). Our only concern before signing the rental agreement is boating in that bay to/from the property.

We are all very experienced boater and all use GPS units and Bizer maps but that area looks awefully "boney" to get into and out of. Can anyone famililar with that little bay give me any impressions for boating in the area? Just generally if you would avoid the bay at all costs and stay away or if it's ok but only at headway speed or if it's pretty safe if you stay to the east/west of the bay.

Coming out of the bay, is it better to go up the bay behind Bear island to get out to the broads or between Mark and Bear?

No need to remind us that care is the most important factor in unfamilair waters, we are just trying to figure out if this area is too hazardous to rent from for this event (like the area holding Walter in On Golden Pond).
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:57 PM   #2
jrc

I don't think you will have a problem.

We anchor in the larger cove near Stonedam all the time with a 35' boat, we also traverse the channel between Stonedam and the neck. The rocks are pretty well marked. You must know how to read the NH spar bouys, you must get a paper Bizer chart and you should get a Winnipesaukee chip for your GPS.

The link shows the bay you describe, there are a bunch of boats in there it can't be too bad.

The shortest route to the Broads depends on where on the Boards you are going. The channel between Bear and Mark is a little tougher than Bear and the neck, but either way is easy and well marked.

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=r86...16&dir=0&sty=b
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:10 AM   #3
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post

The channel between Bear and Mark is a little tougher than Bear and the neck, but either way is easy and well marked.
The channel between Mark and Bear is a piece of cake. Well marked. Stay to the right of the markers as you round the corner for that short distance and it opens right up with nothing to hit. Round the tip of Bear, keep Jolly on your left and go straight into the Broads.

As you are approaching Mark/Bear, there is one small rock pile with a triangle of markers surrounding it on the right. I dont have a map handy so I cant give you the flasher# but it is easy to spot and avoid.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:31 PM   #4
kchace

As mentioned above, you'll absolutely need a chart and take the time to understand (really understand) how the marker system works in Winni. For example, I use the acronym "BEN" = Black top, stay East or North - to help me remember. Red topped marker, stay west or south. But that's not the whole story. There is NEVER a guarantee that you can safely pass a marker on BOTH of the sides listed for it! The ONLY way to know which of the two sides (or both) you can use to safely pass the marker is to check the chart. Also, rocks, ledges or shallow areas closer to shore than about 150' are not usually marked unless its a narrow area to begin with.

I often use the channel between Bear and Mark and its a really easy area to get through as long as you pay attention to the channel markers - because the good channel passes close to Mark, not out in the middle as one might think. Once you round the tip of Bear, its a straight shot into the broads keeping Jolly on your left.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:31 PM   #5
SIKSUKR

You could also navigate easily between Mark and Timber. Its less confusing except at the entrance. Coming from Stonedam keep the black on your right and immediately look to keep the reds on your left. You have to make a right turn through there and then its pretty much open water till you turn left and head between Jolly and Camp.