Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 11-10-2010, 07:53 AM   #1
Dave R

Default Boat improvements

Anyone planning any boat improvements this off-season? I have a few things planned.

I will be having my cockpit cover re-stitched. It's done well for 10 years, and I hope to get at least another 5 out of it.

I need to have the cushions in the V-Berth of my cuddy re-upholstered. I was thinking of adding thickness to them as well. They are rather thin and headroom is a non-issue.

I am adding a second set of trim tab switches at my helm. The factory set is hard to reach when standing and I tend to stand more than sit when operating my boat. The new switches are completely waterproof, mil-spec and cost me only $14 on ebay. The original Bennett switch pair has a complete extra set of connections on the back that are perfect for adding a parallel set of switches.

I will be having my propellers refurbished. I dinged them over the Summer.

I may upgrade my audio system so that I can play music from an Ipod.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:12 PM   #2
fatlazyless

howdy..........any chance you post a photo of your boat?
Old 11-10-2010, 12:14 PM   #3
jrc

Sounds like fun DaveR. I don't have any real plans yet but I've thought about underwater lights. Still on the fence as they really add nothing but "gee whiz"

A couple comments on your plans:

I hear great things about the memory foam for sleeping cushions. My boat has an inner spring mattress, it's still only about 4 or 5 inches thick. That would be the best solution but pretty pricey.

Be careful with the trim tab switches, I haven't look at a schematic in a while but I remember that in some setups you could pop a fuse/breaker with you went up on one tab simultaneously with down on the other tab. Basically it shorted +12 to ground. Either the switches physically prevent this or the wiring has changed.

My stereo has a aux input that has the three wire mini jack. this is OK to use with and Ipod, you can hear good quality audio. But you cannot control the Ipod through the stereo. I set up playlists and just let them run. You might check with Crutchfield, they have kits for some radios to have actual Ipod control from the radio. I might be easier just to get another stereo.

Have Fun
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:59 PM   #4
AC2717

going to be getting some buttons and restiching done on the covers and hopefully, hopefully enough in the budget to get the boat detailed in and out. She really needs it. the whole nine yards!
Old 11-10-2010, 02:23 PM   #5
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
howdy..........any chance you post a photo of your boat?

It's a 2000 Regal 2550 LSC

We trailer it all over, but use it mostly in Winnipesaukee and lakes in Maine.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2010, 03:04 PM   #6
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
I hear great things about the memory foam for sleeping cushions. My boat has an inner spring mattress, it's still only about 4 or 5 inches thick. That would be the best solution but pretty pricey.
You read my mind. We already have a 2" memory foam mattress cover that we use over the OEM cushions. I was hoping to incorporate something like that in the new cushions.

Quote:
Be careful with the trim tab switches, I haven't look at a schematic in a while but I remember that in some setups you could pop a fuse/breaker with you went up on one tab simultaneously with down on the other tab. Basically it shorted +12 to ground. Either the switches physically prevent this or the wiring has changed.
The switches I have now don't prevent that, but I can't say I've ever tried running one tab one way and the other the opposite. That sounds like a way to get the boat to heel over at a dangerous angle.

My typical trim tab situations:

1. I run them both all the way down at the same time before taking off from a dead start, both all the way up at the same time once on-plane, then I make tiny adjustments one at a time as needed to keep the boat level.

2. I run them both all the way down when underway in anticipation of slowing dramatically, but with the intention of staying on-plane.

Quote:
My stereo has a aux input that has the three wire mini jack. this is OK to use with and Ipod, you can hear good quality audio. But you cannot control the Ipod through the stereo. I set up playlists and just let them run. You might check with Crutchfield, they have kits for some radios to have actual Ipod control from the radio. I might be easier just to get another stereo.

Have Fun
I found a few Marine rated units that'll run (and charge) an Ipod. Leaning toward Sony.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:07 PM   #7
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
going to be getting some buttons and restiching done on the covers and hopefully, hopefully enough in the budget to get the boat detailed in and out. She really needs it. the whole nine yards!
I have a full camper canvas, with about 2 million snaps, and carry a snap replacement kit on the boat all the time. If you ever need a snap replaced, ping me. I can put them in in no time, on the water.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (11-11-2010)
Old 11-10-2010, 05:13 PM   #8
Sunset Bob
Deceased Member

Just had new canvas done and having new engine put in this winter.
Sunset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:39 PM   #9
Cal

Since my boat is now 22 years old, most everythings been redone already. Interior, dash(instruments& panels),engines, drives, bimini and enclosure, hydraulic steering.
Spring will see a new cockpit cover since the present one is eight years old and stitching is beginning to break.
Exterior still looks new since I just spent three days waxing and buffing
Old 11-10-2010, 06:32 PM   #10
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset Bob View Post
Curious about the engine...
Old 11-10-2010, 07:45 PM   #11
Just Sold

I bought a "new" 1988 Four Winns 180 Horizon in Sept and am doing a lot of cosmetic work on it for the winter. Right now the bow & stern seats are out for new upolstery. I have added a new bimini top, cleaned a lot and vacuumed up many acorns, ty-wraps, wires and screws dropped by previous "workers" from the bilge. I have tightened many screws, replaced bad ones and repaired damaged screw holes. Cleaned and re-oiled all of the teak.
This weekend at the urging of a friend I will be trying some wet sanding on the sides of the boat. It is dull from years of sun exposure and is maroon in color.

Last edited by Just Sold; 11-10-2010 at 08:18 PM.
Just Sold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:58 PM   #12
robmac

Repair cockpit cover,new moring cover, injector upgrades, stereo upgrade,a few new PFDs to replace aging ones,and complete tune-up and drive service. That should do it for me.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:27 PM   #13
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Sold View Post
I bought a "new" 1988 Four Winns 180 Horizon in Sept and am doing a lot of cosmetic work on it for the winter. Right now the bow & stern seats are out for new upolstery. I have added a new bimini top, cleaned a lot and vacuumed up many acorns, ty-wraps, wires and screws dropped by previous "workers" from the bilge. I have tightened many screws, replaced bad ones and repaired damaged screw holes. Cleaned and re-oiled all of the teak.
This weekend at the urging of a friend I will be trying some wet sanding on the sides of the boat. It is dull from years of sun exposure and is maroon in color.
I'm eager to see how the gel coat comes out after wet sanding. Please post after pics.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:40 PM   #14
OCDACTIVE

Default Yikes... Where to begin

Wow.. I have a list and I am just focusing on saving $ for the spring to do it all...

Well on the trailer.. Hit a deer mangeling the fender on the way to VA so first replace that.
Also found a break line that came unhooked on the left wheel breaks, so replace or fix that.

My cabin power is acting up.. Fix that

Fix my compass. The new GPS compass did not show pos or neg terminals. So I had a 50/50 guess. Guessed wrong. Now my S points N and vice versa.

Put in a new winshield

Replace wind flaps

My RPM gauge flutters. Fix that.

Install 2 new speakers

Install 2 new amps and inline fuse

Hook Speedometer to new GPS with cable

Install Sony Sender to stereo

Install snap on Bathroom door so it doesn't open at high speed / waves

Sent Prop to b-blades for tune up

Have some upholestry fixed

Buy poncho's and paintball masks to keep onboard. (some day get caught in a thunderstorm, running a poker run, in 6 foot waves, in a boat doing 60 mph +, with no windshield) before you ask me why! LOL

That should be good for now.. At least the engine is tip top this year.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:42 PM   #15
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
watch the wet sanding..!

we can talk soon and we can go over some ideas....
Old 11-10-2010, 08:44 PM   #16
Ropetow

I'll be having broken/missing snaps replaced and some stitching repaired on the bow and cockpit covers, and getting new camper canvas. Would love to justify a good interior detailing before we launch in April. Always plan and say I'm going to do it, but never seem to find the time.
Ropetow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:01 PM   #17
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmac View Post
Repair cockpit cover,new moring cover, injector upgrades, stereo upgrade,a few new PFDs to replace aging ones,and complete tune-up and drive service. That should do it for me.
I'm curious about injector upgrades. What's the difference between the old and improved?
Old 11-11-2010, 08:22 AM   #18
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:

Ken, I have a real nice Porter Cable 7424 dual action buffer if you want to give it a try with some compound before going down the wet sanding route. It really powers through oxidation.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:26 AM   #19
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Ken, I have a real nice Porter Cable 7424 dual action buffer if you want to give it a try with some compound before going down the wet sanding route. It really powers through oxidation.
I agree with VB... I also have the complete Shurhold 3 step system with power buffer. This has the oscalating head that prevents an amature from burning the gel coat. It is a bit safer if you don't have experience with a power buffer. You are more then welcome.

Better yet, if you want we can get together some weekend and give it a try. Everything is in my garage while OCD is away. I'd be happy to come by and see how it would work.

Wet Sanding is the LAST option I would ever consider.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:32 AM   #20
ThePlut

Default Some of the

I'm planning some of the same upgrades as you all, new stereo, new GPS, upgraded swim platform setup, new bow seating area, upgrade the head compartment and passenger seating, adding a bunch of storage...

Of course, I'm also planning to add about 2ft of length, 8 or so inches of freeboard, a larger motor with like 55 additional horsepower too.

ThePlut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:13 AM   #21
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Red face Engine Hatch

This year, I will be replacing the upholstery on the engine hatch. Tim's Tops and Trims in Laconia did a great job in the past. Previous owner of the boat replace the factory vinyl with cheap vinyl and it shows. Big time! Tim will be replacing with original vinyl. He will be using Tenara thread that will last a lot longer than the original.

I had replaced the speakers last winter with the DC Gold waterproof speakers. They sound fantastic with new JBL marine unit. The original speakers were Babb speakers, no longer in production. The cones seperated from the frame after 21 years of use! The Blaupunkt unit is still good but plays tapes only. Upgrade to a CD unit with Ipod jack and 180 watts. Check out www.rocktheboataudio.com for price comparison.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:55 AM   #22
Kamper

Nothing major. Just tires, bearings and batteries.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:35 AM   #23
jrc

Quote:
... the urging of a friend I will be trying some wet sanding on the sides of the boat. It is dull from years of sun exposure and is maroon in color.
My Dad had a blue Fourwinns of that vintage. You will probably need to wet sand to get that hullside looking good again. But the issue is once it's faded that bad it will never be right.

Sure you can compound and/or sand and make it look really good, but it will fade right back in less than a season. Even if you keep it waxed. That gel coat is 23 years old with 23 year old technology and pigments.

My advice, either:

1) Live with it, give it a quick once over and then just enjoy the boat.
2) Look at the Poliglow solution. It's a shiny coating that you paint on and it looks good for a while. It's controversial, so do the research.
3) Have the boat painted. This is the best permanent solution.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:18 PM   #24
robmac

Changing to bigger injectors better suited for E-10 and if and when they go to E-15. Takes more fuel to get same performance so called Arizona Speed and Marine.

Last edited by robmac; 11-11-2010 at 09:19 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-12-2010, 02:07 AM   #25
hancoveguy

Default For boaters with the Ipod stereo issue

Overview - Compare prices - Reviews - Details - Related items

$245 new from 41 sellers

2 reviews
Marine Stereo For iPod MS-IP600 Delivering a new modern styling and enhanced remote bus technology, the 600 series is an evolution on the award winning features found in the 500 series. Incorporating an intelligent user memory, FUSION's latest Alpha
Add to Shopping List

I just put this Fusion stereo in last summer. It holds most of the modern Ipods right inside and makes the face of the radio the controls for all the Ipod's functions. It is a very convenient idea but i am not sure how much I like it yet. We have a nano and an Ipod classic and so far it is difficult to get either of them to seat within the radio. the radio itself is somewhat weak wattage wise. The jury is still out but if someone was hell bent on getting a Ipod ready stereo this is one option.

Also, was thinking of having work done to the due props. i get vibration when I power through a turn. I am an inexperienced boater so I can't accurately diagnose the problem so if anyone has any thoughts feel free to share them.

HCG
Attached Images

hancoveguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 04:07 AM   #26
robmac

Have you had your drive aligned and checked the gimball bearing. Prop you'd get vibration all of the time. Just a thought.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:37 AM   #27
Just Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Thanks for the offer but I have 2 orbital buffers that operate at different speeds and have tried 3 types of compound including the 3M product. Appearance improved only very slightly. I am going to use a 1000 grit wet sand paper which is slightly tougher than the compound. Then buffer compound and wax before ice out. Garage is unheated so this type of work can only be done when it is warm enough outside.

I am not intending to sand a whole heck of a lot either as I do not want to go through the gelcoat. I also do not have the stamina I used to for sanding for long periods of time anyway. The boat will be rack stored this summer so any improvement in the appearance I get will last a little longer since sun & water exposure will be far less than if I had it in a slip. My last Four Winns (1989) was the same color and with some mid season maintinace with 3M's color restorer and a buffer it looked very good.

I will let everyone know how it comes out.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:33 AM   #28
VtSteve

That Fusion unit is a very good unit, love the setup. I balked last year at an upgrade, primarily because I hate installs and wiring My transom remote is a Kenwood, which does work with their new iPod ready head unit. So I might just get that installed before summer.

My winterization this year included some spring items like new anodes, impeller, etc.. So after paying $1400 for everything including storage and shrink wrap , it slowed down my lust for boating upgrades. My favorite upgrade would have been adding a foot and a half to the beam and another 6' to the length, but that's just not going to happen.

May seems so far off right now
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 05:26 PM   #29
Just Sold

Quote:
Thanks for the offer but I have 2 orbital buffers that operate at different speeds and have tried 3 types of compound including the 3M product. Appearance improved only very slightly. I am going to use a 1000 grit wet sand paper which is slightly tougher than the compound. Then buffer compound and wax before ice out. Garage is unheated so this type of work can only be done when it is warm enough outside.

I am not intending to sand a whole heck of a lot either as I do not want to go through the gelcoat. I also do not have the stamina I used to for sanding for long periods of time anyway. The boat will be rack stored this summer so any improvement in the appearance I get will last a little longer since sun & water exposure will be far less than if I had it in a slip. My last Four Winns (1989) was the same color and with some mid season maintinace with 3M's color restorer and a buffer it looked very good.

I will let everyone know how it comes out.
Yup stamina isn't what it used to be. Used 2000 & 1000 grit sandpaper. Result are OK but the result is not worth it There is improvement but not enough for me to spend many hours to do the whole boat. The 2000 grit would have to be used quite a bit to get the surface to look good and the sanding marks would still be there even with compounding after sanding. Oh well I made the attempt.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:48 PM   #30
hancoveguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmac View Post
Have you had your drive aligned and checked the gimball bearing. Prop you'd get vibration all of the time. Just a thought.
Just had the gimble bearing replaced this summer, think it needs checked again?
Old 11-13-2010, 09:39 PM   #31
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by hancoveguy View Post
Just had the gimble bearing replaced this summer, think it needs checked again?
More likely the U-joints if the gimbal bearing is new.

I have an alignment tool if you need to check yours.
hancoveguy (11-15-2010)
Old 11-15-2010, 06:56 PM   #32
hancoveguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
More likely the U-joints if the gimbal bearing is new.

I have an alignment tool if you need to check yours.
Thanks for the info, do I need to take the drive off to check the u joints?
Old 11-15-2010, 08:04 PM   #33
Dave R

Quote:
Thanks for the info, do I need to take the drive off to check the u joints?
Yup, and to check the alignment as well (something that supposed to be done yearly). Taking the drive off is really easy though. Do you have a VP or Merc?
Old 11-16-2010, 01:16 PM   #34
gtxrider

Default How Big?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset Bob View Post

How 'bout a 502 BIG BLOCK! OH no that would be hard to keep below 45mph
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 04:51 AM   #35
hancoveguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
Yup, and to check the alignment as well (something that supposed to be done yearly). Taking the drive off is really easy though. Do you have a VP or Merc?
7.4 VP with duoprop
Old 11-17-2010, 10:30 AM   #36
Dave R

Quote:
7.4 VP with duoprop
Assuming it's the newer style DP, it's very similar to a Mercuiser. The link below makes it seem much more complicated than it is, bus great photos.

http://www.boatered.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=108297

Rather than using a motorcycle jack to adjust the height of the drive, I adjust the height of my boat transom with the trailer jack. I made a simple drive stand out of scrap lumber that sits on a mechanic's creeper and the drive height is fixed. The creeper has great casters that let the drive move in any direction easily and is really cheap to buy.

If it's an older DP, the process is a bit more complicated.
hancoveguy (11-18-2010)
Old 11-17-2010, 04:19 PM   #37
lakers

Default refinnishing teak swim platform

great thread topic...i have stripped the old varnish, sanded it and am preparing to apply deks oljey....here is the question..do i apply anything to the bottom of the swim platform?
lakers is offline   Reply With Quote