Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-28-2011, 07:20 PM   #1

Default GPS units Internal vs External

Anyone have experience with the internal antenna on the newer GPS units. They come at a little discount to the external units and I was wondering if anyone had good or bad experience
newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:19 PM   #2
gf2020

If the unit will be installed on top of the dash or inside of just a fiberglass dash then an internal antenna unit is fine. If there are multiple layers (dash & hardtop, for example) between the unit and "the sky" go with an external antenna unit.
gf2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:35 AM   #3
ThePlut

Default Internal

I've had an internal on my 2005 vintage Navman 5500i (no longer manufactured) and it's worked fine for the past 6 years. It was mounted on my dashboard with a clear view of the sky or with the bimini extended. Never had any problems finding satellites. I imagine they've only gotten better through the years.

On my new boat, I decided to go external so I could do a flush/surface mount installation on the dash. It doesn't really have a good spot for a dash mount. I got a CP180 (out of production).

One option for you may be the new Standard Horizon CP190. It has an internal antenna, but has a port for an optional external antenna to be added if needed. So you could try to get away with the internal, and protect the investment, and only add an external if needed.
ThePlut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ThePlut For This Useful Post:
newbie (03-29-2011)
Old 03-29-2011, 06:51 PM   #4
hancoveguy

I have a dash mounted CP-180I (internal antenna) and it seems to work well. It only has to shoot through the windshield and metal around it and occasionally a bimini.
As far as it being out of production...WestMarine is still selling it as in stock as well as many other places...so if it is out of production there must be a large surplus as they are readily available.

HCG
hancoveguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:22 AM   #5
ThePlut

Default It's what I was told

It's what I was told by the retailer I bought mine from. In fact, I noticed that they are no longer advertising the CP180i. I was told once they're gone, they're gone.
ThePlut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links