Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2011, 09:36 AM   #1
CateP

Default Pontoon Boat-Planning for Purchase

Hi Lakers
My partner and I are moving up to the area as soon as we sell our NJ house. We are avid fishing women and want to get a 20 ft. pontoon boat and trailer it around the lakes region. The reason we are going with a pontoon boat is because we have two dogs and like to take them out with us. We are also thinking of using it for camping trips to Umbagog. We have rented a 20 ft pontoon boat at Squam and loved it!

(We know a 20 footer won't be going out on the Broads on the great lake where Walter's brother Ralph lives.)

So here are my questions...we don't have thousands of $$ for a new pontoon boat, but want to budget for a decent boat and trailer. How much should we expect to spend?

Buy used through dealer or private sale?
Recommendations for listings?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by CateP; 02-24-2011 at 09:25 PM.
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:05 AM   #2
robmac

Cate, I don't have alot of experience with toons, but my brother in-law bought a Bass Tracker Bass Buggy. Great boat for the money,he has the 40 HP motor along with the fish package and trailer with brakes. I think it was just under 17K complete. It's 19' 7" and he uses it quite abit on the big lake and tows to other fishing spots. That's not alot of money when I see some of the prices for Toons. Good luck.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:38 AM   #3
brk-lnt

Do you have an approximate budget in mind?

FWIW, I wouldn't say a 'toon is your only choice. We take our 2 dogs (was 3) on our 24ft cuddy, and though we don't fish it would be possible to do so from our boat.

My feelings are that pontoons can be too open for a long day on the lake (generally no porta-potty (unless you have a pop-up privacy enclosure thing), and limited options for getting out of the sun, or out of a passing rain shower).

I think that for a $/ft scenario, 'toons may be one of the cheapest options, but make sure you consider all possible use cases.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:09 PM   #4
John A. Birdsall

Default toon boat

I have a 24' princecraft with a 75 hp mercury on it. One of the things you need to look at is the size of the logs. (Toon) We have the largest logs on it and the flotation is so much better than the smaller ones. And we go all over the lake in almost any weather. By the way my dog hates boats.

If something happens to that outboard I am gonna go with a minimum of 130 hp. though we have pulled two skiers with this one. Coars the skiers were 20 year younger and a few pounds lighter. Now I probably be lucky to get one up.

We were looking for a trailer and they go for about 2100.00 and I think you can get a better complete deal for about 17,000.00
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:25 PM   #5
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Cate,

To start looking I suggest taking a look at Winnisquammarine.

http://www.winnisquammarine.com/

They are good guys at this place... If you go to there webpage and look at used boats, right now they have a variety of pontoon options.

As others have suggested pontoon log size is important, as well as making sure you have enough power. A small engine is good for putting around, but if the wind kicks up, and your trying to get into a dock or into the boat ramp, you may want a bigger engine with a bigger prop to make sure you can get a good bite, and move the boat around.
CateP (02-25-2011)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2011, 03:30 PM   #6
Dave R

I highly recommend used from whomever has the boat you want (dealer or private sale). Once you find exactly what you want, pay experts to survey the boat and inspect/test the engine if you have any doubts about your abilities to spot problems. Also, budget new trailer tires, a spare tire, trailer brakes and new trailer wheel bearings into the equation. Not many used boats come with trailers in tip-top shape, and you will need yours to be if you'll be dragging it around.

Make sure that in addition to time on NH lakes, you spend some time on Long Lake/Songo River/Sebago Lake in ME.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:08 AM   #7
VtSteve

It's pretty impressive to see what level of product Bennington is rolling out for brand new packages. Good size toons, boat motor and trailer for $17k to $22K. Good time for boat show shopping.

For larger lakes, I'd want a tri-toon with a little oomph. But my first choice would be a deck boat of similar size. Hurricane, Stingray, whatever. I prefer the enclosed head, and better planing attitude.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:11 AM   #8
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

You can get a good idea on prices by checking Boatrader.com, usedboats.com or one of the other internet sites for used boats. You can scroll by price.
He's my advice for what it's worth......
I'd be looking for an outboard because you can tilt all the way up for beaching and poking around in shallow or rocky water......4 cycle because they are quiet and better for the enviroment......at least 100hp so that you can get away from approaching storms.
A 20'er is a good choice....easy to trailer and good enough, even for the broads in Winnipesaukee on a normal day.
I'd look for one around 3-5 years old with low hours. There are lots of people out there who, due to tough times are wanting to sell........make an offer.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:59 AM   #9
camp guy

Default Pontoon Boat - Planning for Purchase

Having followed your other posts about moving to the Lakes Region this summer, I'd say you have a pretty full plate already, without the addition of a boat. I'm not intending to throw a wet blanket over your ideas, but I do think you have a lot going on.

So, my first suggestion would be to spend time this summer doing some hands-on research about what boat would be best for you and your boating plans. A pontoon boat provides a lot of benefits, but it also is lacking in some areas, most notably, as already mentioned in an earlier post, limited potty facilities, and limited protection from weather, and weather can blow up very quickly on the Big Lake. Maybe you could rent a pontoon boat for a weekend and try it out. Pontoon boats handle differently than monohull boats, and, although there is no tide and current to deal with on the Lake, pontoons present a large sail area to deal with in close quarters in windy conditions. You might try out other boat styles and other sizes. Over and over I read about people buying one size boat, then two years later they go up a size, and then up again a few years later. Quite possibly, if you rent several styles/sizes this first summer, you will get a handle on what you actually feel comfortable with, then you can buy something in the size category that will last you for a while.

Another suggestion is to visit some boat shows. This is the season for boat shows.

My third suggestion is to re-visit my first suggestion !!

Good Luck, and Happy Boating.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to camp guy For This Useful Post:
CateP (02-26-2011)
Old 02-26-2011, 12:27 PM   #10
CateP

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
Having followed your other posts about moving to the Lakes Region this summer, I'd say you have a pretty full plate already, without the addition of a boat. I'm not intending to throw a wet blanket over your ideas, but I do think you have a lot going on.

So, my first suggestion would be to spend time this summer doing some hands-on research about what boat would be best for you and your boating plans. A pontoon boat provides a lot of benefits, but it also is lacking in some areas, most notably, as already mentioned in an earlier post, limited potty facilities, and limited protection from weather, and weather can blow up very quickly on the Big Lake. Maybe you could rent a pontoon boat for a weekend and try it out. Pontoon boats handle differently than monohull boats, and, although there is no tide and current to deal with on the Lake, pontoons present a large sail area to deal with in close quarters in windy conditions. You might try out other boat styles and other sizes. Over and over I read about people buying one size boat, then two years later they go up a size, and then up again a few years later. Quite possibly, if you rent several styles/sizes this first summer, you will get a handle on what you actually feel comfortable with, then you can buy something in the size category that will last you for a while.
Hi Camp Guy- You bring up a good point about taking on too much. BUT..we've been renting pontoon boats all over New England over the years and I currently own a 25 foot sailboat that we use for overnights. My partner lived on a lake in NJ and her family owned several boats. We're not really newbies to the boating world and we certainly have been out there in rough seas with a 9.8 hp motor trying to dock. Lots of stories to tell. I guess that's why sailors drink a lot.

I still think your advice is good in that we should get up there, settle in, do the boat rental scene, get more familiar with various bodies of water and conditions, and shop around. It's just that we are so excited about getting out there.

Our plan to pontoon and trailer is based on wanting to go to smaller lakes and fish with the doggies who LOVE the pontoon. We don't want to pay for storage or slips. (Been there, done that-you would be shocked if you knew what we've spent on our sailboat here in NJ over the years...I could be driving a Lexus...)

As far as creature comforts on the pontoon...we're okay with a 3 gallon porta potty and holding up a towel or something. We don't plan to be near crowds. The bimini provides enough shade and we've been in a few downpours so we know about that. We bring a little tarp with us to cover stuff in case of rain.

Will definitely look for a motor with tilt so we can beach. Will probably take the portable VHF radio from the sailboat too.
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:26 PM   #11
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,146 Times in 893 Posts
Default No protection

One other thing about pontoon boats is the lack of protection from cooler weather. Most have a small windshield for the pilot and maybe a small windshield for one passenger.

The season in NH is short. If you have a boat with something substantial to block the wind while underway it will be much more pleasant on cooler days. Pontoon boats are so open that when the temperature is in the 50's and 60's it will be really cool while underway. If you have a more enclosed boat it could extend both ends of the boating season quite a bit.

We all think about the sunny 80 degree days that make boating enjoyable but in NH there are many more days when it is just not that warm and you still want to take the boat out. Some protection from the wind while underway will substantially expand your season.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:08 AM   #12
soxfan

Kate, take a look at winnisquam marina's website, Great people and great sevice with a large inventory.
soxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:30 AM   #13
NoRegrets

Your posts and questions are great! While many come to the lake to sit on the porch and look to relax you are building a life. You are bringing the excitement and energy to the region that we need. Thank you!

We bought my parents a 22 foot Princecraft with a 50 HP mercury. It was enough for tubing and cocktail cruises only. Not really suitable for Winni. It was used on a small lake in Mass. The trailer and boat were huge to view but light and easy to haul. You probably want a changing screen and some sort of toilet.

The boat show idea is great. Even though there are many reputable marinas, we have always used Irwin Marine and highly recommend them.

We started our boating thinking we would trailer and explore the country but after we spent the first summer on Winnipesaukee the desire to trailer and explore was gone.
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 01:24 PM   #14
ronc4424

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
One other thing about pontoon boats is the lack of protection from cooler weather. Most have a small windshield for the pilot and maybe a small windshield for one passenger.

The season in NH is short. If you have a boat with something substantial to block the wind while underway it will be much more pleasant on cooler days. Pontoon boats are so open that when the temperature is in the 50's and 60's it will be really cool while underway. If you have a more enclosed boat it could extend both ends of the boating season quite a bit.

We all think about the sunny 80 degree days that make boating enjoyable but in NH there are many more days when it is just not that warm and you still want to take the boat out. Some protection from the wind while under
way will substantially expand your season.
Exactly what TiltonBB said......an enclosure will extend your boating season by a month or more. We put ours on as soon as the weather cools down and boat well into November. We use a portable Coleman propane heater, and that besides the solar effects from the sun I spend more time out of the room cooling off and grilling...lol. The only downside is you can't tow with it on. After towing boats for many years ( gets old fast ) we finally got a slip on Squam. We have had the slip for 15 yrs.
Also, don't forget you will have to take classes for a boating license.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:26 PM   #15
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronc4424 View Post
Exactly what TiltonBB said......an enclosure will extend your boating season by a month or more. We put ours on as soon as the weather cools down and boat well into November. We use a portable Coleman propane heater, and that besides the solar effects from the sun I spend more time out of the room cooling off and grilling...lol. The only downside is you can't tow with it on. After towing boats for many years ( gets old fast ) we finally got a slip on Squam. We have had the slip for 15 yrs.
Also, don't forget you will have to take classes for a boating license.
Two things to comment on:

First the boating Certificate... Make sure you get enrolled into a conveniently located class one your up here, and get it taken and over with. I even recommend this if you have a certificate some where else. Having a NH certificate will keep you from having to prove the equivalency of an out of start certificate.

The other, is on enclosures / windscreens for late / early season use. I have seen a few recommendations in this thread for them. And will not disagree that they will help extend your season. My comment is that this is an option that can always be added on later. Find a boat, by it, make sure for a season or two that it really fits your need. By that time, you will know if you like extending the season or not, and at that time, you can add an weather enclosure. Sometimes they can be added to existing Bimini tops, other times, it requires replacing the binimi top... But the bottom line is this shouldn't be a hard requirement, especially if you are looking at used boats.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:06 PM   #16
codeman671

Just saw this one pop up on craigslist. Having owned 2 Manitou's I can attest to the fact that they build a good boat. It looks like a good deal.

http://nh.craigslist.org/boa/2253177889.html
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:49 AM   #17
SigSauer

Default Go with the Berkshire Hathaway Tri-Toon

On lake Winnipesaulkee......."go big or go home".

Just an expression, I wish you and your partner an enjoyable move to the lakes region.

I have friends who have purchased the Southbay Tritoon, the lower cost option is the Berkshire Pontoon. Great products and plenty durable for the big lake.

Paugus Bay Marina may have some 2010 left over inventory of the Southbay models for a bargain.

http://www.southbaypontoon.com/

http://www.berkshirepontoon.com/defa...p?page=aboutus

Last edited by SigSauer; 03-08-2011 at 12:29 PM.
SigSauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:29 PM   #18
gf2020

Nice deal right here:

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...?do=ad&id=3154
gf2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:09 PM   #19
Steve Di.

Default Good Deals!

I took a look at Winnisquam Marina's site and saw some good deals there. Most of the good deals are the Pontoon boats. There were some relatively new pontoon boats in the price range of being asked for by the 8 to 10 year old fiberglass boats.

In an earlier post I saw that someone mentioned the pontoon boats lack shelter from the elements; I disagree. I have seen some with side curtains and removable windshields. Most come with a good deal of canvas; I think one could even turn their toon into a camper if necessary.
Steve Di. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:41 PM   #20
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Wow,gf2020...that is like a brand new boat for 10K....somebody better jump on that !
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:51 AM   #21
Woodsy

Cate...

A girlfriend of mine has both a 26 Donzi and a 24 'toon.... guess what one she spends the most time on??

I think shopping around is your best bet... go to the dealers and see what different ones they have in inventory, what you need for amenities (porta potty) and the different layouts you like...

then start scouring craigslist.... lots of financially distressed boats to be had!

Woodsy
Old 03-22-2011, 12:54 PM   #22
Seeker

I have a Bennington 2075FS I bought new in 2003. Absolutely no problems with it. It has the optional larger logs, bow mounted trolling motor, privacy enclosure, 2 fishing chairs forward and a 50hp 4-stroke Mercury Bigfoot. I've used it well for 8 years and it still looks brand new.

I have this on a smaller lake and would NOT take it to Lake Winnie. Even on my small 1000+ acre lake I can get pretty wet when the wind really kicks up. I would definitely recommend this for calm waters. It does just about 22 with the 50 Merc. It would be underpowered for the big lake. The dog loves it also.

I have a deep v center console I kept on Winnie and I found that more suitable when the weekend warriors arrive.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote