Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-23-2010, 03:03 PM   #1
soxfan

Default channel marina

can anyone tell me how the traffic is coming in and out of paugus bay, I am a new boater and will be valeting at channel
soxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 04:42 PM   #2
NHskier

You might get more replies in the Boating forum but in any event...

On busy weekends you will find that the channel can back up either way. Of course it's more apt to be on the Paugus side in the morning and on the lake side later in the day but on a good-weather weekend day in July/Aug it's usually busy.

That said, you've got maneuvering room in that areas since the channel begins to open up wider there. You also have somewhat less of a problem with the current (particularly in early season or after extended rains when the dam is opened up). We slip at Thurston's and it's much tighter.
soxfan (12-23-2010)
Old 12-23-2010, 05:11 PM   #3
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Welcome to the forum

Welcome, soxfan, and enjoy your boat and Lake Winnipesaukee.

I'm sure that even in busy times, you will find courteous boaters that will let you cross and get into the flow going out of the channel.

Have a Merry Christmas.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:02 PM   #4
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Current is a bit tricky at times, but on the most part people will let you in if you are quick. Steering is almost non existent at slow speed going with the current so you have to cross quick to get in line heading against the current. (Toward the big lake.) Pulling into the marina is OK after you get used to it as the current lets off the closer you get to the docks. When I was there I used to learn to slide it in with the current. Looked liked I was docking like a pro, when I really didn't even know what I was doing..... They had guys that would help you pull in back then. Don't know if the dock people are still there.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:43 PM   #5
Belmont Resident

Default Things to consider.

There are no problems to getting in and out of channel marina.
Now getting out or into the channel can be very frustrating at times.
The channel itself gets backed up from one end to the other on busy weekend days.
Another thing to consider is bike weekends. Unless you have a way of getting dropped off by another boat during bike week, they shut down the bridge and you have to go around and come in Rollercoaster Rd to get to your boat. That can take up to an hour depending on traffic coming from either direction.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Belmont Resident For This Useful Post:
soxfan (12-26-2010)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2010, 08:10 PM   #6
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts
Default No real problem

The boat traffic and the current are not something I would be overly concerned with.

The current is only an issue in the spring when the run off from the winter snow occurs and the lake level is being maintained. The location of Channel Marine is in a wider portion of the channel and the rack boats typically go behind the boathouses for docking. The current would be no issue there.

The boat traffic is only an issue at certain times of the day and only real heavy on weekends. Many people enjoy watching the boats and people go by and going through the channel is just another part of their day to enjoy.

Bike Week the bridge is only potentially closed down the second weekend from Thursday noon until Sunday and for the last few years the traffic has been light so they hardly closed the bridge at all.

You have picked a great, very convenient area in the central part of the lake. I am sure you will really enjoy it there.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
soxfan (12-26-2010)
Old 12-27-2010, 12:44 PM   #7
sa meredith

Default valet

Not sure what size the boat is???? But, aside from the channel (which I have come to hate at times...we valet at Pagus Bay Marina, and I've had my fill of the 3/4 mile no wake zone) , if it is your first season boating, maneavering thru the entrance to the valet area at Channel can be tough on a new boater (again, depending on boat size). If it is 23or bigger, there are couple of tight turns, and plenty of docked boats to avoid.. The good news, is that your skills will sharpen quickly, as you will have no choice but to get thru. Take your time, and never be afraid to announce yourself as a rookie...you will find most people all too willing to help out, and offer advice.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sa meredith For This Useful Post:
soxfan (12-28-2010)
Old 12-27-2010, 03:26 PM   #8
robmac

I agree with sa, the 3/4 mile NWZ can be almost a reason not to go out but then again once out my smile always broadens. I moved to another marina to avoid the headache so if I'm in the channel then it's by choice and the traffic and Capt.Boneheads are just a part of my decision to go through there.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:34 PM   #9
Baja Guy

I don't think the channel is too difficult. If you pull out and want to turn the "wrong" way during heavy use you can always merge right and then pull a U turn once you are in the traffic flow.
On weekends it's busier, just be nice and others will probably be nice to you.
If they aren't we will all make faces and stick our tongues out at them!

It's funny how different people have different perceptions of things. I like to boat on bike week because It seems to me that there are fewer boats than other times.

If you are a new boater get some low speed manuevering practice and a really long boat hook!
Old 12-29-2010, 08:38 AM   #10
Nauset

Default $$$

What is the ballpark cost to valet a boat at Channel Marine? Let's say a 23 footer.

I kept a boat docked on the channel for several seasons and always enjoyed being there. It is where the action is. Places to walk to. People/boat watching. Fun times.
Nauset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:48 AM   #11
John A. Birdsall

Default channel Marine

I would think it would depend on the time of year. I seriously do not think that there would be much of any boat traffic this time of year. But the ice might be a slight problem. I think there would have been no ice problem though on the 7th of December.

Happy New Year, have another warm cider.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:20 PM   #12
sa meredith

Default not the channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Guy View Post
I don't think the channel is too difficult. If you pull out and want to turn the "wrong" way during heavy use you can always merge right and then pull a U turn once you are in the traffic flow.
On weekends it's busier, just be nice and others will probably be nice to you.
If they aren't we will all make faces and stick our tongues out at them!

It's funny how different people have different perceptions of things. I like to boat on bike week because It seems to me that there are fewer boats than other times.

If you are a new boater get some low speed manuevering practice and a really long boat hook!
Nothing difficult about the channel. What is a bit tricky is the entrance to the Channel Marine valet area. Couple of very tight turns.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:37 AM   #13
caloway

Default channel

The Wiers channel is no problem. Just merge. The Channel channel is more of an issue. If you're a new boater, don't be afraid to ask for help. They'll move your boat for you and save you the repair bill on your outdrive.
caloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:18 PM   #14
sa meredith

Default $$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauset View Post
What is the ballpark cost to valet a boat at Channel Marine? Let's say a 23 footer.

I kept a boat docked on the channel for several seasons and always enjoyed being there. It is where the action is. Places to walk to. People/boat watching. Fun times.
Have not shopped price in a couple years...but for past few have paid 3K/yr for valet for fully indoor, unlimited in/out, and year round storage, including winterization at PBM. 3K represents a discounted, pay all at once by 3/30. Installments slighly higher. We like PBM...friendly staff, always plenty of good parking, two lifts, with two dock hands, keep things moving very good on prime weekends. Never more than 15 minutes. No call ahead required.
We have a 24' bowrider. Shopped around a bit two years ago for May thru Oct only...got figures of 1700/1900. I would guess everyone is about the same????
And, I would think it matters if you are fully indoors, or in a covered rack.
This should be a seperate thread...could be very useful tool for everyone to be sure they are getting a fair shake at their marina. Curious about other prices, and what restictions other marina may have. I have heard stories of surcharges if you come back in late, and they are closed. Nothing like that at PBM.
The Following User Says Thank You to sa meredith For This Useful Post:
Nauset (01-18-2011)
Old 01-03-2011, 06:22 PM   #15
sa meredith

Default funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A. Birdsall View Post
I would think it would depend on the time of year. I seriously do not think that there would be much of any boat traffic this time of year. But the ice might be a slight problem. I think there would have been no ice problem though on the 7th of December.

Happy New Year, have another warm cider.
Can't tell if you are joking. "Valet" refers to having your boat removed and put in everytime you use it. You pay per year, not per stop.
I would guess you were joking, though.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:17 PM   #16
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith View Post
Have not shopped price in a couple years...but for past few have paid 3K/yr for valet for fully indoor, unlimited in/out, and year round storage, including winterization at PBM. 3K represents a discounted, pay all at once by 3/30. Installments slighly higher. We like PBM...friendly staff, always plenty of good parking, two lifts, with two dock hands, keep things moving very good on prime weekends. Never more than 15 minutes. No call ahead required.
We have a 24' bowrider. Shopped around a bit two years ago for May thru Oct only...got figures of 1700/1900. I would guess everyone is about the same????
And, I would think it matters if you are fully indoors, or in a covered rack.
This should be a seperate thread...could be very useful tool for everyone to be sure they are getting a fair shake at their marina. Curious about other prices, and what restictions other marina may have. I have heard stories of surcharges if you come back in late, and they are closed. Nothing like that at PBM.
That's a pretty good price for everything. I end up paying about $3,600 or so for storage, slip, shrinkwrap and winterizing. I still prefer the in water slip to a rack, but both have their benefits. Channel is a bit tight, always has been. But you have proximity to the gas dock, and less of the NWZ to go through.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:57 AM   #17
sa meredith

Default for us

I guess for us (or at least me) the biggest benifits of valet over slip...always clean bottom, no water scum line. Never a worry about boat during mid summer huge rain/thunderstorms...boat is sleeping snuggly in a building.
Sometimes, after a long day in 90 degree heat, maybe a little spent, and anxious to just get off the lake...it's very convenient to just pull up and toss the keys to a dock hand...no tieing, no covering, sometimes not even a clean up...save it for next time.
Only downside is...need to plan ahead (by calling day before) if you want the boat before 8AM. Or if you forget something on board...kind of a project to retrieve it (sunglasses/phone/wallet regularly).
I think I'll start a thread in a few weeks, as people begin to get their renewal bills for slip/valet. Would be a quick, easy way for everyone to do a price comparison.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:40 PM   #18
robmac

I have doen slip,valet and ramp service at a few marinas on the lake. I have to be honest for the ease of use and not needing to plan ahead or worry about getting back to late looking for room at the valet docks,I am hands down in favor of ramp. My boats always stay looking clean and kept never a scum line and never a wait to get her in the water. Just my preference over way to many years.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:22 PM   #19
lawn psycho

Quote:
I guess for us (or at least me) the biggest benifits of valet over slip...always clean bottom, no water scum line. Never a worry about boat during mid summer huge rain/thunderstorms...boat is sleeping snuggly in a building.
Sometimes, after a long day in 90 degree heat, maybe a little spent, and anxious to just get off the lake...it's very convenient to just pull up and toss the keys to a dock hand...no tieing, no covering, sometimes not even a clean up...save it for next time.
Only downside is...need to plan ahead (by calling day before) if you want the boat before 8AM. Or if you forget something on board...kind of a project to retrieve it (sunglasses/phone/wallet regularly).
I think I'll start a thread in a few weeks, as people begin to get their renewal bills for slip/valet. Would be a quick, easy way for everyone to do a price comparison.
Price isn't the only consideration. The quality of the staff makes a difference too. I'll never set foot at Parker Marine after the poor customer service last year.
lawn psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:03 PM   #20
sa meredith

Default really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmac View Post
I have doen slip,valet and ramp service at a few marinas on the lake. I have to be honest for the ease of use and not needing to plan ahead or worry about getting back to late looking for room at the valet docks,I am hands down in favor of ramp. My boats always stay looking clean and kept never a scum line and never a wait to get her in the water. Just my preference over way to many years.
Ok, honestly, not looking for debate...but I find your post curious...
Am I to take it, that you are saying, pulling up to the ramp, waiting or docking, while someone goes to get the truck, back the trailor down the ramp, load up, secure the boat, cover it, make sure everything on the checklist is complete (I have watched people who trailor, when they launch...seems like a chore, to be sure), and then pull the boat to wherever, in traffic on a weekend...and maybe try to stop for drinks/dinner...so find a place with a big parking spot available. All that is easier than pulling up to a dock, and tossing someone the key???
Maybe, but I don't see it.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:51 PM   #21
Dave R

Quote:
Ok, honestly, not looking for debate...but I find your post curious...
Am I to take it, that you are saying, pulling up to the ramp, waiting or docking, while someone goes to get the truck, back the trailor down the ramp, load up, secure the boat, cover it, make sure everything on the checklist is complete (I have watched people who trailor, when they launch...seems like a chore, to be sure), and then pull the boat to wherever, in traffic on a weekend...and maybe try to stop for drinks/dinner...so find a place with a big parking spot available. All that is easier than pulling up to a dock, and tossing someone the key???
Maybe, but I don't see it.
I trailer mine all the time. We have it down to a science and it's very easy. I love to tinker and I love a spotless boat, so having it on the trailer and mere feet from my house makes it perfect for my needs. My boat is 11 years old and looks nearly new.

I also like to boat on the ocean, on rivers and on lakes other than Winnipesaukee, so the flexibility of the trailer makes that a piece of cake. I can be on the ocean in <30 minutes, on Winni in <1 hour or on the Hudson River and headed to NYC or Lake Champlain (a planned trip) in <4 hours.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:34 PM   #22
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
I trailer mine all the time. We have it down to a science and it's very easy. I love to tinker and I love a spotless boat, so having it on the trailer and mere feet from my house makes it perfect for my needs. My boat is 11 years old and looks nearly new.

I also like to boat on the ocean, on rivers and on lakes other than Winnipesaukee, so the flexibility of the trailer makes that a piece of cake. I can be on the ocean in <30 minutes, on Winni in <1 hour or on the Hudson River and headed to NYC or Lake Champlain (a planned trip) in <4 hours.
How big is your boat? Ain't no stinkin' way I want to have to trailer as the "we" part of me and my wife at the ramp make slipping or racking the ONLY way to enjoy our boat.

My wife is my buddy but at the boat ramp she turns into the anxiety queen. Nothing worse the hearing those words, DON'T YOU YELL AT ME
lawn psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:13 AM   #23
robmac

The marina we are at and have been for years has a privite ramp as well as a public. They make sure the public stays on their side,we have NEVER in all our years had to wait. As Dave R stated it also leaves the option being on wheels to go to another location if we ever chose to leave the big lake like winter perhapas in fl.By no means is it a big boat at 23 ft it is very easy to get in and out of the water. Valet was nice except when I've had a stressfull day and I get to the lake after marina hours how do you get your boat into the water? That was more stressfull for me. This issue is how you best enjoy your ability to access your boat and get it wet, IMHO ramp works best in at ice out and out long after Columbus day and no hauling her up and down the highway. Works for me.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:46 AM   #24
Belmont Resident

Default sameridith

Actually what Rob says make a lot of sense. Depending on what you have for a boat.
Rob has a very nice very expensive boat as many do.
I used to rack at Paugus Bay Marina.
Great place to rack, absolutely frustrating on a busy weekend getting in and out of the channel, but it also presents an opportunity for your boat to be damaged.
One thing you are overlooking is other boater’s actions. I had several instances that left scratches in my boat while it was at the docks at the end of the day. I always tried to dock in a spot that was not next to an empty spot. But I could not always do this.
No surprise too many of us how many boaters do not have a clue as to how to operate around a dock and docked boats. That being said the marina is not responsible for damage done to your boat by another boat while it is docked.
Good luck proving who might have put that scratch on your boat.
So the minute you leave your boat it is at the mercy of those operating around it and the marina has no obligation to repair your boat. That was one of the reasons I left rack storage and went back to trailering.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:11 AM   #25
Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn psycho View Post
How big is your boat? Ain't no stinkin' way I want to have to trailer as the "we" part of me and my wife at the ramp make slipping or racking the ONLY way to enjoy our boat.

My wife is my buddy but at the boat ramp she turns into the anxiety queen. Nothing worse the hearing those words, DON'T YOU YELL AT ME
Okay, your name is lawn psycho, and my husband is a psycho about our lawn, and I turn into an anxiety queen at the ramp waiting for my husband to yell at me. Are you my husband?
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:46 AM   #26
sa meredith

Default you're right

Yep...all good points I had not thought of. The most obvious being that many people use their boats in other bodies of water during the summer.
I guess, to be homest, I have never trailored/launched a boat, and don't have the 1st idea of how to do it. What I have done, however, is enjoyed a Bloody Mary at the Meredith Town Docks, watching non-stop entertainment that is people launching their boats. Wow...it seems at least half (1 out of every 2) ends in some type of shouting match...one of favorites is when the husband pulls away to go park the truck, and the wife has a very difficult time moving the boat out of the way for the next person, and docking in a very tight space. Creates huge stress. Now, understand, I am not making fun of these people...I myself would not have a clue about proper launching procedure. But would like to think I would ask/learn/practice, and eventually get it down. But so many people seem to turn it into a adventure.
Valet works well for me...but truth be told, I've never done it any other way.